How do you afford free range?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I want to buy free range. I really do. But the only chicken I could find at my market was a split breast for $15. :eek::eek::eek: Are these people for real? A regular chicken split breast is like $3! A whole chicken is only $7-9!

Now clearly the poultry business is, well, a business, but don't these people supposedly believe in what they're trying to sell? I'm pretty sure they're making some serious profit here. If there was any altruism involved at all, wouldn't they cut back on their profits a bit to make it more affordable?

I'm really annoyed by this. I eat an awful lot of chicken, & there's no way I can afford free range if this is what I have to pay. Where does everyone else buy it? I already have to stop at 2 grocery stores a week, do I have to add a 3rd? :mad:

This has always been my issue w/free range & organics (well, more so w/free range, I have some other issues w/organics). This stuff'll never catch on until it becomes affordable. :confused:

Laura, do you have a Trader Joe's around? Check there. Also, try your farmer's market on the weekend. I've bought entire roasting chickens for that price!

Also be careful what companies you are buying free range from. Sometimes they really aren't! The hens will have 15 minutes of fresh air a week and they call that "free range."

HTH.

No TJ's. No farmer's market (we have one on Wednesdays, but per our health laws they're not allowed to sell meat). :( I scoured my gourmet store (supposedly our version of TJs) & found nothing. In fact, their meat section is so sparse it's pathetic. I can't even get a steak without ordering it from the butcher's counter. The $15 chicken breast was at a King's, which is basically a regular market, only better. ;)

I have a Whole Foods nearby--it's a PIA to get to, but I suppose I'm willing to add it on to my weekly schedule. Anyone know if they carry it and, if so, whether they're really free range (yes, you threw another monkey wrench at me w/that Sparrow :p)?

I buy Bell and Evans and Whole Foods does carry it but you might want to call them ahead of time and they can quote you a per lb. price so you have an idea. My local grocery store carries this brand as well and the prices are actually reasonable comparatively speaking. They taste really good and you don't get that *ahem* smell you do when cooking regular chicken. Do you know the smell I'm referring to? :p

Bam

I buy Bell and Evans and Whole Foods does carry it but you might want to call them ahead of time and they can quote you a per lb. price so you have an idea. My local grocery store carries this brand as well and the prices are actually reasonable comparatively speaking. They taste really good and you don't get that *ahem* smell you do when cooking regular chicken. Do you know the smell I'm referring to? :p

Bam

No! I love the smell of my house when I'm roasting chicken. It reminds me of my Nana. :)

Thanks for the Bell & Evans rec. I'll check it out.

Whole Foods might end up being your best bet. I can't speak to whether any of it is really free range and as cruelty-free, drug-free as possible, but I think the founder of WF really does care about stuff like this and does his best to make sure his stores offer quality products. Mine is a pain distance-wise too, but I've made peace with it. (Still hoping one opens up closer to me!)

I can't afford it either so I understand your frustration.

Conventional chickens are fattened up with corn and pumped full of water and not to mention the gov't subsidies that these manufacturers get - that's why they are so cheap. It's these guys that are making a lot of profit.

Make sure you look for organic or grass fed. Anything labeled just free range or all natural doesn't mean much. The other suggestions from the other posters are good as well.

Also, these farmers can't make the chickens cheaper until demand goes up and their costs come down.

I can't afford it either so I understand your frustration.

Conventional chickens are fattened up with corn and pumped full of water and not to mention the gov't subsidies that these manufacturers get - that's why they are so cheap. It's these guys that are making a lot of profit.

Make sure you look for organic or grass fed. Anything labeled just free range or all natural doesn't mean much. The other suggestions from the other posters are good as well.

Also, these farmers can't make the chickens cheaper until demand goes up and their costs come down.

Well, I'm still not convinced their overhead is 5X what Purdue's is. :mad: And their demand won't go up until the middle class such as myself can afford it. So I guess it's a vicious circle.

