stood up

I think everyone has some very caring and honest advice for you that I totally agree with. I just want to echo what another poster said that it might help you to stop beating yourself up over being upset. You're upset, and you don't need permission to be, and you don't need to justify it. It sounds like you need to stop, face, and own those feelings, over this guy and about the whole situation. Maybe you need to sit with the feelings and cry. If you just let the emotions happen to you without judging them, you'll be able to process them and release them. And then you will be better able to learn to value yourself and love yourself in such a real way that some jerk can't come along and treat you badly and shake your confidence.

I'm also not against telling the jerk off, either. It may make you feel better for standing up for yourself and for other women he will treat this same way.

I know this is hard, and I do so feel for you, girl! You are worth so much more than this! (((hugs)))

Here is the Laws of JT when it comes to dating:

If a man asks you out less than 48 hours of the event, I refuse.
If he calls on Thursday night for a date on Friday nights, it
s a no go. Guys from church hate this one because it involves commitment The 48 hour rule.
The third date usually is when you see someone's true colours. This date determines alot of the relationship will continue. The Third Date Rule.
Kids or animals are the best screeners for men. Kids/Pets Screener Rule.
My final rule is if he stands me up once, he will do it again. The Run Like H#@! Rule

He's a guy that doesn't care about you, because you announced to him that you don't care about you either.

I agree with almost everything that Govtgirl wrote, except for this tiny little part.:)

I agree that this guy doesn't seem to care about you but that's not because you announced that you don't care about you. It's probably just because he didn't feel that way about you. You didn't cause his behavior, you did allow it, though. If you had spoken up at the beginning about some of these things(he only texts??), he either would have stood you up right away--which would have sucked but it probably wouldn't have hurt quite as much--or he would have adjusted his behavior as he would have realized that if he wanted to be with you he had to act differently.

I understand how you feel and I think you have every right to be upset and to want to vent, so you should get to do those things. It's difficult when you want something badly and you can't seem to figure out a way to get it. And it's especially painful when it's seems to come so easy to others. Whatever caused his behavior, he hurt you and you don't need to apologize for feeling a natural emotion. Dating is tough, putting yourself and your feelings out there is tough. I hope you meet a great guy who deserves and appreciates you! ((HUGS))

I agree with almost everything that Govtgirl wrote, except for this tiny little part.:)

....You didn't cause his behavior, you did allow it, though....

Yup, you're right, that's a more accurate way of saying it. What I was meaning, was that a person's behavior tells other people how you will be treated. It's like a reflection on how you see yourself. He would have been a jerk nonetheless, but then she wouldn't have had as much emotion invested in it.

Your way of saying it is much better :)

And more ((HUGS)) to kblover :)

Anything I say will just be repeating the great advice and affection you've already gotten, but I'll say a few short things worth repeating:

--it's not about you--it's about him being a weinie
--better to wait for a man who treats you like the queen you are than to settle for a jerk
--take time to love yourself
--love seems to happen when you're not expecting to find it--when you're busy enjoying life in some other way
--and (((((((HUGS))))))

Aww! Hugs!

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Forget about him. Its just a tough dating scene out there. I know so many great singles and its not just you. My clock is ticking too and I can't tell you where the men are (the home depot thing doesn't work.) Online dating was dismal and depressing. The only thing I can tell you is to do all the stuff you want to do and not worry about the lack of men out there. I know, easier said than done.

I totally agree with Govtgirl!! I also have two questions for you to consider. I don't mean them to sound harsh, but they are worth thinking about:
a) you sound very "attached" to this man emotionally, even though you've never spoken on the phone and have only had two barely planned dates (you referred to yourself as "dating" him, which you are not) Why?
b) you also sound as though you have some issues with / fear of being alone. Again - why?

Calling this guy names is not the answer. You're making very huge assumptions about someone you (and no one else here) knows. You clearly just have different perspectives and are looking for different things. As someone else posted - men can smell desperation a mile away. He may have been holding back intentionally because he's not ready / looking for the same things you are.

Marriage is NOT the Holy Grail. (one look at the divorce rate proves that). I know many women in their 40s, 50s and 60s who have never married and are perfectly happy. Why do you attach your happiness / sense of self to your marital status?

Until you are happy and content with yourself and your life - as it is, not how you would imagine it to be - you will not find true happiness in a relationship, as you will be looking to the other person for fulfillment - something that is not possible. That ridiculous line from Jerry McGuire ("you complete me") is NOT the position to function from. You should be complete AS YOU ARE! You need to find your happiness within yourself.

