5'3" weight? UPDATE

runner2

Cathlete
PHEW!:) The other thread was getting long and I also may add, how happy I was that I received so many responses.I know everyones bone structure,metobolism,etc...all play a big part in how we look but I wanted to know if it was possible for me to drop 10-15 lbs and live a normal life,without killing myself.;( I do think it is possible but I also think that it is going to take alot of effort on my part.
There are a few sayings I have heard that are good reminders."there is nothing that taste as good as being slim feels".(TRUE) I know how happy I am with myself when I am a little lighter and I am getting rady to go out on the town.When I think I look good,I have so much more confidence then I would if I were hiding under layers of clothes.I think I have to get "into" eating right.I know it will be hard at first, but within a week or two it will become routine.
So now that I know its possible,does anyone have any tips? Workout on a empty stomach? Weight train before or after cardio? Not eat after a certain hour at night? What were your tricks for dropping those last few pounds and how easy is it for you to maintain? Do you stick within a calorie range? Do you have a food journal?
Once again, let me add how happy I am that I got so many responses! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and help me out a little or to me its alot!

RE: 5'3

That is so true. Beauty really does start on the inside, & when you don't feel good about yourself it shows.

Well, I can give you the same tip I give everyone else--I swear by the Atkins diet. It's a very fast way to lose weight & for me it's been very easy. The only thing I do when I want to drop 5-10 lbs within a week or two is stay below 20 grams of carbs a day & do cardio at least 4 times a week.

i workout on an empty stomach only because i get up at 4:30 to workout before going to work.. if i were going to eat first i'd have to get up at like 3 so i could prepare it, eat it, then wait!

i drink a propel while working out. (a vice.... cuz it has a sugar product in it)

i don't buy into the "don't eat after such and such a time"... i eat 6 meals/snacks a day.. and the last snack is between 8 and 9 at night. IMO, it's all about calories burned vs calories in.. the time they go in doesn't matter!

i eat around 1800 calories a day on weekdays.. and a LOT more on weekends (cuz i burn a lot more riding my bike!)

i am a proponent of 6 meals (meals/snacks) a day... smaller portions.. but eat more often.. keeps your blood sugars more level and less likely to cause cravings.

i don't eat sugar (i use artificial sweetner.. splenda)

i don't eat fast food or candy (no chocolate! *gasp*) i DO eat ice cream but it's the 98% fat free no sugar added variety! (another vice!)

i don't drink diet soda (well.. ok.. maybe 1 a week if that)

i do eat carbs.. but GOOD carbs: whole wheat flour, whole wheat tortillas, brown ride, whole wheat spaghetti, kashi go lean crunch cereal, full cook oatmeal)

i eat TONS of veggies! and fruit! (certain fruits i don't eat though, cuz of their glycemic index.... i don't drink orange juice!)

i don't eat pre-processed food (frozen meals like lean cuisines or that weight watchers pushes... read the labels.. they are full of bad stuff even though the names sound like they are good.. they aren't!)

i only drink alcohol once a week (and i drink wine)

watch portions... cuz we americans think that the large servings we get at restaurants are the real deal.. they aren't! (a serving of spaghetti is 2 ounces uncooked! 3/4 cup of rice is a serving!)

i do whichever i feel like as far as weight tranining first vs cardio... depends on the day, etc...

i have a food journal (balance log)

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Be wary of Atkins diet. If you give this diet up, every you will gain it all back and maybe then some. Be educated about this diet, and decide if you are willing to make this a life change. Personally reasonable eating laoded with veggies and fruites is easier for me w/proper portion control.

QUICK EXCERPT FROM BELOW LINK

Your body also starts burning some fat. Burning fat without carbohydrates creates byproducts called ketones that build up in your bloodstream (ketosis). Your kidneys remove the ketones from your bloodstream and eliminate them from your body through urine. Ketones suppress appetite, but they may also cause fatigue and nausea. Proponents of the Atkins diet claim that "benign dietary ketosis" is a safe, natural condition necessary for weight loss. Finally, if the total calorie intake on a low-carbohydrate diet is low enough, this leads to loss of muscle tissue, which also shows up on the scale as weight loss.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=NU00268

>.........................................
>QUICK EXCERPT FROM BELOW LINK
>
>Your body also starts burning some fat. Burning fat without
>carbohydrates creates byproducts called ketones that build up
>in your bloodstream (ketosis). Your kidneys remove the ketones
>from your bloodstream and eliminate them from your body
>through urine. Ketones suppress appetite, but they may also
>cause fatigue and nausea. Proponents of the Atkins diet claim
>that "benign dietary ketosis" is a safe, natural condition
>necessary for weight loss. Finally, if the total calorie
>intake on a low-carbohydrate diet is low enough, this leads to
>loss of muscle tissue, which also shows up on the scale as
>weight loss.
>
>.........................................
>
>http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=NU00268

good excerpt!

