When did PlayDoh become....

fitdeb

Cathlete
...a controlled substance?

Yesterday, at Target, I attempted to buy a couple of containers of Play Doh.

The cashier asked me for ID. I thought she was kidding. The system was asking for my ID and would not process the order without it. The cashier was not only supposed to check my ID but swipe my driver's license!

That was asking for quite a bit more information than I wanted to give in order to buy $3.00 worth of PlayDoh.

My question is, if PlayDoh is so dangerous that my purchases need to be monitored, why on earth are stores selling it????

Anyone else run into this?

I left the Target without my PlayDoh, went to Total Wines and bought a case of wine, no ID necessary! Am I missing something?

Debbie Russo

Seriously?! PlayDoh? Wow!:eek:
And I get annoyed having to go through all that stuff just to buy an over-the-counter decongestant. I obviously haven't purchased PlayDoh in years.

Wow! Never heard of this before. Playdough is like bread in my house. Always have to have it. My 2 yr old goes nuts over it!

That's odd :confused::rolleyes:. I live in Canada and have never got carded for PlayDoh (I buy A LOT of PlayDoh). How can I live in a world where PlayDoh becomes a controlled substance??? Whatever :rolleyes:.

Natasha

I just bought Play-Doh last month and I didn't have that problem. I shop at Target on a regular basis and never had them to ask for my ID. Really curious to know why they asked for yours.

I'm guessing the OP lives in California. When I lived there, I couldn't believe some of the things I had to show my ID for in order to buy!

You know what you do at Target? Say 'no you can't swipe my driver's license, you can key in the birthdate'. I had a little discussion with the cashier and then the store manager because they couldn't answer what they did with my data so I told them they could examine the license and key in the birthdate. They need a manager's override so the cashiers don't like to do it, but that is all they need for cold medicine. I don't know what they are doing with play doh (making pipes? I don't know :rolleyes:), but challenge them.

Wegman's tried to swipe my drivers license with my beer the other day and I had to reach over and grab it out of her hand after she grabbed it out of mine. I have and will walk out of places that insist on storing my data in their unsecured databases.

Stepping off my soapbox...:eek:

You know what you do at Target? Say 'no you can't swipe my driver's license, you can key in the birthdate'. I had a little discussion with the cashier and then the store manager because they couldn't answer what they did with my data so I told them they could examine the license and key in the birthdate. They need a manager's override so the cashiers don't like to do it, but that is all they need for cold medicine. I don't know what they are doing with play doh (making pipes? I don't know :rolleyes:), but challenge them.

Wegman's tried to swipe my drivers license with my beer the other day and I had to reach over and grab it out of her hand after she grabbed it out of mine. I have and will walk out of places that insist on storing my data in their unsecured databases.

Why do they even want your birthdate? What happens if you don't let them have any of your personal data? I get asked for my phone number or my postal code all the time but I never give it - haven't had any hassle over this.

Stebby

Why do they even want your birthdate? What happens if you don't let them have any of your personal data? I get asked for my phone number or my postal code all the time but I never give it - haven't had any hassle over this.

Stebby

I guess you have to be over 18 to make meth :D

If you don't give them the data, then they can refuse to sell you the product. When I am feeling particularly feisty, I tell them no. Target is particularly bad, Rite Aid and CVS don't ask.

I generally don't get a hassle over not giving my phone number or postal code, either. And I know that they have that info if you are using a credit card anyway.

There's so much data about you out there and that may be ok, I do want the data secured though so that the script kiddies have a harder time getting to it. Or shredded if physically collecting data....

Good for you!:)
Reading this stuff gives me the creeps. :eek:Facebook gives me the creeps too. Someone hacked my account, and was posting all over the place. The only reason I have a FB account is so I could view photos of my dogs playing at doggie daycare. :rolleyes:

I am the OP and I have to tell you I am tempted to go to another local Target and try again to buy PlayDoh.

I live on the west coast of Florida (Sarasota) and I am still kinda floored over this. I can't imagine what the thought process is with this policy. Isn't PlayDoh nontoxic? Even though it was a really creative idea, I can't picture crack addicts molding purple playdoh into a pipe! I think I need to google illicit uses for playdoh.

I refuse to buy wine at Target because the policy (here at least) is that they
card everyone and will only sell it to you if they scan your driver's license. Now I am a personal trainer and have been working out forever and I look damned good for my age, but on no planet do I look like I am in my 20's (even though I feel like it ;)).

It has become routine here for every major retail establishment to immediately ask for your telephone number and e-mail address at checkout. I always just say "no thank you I don't share that information", but on some level I am sure I come off rude.

Debbie Russo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.