4 DAY SPLIT VERSUS CROSS TRAIN EXPRESS

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
After doing 4 day split, I have decided that I way prefer Cross Train Express.

It is my favorite Cathe series.

The choreography is far more fun and doable. None of those fast feet shuffles and leaping over the step. I really am so over fast feet shufflles and leaping over steps.; The High Impact Step workout is not as intense as it could be. That bow and arrow move just slows the entire pace down.

The weight work in Cross Train Express works with the music much better. I really have trouble with the cueing in 4 day split.

And Cathe keeps every workout under one hour in Cross Train Express. I also like the Leaner Legs alone instead of tacked on a cardio workout.

While 4 day split has better videography, set design and better music, I just am not as impressed with it as I am Cross Train Express.

I went back to Cross Train Express this rotation and am loving it.

If I were to advise a person on which I would buy, I would definitely recommend Cross Train Express. It is a far better investment despite the premix options in 4 Day Split.

Hi Amy,

You have great timing: I was just debating beteween getting CTX or 4DS.

Since I like to do 35-40 of cardio, because I workout only 3 times/week, I thought that CTX would offer much more possibilities to combine routines to get to 35 min. I also felt that it would offer more impact than 4DS (thses days I do BM2, Hardcore Extreme (just the hi/lo though!) and Step blast). It seems to me that CTX would be more like those workouts in term of intensity than 4DS. Am I right?

What makes me hesitate is the weight work. I can workout only 3 days/week: I do about 90 min. of cardio and weights in one workout and I try to workout all major muscle groups every time. So, I feel that I might get better results with the heavy weights in 4DS than in CTX. What do you think?

Thanks
Nathalie

Those fast feet shuffles are the Devil's workshop}( I fell doing them in 4DS the other day and thought I had reinjured my ankle. (I fell last year and tore tendons) Consequently, I have started a CTX rotation. CTX is the "total package" and one of Cathe's best, IMO.

Sarah

Hi Nathalie,

CTX has 50 minute total upper body workout that's excellent. Leaner legs is a killer 36 minute leg workout. You can alternate the total upper body workout with leaner legs every workout so you'll wind up working UB 2x, LB 1x one week, then the next week you'll do LB 2x and UB 1x. Power Circuit is also a LB circuit workout. CTX also includes 4 ab workouts. You CANNOT go wrong with CTX. The choreography is easy to pick up, fun and the intensity level is much higher than in 4DS. I bought most of my Cathe collection last year (around 45 workouts) and CTX was my favorite.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I busted my A** doing those fast feet shuffles in 4DS and then I fell face first trying to negotiate the step across step jump in the HIS.

I also dislike the use of the stability ball for the tricep dips in the Boot Camp. I just do the dips with one leg crossed.

The beauty of Cross Train Express is that the weight work is good, solid program that works - esp. in conjunction with the Gym Styles.

And the heart rate stays in the training zone without the fear factor I associate with HIS's final blast.

To me, there are too many dangerious and unnecessary moves in 4 day split.

Even in the Boot Camp part, use of the resistance band as a prop is tricky to negotiate.

4 Day Split does have beautiful set design, production and music. I had no trouble with the choerography, but that final blast in HIS is not a safe move for me.

Nathalie,

CTX has an upper body split section that includes all the weight work (except legs) in one workout. So if you are wanting to hit every major muscle group, you could easiy tack the upper body split on to the cardio of your choice -- I love the 10-10-10 of CTX because there is 10 min of hi/low, 10 min of kickbox, and 10 min of step.

Dollar for Dollar, CTX is the ultimate exoress workout series.

Your comments have been a great help for me in deciding between CTX and 4DS. I had a feeling that CTX would suit me better but I was wondering if the more recent workout would be better. Not so, from what I gather! Sometimes, the newist thing is not always what suits us the best! So it's settled: I'm going to get CTX! Thanks.
Nathalie

