••• CHEETAHS ••• 5/18-5/24

Brighton

Cathlete
Good morning, girls!!!!!!!

Just starting things off for us this merry Monday... I'll be back in a bit for the report & personals. :)

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!!!

Hi Brighton, Jackie and Katie! :D

Hey, is Laura ever coming back!?!? :confused:

I just finished Ripped 1000. Just what the dr. ordered. I am so happy I was able to work out today after how awful y'day was! :eek: I am not 100% but I feel like a new woman by comparison! :p Now, if all goes well maybe I can get back to my CLX rotation in the next day or two!!!!

Have a great day!

Hi Cheetahs!

Brighton - Good job on the 6.5 mile run Saturday! So, how's the ITB today? I just love my Garmin! The one I have is coming down in price now. I like seeing all the different places I run. I agree with Wendy that you need your own. What workout did you choose to do today.

Wendy - Glad to see you're feeling well enough to get some workouts in. But, sorry the stuff is lingering. How was the banquet? Don't blame you for not taking the daycare job. It has to fit your schedule. I'm sure the right job will come along for you. Hope you hear from the office job soon. Good job with Ripped 1000!!

Saturday I got in 8.2 miles. That was 5 miles with running partner and 3.2 on the treadmill and some stretching. Yesterday was a rest day. Today, I did GS Legs Floor and 6 Minute Abs.

Hope you're having a wonderful day! Loving the sunshine here.

Ack!

This day has totally gotten away from me. So many errands to run and chores to do. The yard work outside today may just have to suffice for a workout... :rolleyes: Oh well. Hope to get another run in tomorrow. There's only about a month until the relay, so I'm dropping the weight training until after race time. Will probably just do running for cardio and try and get at least 4-5 solid yoga sessions in per week as well. *crossing fingers* Plus, there's still loads of chores to do outside, so I'll be keeping pretty active regardless.

Wendy: So glad to hear that you're on the mend!!! :) WTG with the workout today. I know, I've been wondering about Laura too-- I miss her! Hope all is well with our African Cheetah. Yes, I really want to get a Garmin of my own-- DH actually got one from work-- they get incentives for going so many days on the job without having a work related injury for their respective projects (he's a civil engineer over heavy highway/bridge/dam construction). So it was free for him!!! Now I just need to start sticking to my budget :eek: and maybe we can get one for me too! :D Oh, and I'm with you 100% on the job-- if it the hours were bugging you before you took the job, imagine how you'd feel actually working them??? Yeah, totally not worth it.

Jackie: Yes, I've got Garmin fever! (see above post to Wendy...) Hopefully some time this year I'll get one of my very own... :D It was really fun to try it out. The ITB is feeling great!!! Thanks for asking. :) I am so excited that it seems to finally be back to normal. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it stays that way-- at least until after the race anyway. I'm starting to get a little nervous about it. I don't do particularly well with little to no sleep!!! :eek: Hopefully having my girlfriends along for the ride will keep me hanging in there!!! ;):) Glad you're enjoying the sunshine! It's been so sunny & warm here-- almost 90 today! :eek: After the frigid winter we had it seems SO hot!

Hi to Katie and Laura and any other lurking Cheetahs! Come and say hi some time!!!

Gotta run-- having some friends over for dinner and need to get the kitchen cleaned! :eek: Have a good one, everyone!

Okay, I'm going to the doc as soon as DH gets home from work (around 4pm). I feel like crap again. I think I have a sinus infection. The left side of my face hurts and my left cheek is throbbing on and off. UGH! No work out for me today. It was all I could do to get through the morning at work....

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'll be back later or tmrw to catch up on personals!

Yup, sinus infection confirmed. I think it got worse when I left the doc's office! :rolleyes: I have antibiotics now so I should be good soon enough. In the mean time please excuse me if I whine but man does this HURT!!!!! :eek:

Yes, I am lurking!:D Sorry I have been away for a few days, just didn't feel like I had much to say...

Wendy - BOO to the sinus infection. Glad they gave you meds and you will be good as new in no time!

Jackie - What sort of ITB issues are you having? I've never had that trouble so I don't know much about it.

Jackie - 8.2 miles? You are my hero! That's a loooooot of running!

