End of STS...What Next? Body Beast?

I just did the workouts in order. On Week 1 I just did the first week of both Mesocycles 1 and 2 based on the order of the dics and weeks 2, 3 and 4 were the same. For leg day I just did a random leg workout of my choice. My legs tend to build muscle fairly easily so I don't have to put in as much planning for my leg routine. Usually I just did a leg workout from Cathe live. I have to admit that doing both Mesos in the same week could be pretty tough at times and a few times I had to lower the weight slightly from what I'm used too, but it was definitely worth it at the end. My upper body looks fantastic and my muscles are solid and full. I think it was the combination of hitting my muscles from so many angles from both Mesocyles and using a combination of drop sets, super sets, and band work to really bring out the detail. My body also seems to respond better when I work my muscles twice a week instead of once. I can't rave enough about STS and I highly recommend doubling up the Mesocycles if you are wanting to do STS again with a different twist.

I think it was the combination of hitting my muscles from so many angles from both Mesocyles and using a combination of drop sets, super sets, and band work to really bring out the detail. My body also seems to respond better when I work my muscles twice a week instead of once. I can't rave enough about STS and I highly recommend doubling up the Mesocycles if you are wanting to do STS again with a different twist.

Hello coaccountant,

What a way of confusing muscles;););)...it's a great undulation. I am also one of those who need the twice frequency.
I have repeated each disk within a week in the past STS round and it worked in terms of getting what I wanted.
Now you are giving me stuff to think about in a good and amicable way;). No ego and I mean it.
This is really appealing to me. It is a great twist. Honestly I can not see myself repeating what I did last time:):):)
All I can say is phew just thinking about it Lol.

On a joke side, I know you wanted the challenge but didn't you say to yourself at some point what was I thinking
mapping out such rotation:eek::eek:

Last edited:
On Week 1 I just did the first week of both Mesocycles 1 and 2 based on the order of the dics and weeks 2, 3 and 4 were the same. For leg day I just did a random leg workout of my choice.

Question to Coaccountant23, did you gradually 5-10% overload your rep max all through your rotation?

My vote would be for the XTrain Undulating Rotation. I loved that rotation. Lots of lean muscle. Good luck on your journey.
I did the 90 day undulating rotation (I think that's what it's called) - one of the official ones. I did it as written, occasionally doing some of the 100-rep challenges, and also doing yoga. I absolutely loved all the little accessory muscles which appeared. It seemed not to give me quite such big biceps, quads, etc as STS or BB, but rather it emphasised things like rear delts, calves, shoulders etc. If anything I got too lean doing it - which I realise I could have avoided by increasing the amount I ate (although I'm a complete glutton, so it would have been tricky to consume much more!!)
It was my introduction to Cathe - it was love at first lift!

Okay, ladies, I believe I decided to go with the XTrain 90 Day Undulating rotation. I have 2 questions though... First, I have done Hard Strikes and don't find it particularly enjoyable or very challenging. Did you follow the rotation to the letter or did you sometimes sub in other cardio for Hard Strikes? And did you every ADD IN more cardio to the end of a shorter workout in the rotation such as Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's?

Is that because you don't enjoy kickboxing in general - or just that specific one? An obvious switch would be another kickbox, if you have one you prefer, or I reckon step would be good - Hardstrikes works my calves, and so does step. I agree it's not a challenging workout, but then, sometimes that's OK. Obviously on days where the rotation includes the conditioning work at the end of Hardstrikes, you could add that on to whatever you choose to substitute.

I didn't do any extra cardio per se....however, I did do yoga, and I like quite intense yoga (lots of flows), so that added an extra cardio element. I'm also pretty active (walk, swim, tennis etc) so I guess I get a lot of informal cardio during my day! I don't think it's necessary, and that the rotation is excellent as written.

I'm hoping you'll keep us posted.....

Is that because you don't enjoy kickboxing in general - or just that specific one? An obvious switch would be another kickbox, if you have one you prefer, or I reckon step would be good - Hardstrikes works my calves, and so does step. I agree it's not a challenging workout, but then, sometimes that's OK. Obviously on days where the rotation includes the conditioning work at the end of Hardstrikes, you could add that on to whatever you choose to substitute.

I didn't do any extra cardio per se....however, I did do yoga, and I like quite intense yoga (lots of flows), so that added an extra cardio element. I'm also pretty active (walk, swim, tennis etc) so I guess I get a lot of informal cardio during my day! I don't think it's necessary, and that the rotation is excellent as written.

I'm hoping you'll keep us posted.....

