40s - the next week 3/20/11

fitover40

Cathlete
Hey all, getting us started. I did STS Meso 2 Legs yesterday (disc 14), and today Disc 13 (ch/sh/tri). My neck muscle is feeling a bit pulled or nerve crimped or something, first I think I slept on it wrong again and then the w/o today didn't help. How was everyone's weekend? We had a nice time yesterday with both of the boys here. They went shooting at the range and a nice dinner out. I have a headache today, Sunday that won't go away either. I wish there were 3 days in a weekend!

Good morning!

Hi, Lisa! Good for you, working out with a sore neck and a headache! That's commitment!

I did 35 minutes on the elliptical, and it was enough of a challenge. Last week I developed a problem with my foot and required some more surgery (minor, this time), so I was back on the disabled list for a couple of days and didn't do much over the weekend.

I've got to go roll the kids out of bed. We're still not accustomed to the time change -- it feels too early!

Kathryn, it's a good thing I was so committed this weekend because today, nothing, didn't sleep well so turned off the early get up to exercise alarm. I've decided sleep is better than exercising lately.

Hi girls! Today will be disc 15. Did 14 on Sat., and of course my beloved rower! Lisa, sleep is always preferred! How is your neck feeling? I've never been to a shooting range, sounds like it could be fun. Kathryn, sorry about your foot. Amazing that you got on the elliptical so soon! I am not used to this time change yet either! DH let me sleep in today, he got the kids off to school! What a great gift. Hi to Murphy, Ronne! Have a good day. Mary

Hi everyone

Had a very busy weekend all focused on DD's gymnastics. She had training on Sat morning and a competition yesterday which took up most of the day! She passed tho' so it was worth it!

No workouts for me this weekend as I was still recovering. I did Body Training, legs today. Thought I'd ease myself in gently. It did the trick.

Lisa - sleep is always the preferred option!
Kathryn - bad luck about the foot! Glad to hear you're back moving again, so quickly.
Mary - you're sticking to your rower challenge. Well done!

Bye for now!

I did thelower body portion of HR and increased the weights. It felt good. slacked off a lot last week so I am trying to do better this week. The time change has messed up the DDs' sleep schedule so of course mine is off too!

Ditto on everything Ronne said and Ronne, congrat's on DD gymnastics.

Murphy

Good morning! Today I forced myself out of bed and did Gym Style Legs (the 32-minute premix). How my standards have changed. I used to think it wasn't really a workout unless it lasted an hour. Now I'm just thrilled to actually show up!

We're having one of those fake springs -- lots of warm weather (and pollen)... but I'm betting we'll have another bout of winter yet.

Lisa, I almost decided that sleep was better than exercising today, but bailed at the last minute. Tomorrow I'll sleep in.

Ronne, my DD takes gymnastics classes at a gym with a very good team. The coaches are former trainers and gymnasts from the former Soviet Union (and they are tough!)... but DD doesn't have the flexibility or the body to be a competitive gymnast, so she just does it for fun. She also doesn't have the personality -- you've got to be tough and able to accept it when you don't win. My DD would fall apart! You must be very proud of your daughter!

Mary, the doc told me I can do the elliptical, but no impact activities. I supposed I could try to get back into golf (except that I can't wear the shoes due to swelling!)... gosh, I'm just so un-motivated these days!

Murphy, is HR High Reps? I did that once. I noticed that Cathe has made the music to some of these workouts available on iTunes. Funny: I don't remember the music as being anything I'd want to download. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I did the upper body portion only.

Well, off to work. Have a great day, everybody!

Hello everyone

Murphy - well done on getting a workout in. Upping the weights? Very impressive!

Kathryn - Wow your DD's gymnastics set-up sounds great! Tho' I can imagine how tough it would be. DD's club does local competitions but is at the lower end - there are clubs round here where the girls train 20 hours a week. They look amazing but I don't think my DD would cope either.
Doing any part of GS Legs is impressive - give yourself a pat on the back.

Today I did MMA Boxing. Just the right thing but I'm starting to feel quite sleepy now! I feel like I'm starting to lose some of my fitness level - don't know if it's age. ;)

I actually did HIIT 30/30 today. I was going to sleep in, again since I was up until 1am, having fun with my GFs. They came over since DH is out of town, we had wine and lots of fun and laughter. But I ended up waking up a bit earlier than the alarm to get up for work (albiet with a slight headache, hangover?)

Ronne, I bet DD is really good at gymnastics given that you are pretty flexible. And I hate to admit it but I'm feeling the same as you with fitness level and age, but honestly I think if I didn't have all the stress of work I would do so much better. Stress just zaps the body. Things could be getting tougher at work too, the team lead is pregnant and it's high risk so they are taking some of her responsiblities and giving to others. I see work coming my way and if it gets too much worse, I may have to tell my contracting company either pay more or I walk (and be prepared to walk or stay if they meet salary requirements). I have time, and need not to fret. September could get interesting (for lack of a better word).

Kathryn, I was soooo impressed that you did GS Legs, until I read that it was the premix.:p That one has a dread factor for me lately and you know what, some is better than none, right!?!?! That's my new motto :)
I did notice the iTunes music of Cathe's I didn't know it was special music that wasn't recorded already by some artist?

Murphy, I love breaking up HR and doing only lower or upper portion. that's the way I use it the most!