Again - this is not meant to sound harsh, but just some food for thought. Being single is hardly the worst thing that could happen to you.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Govtgirl!! I also have two questions for you to consider. I don't mean them to sound harsh, but they are worth thinking about:
a) you sound very "attached" to this man emotionally, even though you've never spoken on the phone and have only had two barely planned dates (you referred to yourself as "dating" him, which you are not) Why?
b) you also sound as though you have some issues with / fear of being alone. Again - why?

Calling this guy names is not the answer. You're making very huge assumptions about someone you (and no one else here) knows. You clearly just have different perspectives and are looking for different things. As someone else posted - men can smell desperation a mile away. He may have been holding back intentionally because he's not ready / looking for the same things you are.

Marriage is NOT the Holy Grail. (one look at the divorce rate proves that). I know many women in their 40s, 50s and 60s who have never married and are perfectly happy. Why do you attach your happiness / sense of self to your marital status?

Until you are happy and content with yourself and your life - as it is, not how you would imagine it to be - you will not find true happiness in a relationship, as you will be looking to the other person for fulfillment - something that is not possible. That ridiculous line from Jerry McGuire ("you complete me") is NOT the position to function from. You should be complete AS YOU ARE! You need to find your happiness within yourself.

Again - this is not meant to sound harsh, but just some food for thought. Being single is hardly the worst thing that could happen to you.

NY25...I couldn't get to the computer fast enough when I read your post. I actually knocked a couple of 8th graders over...but when I looked back as I ran to my office...they seemed fine.

THANK YOU thank you thaaaannnnkkkkkkk you! I couldn't agree more with you and Govtgirl...because I have appoached all previous relationships from this "attached way too soon" perspective. Don't get me wrong...I'm 36 and blissfully single. But when I do get into a relationship...I'm basically shouting at the guys (although no words are coming out...kinda like that commercial on TV) that I will take whatever they've got to bring to the table...which is usually a few crumbs.

I'd LOVE to hear more about the 40, 50 and 60 years-olds who are happily single. We never hear about those people. I think American culture believes they've gone to live in a shoe or something. As I said, I am 36 and very happy and content. But it seems like no matter what social circles I'm hanging out in at the time (family, friends or work acquaintances)...people always feel the need to say (with a pouty look on their face)..."Don't worry...you'll find the right guy." Ugh! What if I don't? What if we never meet the right one, never settle, and decide to be kick ass single girls. Isn't that ok?

Sorry...but I'm going to ANOTHER wedding this weekend. The 417th person 10 years younger than me who is getting married. And I'm dreading the pouty face.

Thanks so much for your words...:)Jonezie

PS...CC, I SO know where you are coming from and wanted to share a book that REALLY opened my eyes. I read The Rules because a friend made me promise I would...but it was a little too "Be anything but your real self" for me. I also read "He's Just Not That Into You..." but by page 5, I knew what the response was going to be before moving on to the next 147 pages. BUT...I really responded to "Why Men Love Bitches." I thought (whispering)...bitches?!? I could NEVER be a (whispering again)...bitch...to a man. But it's so not what you think. If you want to make a stop by B&N and take a look...it is amazing advice for identifying who you are and not settling for anything less. Just a thought...hope it helps!

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that I know how you feel. I hate dating. I've 34, just broke up with the guy who I thought was "the one," and I am on the dating scene. I know it sucks when a guy stands you up, but consider yourself lucky you didn't waste anymore of your time with such a jerk. You deserve a lot better than that.
Lorrie

I could not agree with your more. I was actually talking about this with a friend of mine the other day; why do people feel the need to use marriage as some sort of status-symbol? ANYONE can just get married. It doesn't make you more accomplished than me, it doesn't make you happier than me, and it doesn't make you better than me. I think people get so wrapped up in titles and thinking their lives need to adhere to some sort of time line, that if they don't accomplish this and that by this point in time then they are failures and I find THIS to be sad.