if you are going to workout hard at cathe's level (and are you a runner? i'm assuming from your name?) you NEED carbs! just make sure it's GOOD carbs!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Nah, I have to refute that. While I did lose some strength it was minimal, & I regained it in about 8 weeks. No fatigue or nausea. No loss of muscle tissue. I work out very hard on a low carb diet--certainly at a higher level than probably 98% of people at my gym. I've been on Atkins for more than 2 years & I feel better at 37 than I did at 25.

However, I do agree that it's a lifestyle change, and that you gain weight very quickly when you go off it. That's why it's called Atkins For Life. But you really have to read the book to understand it.

With all respect Maximus this was a study conducted by the Mayo Clinic. While you may not have had these results it doesn't mean 1. they are not legitimate concerns 2. you are an unusual exception

I wouldn't give out medical advice on the fact it didn't happen to you. Atkins is NOT recommended by most doctors. My husband is a medical student, and when they studied all RECENT studies regarding fad diets Atkins was on the bottom of the list as being a GOOD reasonable diet. Actually South Beach Diet ranked as overall more healthy than the Atkins Diet. I know you had great results BUT any fad diet should be taken very seriously.

To the original poster if you seriously consider a restrictive diet like Atkins I would first talk to your doctor to see if it is appropriate fo you, and that is something you can not find out on a message board. Also seeing a RD ( registered dietitian) is another GREAT place to get help! Good Luck!!!

????????????? How was I giving medical advice???????? What a very strange thing to say. I was merely relating my own experiences on the diet.

Atkins is hardly a fad. It's been around for decades and it has worked for thousands. Just b/c you found a few articles that don't say it's the best diet doesn't mean it's wrong or bad. And for every opinion you find stating one thing, I can find ten that say something else.

In defense of Maximus....everyone is different. I don't believe medical doctors know everything there is to know about the human body or the human condition...that's why they call it "practicing medicine".

If it works for her, and she's healthy and feels good, what's the problem with it?

We are not all made the same. If you have read these forums for any length of time you know that what works for some does not work for others. A doctor gives you an approved guideline (UGH! POLITICS) that's supposed to be for everyone...well each of us is a different individual so how can this guideline work well for everyone.

Hi Runner2,

Here is a good saying for ya if you find eating a new way difficult at first: "It's not deprivation; it's liberation!"
That one helped me. (sorry, I never saw your previous thread.)

Here is what has worked for me:
I do journal my food and workouts. I stay within a caloric range for the most part now that I am pretty much maintaining my weight loss. I allow myself moderate "cheats" on a weekly basis, but there are certain things I cut out entirely because they just don't taste good enough or make me feel better enough for them to be "worth it".
I work out on an empty stomach if it is a pretty easy day (cardio only). If it is a long, hard workout, I'll have some oatmeal about an hour before. I find it helps with the energy. If it is a heavy weight day, I will have a 110 calorie, 20 gram protein drink after.
I like to do cardio after weights, because I get less soreness and I feel I have worked everything out a bit better. But I do both ways, just to keep my body guessing. It is more of an endurance challenge for me to do cardio first; I find I can't lift as heavy or go for as many reps, but still I try.
I eat about 6 times a day, even into the evening like the previous poster, but my evening calories are lower.
At least two quarts of water daily. I don't do any specific diet, however I do feel best when I do about a 40/40/20 range: 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats. If you would equate it with something popular, it would be the Zone. Clean carbs, lean proteins, healthy fats, no added sugars for the most part.

HTH! Julie

Maximus- You look great, and you say you feel great so I think you know exactly what your doing, and it shows...YOU ROCK!

Anyhow, what really helped me was giving up snacking after 6pm. Boy, did that make a difference for me.

Charlotte~~

www.nutrawatch.com has an online calorie calculator that keeps track of your goals as well as proteins/carbs/fat etc. When I wasn't seeing results someone on this forum suggested I count my calories - I hated the thought but this has made it easier. You can even put in a recipe and it figures out the calories for you. It records and graphs your info all for free!!! Of course you can pay and it'll keep track of everything you can imagine but the free sections have as much info as I need.
BTW I am 5'2.5" and I've been stuck at 120lbs since I was a teen. I am muscular but I also carry two fatty pouches on my back waist that I'd love to blast off. Maybe 2005 is the year!?!?