Mary, ah, your love for the rower is growing! Yes, my neck is better, thank goodness, now I just have to make sure not to fall asleep at my desk today. It's hard being a partying girl at the ripe old age of 46 :)

Hi girls! Today I did the rower (I have a hate relationship with that thing! Only 9 more days and we will be done with this self imposed challenge!) the TM and the heavy bag w/o from Rumble. Kathryn, GS legs after surgery?! That is impressive! Be good to yourself. Also, impressive on your DD! If one of those coaches were to yell at me, I probably would run out of the gym crying! Murphy, what a good idea to split that w/o up! Ronne, I do like that body training, nice to get yourself back in the swing of things. Did you order her new one's? I would like to try the split sessions one. Lisa, from what you describe, it does sound like a bit of a hangover! Easy to do with wine tho! And you did a HIIT w/o? You are impressive too! Have a good night! Mary

Hi all

Lisa - that's impressive, a late night, a hangover then a Hiit! I think you're right about the stress thing. I'm incredibly busy with work at the moment and although I'm not stressed, it's taking its toll on my physically. It's annoying but at least I can be sensible and not go all out all the time.

Mary - yes, I caved in, in the end. Ordered just the splits, I've seen the preview and it looks pretty good.

Today I did ME. Felt it but it wasn't an absolute killer. Going out for dinner tonight with a friend - we still haven't decided where we're going!

Day off...

Okay, don't anybody be too impressed! Gym Style Legs has two premixes -- one about 32 minutes and the other about 45-ish. I don't have time in the morning to do the entire video, so I just do one of the premixes instead. I agree on the dread factor, so if you feel like you need legs but can't face the whole workout, do a premix. Ditto for Butts and Guts!

So far I find the most difficult exercise to be lunges. I no longer have the joint that allows the right foot to bend at the base of the toe joint (for the leg in back), so it is very awkward. It's so tempting to use that as an excuse to avoid lunges altogether, but summer is coming and my legs have had a very long vacation!

Ronne: The team girls (as we call them) at DD's gym are very competitive. One girl is a Level 10 -- just below Olympic level. Many of these girls are home-schooled so that they can spend most of their waking hours at the gym. I don't know how they do it -- the coaches are very tough and push them hard. These girls are outstanding to watch (there is always a bunch practicing during DD's class). However, that is not the life for us. These girls do nothing else. Somebody is always banged up, bruised, bandaged, wrapped or strapped, too.

Well, I've got to go pick DS up. Have a great day, everybody!

Hi everyone, been so busy at work (yet trying not to stress over it) that I almost forgot to check in! I did STS Meso 2, week 1 back/bi (I think that's disc 15----I start losing count after 12) :)

Kathryn, lunges, ugh, my back leg feels it worse, and sometimes my back knee doesn't like it for some reason either!

Ronne, when you put it that way, it sounds funny. Maybe a new rotation? Late night, hangover, then Hiit :) I did feel much better after taking a migraine pill AND getting away from the computer screen once I got home.

Mary, how did you zoom past me on STS? :)

Murphy, what's up in your neck of the woods? I quit watching news so I know nothing of what goes on (like when you were getting lots of rain).

BTW, Elizabeth Taylor died, somehow I saw that when I googled something to find for work. What could I have possibly googled?????

Hi everyone! Today was just the TM (intervals) and the flipping rower. Lisa, I'm not really ahead of you, I just did disc 15 on Mon. I did see about Elizabeth Taylor. She was a beautiful woman. Ronne, you will have to let me know about split sessions. That one caught my eye. Kathryn, is it hard to walk with your foot? That sounds mighty painful! Murphy, where are you? One of DH's friends gave us a copy of P90X, maybe this summer? Well, off to make dinner then off to DS's spring concert! Talk to you tomorrow. Mary

Mary, so the rower is now being affectionately called 'flipping rower' :p

I found P90X very boring, a complete yawn-fest.

Hi everyone

Kathryn - so have you had a joint removed? That sounds really painful and like a very good reason not to do lunges :confused:.

Lisa - I think that sounds like a great rotation! No ski days for you this week?

Mary - hope the spring concert was good (or bearable at least!)

Had a nice evening with my friend last night. We had lots to catch up on. Today I did Step/Intervals from CTX, just the cardio. About the right level for me at the moment!

Hey girls. I have no, ziltch, nada energy. I'm zapped. I think it's because of TOM coming up. Did I tell you all of the awful hot flashes I had sunday? It was like burning up from the inside out. I started throwing off the covers and stripping down naked. So anyway, didn't sleep well, my wrist is hurting....carpal tunnel, I have a brace on it now. This is what happens when I work, guess it's finally built up to this, again. I didn't feel like rushing into work after trying to squeeze in a low energy workout so I skipped it. I can't be skipping too much, but I'm pampering myself this week, bad week for hormonal stuff....headaches, hot flashes, can't sleep.
Speaking of sleep, I talked to a 64 yr old friend and she is just now getting to the 'can't sleep' phase, she's said she's heard of friends having problems and was so glad she didn't have them, but now she is. I thought after menopause this no sleeping thing would get better, she burst my bubble. Are we just meant to never get a good night's sleep?

Hi girls! Just the TM and rower today, have lots of running to do today, will have to get STS in tomorrow. Lisa, boy that is bad news about the sleep and hot flashes! I was hoping it would all be done sooner, rather than later! I have been getting flashes EVERY night! My poor DH comes to bed in a hoodie, sweat pants and socks! Ronne, glad you had fun with your friend! Hi to Kathryn and Murphy! I need to get to the shower and pick up kids for the orthodontist! Mary

I did STS Meso 2 legs (disc 17) today. Tough workout but I feel better. I like those tri-sets as I know when it's almost over. That calf work at the end is harder than I remember it being.

everyone have a good weekend, it's FRIDAY! And the Boss is out of the office, woo hoo!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.