1 rep max

Sissy1983

Cathlete
I am going to start sts and wanted to know how people figured out there 1 rep max. With all the exercises how long/many do you do in a workout. I just didn't know which exercises you put together. There is no way you can do all of them in a few workouts. I am pretty clueless about the system so I am trying to educate myself before I start so I can have the max results.

This is the way I decided to do it, it's a short-cut..so it depends on where you're coming from if this would work for you. I am coming from a point of just now getting back into an exercise groove...knowing that I don't need every weight to be 100% perfect the first time I do the exercise. The exercises start to repeat so it falls into place pretty quickly..

I started to do the list pretty much at random at first...but then I just got anxious to get started..so I tried to cut down on some of the list by just testing one variation of the same exercise...I noticed there would be a chest press on the bench vs. a chest press on the ball..so I just tested bench only and noted that if I am to do the chest press on the stability ball, which is an unstable surface, that I may have to go lighter. Same thing for the variations of bicep curls, triceps kickbacks, etc.

You can put these in the workout manager and print out a list of your 1RM..you may have to manually calculate your 60% of these to use in the first workouts...but then as you do the workouts, you can enter more of your post-workout information into the w/o manager and the information will start to build for you to be able to reference in the printable w/o cards. It's worked well for me--you just have to be diligent with leaving notes for yourself to 'go heavier next time' on a specific exercise if a weight is too light, etc. If you go too heavy and fail out, then just put that in the w/o manager. I do all this in the 'calendar area'..you can put your w/o information from the day and also have the ability to click the calculator icon to recalculate your 1RM.

If you are a more seasoned exerciser and have w/o notes..you can enter in those weights too, as long as they were heavy enough that you were gritting your teeth by the last reps. ;)

Thanks! After I posted the question I looked at prior posts and realized that there were a lot of people with the same question.

I just want to get this right, I take the exercises and a weight that I think is heavy enough and see how many reps I can do? Than i plug all my info in the workout manager And it will figure it out?

Thanks! After I posted the question I looked at prior posts and realized that there were a lot of people with the same question.

I just want to get this right, I take the exercises and a weight that I think is heavy enough and see how many reps I can do? Than i plug all my info in the workout manager And it will figure it out?

Yep, that's pretty much all there is to it..I think someone wrote though that if you end up going beyond 15 reps...that you should pick a heavier weight and try the test again...even though I think the calculator has reps that go up to 24 or so.

A list of your 1RM's will show up in the "One Rep Max" area of the workout manager, so if you choose not to do all the variations of the similar exercises..you should print that one out for reference...it will just show your 1RM for the tests you've done and then you'll have to calculate what the exercise calls for..60%..70% of your 1RM, etc. But, when you go to the "STS" area of the workout manager and pick a disc to print a workout card for..it will have all the calculations done for you for the 1RM tests that you've completed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.