My best friend's family is very old-fashioned. And by old fashioned I mean you need to be married by 25, have kids by the time you're 30, and give up any sort of career outside of the house because it's your job to take care of your man and pump out kids (at least 4) for the rest of your life. The wives don't have friends outside of the family but the men can. So, once she turned 25, regardless of the fact that neither she nor her husband had any sort of financial stability, my BFF got married. Now she is pregnant and doesn't know how they will afford their child but it's "what you're supposed to do at this age (we're 29)." And let me tell you, she is one of the most miserable people I have ever met in my life! She never smiles anymore, stopped joking around, complains about everything...oh but she is married and she will rub that ring in your face if you ever challenge her. On the rare occasion that my BF of 4 yrs and I hang out with them, we can't survive the night without a "so when's the ring coming" comment and it drives me nuts. Neither my BF or I are ready to have kids yet, we are both going back to school and concentrating on our careers, so what is the rush? I see marriage as more of a proclamation of love and wanting to build a family with someone, not some ridiculous status symbol. There is nothing wrong with waiting until YOU are ready and until YOU find someone you can spend the rest of your life with, and that doesn't fit neatly into a time line. All the people pressuring you to get married aren't living your life, they won't suffer the hardships you will encounter, so why they have a say in anything you do is ridiculous. I think that's why divorce rates are so high; people are so ready to rush into what they think they should be doing instead of actually doing what they want to be doing. Which circles back to needing to be comfortable in your own skin before you can go about finding someone to spend your days with.

I also think technology made society SO lazy; it's like people don't know how to actually speak to each other and they can't recognize that relationships don't thrive off of text messaging and facebook comments. I also find people have gotten exceptionally disrespectful, and by that I mean cancelling plans at the last minute (as you mentioned) or not showing up at all, and I think this is because they forget there is an actual person on the other end of that text/set of plans if that makes sense. I don't remember ever having people cancel plans with me on a whim and now it happens SO often that I don't even make them with a majority of my "friends" anymore, as a lot of them just text me literally minutes before and say "sorry can't make it." We have gotten so emotionally lazy as a society and don't care about anything outside of blackberrys and dvr's.

And that's my little social commentary for the day, lol ;)

Haha, Jonezie! Don't hurt the 8th graders!! I don't have a husband and I'm going to need them in my old age!!

Hi CC,

Clearly that loser is blind and dumb- really, really dumb. You are gorgeous!! Pray and I will pray for you. You deserve much more than that and no doubt he is already on his way.

Healing hugs and prayers your way, sweetie!!

Pam

"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" as per John Lennon.

Go out and live your life and don't dwell on not having someone. Those who have someone often settle or are not as happy as you might think. Don't settle for people like Mr. Text Messenger. Think of the time you wasted feeling hurt by a jerk with the mentality of an eighth grader.

Sounds like you're wasting alot of energy on the wrong question. Stop trying to figure out why men are jerks!! The question to ask is What lucky man is worthy of you....and what cute outfit you are going to run that marathon in!!

((Hugs))

Last edited:
If I were you I would not walk but run away from this jerk. Usually people are at their best behavior at the beginning of a relationship or dating. If he is already disrespectful at that point, it can only get worse.

I made the mistake to overlook disrespectful behavior 15 years ago, ended up getting married and have two children. Things got worse, much worse and found myself in an abusive relationship (verbally and emotionally towards me and physically, verbally and emotionally towards the children). I kept taking the blame for his behavior, if I just be less combative, if just cleaned up the house better, if I just ....... It took me a long time to learn that that I am NOT responsible for his abusive and disrespectful behavior. I filed for divorce last year and should be getting my divorce decree sometime this month. But this relationship made me sick, literally. Trust me when I say it is better to have no relationship than a bad relationship.

You sound like a very nice lady! Don't let anyone treat you like this! You deserve much better than this!!!

Last edited:
I'd LOVE to hear more about the 40, 50 and 60 years-olds who are happily single. We never hear about those people. I think American culture believes they've gone to live in a shoe or something. As I said, I am 36 and very happy and content. But it seems like no matter what social circles I'm hanging out in at the time (family, friends or work acquaintances)...people always feel the need to say (with a pouty look on their face)..."Don't worry...you'll find the right guy." Ugh! What if I don't? What if we never meet the right one, never settle, and decide to be kick ass single girls. Isn't that ok?
!

I am someone in my 40's, 48 to be exact who is happily single. I have never been married and I don't live in a shoe! :p I LOVE my life!! I have nothing against marriage. I just never found anyone that I wanted to marry. Marriage does not bring happiness. No person can ever make you happy. You have to find happiness within yourself first.

Go out and enjoy your life. If it's meant to be then it will happen.

I am someone in my 40's, 48 to be exact who is happily single. I have never been married and I don't live in a shoe! :p I LOVE my life!! I have nothing against marriage. I just never found anyone that I wanted to marry. Marriage does not bring happiness. No person can ever make you happy. You have to find happiness within yourself first.

