30 Day Veggers - Day 2

Liann

Cathlete
Well, I am all set this morning. Ate a whole wheat English muffin with some organic Strawberry spread for breakfast. For lunch, I made myself a salad with romaine lettuce, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms and feta cheese. Not sure about dinner yet. I plan to run out at lunch time and pick up some cookbooks, so maybe I will get some inspiration from one of those. Hope everyone is having a good day so far! I am going to have to go back to yesterday's thread and write down all of those yummy recipes you guys shared!

so for so good for me. I had Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread for breakfst. I am taking left over stir fry for lunch and I am taking some fresh raspberries for a snack.

I am going out to dinner and a movie with friends afterwork so I am a little nervous about what to eat.

GOod morning!

Liann-I read about your DH's 'meat gift' last night. Poor sport...that's what he is! lol

Day 1 went well...finished off last night with movie theater popcorn! No meat in there, right? LOL Not clean eats, that's for sure, but it was yummy all the same and I purposely saved some calories for that....so it was a planned splurge.

The boys wanted scrambled eggs for Bfast, so I'm having scrambled whites and a ww muffin. My planned menu is pretty easy today. I've got a salad for lunch, and for dinner I'm either going to roast some veggies like Judy suggested or make a vegetarian soup! YUMMY!

Have an awesome day! BBL

Gayle

Liann

I just read about the ground beef incident with your DH last night. Im so sorry about that.

My DH and I had several talks about it through the day and I had to explain to him in a couple of different ways that this was not just something I was doing to drop a few pounds or cleanse my system.

I told him it was because I had such a strong feeling regarding what I saw in the videos we watched. With each conversation he got on board a little more. Although I do feel he thinks I will "cheat" with him on the weekends. My mother freaked out a little and wanted to know "what on earth will I cook for you when you visit???"

I think it will take time for everyone in our lives to accept the journey we are taking. Isn't it amazing that we change what we eat and it effects so many people?

Teri - Good luck with the dinner! If you know where you are going ahead of time, look them up on the internet first to get an idea of the menu. That is what I am going to be doing this Friday. I always go to lunch with some girls from work and I am making mental notes of "safe" foods - baked potato, salad, veggie wrap, soup, etc... What is really going to be a challenge is when it comes to dinners with family. Not looking forward to the that.

Gayle - I may have to try those roasted veggies too. Those sounded sooo yummy! Gotta love popcorn! Definitely the vegetarian snack of choice. ;)

Teri - Boy do I hear you! I love how everyone else acts so pained by this "ridiculous" sacrifice we are making! My DH was like, "but how can you not eat steak????" They act like we are anorexic or something and need to be talked out it. Family gatherings are where I am going to have the most problems. I know my sisters (I have three) and their DH's are going to give me heck for it. I love how people act put out by it, but really it's no extra work on their part. For Labor day, I am just going to bring my own meatless hot dog to grill and some whole wheat rolls. I can eat everything else that is there. So it's not hurting anyone. Same for at home. I will simply substitute something for the main meat for me and let my DH still have what he would normally have. So why do they act like it is so difficult for them???

Good morning,

Today will be a pretty easy day for me eating wise. For breakfast I had chai tea with soy milk and peanut butter and honey on toast. I still have leftovers to eat for lunch. Tonight my boyfriend is making jalepeno hummus. I just need to stop at Central Market for some delicious bread and carrots to have with it.

I'm really glad that I being held somewhat accountable by this check-in and/or challenge. I'm getting married in one month and soon after will start trying to get pregnant, so I will be fully prepared (eating-wise) for pregnancy!

Can anyone recommend a good vegan cookbook that doesn't really heavily on faux meats? I have Vegan with a Vengeance and How it all Vegan, but most of there pastas, stir fries, etc. seem to have imitation meat. I can do tofu and that's about it. I really would prefer to just up my veggies, fruits and like that!

Vanessa

Good morning!

Liann - you'll find that lots of people will try to sabotage you. I have a friend whose daughter wanted to try going veg, and she cooked her all her favourite meat dishes to persuade her not to. Unfortunately, it worked. I thought that was just plain rotten, and she was only doing it because it would have been a pain for her to try to cook different things for her child.

This morning for breakfast I had my usual cereal with soy milk and sliced banana. My snack was an apple and a protein pancake with natural pb. Lunch MIGHT be Mexican, in which case I will have a plain taco salad (no meat) with extra beans on top. If it's not Mexican, then I'm having a sandwich with a bit of cheese, tomato and avocado on 12 grain bread, toasted. YUM!

You guys should check out www.101cookbooks.com Her recipes are awesome and a lot of them are really quick and simple.

