Your favorite easier workouts?

bzbnmom

Cathlete
I've had a low energy week and a few weeks ago a recovery week, having finished 5 months of STS. I'm finding a need to add some less intense workouts to my collection. Who better to ask than Cathe fans? What are your favorite workout DVDs for strength maintenance, cardio, movement, anything fun and mood lifting in the intermediate range that you enjoy doing?

Hi!

Party Rocking Step 2 and Cathe's Greatist Hits vol. 1 are fun step cardio workouts. Cardio Kicks for kickboxing is fun and Push Pull/ Supersets are easier total body strength endurance workouts. You might want to try some premixes too, they can be as long and as hard as you want.

Beth

My go to w/o when I feel tired and weak is MMA boxing, its fun, and when I am done I feel so pumped! I also like cardio supersets on these days, it's not as challenging as afterburn and usually I feel so good when it is over that I add on the step section as well.

Low Impact Circuit, Cardio & Weights, Supersets, Push Pull and all the MMA workouts are go-to recovery workouts for me.

Yoga Foundations, workout #1 is gentle (Travis Eliot), and Eoin Finn's Pure & Simple Yoga are good for recovery days.

I, too, am in search of some "recovery" cardio type workouts. I recently purchased a couple Jessica Smith walking workouts that are supposed to be low impact but they are still virgin workouts for me.

I agree with the recommendation for MMA Boxing because you can either skip or modify the leg portions. Also MMA Kickbox is lower intensity and IIRC, mostly lower impact. KickMax has a couple low impact premixes, too, that I haven't tried but don't sound too intense.

I believe KCM features someone doing modifications in her workouts, and I have to admit, I'm really digging her kickbox workouts. High fun factor, and her Circuit Blast (? I think that's the title) DVD has some really great premixes with shadow boxing that you can amp up with weighted gloves or take down a notch w/no gloves. Also Susan Chung's Rapid Fire 1 has a shadow box segment that is worth the price of the tape, and her RF 4 had a great boxing (no blast) premix that I often use on days where I want to give me legs a break.

I do need to remember to do shorter premixes! I have been starting to add short yoga segments to the end of shorter workouts and I think I need to continue this. Thanks for the DVD suggestions. I did Cardio Supersets this week as well as Low Impact Circuit, though LIC totally exhausted me which I didn't expect. I was thinking even more less intensity than these or maybe just shorter premixes (haha, not like the shorter 65 min LIC premix that I did!). Shorter step premixes and MMA sound right. I've never even tried out my Push Pull/Supersets yet.

I borrowed a few Ellen Barretts and did a second one this morning. That felt more like a rest day/stretch. Not sure how I feel about those. I also enjoyed Shiva Rea Yoga Flow for Beginners just last week and am waiting on my library for her next step up DVD.

I will check out the FitPrimes. Anyone ever try Cindy Whitmarsh's UFIT?

:) I love hearing your suggestions ...

Good ideas, Swimmer! I do have Yoga Foundations and a few KCM's I could do 30 min. I was looking at Jessica Smith's Total Body Balance, but then tried one of her walk workouts on youtube, and was unsure. Oh, the choices!

When I just want to move, but don't want to think about it, I do Petra Kolber's "Liquid Grooves." It's just kind of a flowy, movin' and groovin' thing. Very rest day.

When I just want to move, but don't want to think about it, I do Petra Kolber's "Liquid Grooves." It's just kind of a flowy, movin' and groovin' thing. Very rest day.

Hmmmm, this one looks like fun. Is the choreography difficult to learn? I'm the antithesis of graceful. ;)

Nope, not difficult at all. I like watching the guy. Something about him amazes me. I like the music in this one as well. I just kinda float. Very relaxing.

Good ideas, Swimmer! I do have Yoga Foundations and a few KCM's I could do 30 min. I was looking at Jessica Smith's Total Body Balance, but then tried one of her walk workouts on youtube, and was unsure. Oh, the choices!

Hi! I think Jessica Smith has a lot of great intermediate workouts and you don't even have to spend a dime if you get them from her YouTube channel. Her walking workouts are considered beginner/intermediate and probably way too easy for a Cathelete, but she has great intermediate workouts on her channel that you can preview first and then choose the ones you like.

If you're not in a budget and want to buy a couple of intermediate workouts then Jessica Smith Cardio Abs and 10 Pounds Down Body Blast are really solid workouts which are circuit based with weights and/or strength moves mixed with cardio blasts. Caroline Pearce's Total Cardio Burn is also an amazing intermediate workout with the same circuit training style as the two previously mentioned. If you are looking for weight training only, Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Your Best Body and Body Shop are really good and again rated intermediate. The good thing about those two is that they are divided in 2 shorter 30ish minute long workouts that target the whole body.

I got two of the Ufit workouts of Cindy Whitmarsh's on my wishlist. They look really good. However, Cindy has an "oldie" (circa 2008) that you can get from less than $7 on Amazon. It's called Results Fitness: 10 Days to a Better Body. It has the format of one of the Ufit workouts (upper body with cardio intervals in one segment and a second segment for lower body with cardio intervals) but with longer segments, Ufit's equivalent has these upper and lower body segments, but they are each 20 mins long and the Results Fitness workout segments are each 30 mins long. Also, Results Fitness is rated intermediate/advanced and Ufit is rated intermediate.

I also wanted to add that all the workouts I mentioned can be adjusted to a higher level when you want to work harder. So if you get any of them you can either use them for lighter days or make them more intense by using heavier weights (if the moves are slow enough to allow this) or do all the segments included at once instead of doing one of the shorter segments so you can burn more calories without getting out of breath.

This list is quite long, I hope it helps. Doing yoga is also a really good choice after STS and you've gotten great yoga recommendations already. Oh and I can't forget Cathe's Slide and Glide. That one is easier but sneaks up on you and best of all great cardio and body weight only strength segment. Yikes and Travel Fit is also good. Hehehe. I probably won't help you much with my long list. :eek: :p. I own a lot of intermediate workouts and actually like to do them often, when I do advanced workouts every day I gain weight because my appetite gets out of control so I like to mix both types of workouts during the week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.