What size kettle bell should I start with?

tralaiven

Cathlete
Thinking about getting Skogg kb DVDs...but am clueless about size of kb to start with:confused:. I have never done kbs.

Currently in STS phase 2...bench pressing 55-60. General bicep work avg 15 lbs each arm....what do you think?

I should say my shoulders aren't that strong because I broke my right one 2 years ago. So for STS drop set shoulders I just did 15/12/10.

Thank you

I haven't done Skogg - but I do other Kettlebell workouts with an 8kg (just under 17lb) bell. It's quite light compared to what some use, but the w/o includes bicep curls and other exercises for which I wouldn't want to go any heavier. If it were just for swings, I'd say go heavier.
Like you my shoulders aren't my strongest area, and I'd hate to do some damage by trying to be too macho over my KB weight :eek:
I think 8kg would be a good weight for you and you'd get a really good cardio and toning w/o.
Also, consider the shape - mine isn't contoured, and I regret it every time I do an overhead press.
HTH
Justine x

Thanks for the advice Justine! (Ok...you must not be in the states...I just thought that kbs were only sold in kg...that is how little I know about them! So I had to convert it for me here...so the closest to that weight here would probably be 15 lb or 20 lb)

Also..why contoured? What is the difference?

Last edited:
I'm UK - although of an age where I still use lbs and ounces for a lot of things!
The contour makes the KB sit more comfortably against your arm if you need to raise it, and also makes a 'suitcase swing' a little easier (where you swing the KB outside the thigh). Here's an example of one:
Amazon.com: GoFit Contoured Single Vinyl Coated Kettlebell With Training Dvd: Sports & Outdoors
If you have wrist weights, maybe go for the 15lb and if you want to progress, just do the w/o with wrist weights on?
Best of luck!
Justine

Hi Tracy,

kettlebell is different toy compared to Barbell and Dumbbell.

Anthony Diluglio swinging the kb in good form is amazing to watch but it's require techique built up to confidently go through a good 20-25 minute workout.

I would advise starting 3kg/about 8 pound if you are a KB virgin/newbie ;)
Most of the moves require shoulder assistance and it can turn into a high reps challenge. Remember when we workout shoulder with dumbbell, we usually select lighter load than we would if we were working biceps for example.

Plus it does interfere with the wrist. I would play safe !

All the best,

Thanks so much for your valued input Nathalie and Justine! Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

I really am excited about starting the Skogg kb... Of course ite will have to be after I finish my STS double time....but I only have two more weeks of that wherein I will start and complete Meso 3.

Thanks so much for your valued input Nathalie and Justine! Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

I really am excited about starting the Skogg kb... Of course ite will have to be after I finish my STS double time....but I only have two more weeks of that wherein I will start and complete Meso 3.

I too, looking forward to adding skogg. I have not ordered yet but will for sure. I have a 3kg and 5kg kettlebell. I know I now need 8kg but will start over again from 5kg. I did kb before and i want to re-start with good form pointers and rebuild up. I will build up to double kb moves:D:D;). I can recall doms after just a twenty minutes workout. Somehow I needed a shake for recovery big time ;)

Tracy get ready for some serious doms ;)

I never did KBs either until I started Skogg, and, even though many start with heavier, I always start new things on the conservative side.

He recommends 4kg, 9 lb bell for women/beginners, I started with 10 lb. as you become more accustomed to the swings and lifts as well as the timing, you'll know whether or not to move up, the program progresses and I was tempted to speed up when they did through the different levels. This is not really a follow along like most Cathe weight workouts, it's a your weight, your pace, kind of thing.

What to get? I used this site as general info...and went with CAP Barbell, I didn't know if I wanted to get into a lot of $$$, just something that would work for this system, and it does. I also got some baseball gloves & the double Wilson wristbands. You're going to sweat, and you want to protect your hands & wrists.

I'm currently on week 7, after taking a cutback from everything earlier this month. Love it.

Last edited:
I started with an 12kg (26lbs) for swings, and an 8kg (18lbs) for overhead moves like overhead squat, windmills, turkish get ups, etc. I now have a decent collection of heavier bells. I wouldn't recommend going any lower than 8kg - it's too easy to cheat when you use a lighter bell and your form will be lazy. Going light is not your friend.

I have mostly Aders, and they are fantastic. A little more expensive but SUPER comfy - I love them. I got mine here: Kettlebell Inc.

I started with an 12kg (26lbs) for swings, and an 8kg (18lbs) for overhead moves like overhead squat, windmills, turkish get ups, etc. I now have a decent collection of heavier bells. I wouldn't recommend going any lower than 8kg - it's too easy to cheat when you use a lighter bell and your form will be lazy. Going light is not your friend.

