1RM test for Alternating moves

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
When determining 1RM for each exercise I understand measuring the 1RM for exercises such as Barbell Curls or the the Seated Overhead Press is pretty basic (10 reps equals 10 reps, 12 reps is 12 reps). However, in exercises such as the Alternating Seated Overhead Shoulder Press or Side Leaning Lateral Raises is the max rep range per arm or total (i.e. 10 reps with the right arm AND 10 reps with the left?) Or is it 10 reps total (5 with the right/5 with the left)? Also, is the Alternating Seated Overhead Shoulder Press (where the movement is alternated) determined differently than the Side Leaning Lateral Raise (which is NOT alternated and where you exhaust one side before switching to the other)?

It's late and I'm really tired so I hope this makes sense. I was going to finally start doing my 1RM tests but immediately thought I'd better be certain I was doing it right from the get-go.

Thanks.

Stacey,

I think that two alternating moves count as 1 rep, meaning 5 left + 5 right = 5 reps.
Also, (posted in another thread) the rep count of 1.5, where a full rep is followed by a partial rep counts as one rep: 1 full rep + 1 partial rep = 1 rep.

Regarding exercises which have you work one arm first (such as leaning lateral raises on stability ball), what I did was this: I did the 1RM test for my strong side and I will have my weak side follow this weight load. So, you count the reps you did with one side and insert that, along with your weight load, in the WM. E.g. you did 9 reps with your right arm and Xlbs. Even though you might be able to do only 7 or 8 reps with your left arm with the same Xlbs, you should put the 9 reps and Xlbs in the WM, so your left (weaker side) can eventually catch up with your right (stronger) side.
Hope this makes sense... :)

Chris.

Stacey,

I think that two alternating moves count as 1 rep, meaning 5 left + 5 right = 5 reps.
Also, (posted in another thread) the rep count of 1.5, where a full rep is followed by a partial rep counts as one rep: 1 full rep + 1 partial rep = 1 rep.

Regarding exercises which have you work one arm first (such as leaning lateral raises on stability ball), what I did was this: I did the 1RM test for my strong side and I will have my weak side follow this weight load. So, you count the reps you did with one side and insert that, along with your weight load, in the WM. E.g. you did 9 reps with your right arm and Xlbs. Even though you might be able to do only 7 or 8 reps with your left arm with the same Xlbs, you should put the 9 reps and Xlbs in the WM, so your left (weaker side) can eventually catch up with your right (stronger) side.
Hope this makes sense... :)

Chris.

That made perfect sense. Now I know what to do. Thank you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.