I like them both for various reasons:
Why I like CTX:
1. Most workouts under one hour
2. Weight work is endurance based
3. LL and CTX Upper body only adds a lot of value to my CTX set
4. Music is kind of unique and different
Why I like 4DS:
1. I can go a bit heavier for the weight work
2. I like the new choreography including the hopping over the step and the fast feet shuffles and pretty much everything everyone else was complaining about on this thread...tee hee!
3. I actually like the leg workout after the kickboxing workout b/c the leg workout as a stand alone doesn't seem like a tough enough workout. Putting the two together makes it just about perfect in my opinion.
4. The cardio isn't killer leaving me with energy and strength to lift pretty heavy afterwards.
5. Love, love, love that I can get it "all" done in 4 days with more rest days or a cardio or circuit or functional day or two thrown in.
While 4DS isn't my favorite series from Cathe (and the music leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion except for a couple of cool tunes) it definitely has its benefits for me.
Angela:7

I agree with all of your "Why I like 4DS" !! I enjoy CTX also and pull out the cardios, but the weight work (other than LL which I love) never gets me excited. I am really enjoying the heavier weights.

Have a good day!
Mary

Hi Angela!

Regarding the cardio on HIS, I think some people (like me) just are not fast enough to negotiate those steps in the third blast. I am on medication that affects my balance and that might be why I find that blast so difficult

I think some of us are fit - but are not fast enough for that blast. I have no problem with cardio endurance and cardio is my favorite form of exercise! I am a tortoise I reckon when it comes to fast feet shuffles and the jump across the step.

Then some lucky people like you are natural Energizer Bunnies!

Cheers!

Amy

I'm so glad you posted this comparison because I was just debating on whether it was worth buying CTX over 4DS. I ordered CTX this afternoon, and it's such a relief to read from your post that I didn't make a regrettable purchasing decision :)

Right now I prefer the 4DS. I did a CTX rotation just before the 4DS arrived and the only thing I don't like is the hi/lo segments. The cardio is way more advanced in CTX. Just my opinion. I like the 4DS stepwork because it's very intricate and challenging (for me). I hate fast feet, but I do it at my own pace. I like the heavier weight work in the 4DS.

Missy

I like CTX so much better than 4Day Split....I think it is way more fun and so much better cued!!!!! I think HIS is dangerous and the cueing is terrible. I always think that a person should be able to do a step routine without looking at the screen every second......the cueing should be good enough not to. But, the only way I can do it, is by not taking my eyes off the TV.

This is such helpful information. I've been looking at both series as well and was leaning towards CTX. This is the one I will buy thanks to your great input!

Amy

I agree with your post. Although I LIKE 4 day split, I prefer CTX. I have done 4 day split several times now. And although I REALLY like the weight training segment, I find the Cardio way to short and I don't really find it enjoyable (no offense to anyone that does, just my preference). It is at times confusing and unproductive. Even if I do the double cardio step premix, I don't find it to be a great cardio challenge. The kick box and drill cardios are harder, but still don't accomplish the same as CTX. I love the flow of CTX, and after the 6 day series, I feel worked out. 4 day split - I feel like I am missing something, and I usually want to go to the gym and get 30 minutes in on a machine. All Cathe's workouts are great, and there is always a place to put them in your routine. This package is not one of my favs, but I use it alot for the weight work.

I posted in the Suggestions forum that Cathe come out with CTX 2 this year. Anybody want to add to chorus?

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I'm so glad I came across all of your posts! I just ordered CTX yesterday when I preordered STS. I was really really on the fence but I had the money so I figured I would get it now. I have 4DS which I really like excecpt LIS and HIS are really really hard to get the steps. I love love love the Bootcamp and Kickbox workouts. they are my faves because they kick a** and are not too long. I also love the weight work but I think there should be more exercises to them. I did not get as sore doing 4DS as I have with other Cathe workouts. I don't think I will ever be able to get all the moves in HIS and LIS. They are really really complicated and some moves are just too advanced for me. But that's okay. I just modify. MAYBE eventually I will get it. Anyway, thanks for the input on CTX. Now I can't wait to get it!!! :)
Theresa

PS: I just wanted to add that I do really enjoy the music in 4DS. Its fun. My 7 year olds really like it too. I was doing shoulders yesterday and my one daughter, Savannah, was playing near me and I could see her dancing (she was sitting) out of the corner of my eye! She said to me "cool music mom." Very cute. Have a nice day everyone!
:)

I will be selling my 4-day split dvd's if anyone is interested. I had major knee issues after I did the preorder and will never be able to do these dvds.
Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.