Official Cathe Beginner Rotation

A premix is a variation of the original workout. Usually Cathe would re-arrange a workout to make it longer/shorter/have different emphasis. For example, the Cardio and Weights DVD has the original 60-minute workout, plus shorter premixes of between 35 to 48 minutes that gives you workouts with light weights only, with heavy weights only, with cardio only, etc. That helps when you are short on time or when you just want to focus on one aspect of your training. It also helps keep the workout fresh so you don't get bored of it.

I hope that makes sense!

Hi , I am new to working out with cathe. Just bought the dvd's for the beginner workout and don't have the tubing . I do have resistance bands light,med and heavy. Which would be better to use?
Thanks

Exactly what I was looking for! I have gone from working out regularly to sedentary about 15mos ago due to an injury that eventually required surgery. I thought I could pick right back up at my intermediate level - wrong! I'm confident that a couple of months of this rotation will have me back at my previous level. Thank you!!

These workouts are Basic Step and Body Fusion (both on one DVD), Low Impact Step and Total Body Sculpting (both on one DVD), and Total Body Stretching.

Yay! This is exactly what I was looking for. Very much a beginner here and at 173 (after a 95lb loss) I think most of the videos will kill me. Found Cathe on Fittv, now off to get these dvd's...

lisaislosingit

Hey, i just finished this rotation at the end of 2009, It was great, lost pounds & inches:D, gained strength & confidence.;)
some things I did were:
spent a little more time in the beginning getting the steps, rewinding parts until I got them
I used lighter weights & no bands (until I got the bands)
modified whatever I couldn't do, just try to do more every time
you can learn steps on the floor first
you can always stop and take a breather
If you stick with it, it definitely will get results,

You'll just love it!
Congrats on the weight loss!:D
Linda

Help please!

Hello- I've been trying out this workout for about a week (I have all the dvds etc) but I am confused about Cathe's instructions.

Monday's workout includes the "Lower body weight add on" and Wednesday's includes the "Upper body weight add on" while on Saturday you are meant to do the "Upper AND lower body tubing routine".

The thing is the Basic step and body fusion dvd only has one add on workout for upper and lower body respectively, each involving both weights and tubing. So how are you meant to do the tubing routine separately on Saturday?

Similar question here...

Hello- I've been trying out this workout for about a week (I have all the dvds etc) but I am confused about Cathe's instructions.

Monday's workout includes the "Lower body weight add on" and Wednesday's includes the "Upper body weight add on" while on Saturday you are meant to do the "Upper AND lower body tubing routine".

The thing is the Basic step and body fusion dvd only has one add on workout for upper and lower body respectively, each involving both weights and tubing. So how are you meant to do the tubing routine separately on Saturday?

I was curious about that as I am trying to slowly get back into shape and honestly doing the entire lower body and upper body workouts just about killed me. Was curious if on the days where she specifies HAND WEIGHTS we do only the hand weight portions and on the days where she specified TUBING we do only the tubing?

were these answered?

Originally Posted by Roopeehoox View Post

I was curious about that as I am trying to slowly get back into shape and honestly doing the entire lower body and upper body workouts just about killed me. Was curious if on the days where she specifies HAND WEIGHTS we do only the hand weight portions and on the days where she specified TUBING we do only the tubing?

I am asking these questions as well :eek: I just set up my calandar for the workouts in the W/M and was a bit confused. Can someone help? Thanks ....

I am asking these questions as well :eek: I just set up my calandar for the workouts in the W/M and was a bit confused. Can someone help? Thanks ....

I did this rotation Oct-Dec 2009, I never noticed the wording (hand weights/tubing) and did the videos as produced. I think in the beginning I didn't have tubing so I just used hand weights for the tubing portion. See what works for you. Honestly I don't know if she meant one thing over another. The workouts are just that, Upper Body, Lower Body, one each.

It's an excellent rotation, have fun!

Linda:)

If you are new to working out with me and are fairly new to fitness, I suggest you use the following DVD's along with this posted 3 month fitness program to prepare you for my more advanced workouts.

These workouts are Basic Step and Body Fusion (both on one DVD), Low Impact Step and Total Body Sculpting (both on one DVD), and Total Body Stretching. The equipment used in these beginner DVD's is as follows: 3 to 5 pound handweights, an exercise tube (preferrably with handles), and a stability ball.

Side Note:
After doing the 3 month break in period, I think all other tapes will be more comfortable for you (however, I suggest Cardio and Weights as the next stepping stone). The workouts that you should hold off on for a good few months are all of the Imax workouts (ie: Interval Max, Imax 1, 2 or 3) and any workouts labled using the words "Extreme or Terminator" in its title.

Here is a three month starter workout plan:

Week 1,2 and 3:

Mon: Basic Step plus Lower body hand weight add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Tues: OFF

Wed: Basic Step plus upper body hand weight add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Thurs: One Segment from Total Body Stretching (a good idea to start with the segment that uses no equipment)

Fri: Basic Step plus Abdominal routine add on (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Sat: Upper AND lower body tubing routine (it is one of the workouts on the tape)

Sun: One segment of Total Body Stretching plus the the abdominal add on from the Basis Step DVD

WEEK 4, 5, and 6

Mon: Body Fusion

Tues: Lower Body add on with hand weight from Basic Step DVD

Wed: Body Fusion

Thurs: The abdominal add on from the Basic Step DVD plus One segment from total Body stretching

Fri: Brisk walk outside for 40 minutes and a segment from Total Body Stretching

Sat: Upper and Lower body add on with tubing plus abdominal segment from Basic Step DVD (they are all on the DVD)

Sun: A segment from Total Body Stretching DVD

Week 7, 8, and 9

Mon: Low Impact Step

Tues: Total Body Sculpting

Wed: Low Impact Step

Thurs: Abdominal Add on from Basic Step DVD plus one stretch segment from Total Body Stretching

Fri: Body Fusion

Sat: OFF

Sun: Total Body Sculpting

Week 10, 11, and 12

Mon: Low Impact Step

Tues: Lower Body Add On with hand weights from Basic Step DVD

Wed: Body Fusion

Thurs: Brisk walk for 40 minutes plus abdominal add on from Basic Step DVD

Fri: Total Body Sculpting

Sat: One segment Total Body Stretching

Sun: OFF

As far as what to eat....

Eat a wide variety of veggies, especially dark leafy green veggies, a wide variety of lean protein sources, a wide variety of complex carbohydrates, and keep all your foods in their more natural form (without cream sauces, or frying, or without swimming in oils). Eat a wide variety of healthy fruits too and be sure that you have citrus sources as well. A daily multi-vitamin is a good idea too.

Good luck and always listen to your body along the way. Gently push harder on energetic days. Strive to maintain your best effort on stressful or "not fully into it" days. Take a day off on days that you have lead legs, fighting a bad cold, feeling mentally or physically run down, or experience an overall sense of "I just can't do this today"
Thank you so much!!! I truly appreciate it. This is exactly what I needed

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.