2 be or not 2 be sensitive?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 02:56PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 02:55 PM (Est)[/font]

My daughter is 17 today. (Happy Birthday Logan). She is 5'8" and weighs 125 pounds, goes to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, but we went through some weight issues from 14-15, so I do want to give you my opinion. I am 5'7 and 140 muscular pounds, from Cathe and such. I have never been fat, but not model thin either. Here goes. Keep no junk food in the house. Cook only healthy things. Provide information, but do not nag. Answer questions honestly. This includes "Do you think I'm fat." I answered with things like "Well, you're not fat, but you are putting on some fat and it will just get worse if you don't learn to eat right and exercise." Then I would shut up.
And I work out 6 days a week and eat healthy, year after year. She sees my body, and the bodies of her friends Moms and did the math in her own head. She heard a chubby friend get horrific amounts of cruel "feedback" from guys and girls alike. I think she thought she'd just bite the bullet. She is an extravert and loves people, so she needed to join a gym, she uses the treadmill, ellipticals and goes to spin classes, and uses the weights. I am very relieved and proud. I think the keys are not to have junk food, don't nag, but don't lie either. Provide information, calmly and "informatively" whenever you get a chance, without getting pushy. And school sports were also good for Logan because she was with her friends. Cross-country and track let her run without feeling like it was work, says she. I have to be alone, so I work out at home and run alone in parks, so let them be different for sure, but I very much disagree with telling daughters they are beautiful if they are fat, you lose all credibility.
I almost forgot, one of the first things Logan did was just totally give up sodas. She found out how many empty calories were in one, and switched to water, she dropped 3 or 4 pounds within a week or two and now smugly says she never drinks them and has gotten a couple of her friends to quit. It's an easy thing, and saves so much of their limited money also.
She has also learned to buy a rich dessert as a treat, and bring half of it home for another day, bring home half the sandwich or dinner also. Portion control, and a delicious snack or meal waiting for you in the refrig the next day instead of eating Mom's healthy stuff!

Wow!

Great thread! I don't have any more to add to this Donna, other then agreeing with everyone how lucky Sara is to have you for a Mom! It was neat reading all the great advice too that everyone offered. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Yet again another eye-opener I hadn't considered! You are right! Sara watched me from birth have the worst eating patterns, even raising her on them (we use to eat chili dogs together :(), and now I expect her to just up and change because I learned better. And I know it doesn't work like that! I can't erase years and years of cheeseburgers, chili dogs and fries, pizza, etc., and expect to replace them with fruits and vegetables overnite! At least not in her world if it isn't what she desires.
Talk about your tunnel vision (dduuhhhh!)
Thank you for that insight,
Donna

Mogambo...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-02 AT 07:15PM (Est)[/font][p]You said in your message that, "I very much disagree with telling daughters they are beautiful if they are fat,
you lose all credibility."

Are you saying that if someone is fat they can't be beautiful? I don't have any daughters, just sons with no weight problems, but if I had an overweight daughter I am sure that I would think she was beautiful. And I would treat the weight as a health issue and hope that she realized that real beauty comes from within. I have a very dear aunt who is morbidly obese, but she is beautiful to me and all who know her because she is such a special, giving person.
Erica

RE: Wow!

I think it's important to add all changes gradually. They are less painful that way. I let my kids have some junk, just enough to satisfy those occasional urges. I am absolutely anti-partial hydrogenation but I do occasionally buy them things which contain those bad fats because I don't want them going nuts over forbidden foods. You just have to push moderation! Balance is the key to making it all work. I bought hash browns which have that nasty partially hydrogenated fat for my 12 year old after she (weepingly) complained that I only have health food in the house when I was trying to get her to have breakfast and was prepared to fix it for her. I told her she could have them but not daily and I showed her what the congealed fat looked like on the cookie sheet. And I have told them that hydrogenated fats lower good cholesterol, raise bad cholesterol, damage the artery walls and make blood fats stickier so arteries clog more easily. Ultimately they have to choose and it's ok to choose badly now and again if their diets are healthy overall. I keep the proteins lean, the grains as whole as possible and pile on the veggies. Their diets could be better and they think they are immortal but they have to choose. It's a compromise we can all live with. I sure hope it all sinks in! I know that for myself I can actually overdo the healthy diet thing so I know it's not good to be too strict with them but not to let them eat anything they want any time. My 12-year-old told me her friends call her The Nun because she passes along health tidbits she hears from me. That made me happy! They don't just see my lips moving and hear "blah, blah, blah"! At least not ALL the time!

Donna,
Weight issues aside, there are a great many other issues like cholesterol and diabetes to consider for your daughter. Perhaps you could take her for a physical, and privately mention to the doctor your concerns before hand. If her cholesterol and blood levels are fine, so be it. But if not, the doctor may be able to approach the issue as a health issue, not focusing on a weight issue, and give her some options. It is so difficult to loose weight, as we all know. I think being a parent is very difficult; sometimes guiding a child is not easy and doesn't make you popular. But it CAN be done in a caring, not-nagging way. Saying nothing when you see a train wreck coming in my view is not the best for you OR her. She is moving out soon. Don't be afraid to sit her down and tell her what happened to you. Remind her you love her, and you are her mother, and you just need to be sure that she understands the importance of eating healthy for many reasons, not just weight. That is, after all, your job as mom. After that, don't nag. You did what you could.
I absolutely agree that you shouldn't keep the unhealthy foods in the house. You already lead by example. Make her an active part of the menu planning for family meals...she may reveal some things you didn't know. Start planning active family activities..play twister, go for a walk, go for a bike ride, camp, hike, play volleyball.
No matter what you do, you run the risk of hearing later "I wish my Mom did X." The key is, talk a little, listen a LOT. If she thinks you really want to hear what she is saying, she will talk. If it sounds like a lecture, forget it. Don't preach, don't do the broken record. But DO encourage a dialogue. You may find out she is having issues that you can really help her with.
Just my humble input.

RE: Mogambo...

Sorry. I didn't mean that you couldn't think your daughter, or anyone else, is beautiful if they are fat. I have beloved fat people in my life also. I mean don't just say they are beautiful no matter what, especially if they are really asking if you think they are too fat, if you do, then what is your opinion worth? They'll think "My Mom says I'm beautiful no matter what I look like, why ask her?" It reminds me of my childhood when my mother would admire my artwork no matter what kind of scribble-crap I brought home. I could tell she would say that if I spit on the paper and showed it to her. I'm sure she meant to be supportive, but I just knew she was humoring me and lying so I had to ask other people for an honest opinion. My daughter knows I love her and think she is beautiful, but if she asks about fat, or her clothes, or hairstyle, I give her as honest an answer as I would anyone else I respected who asked for my opinion. Otherwise, I feel it would show I thought she was so fragile and delicate and immature, that I had to lie to her to protect her feelings. She cares enough to ask me my opinion, so I tell her what I really think.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.