Sunday I did 6.5 miles - my longest run yet. I do a long run on the weekend, and I am trying to increase by .5 mile each week. Is that a good amount? Tomorrow I will run again, but I will do more speed work and hills with walking breaks. I did Plyo Legs today and I find that a long run the day after is NOT a good idea! I'm on my last week of STS, but I will really miss Plyo Legs!

Katie: Follow the 10% rule. Up your weekly mileage by no more then 10% at a time. You can add the full 10% to just your long run or spread it out over various runs each week just do not exceed 10% of the last week's total. HTH! :)

Brighton: Stick to a budget you say?? HAH! IMPOSSIBLE! :p Good luck savin' for your Garmin! :D

Jackie: Nice run! I don't think I could start with one and finish with the other (road/tm). I think I'd lose my motivation in the time it would take to make the switch. Ofcourse I'd have to drive to or home from the gym so maybe that has something to do with it! :p

UGH! My mouth is killing me! All of the pain from the infection seems to be in my cheek, teeth and jaw on the left side. It's hurts to open my mouth to eat! :eek: I had to take ibuprofen last night in order to sleep. It worked well but by 3am it was wearing off. By 4am the pain had me up. I broke down and took more ibuprofen at 5. I am hoping it will make the pain tolerable enough to get through my shift at work today...*fingers crossed*

As soon as this crap goes away I am jumping into the rest of my CLX rotation with both feet. No more messin' around girls! I want to finish it so that I can focus on endurance for a little while and then very possibly do CLX AGAIN! :D

Last edited:
Hi ladies!

Brighton - Training plans for your race sound good. I usually stop LB weight work during the week of a race. That Garmin is quite an incentive for your DH. Good he's staying injury free. Having the girls along on your race should be lots of fun and make the time fly by.

Wendy - So sorry that nasty old sinus infection decided to pay you a visit. Hope the antibiotics help and you feel better soon. Healing vibes coming your way. )))))))))))) If I had to drive somewhere for my run, I don't know if I'd want to add more miles when I got home either. I'm still trying to keep the miles on Saturday longer than my weekday runs. Get well so you can get CLX butt!

Katie - Always good to read about your workouts and I'm sure you have something to say. :D Yeah, 8 miles is a lot of running. I wonder how I'll feel when I hit 16 miles. :confused: Good job on the 6.5 miles. Think .5 mile is good to add each week.

Yesterday's workout was iTread #32 Fast & Flat. I got in 5 miles and some stretching. Today was Firm It Up and iClimb #6 20 minutes.

Happy Hump Day! Have a wonderful day!

Hi ladies!

UGGGGGGGGGH! I am having such a hard time this week. Total lack of motivation and just feeling so lethargic. I really just want to go to sleep right now!!! :rolleyes: I'm changing into my running clothes right now so I can go for a short 5K as soon as DH walks in the door. :) Figure at least that would be something.

On the home front, my dad went in for surgery yesterday-- everything's okay-- we just have a predisposition in our family toward colon cancer, and he needed to get this weird polyp removed that keeps growing back in the same spot every year it seems. Everything went well, and there's no cause for concern, as the doctors are totally on top of it, but I guess it's still weighing on me regardless. I told DH the other day-- I just want all the people I love to be okay just for one month. Only one month, could we just all be happy and healthy??? :rolleyes: This has been one surreal year so far. One thing after another.

Oh! There's DH-- better jet before I change my mind........ :p:) Be back later, hopefully-- or I shall catch up with personals first thing in the morning!

Sorry I'm such a flake lately, girls! :confused:

Well, that was quick, lol...

I got in about 1/2 mile and started having some GI issues... :confused::confused::confused: after about 1.5 mi, I knew there was no way I was going to get the whole 5K loop done, so I high-tailed it home the quickest way possible! :rolleyes::confused::eek: So, only 2 mi today. Made it home just in the nick of time. :eek: So, I guess now I know why I was feeling a bit lethargic & tired today! Hmmmmm. Hopefully a nice clean dinner and a good solid night's sleep will set things right again.

