1RM Testing: Am I Doing This Right?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
hi cathletes!
i've started my 1RM testing and have a few questions for you more seasonsed STSers out there...

1) i was planning to do all my 1RM testing up front...is there any benefit or reason to do it prior to each mesocycle? (for ex, do all the 1RM testing for mesocycle 1, complete mesocycle 1, then do all the 1RM testing for mesocycle 2, complete mesocycle 2, etc)

2) most of my 1RM results have decimals in them...like 24.6 lbs, etc. i'm assuming i round up/down to the next whole number...so if, for ex, 70% of 24.6 lbs is 17.22 lbs, i should do that particular exercise with 17 lbs, right? so adjustable dumbbells are really the way to go, i presume? i've got a couple of 1 lb plates for my dumbbells but looks like i might need to order a couple more...

3) what's the best way to complete the 1RM testing? right now, i'm just going down the list in the back of the user's guide. would it be better to do all the biceps together, all the shoulders together, etc? i could see how that could perhaps skew results for the exercises at the end of the grouping b/c your muscles are more fatigued at that point...

4) for exercises where you work one side at a time (ie triceps kickbacks), i've just been testing one side. is there any reason/benefit to testing both sides?

looking forward to your responses!!
thanks!
SC

One Rep max

Hi Sc,

In my opinion it is better to have both equipments and one rep max prepared before embarking. I have not done a complete STS yet but I have completed STS total body and I felt I needed the one rep max to optimise the weight selection. At the time I was already structuring my workouts having various workout card with the weight selection mentioned already. So taking the one rep was easy.

As to one side one rep, example kickback, I did one side right hand even knowing my left one is weaker. I still used the same. You can add extra rep while doing the weaker side to build up strength and match the strongest side.

Yes the quicker way of taking one rep max is to do it per muscle group. I did mine from the workout manager, not from the user guide. I did glance on it few time though!;)

All the best and hope this helps,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Definitely do all your one rep tests before starting STS all together. That makes your program all set up for you to do STS 1,2, and 3.
I did mine over a couple of days. I tried to mix up the muscle groups so I wouldn't fatigue one too much. Just round up the numbers if you think that's a good weight for you. Also, I did the 1RM the way they call for it, single arm, double arm, etc.

I have wrap-around (my thumb) 1 lb. weights to increase by 1 lb. where needed, and I bought the weighted gloves from Cathe (2 lbs.) I find it is too hard and time-consuming to change the little weights inside her glovecs, so when I start to do Meso 2 and 3, I change the 1 lb. weights vs. the 2 lb. gloves to go thru exercises quicker.

Good luck! Meso 1 is challenging since Cathe loves push-ups!! I have done the program many, many times. I have yet to go back and do my 1RM again, which I should, but I keep penciling in my changes as I go.:rolleyes:

Cosmo Mom said:
Definitely do all your one rep tests before starting STS all together. That makes your program all set up for you to do STS 1,2, and 3.
I did mine over a couple of days. I tried to mix up the muscle groups so I wouldn't fatigue one too much. Just round up the numbers if you think that's a good weight for you. Also, I did the 1RM the way they call for it, single arm, double arm, etc.

I have wrap-around (my thumb) 1 lb. weights to increase by 1 lb. where needed, and I bought the weighted gloves from Cathe (2 lbs.) I find it is too hard and time-consuming to change the little weights inside her glovecs, so when I start to do Meso 2 and 3, I change the 1 lb. weights vs. the 2 lb. gloves to go thru exercises quicker.

Good luck! Meso 1 is challenging since Cathe loves push-ups!! I have done the program many, many times. I have yet to go back and do my 1RM again, which I should, but I keep penciling in my changes as I go.:rolleyes:

Thx Cosmo Mom!! Good tips!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.