I have mostly Aders, and they are fantastic. A little more expensive but SUPER comfy - I love them. I got mine here: Kettlebell Inc.

I think you're wrong about most of what you say.

I think you're wrong about most of what you say.

LOL. That is funny. Especially since I got my information from some of the best trainers out there, and my recommendations are in line with the VAST majority of recommendations available for women just starting out.

But whatever works for you.... Your vast 7 weeks of KB experience certainly may trump my many years of experience, and the decades of experience of those I learned from. At least your reply was also rude. You have that going for you. ;)

LOL. That is funny. Especially since I got my information from some of the best trainers out there, and my recommendations are in line with the VAST majority of recommendations available for women just starting out.

But whatever works for you.... Your vast 7 weeks of KB experience certainly may trump my many years of experience, and the decades of experience of those I learned from. At least your reply was also rude. You have that going for you. ;)

exactly....why I said that...because I unlike you I actually read what the OP posted/asked.....maybe I just read it that way but your post sure came across to me as "what the heck does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"

maybe...Skogg is a different kind of program & given many will do it with out any prior knowledge of KBs, I'll stick with his recommendation.

I'm sure your knowledge of many things is vast.

you haven't seen rude yet honey.

Oht oh....:confused: IMHO I think both views are right. I think it just depends on the individual and their comfort and ability levels.

I'm very new to KB's. When I started Skogg for the 1st 2 workouts 101 and Roots 1, I used a 10LB because I was 'SCARED' :eek: especially with snatches to go any higher. But I got comfortable right away and moved from a 10lb right up to a 20lb KB.

I'm very slowly going through the Skogg workouts, only when I want to. Today just finished Flow Level 2. Very tough :eek:

Just my experience. Love adding in a new form of exercise:cool:

Oht oh....

Nah, no worries. I know better than to be drawn into anything with these types of people. Not going to happen. :)

IMHO I think both views are right. I think it just depends on the individual and their comfort and ability levels.

I'm very new to KB's. When I started Skogg for the 1st 2 workouts 101 and Roots 1, I used a 10LB because I was 'SCARED' :eek: especially with snatches to go any higher. But I got comfortable right away and moved from a 10lb right up to a 20lb KB.

I'm very slowly going through the Skogg workouts, only when I want to. Today just finished Flow Level 2. Very tough :eek:

Just my experience. Love adding in a new form of exercise:cool:

That is great!!!!! Another reason that starting light isn't a great idea for the majority of people - you get comfortable very quickly, and then you have a very expensive door stop. :) KB's are a GREAT functional full body workout - so incredibly efficient!!!! Happy to hear folks are getting into it - very cool.

Those doing Skogg now might also look into the RKS program when/if you are looking for something different (RKS Workout Home) - another solid progressive program.

Went on a buying spree this year :) My goal is no more til next year, except for Cathe's new ones of course. Bought KBKB (KettleBell KickBoxing). Comes with 4 workouts. Haven't tried these yet but based on reviews and suggestions from others over on VF I'm sure I'll be using my 10lb KB. These are supposedly more 'cardio based'. The instructor Dasha apparently talks alot :( Oh well, this seems more common now. DreamBody comes to mind. Maybe I'll try KBKB next week.

May also look into RKS but it will have to be next year :) Heard Zuzka is getting her RKC kettlebell certification. So we may be getting a kettlebell workout from her :)

I am not familiar with Skogg, so the weights I use may not apply.

When I was starting Kettlebells and asked what weight to start with, most people on this forum advised getting something around 20lbs. This was perfect for me. I use my 20 and 25 lb bells the most. I do have a 15#, which is nice for learning a new move (and for squat-style Turkish getups--which are harder for me than regular ones). But I barely use the 15#. I have a 35#, but I use that primarly for weighted moves like rows, deadlifts, and lunges--and swings if I REALLY want to get my heartrate up.:eek: But I don't do kettlebells that often (mostly for something different between rotations), so I haven't really progressed to needing heavier bells.

Oh, and while most kettlebells are in kg, mine are in pounds--only because the GoFit brand were the only ones in my local stores at the time, and I didn't want to pay for shipping. Kettlebells are much more widely available now.

Last edited:
Zanara25 - I had my eye on the KB Kick Boxing - my two favourite w/o types :p - I'd love to know what you think when you've tried them
This discussion prompted me to get out my KBs yesterday - I love the fact that it can reach the places other workouts miss! And I'm feeling it today!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.