1200 or 1500 cal.

Mariposa1973

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, how are you.My ? Is ok for womens 40 or more with you exercises routine is ok 1200 cal to 1500 is to much or to low, please let me know wath you think, thank you

Not Cathe, but that seems low to me. I am over 40 and eat between 1800-2200 calories a day. I usually stick to about 1800, but occassionally throw in a higher carb day and reach 2200+ calories. When you go too low you are really hurting your metabolism. Not sure what your goals are....but if I want to put on some muscle I have to eat more!!

Not Cathe, but that seems low to me. I am over 40 and eat between 1800-2200 calories a day. I usually stick to about 1800, but occassionally throw in a higher carb day and reach 2200+ calories. When you go too low you are really hurting your metabolism. Not sure what your goals are....but if I want to put on some muscle I have to eat more!!

What she said! :D I cringe when I see the "recommendations" for 1200 calorie diets, especially when you add exercise on top of that. How on earth would you sustain any energy or strength doing a tough workout on such a low calorie (IMO semi-starvation) diet? I need a minimum of 1800 calories a day, which is just by estimate since I don't usually count calories. It could definitely be more on many days, especially on days when I lift weights. For some reason, intense cardio suppresses my appetite whereas weight lifting stimulates it. Need those calories (especially from protein) for building muscle! :eek:

Good Morning,

IMO and this is just my opinion and experience. I don't think I could ever eat 2000 calories a day without gaining weight. I'm a small person. I weigh 120 pounds and 5'2 inches tall. I have a very sedentary job and I work out 6 days a week for about 25-30 min only. To maintain my weight I eat between 1400-1500 and when I'm in losing mode I eat 1250-1300 calories and it works great for me. Everyone is different and responds differently to food and exercise.

I agree with everyone! I think we're missing vital info - Mariposa, it'll depend on what 'size' you are! What frame, what weight, how much of that is muscle, how sedentary you are in the rest of your day (apart from the workouts).

I have an active job, I'm big - over 5'9" and 140lb, with a good portion of muscle and I work out a lot. My requirements will be very different to wonderwoman (for example), who sounds beautifully petite.

Try something like this : Harris Benedict Equation

Not perfect, but it should give you a starting point. You may need to 'reset' your metabolism if you have a history of cutting calories. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to advise you if that's the case.

Best of luck
Justine x

I agree with everyone! I think we're missing vital info - Mariposa, it'll depend on what 'size' you are! What frame, what weight, how much of that is muscle, how sedentary you are in the rest of your day (apart from the workouts).

I have an active job, I'm big - over 5'9" and 140lb, with a good portion of muscle and I work out a lot. My requirements will be very different to wonderwoman (for example), who sounds beautifully petite.

Try something like this : Harris Benedict Equation

Not perfect, but it should give you a starting point. You may need to 'reset' your metabolism if you have a history of cutting calories. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to advise you if that's the case.

Best of luck
Justine x

Everyone is so right about this and I loved reading the Harris Benedict. But I also have to take my medications into account. I've been on corticosteroids for 13 yrs now and never getting off of them, so I cannot consume the amount of calories I'm suppose to. I do have eat less because I will gain weight easily. Sometimes they have to increase my dosage for a week or so and even this makes me gain weight even with working out. I would like to see what Cathe has to say if she responds to this.

Kim

Everyone is so right about this and I loved reading the Harris Benedict. But I also have to take my medications into account. I've been on corticosteroids for 13 yrs now and never getting off of them, so I cannot consume the amount of calories I'm suppose to. I do have eat less because I will gain weight easily. Sometimes they have to increase my dosage for a week or so and even this makes me gain weight even with working out. I would like to see what Cathe has to say if she responds to this.

Kim

Kim I'm SO sorry you have to deal with the wrench in the system that is corticosteroid use. :( They are absolutely necessary for certain medical conditions and when you need them, you need them and there is no way to get around that. Gaining weight easily is unfortunately an unavoidable side effect. That sucks :mad: {{Hugs}}!

BTW, I am also 5'2" and currently a size 4 pants (weight between 115-118). I dropped a size when I was forced to drastically reduce dairy due to stomach issues (thought it was lactose intolerance turned out to be a stomach ulcer). Now that I'm in muscle building mode for the winter (doing STS), I'm trying not to step on the scale. Too much emphasis is often put on that number and we have to remember it's how we look that is important. Right now, I'm just trying to feed the muscle and plan to go back to metabolic conditioning in the spring/summer for a "cut".

I think if you are lifting weights and doing intense exercise to build cardio fitness it is important to eat enough to sustain that activity. If you aren't doing those things and aren't very active throughout your day (like a sedentary desk job that requires a lot of sitting) then a lower calorie diet is perfectly fine as it suits the level of activity. So, in essence, it's important to know the variables before offering a recommendation for any particular person.

I love you ladies for all this nice I formation I'm 5'6 tall with 150 pounds, I been take like 1300 cal sometimes more and no lose no gains for a year but now I want to lose from 5 to 10 pounds, I do exercises 6 times a week now I do January rotation but in cardio days I'm not to good for my back problem I make more like low Impact, I'm home all the time house work, but now on I will increase my cal. Thank you again

I think another very important point is to make sure that if you're not working out at the intensity you're used to, that you scale back a bit on fuel intake. I kept right on eating like I was "training like a warrior" when I had lowered my exercise frequency/intensity. I gained "bad" weight (NOT muscle!)...got bigger all over...felt like crap :eek::(! Now that I'm back to a good frequency/intensity I can resume the eating habits to which I had become accustomed. I'm also doing Cathe's January Metabolic Rotation and LOVE what I'm feeling and seeing ;)!

I think another very important point is to make sure that if you're not working out at the intensity you're used to, that you scale back a bit on fuel intake. I kept right on eating like I was "training like a warrior" when I had lowered my exercise frequency/intensity. I gained "bad" weight (NOT muscle!)...got bigger all over...felt like crap :eek::(! Now that I'm back to a good frequency/intensity I can resume the eating habits to which I had become accustomed. I'm also doing Cathe's January Metabolic Rotation and LOVE what I'm feeling and seeing ;)!

Haha! Isn't that the truth! :eek: I always find when I stop exercising my healthy eating habits go out the window. :eek: Not just from the pure calorie perspective, but I actually reach for more "empty" calorie junk foods when I'm not working out! They say a calorie is a calorie and I think that is true to an extent...but man is my body composition better when I fuel with high quality, nutrient dense food and protein!! :eek:

Haha! Isn't that the truth! :eek: I always find when I stop exercising my healthy eating habits go out the window. :eek: Not just from the pure calorie perspective, but I actually reach for more "empty" calorie junk foods when I'm not working out! They say a calorie is a calorie and I think that is true to an extent...but man is my body composition better when I fuel with high quality, nutrient dense food and protein!! :eek:

I also make sure on rest days that I eat super super clean, lower calories and more protein than carbs. I would say that Cathe's Januray rotation is high intensity and you really need to fuel your body right to get results.

I do agree everyone is different (body composition and fitness goals), but if you aren't losing weight on a low calorie diet, than I guarentee weight will come off as soon as you raise the calorie intake. You don't want your body in starvation mode. This is a great excuse to eat more (quality food, of course) Good luck!!

Hi, my cal intake came from vegatables, chicken, protein powder,eggs,black beans, corn tortillas home made,whole grain raice, sometimes Greek yogurt,. Where I do increment in the chicken Is 4oz to 5oz?Milk fat free in my coffee 2times a day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.