Go out and enjoy your life. If it's meant to be then it will happen.

LOL, Jane! Phewww...so good to meet another happy single woman...who doesn't live in a shoe. Will you and Carola be my dates for the wedding this weekend? How fun would that be?!? Then we can tag team the affront of "Don't worry...you'll meet someone" faces I know I'm gonna see. ;)

:)Jonezie

PS...Hi CC!!! Just wanted to say thanks for baring your soul and being so honest. It obviously connected with a lot of us. I sent you a private message, too.

Last edited:
If I were you I would not walk but run away from this jerk. Usually people are at their best behavior at the beginning of a relationship or dating. If he is already disrespectful at that point, it can only get worse.

I made the mistake to overlook disrespectful behavior 15 years ago, ended up getting married and have two children. Things got worse, much worse and found myself in an abusive relationship (verbally and emotionally towards me and physically, verbally and emotionally towards the children). I kept taking the blame for his behavior, if I just be less combative, if just cleaned up the house better, if I just ....... It took me a long time to learn that that I am NOT responsible for his abusive and disrespectful behavior. I filed for divorce last year and should be getting my divorce decree sometime this month. But this relationship made me sick, literally. Trust me when I say it is better to have no relationship than a bad relationship.

You sound like a very nice lady! Don't let anyone treat you like this! You deserve much better than this!!!

This touched me deeply on multiple levels. I am amazed that someone who seemed so strong as your fourm personna could have let yourself be manipulated. I am sad for what you and your children went through. I am impressed by how well you articulated this post. I love the last para. Very supportive and empowering.

This touched me deeply on multiple levels. I am amazed that someone who seemed so strong as your fourm personna could have let yourself be manipulated. I am sad for what you and your children went through. I am impressed by how well you articulated this post. I love the last para. Very supportive and empowering.

Thanks Vee!!!

I think that was the hardest part for me to recognize that someone who is as outspoken as I am could be an "abused" wife. And for the longest time I brushed off my friends who had recognized it long before I did. That being said, I don't think it is mutually exclusive to have strong convictions and still get emotionally abused. Not every abused woman is necessarily "weak". You'd be surprised how many sucessful and strong woman turn out to be emotionally and even physically abused and you would have never guessed.

My ex-husband has a narcissistic personality disorder which often is described as a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality. He could be very nice and charming and turn on you without notice. It made me question myself, wondering if I just imagined everything and maybe I am just too demanding, I am too combative, I am too ..... I think when you love someone you just can't imagine that s/he would intentionally try to harm you. It is so excrutiatingly painful that I think it is sometimes easier to blame yourself as the cause of his behavior than to face the truth. The problem with people with this personality disorder is that they have no empathy for anyone else. It took me a long time to wrap my head around this and realise what was actually going on.

It is not that I didn't stand up to him, on the contrary! I am not projecting a persona on this forum that I am not in real life. This is who I am! But I think emotional and verbal abuse is very complex and not easily explained in a few sentences. During the whole time I had glimpses of what was going on was not right but aside from everything that I mentioned above I was afraid to leave because how would I be able to protect the kids from him. And you just keep hoping against better judgement that somehow, sometime you will get throught to him and if you have good enough argument, you reason with him, he will see the light and everything will change.

My trial was 2 weeks ago and I am waiting for the judge's decision to come by next week. Based on everything that transpired during the trial I'd be really surprised if he would get anything else than supervised visitation but you never know, so I am whiteknuckling my way through those weeks.

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread. I just think people should really think twice about who they get involved with. If the alarms go off, don't ignore it!

Last edited:
I am 43, never married and I LOVE being single!! I LOVE having my space and my freedom. I love having control of the remote, cleaning and doing laundry when I feel like it and not because someone else wants me to. I love staying up as late as I want or going to bed early if I feel like it, and sleeping in completely undisturbed on the weekends. I believe some people are just not meant for long term monogomous relationships and that I am one of them. I decided when I was 11 years old that I never wanted to get married or have kids and I have never once felt differently...and I am perfectly content with my life.

I would never allow some guy I've just started dating to communicate with me only by text and ask for a date with a couple hours notice, that's just rude and it gives him the message that I'm ok with being treated in an off-hand manner and if he's behaving like this in the beginning, it will only get worse and I am not ok with that. I'm a pretty laid back, don't go by the rules type of gal but you have to establish some lines of what you will and will not accept when you first start dating someone...and then you can modify those lines as the relationship progresses. In this case, you are seriously better off without this jackasss. :cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.