Wendy: So so sorry about the sinus infection. Those are NO FUN. :( I hope you get feeling better real quick-- you've been under the weather for far too long!!! {{{GET WELL SOON!}}} Hope you're back to CLX in no time. Lol about budgeting.... too true, too true... ;)

Katie: Yay for the 6.5! I remember the first time I went over 10K I felt like a total rock star. :D:D:D Way to go! ITA with Wendy on the 10% rule. That will help you steer clear of the injury wagon. The IT Band runs from your hip down past your knee and connects just below your knee. Sometimes if you overtrain or don't have super technique you can stress it out, which causes pretty nasty lateral knee pain. For me it was a little of both-- I did probably too many miles on a snowy trail run and I think it affected my technique. Anyway, I've been trying to get rid of it for a few months now. Hopefully it's gone for good this time around. :)

Jackie: Woo hoo! Way to go with all the awesome runs lately! You're gonna get to 16 no sweat! ;):D:cool: Yes, I'm really glad to have the girls hit the road with me! :D We may not be the fastest to Park City, but we'll have a blast, I'm sure.

Okay, I've gotta get something for dinner thrown together and start getting the kids ready for bed... Have a great night, everyone!!! :D

Wow, it's been quiet in the den!

Today I got over to the gym. I totally didn't feel like running today, but knew once I got over there I'd get in the mood. I'm feeling 100% better today, still just a little tired. But I did get in 3.25 miles on the treadmill-- which to look at doesn't seem like much, but 1.25 miles of that I did at a 6% incline. Believe me, I'm feeling it!!! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

I'm going to try and work my way up so I can go 3 miles at a 6% incline by the time the relay comes around. One of my legs is a 3.8 miler, and just under 3 miles of it goes up a windy (wine-dee, not win-dee) canyon road up to a ski resort. (Check it out here: http://www.ragnarrelay.com/index.ph...&raceName=wasatchback&paceID=2&leg=11#legmaps) The average gradient of the incline is just under 6%. :eek: (Then there's about a mile downhill-- which lowers the average incline of the entire leg to 2.7%... but it's that 6% incline that has me sweating!!!) Even though it's the shortest of my 3 legs, it's the one that I'm most worried about. Downhills don't seem to bug me too bad, it's those inclines that strain the ITB. So far, there's no ITB pain today. Whew! :D

Anyway, that's pretty much it for me today. Wow, I'm finally all caught up, lol! Hoping to kick back and relax a little tonight after the kids get to bed. Hope everyone is doing okay-- Wendy, how's the sinus infection? Thinking of you!

Hello Peeps.

Sorry I have been MIA. This sinus infection has been a roller coaster ride. I feel okay one minute/one hour/one day and awful the next. :( Yesterday I woke up in pain at 3am. I laid in bed trying to sleep but it hurt too much so I finally got up at 4am and went out and laid on the couch. I have no idea why I waited but finally at 5am I got up and took ibuprofen. Over TWO HOURS LATER I was still miserable so I ended up not going into work. I lazied around and took a nap somewhere between 9 and 10am. By 1030 I was cleaning the house because I felt so much better! I didn't take ibuprofen the rest of the day or night and was OKAY! This morning I woke up OKAY so again, no ibuprofen. Well, I went into work and within a half an hour I was MISERABLE! Not only was my face starting to bother me but I just knew I was running a fever. UGH! I came home and took my temp and sure enough, it was low but enough to make me feel like crap! I ate a little something and went to bed. 30 minutes later I woke up feeling like a new person! Just WIERD! :rolleyes:

I looked at my work out log today. I started with a cold during my son's B'day party weekend about 13-14 days ago. Since then I have taken 7-8 rest days due to feeling to crappy to work out!?!? :mad: Today is my 3rd day in a row of no work outs!!! This is soooo not like me. I'm actually starting to get minimally worried that there might be more to it :( but I'm not going to jump the gun just yet as I have only been on antibiotics 48 hours at this point. I'll give it through the weekend and see how I feel....

Sorry for the rambling...I'll shut up now! :p

Brighton: I am sure you will kick Cheetah butt at your relay! How many legs are doing in total and what's the total mileage on them? I don't blame you for being a bit nervous about the hill but I'm sure you'll be okay! :)

Jackie: Good job on your work outs as of late. I still need to get in a longer run (5 miler) but at this point I think it'll be the end of summer before that happens! LOL Any fun plans for the holiday weekend coming up? My mom is going to Atlantic City. I'm jealous! :D

Have a great night!

Wendy, I am sorry that you have been feeling so bad!! Can you see a Dr. again tomorrow? I would hate for you to go into a holiday weekend with an illness that isn't responding to meds and not be able to get any relief until middle of next week.