I love Kickbox and have a good collection from which I could choose. Maybe I'll do Hardstrikes followed by one of KCM's 30 Minutes to Fitness Kickboxing workouts if I feel energetic that day. I like Hardstrikes but to me it feels too easy ANY too short. Maybe adding on an additional lighter workout will make me feel like I got a more thorough workout. I adore yoga but I often have to forgo class because my little wiener dog demands his nightly walk. :) I do try to go as often as I can though. You are so right about it being a workout if you're in a solid flow class! My teacher kicks my butt with loving kindness.... ;)

Okay, so I started XTrain today and the first workout was Chest, Back & Shoulders. While it is clearly a great workout, it is SO different from STS that it threw me for a loop. I was all over the place with my weights meaning I had no clue what to use and basing it off of my 1RM from STS simply did not give me the right weight for the majority of the exercise. Granted, I am not feeling my best today so I am sure that affected my strength but, man oh man, was it a challenge. For those of you that did XTrain 90 day undulating rotation, how did you select your weights your first time through? Or did you do what I did and just guess? I am hoping that the second time around I don't feel so rushed and frustrated. To be honest, I don't feel like a got much of a workout. :( Tomorrow is Cardio Leg Blast which I have done before but not in the last 6 months while I was doing STS. Hopefully I will pick the right weights on the first try tomorrow!

Okay, so I started XTrain today and the first workout was Chest, Back & Shoulders. While it is clearly a great workout, it is SO different from STS that it threw me for a loop. I was all over the place with my weights meaning I had no clue what to use and basing it off of my 1RM from STS simply did not give me the right weight for the majority of the exercise. Granted, I am not feeling my best today so I am sure that affected my strength but, man oh man, was it a challenge. For those of you that did XTrain 90 day undulating rotation, how did you select your weights your first time through? Or did you do what I did and just guess? I am hoping that the second time around I don't feel so rushed and frustrated. To be honest, I don't feel like a got much of a workout. :( Tomorrow is Cardio Leg Blast which I have done before but not in the last 6 months while I was doing STS. Hopefully I will pick the right weights on the first try tomorrow![/QUOTE

I would suggest you have a general idea of how heavy you can lift. Write it down, use that weight during the workout. If it feels too light, go up in weight next workout. Too heavy, drop it down. You have ninety days with this rotation. Believe me, you will be able to zero in on your perfect weight. Keep working on it, and good luck. I loved this rotation, have fun with it. Remember, you can always do it again, if you don't get it right the first time.

Well, that didn't work, so let me try again. Have a general idea of how heavy you can lift, write it down, and use that weight. If it's too light, go heavier next workout. Too heavy, lighter next workout. Write down the weight you use, next workout you can go from there. If you are feeling strong, try going heavier, not so much, lighten up.You have ninety days with this rotation, plenty of time to figure it all out. If you don't get it right the first time, you can always do the rotation again. I loved this rotation. have fun with it, and good luck. I guess it did post, and I have posted twice. Nice job, Karen.

Well, that didn't work, so let me try again. Have a general idea of how heavy you can lift, write it down, and use that weight. If it's too light, go heavier next workout. Too heavy, lighter next workout. Write down the weight you use, next workout you can go from there. If you are feeling strong, try going heavier, not so much, lighten up.You have ninety days with this rotation, plenty of time to figure it all out. If you don't get it right the first time, you can always do the rotation again. I loved this rotation. have fun with it, and good luck. I guess it did post, and I have posted twice. Nice job, Karen.

Thanks, Karen! LOL! Looks like you're having a day like I am. ;) Technology is always fun, isn't it? You make a great point. In fact, such a good point it was worth posting twice! Seriously though, I should know better than to expect it will be perfect the first time through. I got spoiled with STS since I went through the process of 1RM testing prior to starting and therefore had all of the weights mapped out for me and nicely printed out on each workout card. I'm up for the challenge and I will hope I figure it out sooner than later!

Since Cathe tells us her weights for XTrain (unlike STS), I simply started with her weights and adjusted from there. I seem to remember the weights being a good starting point.....I went up in weight quite a bit during the 90 days, so the programme was undulating AND progressive!
You'll have it sorted in no time!
As for hardstrikes, do you wear weighted gloves/ wristweights? That helps.

Wow. I cannot believe you ladies have found Hard Strikes not challenging enough! Hard Strikes and HiiT 40/20 have been my first downloads and the first two times I did them, I felt like I would DIE. I wore 2.3 lb wrap gloves.
I know I have a long way to go. : )

Hi Christin!