The cruelty-free is what I'm most concerned about. The other stuff not so much. ;)

Laura,

I buy mine from a farmer that delivers to my area. We have to order ahead and there is a pre-arranged pick up point. There are several that deliver to my area once a week. I found several farms at www.localharvest.org, and others through an organic farm market they have during the summer. The chickens are whole, and come frozen so I can buy a few at a time. They run about 4.50-4.90/lb, so a chicken costs me about $18.00. Still pricy, but so worth it. I save anything left from the chicken, freeze that, and make soup out of it when I get a chance.

HTH :eek:

Last edited:
That's very helpful, thanks Melissa! I can handle $18 for a whole chicken! Now if only I can open that website.....grrrrrrr.......internet acting up today.......

No! I love the smell of my house when I'm roasting chicken. It reminds me of my Nana. :)

Thanks for the Bell & Evans rec. I'll check it out.

Oh, I'm not talking about the nice savory smell of the roasting chicken. I'm talking about another smell. Sometimes we boil chicken legs and there's a HUGE difference between boiling regular chicken and free range, antibiotic free chicken. There's an entire other smell perhaps only observed when boiling. Believe me.......it ain't pretty! :eek:

Bam

Oh, I'm not talking about the nice savory smell of the roasting chicken. I'm talking about another smell. Sometimes we boil chicken legs and there's a HUGE difference between boiling regular chicken and free range, antibiotic free chicken. There's an entire other smell perhaps only observed when boiling. Believe me.......it ain't pretty! :eek:

Bam

The antibiotic stank! I know it well...:p

That's very helpful, thanks Melissa! I can handle $18 for a whole chicken! Now if only I can open that website.....grrrrrrr.......internet acting up today.......

Wait, I'm confused. You can handle $18.00 for a chicken? that's no where near Purdue prices. Your post sounded like you were on a budget or something. Most Americans only spend that much on a bird for Thanksgiving.

Now don't take that comment the wrong way, If I had the money I'd be getting all my meats from the farmer's market in my city and pay the higher price. Right now I just get my dairy and some fruits and veggies from them - it really is worth it.

Wait, I'm confused. You can handle $18.00 for a chicken? that's no where near Purdue prices. Your post sounded like you were on a budget or something. Most Americans only spend that much on a bird for Thanksgiving.

Now don't take that comment the wrong way, If I had the money I'd be getting all my meats from the farmer's market in my city and pay the higher price. Right now I just get my dairy and some fruits and veggies from them - it really is worth it.

Sure, I might be willing to spend 2X as much on a chicken, depending on the size, rather than 5X as much. If I can spend $18 for 4-5 meals, as opposed to the $15 for the split breast, which is maybe one meal & some leftovers for a salad, then I could be convinced.

Of course I'm on a budget. Who isn't these days? :confused: I don't consider myself poor, but I can't just spend money indiscriminately either.

Tofu prices are remaining steady at $3-6 per package! And tempeh can be had for $3.49 at Whole Foods (equals about 2 meals). :D

Sorry if I seem to be vegangelizing (I'm not, really), I just couldn't resist.

Okay, PLEASE don't flame for me this, although I know this will sound inflammatory and intolerant. This is how I really feel, and I'm not trying to put anyone down for eating meat. I understand how expensive food is nowadays; my food bill has skyrocketed too. That being said:

I hate to say it, but these chickens give their lives. Most of the time they are only allowed to live for a few months before they are slaughtered. Each creature on this planet only gets one life, including us. All lives are equal. I sure hope that my body would go for a lot more on the market than $15 for one of my breasts.

I'm not sure I'm getting your point. Are you advocating I stop eating meat (not gonna happen), or that spending $15 on a part of a single meal is OK (not gonna happen either)? Or none of the above?

Laura,
I've often wondered why free-range and organic products aren't more affordable. I thought about 2 years ago when I strated buying them that within a couple years they would drop in price due to the fact that people would want to buy the more healthy option but if anything has happened, it has gotten more expensive. I haven't bought free-range or organic in some time. Even my eggs are just cage-free, not free range because I REFUSE to pay $3 for a dozen eggs.

I'm not sure I'm getting your point. Are you advocating I stop eating meat (not gonna happen), or that spending $15 on a part of a single meal is OK (not gonna happen either)? Or none of the above?

I'm just saying that put into perspective, $15 for a life isn't too expensive.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.