Brighton, 3 miles on a 6% incline is CRAZY! I have never really run hills but yesterday I did a hill/speed interval run/walk and ran for TWO MINUTES and thought I was going to die!
Wh
A couple of questions, if you don't mind....

What do you eat after a long run? I am so starved ALL.DAY.LONG. after a long run and can't seem to eat enough.
How long does a run have to be to be considered a "long run"?
What kind (if any) of leg work do you do in addition to running, and do you do it before/on/after a day when you run?

Thanks in advance! I'm off to bed, running in the morning, i'll report back tomorrow!

Good Morning Katie, Jackie and Brighton! :)

Katie:

Question #1:
I am not running much at all these days but when I was running a lot/training for my longer distance races I didn't have anything in particular that I would eat post long-run. I never found anything that helped to satisfy my hunger more then anything else. In addition, lifting has always made me hungrier then cardio so I can't even tell you that I know what you mean cuz well...I don't! LOL When I started upping my mileage to train for the marathon I decided not to do this year, I had already gained some weight from bad eating choices. Well, upping my mileage seemed to pack on the pounds even MORE! :eek: This was part of the reason I opted out of the marathon. Crossing the finish line 10+ pounds heavier then I was less a year before was NOT going to make me happy! Anyway...my point is that I think I may have been gaining weight because I wasn't eating ENOUGH to support the increased cardio activity. I wasn't hungry though!!!!
Question #2: A long run is relative to the rest of your runs. Your longest run of the week is your long run...wether that's 1 mile or 20 miles. :) You might want to check out an HM training schedule online to see how they have you up the mileage and what the difference is between the long run mileage and the rest of the training runs. :)
Question #3: Some folks really cut back on leg work while training for a race. I never did. All I ever concerned myself with was not doing a leg work out too close to my long runs. In fact, I love to follow up a good leg work out with a run (either the same day or the next day)! As for what kind of leg work to do? It's said endurance leg work will be more beneficial to you then strength if you are trying to improve your running endurance.

Okay, the answers were a bit long-winded but I hope I helped some! :D

As for my health issue...I am going to wait out the holiday weekend and will go back to the doc next week if I am not better. I have no big plans for the weekend so I'm not worried about anything getting ruined. I feel better overall but then all of the sudden I seem to suffer a nasty set back. They are short-lived but ugly just the same!:confused:

Last edited:
Ended up taking Centergy class this morning. :D Now I'm deciding wether or not to move on to a light weight work out...

BBL!

Just finished Power Sculpt. I did the w/u, the first 2 work outs and the c/d. It was tougher then it should have been but still felt good. My body is definitely still recouping from being sick for 2 weeks. Nothing more for me today. I hope to get in a short cardio tmrw before heading up to my inlaws for my SIL's b'day dinner. :)

Time to hit the showers.

BBL or tmrw!

Good Morning Loverlies!

Today will be a cardio of choice. I just haven't made the choice yet! :p

Heading my inlaws this afternoon for dinner.

The remainder of the day will be filled with chores. Not exciting stuff! LOL

Hope everyone is well!

BBL!

My work out is done.

Here's what I did:

5 min EXT warm up
50 squats
3.5 mins tm run at moderate pace
50 plie squats
3.5 mins tm run
50 alt forward lunges
3.5 mins tm run
25 rear lunges per leg
3.5 mins tm run
1 min walking
3 mins walk up 10% grade
1 min walking
2.5 mins tm run
5 min cool down

All in all it took me 40-45 minutes to do and I was sweatin' like a beast! I used a set of 10 pound db's for every leg exercise I did and I felt it!!!

Time for a nap!:p

Hey everyone--
not much time, it's been a roller coaster weekend... Y'day was DS's birthday, and today we had the funeral for DH's aunt, who finally passed from her excruciatingly long battle with breast cancer. (I sincerely hope that is the last funeral I have to attend for a l-o-n-g time.)

I did make it out this morning for a 5.3 miler around town. Feeling pretty good, though I could feel a twinge in my knee-- probably from that incline run the other day. Hopefully it's a temporary thing. I kept the pace down and focused on technique.

I really want to get caught up on personals but it will have to wait until tomorrow. We have our family party for DS's bday on Monday, and I need to get myself over to the store to have everything ready to go so I can stop stressing about it. :)

Hope all is well!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.