Question about 1 Rep Max as STS weeks progress...

RobertaJJ

I'm about to start STS (finally), and will be taking the 1 Rep Max test for ONLY the exercises in Meso Cycle 1.

Question 1: I'm assuming that I will get stronger as the weeks progress. If I'm entering my reps into the workout manager each week, does it automatically recalculate my 1 rep max the next time that exercise appears in the program? (Or am I anticipating a non-issue :) )

Question 2: Is it ok to do the 1 rep Max tests for Meso 2 during the 'rest/transition week' in between Meso's 1 & 2?

Question 1: I'm assuming that I will get stronger as the weeks progress. If I'm entering my reps into the workout manager each week, does it automatically recalculate my 1 rep max the next time that exercise appears in the program? (Or am I anticipating a non-issue :) )

One rep max is done for all 40 discs before starting. Few exercises, mainly conventional compound, are repeated.
You won't need to re-do these more than once cause the system populate accross other discs. Each exercise has
a specific code.:). Once you have completed taking your one rep max you can print off all meso should you need to.
the system workout the percentage required on each meso for you. You do not need to manually do it.

Question 2: Is it ok to do the 1 rep Max tests for Meso 2 during the 'rest/transition week' in between Meso's 1 & 2?

It is fine! I would actually recommend to print off meso 1 just before starting, then re-do the max doing the rest transition.
Most of us relied on notes to adjust weight in between cycles. Do what is convenient to you.:)

All the best:)

Last edited:
Thank you for responding! I'm going to "pass" on doing the 1-rep max test for all 36 discs in advance. Just the thought of it throws me into procrastination mode...

Plus, wouldn't I be stronger after Meso 1? So wouldn't my 1 rep max be different for Meso 2 AFTER I complete Meso 1 vs if I had tested prior to Meso 1?

I recognize that many of the exercises are different, but I would still anticipate some strength gains would (should) impact my strength going into Meso 2, yes?

Welcome Robertson. In theory it will automatically adj for u, but I found that in meso 1 I actually had to reduce some weight due to doing very long sets, and I did have to raise my 1RM a lot on Some excercises as I got to meso 2 and 3. My 1RM on bench press went up about 90# when I tested during meso 2 as opposed to before testing. The shorter sets of 2 and 3 are designed for strength and meso 1 for endurance, which is much needed as these are long workouts involving lots of sets, but you will be AMAZED at you gains!! Congrats on doing sts!!

Thank you for responding! I'm going to "pass" on doing the 1-rep max test for all 36 discs in advance. Just the thought of it throws me into procrastination mode...

Plus, wouldn't I be stronger after Meso 1? So wouldn't my 1 rep max be different for Meso 2 AFTER I complete Meso 1 vs if I had tested prior to Meso 1?

I recognize that many of the exercises are different, but I would still anticipate some strength gains would (should) impact my strength going into Meso 2, yes?

:)o_O The answer to highlighted above is yes:)

I totally agree with Tslop49 post above.

One rep max sound a long time consuming process but it is worth investing in. This will help in moving from one
set to another within a very limited time quickly. 30 seconds (during meso1) that is all we have to move from one set to another.
You can do it!:)

I too have a rep max to do for my next round starting very soon.

HTH

Last edited:
Hi RobertaJJ,
In my experience (and others may disagree), there are several Meso 1 moves for which my 1 RM wasn't really helpful. Like the funky functional shoulder moves, lying rear delt stuff, etc. I tried to test those, but ultimately just grabbed whichever DBs worked (often lighter than expected). Also, some of those shoulder-circle-type moves (wrong phrase but I hope it gives the idea), you don't want to grab a heavy weight for fear of tweaking something. They're great movements to do, just tough to test.
You may find it impossible to hit failure on some lower body moves. Just grab a challenging weight. I think the upper body movements in Mesos 2 & 3 are best served by the 1RM testing. JMO.
Enjoy!!
Roz

Here is a little trick that can help you. After you have taken a 1RM test and you've dived into the STS program it's very common to find that the 1RM test results need tweaking. Foe Example, if you find that the 1RM test says you should lift 20lb dumbbells for bicep curls, but during the routine you found 20 lbs to be way to light and think you could handle 25 lb weights here is all you need to do. Just click on the Calendar icon and click on or select the STS workout that you just did and then click on the "edit workout" button. Then go to the exercise you want to correct and in the "1RM" column click on the calculator icon. It will ask you if you want to recalculate your 1RM. Say yes and then enter the weight you feel is the weight you would like to use next time (25 lbs). The 1RM calculator will reverse engineer your 1RM and all future workouts will now be based on this new 1RM calculation. This is real easy to do and makes adjusting your 1RM a breeze.

Thank you for responding! I'm going to "pass" on doing the 1-rep max test for all 36 discs in advance.

You do not need to do all 36 discs. Doing meso 1 is fine. I apologize if I confused you:):)
Getting one rep done is important. It is not efficient to attempt without knowing in advance the weight selection.

In my personal opinion, some may disagree, testing exercises you are not used to is worth doing.
I approach my program aiming to get equipment, note book sheet and water prepared in advanced.
Programs run for an hour and I do not have more time cause I workout before going to work.
Time management is important to me. i also ensure resting time is kept to the purpose of the program
and/or to what I am aiming for. No pausing :):)once I popped the disc in the player!:) JMO

In my personal experience, again some may disagreeo_Oo_O, tracking weight seletion for various programs and
doing one rep max has helped to quickly select weight for program released after STS.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.