This is Aimee....from West Genny! So funny...I haven't been on the forums in forever, and I was checking in to see about the new workouts just announced...and there you were!

Congratulations on both finishing and obtaining amazing results from STS! I myself am a "hard gainer" and that program really does work. It looks like you have found your next challenge...but I just wanted to say I did a "modified" Body Beast rotation in the fall...didn't do the program every day as designed, but did all the workouts in order every-other day, and I was very, very pleased with the results!! I was happy to go back to Cathe after all that testosterone, but it was really effective for me. I still find myself reaching for the optional Tempo workouts frequently to shake things up.

Also...I am also not a huge fan of Hard Strikes ...but...I love Rockout Knockout....more intense for me, for sure!!

Aimee

I like the modified Body Beast plan..... every other day. I've been a bit aprehensive to start BB and this makes it "doable". Thanks for the idea.

Hi Christin!

This is Aimee....from West Genny! So funny...I haven't been on the forums in forever, and I was checking in to see about the new workouts just announced...and there you were!

Congratulations on both finishing and obtaining amazing results from STS! I myself am a "hard gainer" and that program really does work. It looks like you have found your next challenge...but I just wanted to say I did a "modified" Body Beast rotation in the fall...didn't do the program every day as designed, but did all the workouts in order every-other day, and I was very, very pleased with the results!! I was happy to go back to Cathe after all that testosterone, but it was really effective for me. I still find myself reaching for the optional Tempo workouts frequently to shake things up.

Also...I am also not a huge fan of Hard Strikes ...but...I love Rockout Knockout....more intense for me, for sure!!

Aimee

Oh my gosh, HI!!!! How cool to "see" you here!!! Thanks so much for the kind words. I absolutely LOVED STS and am still kind of in mourning for it being over. I was really underweight when I started so I think my body just sopped up all the extra calories I started feeding it and turned most of it into muscle. Unfortunately, a little fat came along for the ride but, hey, I'm 43. Time to stop trying to be "perfect" and celebrate the small victories, you know? What a great idea for Body Beast! In fact, I think that when I am done with the XTrain rotation, I may do that. I even considered doing 2 per day (such as Shoulders along with Back & Biceps) since I typically work out for 1-1.5 hours each day. That way, I can get some Hiit in a couple times a week without sacrificing time with the weights. I wonder if anyone has tried it that way? Regardless, I am definitely going to do the program in the near future. I shocked myself by how much I grew to love lifting heavy weights. Previously, I was a hard-core, high-intensity-cardio-every-single-day kind of gal. That took a toll on my bod so I am happy to have found a good mix between cardio and weights. And the best part is, Cathe offers it all!!! Have you been working out with Cathe for long? What kinds of workouts do you like best?

Wow. I cannot believe you ladies have found Hard Strikes not challenging enough! Hard Strikes and HiiT 40/20 have been my first downloads and the first two times I did them, I felt like I would DIE. I wore 2.3 lb wrap gloves.
I know I have a long way to go. : )

Hi Elsie! Trust me, it is only after many, many years of doing some pretty intense Hiit workouts pretty much every single day that I now view a workout like Hard Strikes as a little easy. That said, I tend to go a little overboard at times and am realizing that there's something to be said for putting some more moderate workouts into my routine. :) Keep it up and you'll eventually look at 40/20 and realize "Hey! I'm gonna do this AND 30/30!" and even have some energy left over. As for me, I am mentally preparing for XTrain Legs tomorrow. I can already feel the DOMS......eek!

Christin

Elsie, I think it's horses for courses! Although I can do hiit / plyo and heavy weights, I suck at anything high rep....I won't even consider getting down on the mat to do fire hydrants and stuff like that. LOL. And at 40 -45 mins I start clock-watching....
short and intense for me!

Elsie, I think it's horses for courses! Although I can do hiit / plyo and heavy weights, I suck at anything high rep....I won't even consider getting down on the mat to do fire hydrants and stuff like that. LOL. And at 40 -45 mins I start clock-watching....
short and intense for me!
lol. Yeah, I am admittedly more of a fire hydrant girl I suppose! I've always liked floor work and small ball work, that type of thing (and I guess because I've had back issues since I was 17, I cannot go without ...it's also a pain management system for me). I do very much enjoy slow lifting too. I have been going completely out of my comfort zone lately however and honestly, all of the tabata type workouts the past couple of weeks really has me tired. I also makes me super hungry! So, I am gonna take at least three days off from it now I think. I don't want to make myself sick of it.
Having said that, I am finding folk's post around here just so motivating!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.