Another option for online food journalling is www.fitday.com. I have used this on and off for about 2 years now when I am serious about watching what and how much I eat.
Tracy

Awww, thank you Charlotte & Candi, you guys are so sweet. :)

And you're right, different things work for different people. You have to do what you're comfortable with and, most importantly, what you'll be able to live with, b/c it truly is a lifestyle change.

actually what you said about the article was : Nah, I have to refute that

not that well you didn't have that experiance and realize that it could happen to the op- there is a difference

my point was that this kind of diet may be healthy for one person but VERY unhealthy for another. To up on these kinds of fats may put a person at risk, that is why it is good to consult your doctor who knows your personal/and family health history. The found side affects for any extreme or unusual diet COULD potentially be dangerous, not something to sneeze at, that is why I spoke up. Also I bet this is why Cathe doesn't give actual diet information so she isn't liable if something unhealthy happens to that person and they try to blaim her. I'm trying to be careful not to offend you BUT diets CAN do harm to individuals, that unfortunately that is the truth. And point being that it works for YOU is GREAT, and the point is it is not for everyone.

Yes Atkins has worked for thousands but is hardly being embraced by the medical community as the cure all for obesity. That does mean something even if it doesn't mean something to you. Once again not trying to offend just giving the poster caution, never said she shouldn't do it did I? Oh and diet can link directly as medical advice as many can die due to unhealthy diets for their body makeup, if you want me to prove that I can provide links if you would like.

Not trying to be a nit but I find the way Americans embrace extreme regulated eating more often than not - scary. Talk to any nutrianist or RD and you will find they feel the same way.

Also the MAYO CLINIC is hardly SOME article as if I found this in Fitness Magazine.

We are not all made the same. If you have read these forums for any length of time you know that what works for some does not work for others. A doctor gives you an approved guideline (UGH! POLITICS) that's supposed to be for everyone...well each of us is a different individual so how can this guideline work well for everyone

You made my point exactly Candi. And an Registared Dietitian and/or a CERTIFIED Nutricianist can help SO much in helping you find what works for YOU. Also a doctor can tell you if he/she thinks a diet can put your body at a health risk. But an RD is where you can get some of the best individual help you can get period. They are educated and trained in health for a reason and are respected by the medical community. Heart Disease is the number one killer of women in America and thanks to these hard working individuals they are helping combat our lead KILLER IN AMERICA! They deserve the respect for helping save lives.

the guidelines of an RD:

http://www.eatright.org/Public/Careers/94_becomeanrd.cfm

A simple way to look at weight loss is this: To lose one pound of fat one must eliminate or burn 3500 calories. To drop 5 to 10 pounds in one week would require the elimination of 17,500 to 35,000 calories. My average weekly intake is a little more than 12,000 calories. I'd have to give up all my food and most likely increase my exercise to actually lose fat. Carohydrates don't make anyone fat. Too much of the wrong kinds of any food will do that. The trick of high protein diets is the fact that for every gram of carbohydrate stored, the body stores 3 grams of water. Much of the weight loss is water. Fat will be lost because in the long run, these diets are low calorie. My diet is low calorie too. It just does not disallow any food choice. The drop out rates for all such diets, including Atkins and Ornish, is very high because most people cannot tolerate such a limited choices. My diet is very clean and very high in complex carbohydrate but I eat butter, chocolate, cheese, real sour cream, etc., regularly. In very small amounts. And, of course, it's true that different things work for different people but I like the idea of getting all my nutritional needs from my diet and not considering any food off limits as long as they are consumed within my daily caloric intake and not over-consumed. Life's too short to give up rich dark chocolate or warm French bread! :)
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

It really depends. Picking an RD or a nutritionist is best done I would think through your insurance provider or ask your doctor for a referral. Also

http://www.eatright.org/Public/index_8040.cfm

scroll down and on the left side you can put your zip in for a listing from the ADA, which means it is realiable.

Word of caution dietitian/nutritionist are buzz words right now. Make sure you find one who is CERTIFIED and has a BA at least, and didn't take a crap weekend course somewhere. Sticking to the ADA is a good idea or a doctor referral so you know they are legitamite. And any RD has to have I believe 5 or so years of schooling so they are even a better way to go. FWIW my DH in his medical school last year was taught nutrition by an RD so they are highly regarded in the medical field.

eta: some nicer health clubs provide nutrionists for a fee that is another place to look.

here's a good link for further info:

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/nutritionist.html

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.