Mom ordered to stop babysitting friends' kids!

That's nuts. The cynic in me says that the whole licensing arrangement is just some regressive tax scheme.

you know can the government figure out how we all can get on a plane with our eye drops or without having to take off our shoes and then maybe we can unleash them on child care!

more can happen to them waiting outside for the bus then waiting in the house like one of their claims state(as quoted "Lauer suggested that if one of the children were injured while in Snyder’s care, there could be legal issues, and that might be a basis for the DHS position.")

buy an umbrella?that person should be ashamed of the way they handled that one. this is the type of stuff that keeps me in need of a punching bag b/c that one got me a little riled b/c i can't imagine this woman just asking a question and getting that response without it being snooty.

is it really daycare when everybody is friends? can't it just be a big bus waiting party amongst friends? do you need a license for that too? god i hope not or a lot ppl in this neighborhood are in trouble with all the car pooling and bus waiting we have to do around together.

more important things to worry about then this woman and her "daycare". why don't they try fixing their budget and economy!

kassia

I originally wrote a longer post, but thought better of it ;)

This is absolutely INSANE!!!!! Nobody will want to help anyone else soon, because you might get in trouble for it :mad::mad:

It suddenly is illegal to be nice?!? At least it sounds like some lawmakers in MI are stepping up and even the head of the state's Dept of Health and Human services has been quoted as saying that maybe someone had jumped the gun...ya think?!?!
julie

When my son was young, my neighbor and I had this type of arrangement. Her two kids would come over at 7 and play until 8, because she had to get to work. I took them to school. She got off early enough to pick them up after school. We were neighbors, the kids were friends, it worked out beautifully. It is ridiculous for the government to say we cannot be doing this sort of thing.

Oh, and the bit about injury. I had an injury. The boys were playing out in the yard with a tennis ball and rackets. The racket slipped out of my neighbor's kids hand and flew into my kid's face. He required 10 stitches(after I got her kids to school we went in to have him stitched up). There was no issue of liability. We are neighbors, friends and it was an accident. Accidents happen, and insurance handled it.

Accidents happen at play dates when the parents are there. They cited in the article that if the parent is at home, then it is a play date, if out and about it is day care. My daughter broke her fingers on a play date(doing something she knew better to do), I was home, took care of her. If I had been at the store, the Mom would have called my cell, I would have come.

This law is just really bad.

Wow. These pin-heads would have a field day in the homeschooling world, where this kind of arrangment is SOP. One mom or dad may invite a bunch of kids over for a lesson or activity while the other parents may run errands...it's the kind of friendly helping out people do for each other in what's commonly known as a "community." You know, the place where friends help each other out in support of the common good.

Meanwhile no one can figure out how the hell to come up with some sort of national health insurance that the rest of the developed world has.........

Meanwhile no one can figure out how the hell to come up with some sort of national health insurance that the rest of the developed world has.........
Well, somebody from a government body has to look like they're doing something. I mean... seriously??? Banning waiting for the bus at a friend's house? :rolleyes: My parents would have been jailed because we also went to a friend's house after school as well as waiting for the bus with them.

And as for Matt Lauer's comment about them not having "Exit" signs... again, seriously? It is a small house. If the kids don't know where to find the door that they use to get into the house in an emergency I think they have bigger problems, don't you?

I wouldn't comply with that letter either. The state does not know what is better for those kids than the parents involved. It is utterly ridiculous and disgusting - on the governments part and the nosy, cowardly neighbor.

Melissa

Wow. These pin-heads would have a field day in the homeschooling world, where this kind of arrangment is SOP. One mom or dad may invite a bunch of kids over for a lesson or activity while the other parents may run errands...it's the kind of friendly helping out people do for each other in what's commonly known as a "community." You know, the place where friends help each other out in support of the common good.
I just hope that nobody from the state is reading this!!! :p
Seriously though, in their eyes it can't be people helping people because that can't possibly work, it has to be the great government helping people because they really know what's best and we need them to protect us and our little ones. Give me a freakin' break. :mad:

I had to delete most of what I wrote, this whole incident has REALLY made me angry.

Melissa

I wonder if any of the people making an issue of this have ever left their kids with someone while they went to work or out for dinner...

I just hope that nobody from the state is reading this!!! :p
Seriously though, in their eyes it can't be people helping people because that can't possibly work, it has to be the great government helping people because they really know what's best and we need them to protect us and our little ones. Give me a freakin' break. :mad:

I had to delete most of what I wrote, this whole incident has REALLY made me angry.

Melissa

I had to delete most of what I wrote too! I didn't want to open a big 'ol can of worms regarding big government and how they need to keep busy and look important :confused::rolleyes:

Glad I am not alone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.