12 calorie 5 fiber Scandinavian Bran Crispbread

Kitterfly

Cathlete
I was watching the Dr. Oz show and he rec. a scandinavian bran crispbread product. Its like a cracker, 12 calories per slice and has 5 grams of fiber per slice!! I got mine today, it tastes like dry crunchy cardboard. I tried putting some in yogurt, kinda like using granola, but doesnt add any taste just crunch. I thought these crackers would be a good option to help with getting the rec. amount of fiber daily or getting some fiber in on the lower veggie days etc. Any one else tried/used them? :p

Hi, a store in my area didnt sell them yet so I got them online, from one of there rec. websites. Next time I'm in my local "whole foods store" I'll see if they will start stocking them?

Are these like Rye Crisps?
I've got some at home right now.
I spread mashed avocado on them, or just eat them as-is.

I stick with Ryvita, about 70 calories per slice but I am not counting. Great with cheese (Jarlsberg, Laughing Cow, Boursin, Goats cheese, etc) or marmite and cucumber! Available at Wholefoods.

Clare

I often use the Wasa brand crispbreads (there are several different kinds). I like to place a slice or two of tomato on them, with maybe some kind of seasoning, and maybe a sprinkle of olives. Sometimes I'll put some avacado on there first...pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes....YUM.

I also top them with tuna or chicken salad, or even with scrambled eggs. Hummus is a good addition also.

I think I'll pass

I was watching the Dr. Oz show and he rec. a scandinavian bran crispbread product. Its like a cracker, 12 calories per slice and has 5 grams of fiber per slice!! I got mine today, it tastes like dry crunchy cardboard. I tried putting some in yogurt, kinda like using granola, but doesnt add any taste just crunch. I thought these crackers would be a good option to help with getting the rec. amount of fiber daily or getting some fiber in on the lower veggie days etc. Any one else tried/used them? :p

Going by your description - "tastes like dry crunchy cardboard" - I think I'll pass! Sounds about as appealing as rice cakes - yuk!

Funny - I stopped buying rice cakes because I was eating them non-stop. I love them for some strange reason.

that is a cool find!

another cathlete told me about flat out! whole wheat wraps. 6g fiber. i think 120cal. its much larger than a typical tortilla.
can make into pizza, or any kind of wrap you like. toast to make crackers or 'chips'. its not really flavorful, but as long as the filling/dip is flavorful, works for me.

i also just found reduced sugar jam. they use fruit juice instead of sugar. 30cals instead of 50/Table spoon, and fiber. forgot how many grams.

also, i made baked garlic chicken tonight. i always just put in chopped garlic, olive oil, and chicken. (use tin foil) this time, i didnt put oil in. when it was done i tasted it. was just as good. :) make sure the garlic is touching the chicken as it cooks.

veggie burgers anyone?
morningstar farms california turkey veggie burger is 90 cal. 5g fat. (most of that is the healthy kind. it has avocado peices in it) i think it was 5g fiber. throw some spinach on there, and thats one low cal sandwhich.

ok my brain's running out of steam. does anyone have some more clever food finds?

I think I just saw the crackers the OP was refering to in my health food store. They are expensive (compared to Rye Crisps and Wasa--the latter of which is what I have at home), pretty thin (hence the low calorie count!) and do look rather more 'cardboardy' than the other two. I'll pass (I get PLENTY of fiber from my regular diet).

another cathlete told me about flat out! whole wheat wraps. 6g fiber. i think 120cal. its much larger than a typical tortilla.
can make into pizza, or any kind of wrap you like. toast to make crackers or 'chips'. its not really flavorful, but as long as the filling/dip is flavorful, works for me. ..
ok my brain's running out of steam. does anyone have some more clever food finds?
Tree of Life makes a great sprouted-grain tortilla (also large size, and pretty tasty).

Dr. Praeger's brand is my favorite for veggie burgers. I have found them at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. The southwest burger is delicious.

I like apple rice cakes, can't remember trying any others. My kids like them too. A little too much...quit eat'n momma's diet food lol. However, like so many other foods, they aren't satisfying past 5 mins. I get that amnesia...did i eat? i'm still hungry. Then, after i ate another snack i remember, oooh yea. I already ate. They are about as effective as poptarts for me.

I love rice cakes! :eek:

I spread a thin amount of dark chocolate almond butter on top of one and I am in heaven.

They actually fill me up for a little while. I find they come in handy when I am hungry and lunch or dinner is still an hour away.

As far as wraps, I like the LaTortilla Factory Smart & Delicious High Fiber wraps in large and small. They actually bake pretty nicely into chips for dipping in salsa.

For burgers, I prefer Amy's veggie burger and Morningstar Farms Chik'n Burger. Haven't tried the MF turkey burger but if it has avocado in it I may have to give them a whirl!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.