I just don't understand this...

workout

Cathlete
Hello Cathletes, I work out six times per week - do my strength training and cardio (have been exercising for years). I eat clean 80% of the time and have my treat one or twice per week. I weigh 132 pounds and I'm 5' 6" but I am 30% body fat, yes I am a "skinny fat person"!! I went to a health club and had a personal trainer take my weight, etc. and the calculations turned out to be 30% body fat. I thought it would be much lower than that - 30% puts me in the obese category. Honestly, I just wanted to give up on exercising and eating healthy; all of that hard work exercising and watching what I put in my mouth and it gives me a 30% body fat was very discouraging. At that percentage, I have a high risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc. as someone that weighs much more. I am 55 years old and I have read about women my age with much less body fat. Anyways, I just don't understand why and now I have this mental attitude of "what for". Regardless, I love Cathe and love reading about all of your challenges/success so I will continue to exercise with my 30% body fat. Just keep going, right? Thanks all for letting me put this out there.

I don't pay one bit of attention to some of those calculators! I'm 5" 120lbs and 43 years old. According to my BMI I'm obese....But I'm totally not. I wear a size small tops and a 4 or 6 on the bottom. I'm curvy and I have muscles....they weigh more than fat.

I went to my dr and asked her...she said I'm SUPER healthy! I have the resting heart rate of a 12 year old!

Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep doing what your doing it's not wrong!

Thanks hrcfitness, it's more important to know how you feel than what some calculations say about your body. I'm definitely going to keep going - I enjoy exercising way too much to stop. Thanks.

May I ask what kind of calculations your trainer used? From your stats (height, weight) you are certainly not obese. 30% body fat for you sounds way off.

Honestly, I hate those measurements of body fat and BMI. So often they are not accurate and then they make someone who is in good shape like yourself feel bad.

Use your own common sense and go with that. You know you are fit and in great shape, and that your weight is fine. Keep doing what you're doing!

May I ask what kind of calculations your trainer used? From your stats (height, weight) you are certainly not obese. 30% body fat for you sounds way off.

ITA with Jeanne Marie. Unless they are very precisely, scientifically done (like in a Bod Pod at a University, etc) most body composition tests are bunk because the device used is flakey and also because of error on the part of the person doing the measuring. What did the trainer use? Measuring tape? Callipers? Body fat scale?

Definitely keep going! Don't let this discourage you.

I agree with what your doctor said! Don't let a little tool stop you from doing what you feel is best for you! I am a lot like you in habits.......working out and eating. Sometimes I feel great.....come Thanksgiving.....uuummmm :eek: . However, my doctor says I'm fit and healthy. Remember, ANY amount of exercise is worth it and if you can keep the diet in check....bonus! It's a lot more than what most people do or don't do! Keep your chin up!

Thanks everyone!!

Thank you everyone for your comments. All of you are correct, I am not going to pay attention to this one bit and let it derail something I love to do. I have noticed an increase in muscle definition doing Cathe's rotations/programs so that 30% body fat from the trainer just totally surprised me. He only took my weight and height and said "30% body fat", so thinking about it I can see that using those numbers may not give you a true body fat percentage.

Regardless, thank you all, I appreciate it. I love this forum, everyone is always so helpful. Thank you again!!!

I'm in the same boat. Calculators tell me I'm around 30% body fat but I wear XS and small tops and size 6/8 bottoms. There is no way that is obese. The only way to truly calculate body fat accurately is to do one of those hydro-emersion tests or whatever they're called.

BMI is obviously a ridiculous measurement because at 5'4" and 150 lbs, I'm considered overweight. I don't think a size 6/8 is overweight.

Thanks, UNLVCrjChick. You are definitely NOT overweight. Those calculations are ridiculous, right?

from someone in the health business those calculations do not count on a women actually having muscle weight (the whole bmi calculation using height and weight) The general population doesn't watch what they eat and the heaviest thing most women lift will be their purse most of their lives and the farthest they will walk will be during a shopping trip. The calculations are with those women in mind.

This goes across the board when pharmacies/doctors calculate medication for body weight. I've had issues with my weight/med cause well I'm heavier but physiology is smaller KWIM. I've attended wellness conference and there have been some ideas presented to more accurately determine health but with health care changes its a slow to change do to clinical test for ideas

We are sadly as a nation (USA) in a overweight, obese and working on morbidly obese society. This is wrecking our healthcare and economy. The healthcare changes aren't gonna help if we can't change American addiction to sedentary entertainment, fast food and buffets (sorry soap box issue)

I live in one of the fattest states in America and sadly see what the lifestyle is doing to the young. They have health issues that use to be only seen in the elderly.

I wish that folks would all get addicted to Cathe workouts:D

Keep working out and loving your self.

Thank you everyone for your comments. All of you are correct, I am not going to pay attention to this one bit and let it derail something I love to do. I have noticed an increase in muscle definition doing Cathe's rotations/programs so that 30% body fat from the trainer just totally surprised me. He only took my weight and height and said "30% body fat", so thinking about it I can see that using those numbers may not give you a true body fat percentage.

Regardless, thank you all, I appreciate it. I love this forum, everyone is always so helpful. Thank you again!!!

Holy moly...he only took your height and weight and presumed 30% body fat?? :confused: That is crazy ridiculous! How in the world would he know your muscle to fat ratio with just height and weight measurements? That measurement was definitely off, big time!

I am a personal trainer. I work in a PT studio that does absolutely no measuring, weighing or BF% measuring AT ALL! If clients want to keep track of that stuff then they do so on their own and it works out just fine. They are getting phenomenal results anyway.

ITS.JUST.A.BUNCH.OF.SH*T.!!!!

It's a sales tactic to get you to buy their training! Walk away and continue to do what you are doing because you are sooooo not 30% BF at those stats if you weight train!

I am a personal trainer. I work in a PT studio that does absolutely no measuring, weighing or BF% measuring AT ALL! If clients want to keep track of that stuff then they do so on their own and it works out just fine. They are getting phenomenal results anyway.

ITS.JUST.A.BUNCH.OF.SH*T.!!!!

It's a sales tactic to get you to buy their training! Walk away and continue to do what you are doing because you are sooooo not 30% BF at those stats if you weight train!

Tell it sister! You go girl!

Fit Mommy is right, I can attest to that also. Height and weight is way too basic and doesn't account for so many parameters. A tape measure around the waist and some fat calipers would have lent a wee bit more credibility. I wouldn't invest anything in that 30 percent quote. Blah...

Never give your power away.

Hey Diva, Have you considered the motives of that personal trainer? They want your business and would probably say anything to get it. I will tell you one thing. I quit exercising over the summer at the encouragement of my husband. He said we had too much work to do with garden, painting the house ect. I admit it was a busy summer but I sacrificed something I knew I shouldn't and the past few weeks I have been paying for it big time. I knew I was losing muscle and gaining fat. Now I am finally back on track and just ordered X Train. Don't ever lose sight of the gains you have made. Best wishes, Kat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.