Happy Wednesday, lovely veggies! :)

Liann, I am so sorry about the ground beef incident with your DH. Men can be so thick sometimes. Just stick to your guns and eventually he'll catch on that you're serious. When I decided to go veg, I flat out told my DH "I'm going to be a vegetarian now, and since I do the cooking, you will have to eat what I make. If you want meat, you'll have to cook it yourself." He's not much of a cook, so he got on board pretty quickly. ;) As a result of ME going vegetarian, HE lost 40 pounds. :eek: (Totally unfair, by the way!!!) He has been completely fine with our veggie lifestyle, and he still eats chicken and fish from time to time.

It's unfortunate, but there will be many people who will try to undermine your efforts. Especially family and friends, who think you will be malnourished, or who are simply jealous of your level of commitment. You just have to stay one step ahead of them - bring your own veggie dishes to family gatherings, choose restaurants for dining out based on their selection of veggie-friendly menu choices, etc. It gets easier and easier the longer you do it. :)

Now, for my food for today:

Breakfast - a bowl of Cheerios with light soy milk, and half of a fresh mango
Snack - plain yogurt with granola
Lunch - leftover minestrone (again) and cheddar garlic bread (oh yeah, it's as good as it sounds!)
Snack - plum and granola bar
Dinner - not sure yet :)

ETA

Vanessa - my favorite vegan cookbook, which does not rely heavily on meat substitutes, is Vegan Planet. Lots of awesome recipes! :)

Good morning,

I would love to join the 30 day challenge:) I have read through yesterdays post and have to say you guys made me hungry just reading through all those yummy recipes:9 :*

Belinda

Shelley - Thanks for the website! I will have to bookmark it. I could see my DH doing that - making my favorite meals in a way to try to temp me. I will be strong though! ;)

Vanessa - Congrats on the impending wedding! :) I do not want to rely to heavily on meat substitutes either. I'm going to go look for some cookbooks later. If I find a good one, I'll let you know.

Belinda - Glad to have you! :)

Emily - Thanks for the encouragement! He'll get it eventually. He's just a little thick sometimes. ;)

Emily - Thanks for the cookbook idea. I'll see if my library has it. If not, I'll check it out at the bookstore.

Liann - Thanks for the congrats. I'm very excited, but very tired of planning it. I really wanted to elope, but I'm the only daughter...

Shelley - I checked out that website. It looks great. I'll have to try some of the recipes.

Vanessa

Well, I just got back from Waldenbooks and guess what? Not ONE vegetarian cookbook. Ugh... I'm going to order some online from Amazon. They are probably cheaper there anyways. I'll just rely on the website recipes I have found in the meantime. I really wanted to read that "Becoming Vegetarian" book. Hopefully the shipping will be quick. :)

Hi,

Well, I'm a tad late but...

Breakfast was veggies with black beans-I haven't been eating typical breakfast food in a while but I am looking to expand my selections so I'll be checking out what everyone's eatin' :)

Lunch was salad and fruit brought in by a drug rep to our office. Yummy and I didn't lift a finger!

Dinner will be similar to breakfast.

Shelley, I'm going to check that site out. Thanks!

See ya tomorrow- I hope!

Diana

Hi ladies,

Do you guys eat eggs and fish??

Breakfast- Special K, soy milk, banana

Lunch- hummus, 12 sl. cheese pizza ( I have to go grocery shopping!I was hungry!)

Snack- soy crisps

Dinner- veg.stir fry (broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, onions.) b. rice

Shelley thanks for the web site!

Belinda

Hi Belinda! Most of us aren't eating fish, but I know some vegetarians who do and have no problem with it. I have a feeling that at some point I will not be able to say no to some good old shrimp cocktail. :) Most of us do eat cheese, milk, eggs, etc. Vegans eliminate any animal product from their diet - basically all dairy, but I'm not ready for that yet!

My dinner tonight was a yummy salad and some tomato soup with a piece of whole wheat bread. For a snack before working out, I ate a Nature's Promise organic cookie (the best box cookies in the world) and a cup of Nature's Promise soy milk. I plan on treating myself to a spoonful of all natural Peanut Butter once I make it through Muscle Max too! :)

Hi

I ran out of time to post y'day but it was a good day until I found the cookie dough batter that DD abandoned due to the fact that we had no eggs. Since it was sugar and smart balance spread beaten with vanilla I tasted it. big mistake. This morning I dumped the rest of it down the garbage disposal.

Dinner was whole wheat pasta with home made marinara and a large curly red and green leaf salad.

After reading Kathryn's suggestions, I ordered the Vegan Complete meal replacement powder and the cook book Nona's Italian Kitchen - Vegan . Italian food has always fascinated me- my parents are Italian decent and we ate Italian/American growing up.

[font color=red][font size=+2]Judy "Likes2bfit"[/font]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.