to fellow vegans

I admire Cathe very much, and don't think I've attacked or ridiculed her. At least, I wouldn't want to ever do that. I am disappointed in this decision and felt it was appropriate to say so. It's important to me to be true to myself in regards to this issue.

Amy

Point taken, Amy. :)

Things only got more "mean spirited" when others decided to post disrespectful comments towards vegans (who this thread was made for) and others who questioned this association.

Amy

There have also been snarky comments about those who partake in animal products (not by you Amy) that are not appreciated as well. Frankly, I like most vegans, at least those who know how to cook :p, knowing they are unlikley to show up at my house for some "dead animal" meals (although I do make a popular chickpea sweet potato curry dish of vegan persuasion). ;)

Wendy, I get what you are saying. I don't think anyone was looking to ridicule Cathe though. I too will most likely not purchase any more but that does not mean I have lost respect for Cathe and her superior knowledge of fitness. I will always be grateful to Cathe for introducing me to fantastically challenging workouts and letting me see that women too, can lift heavy. I will absolutely continue to recommend her to other women. I totally respect her right to run her life and business as she sees fits. It just so happens that I don't care to support Eggland's Best in any form, and that is where I get off the Cathe path. With no bitter feelings, I might add.

Sparrow

I hear ya.

So I must ask....In light of all of this, will you continue to post here?? Just curious. I'd hate to see you (as well as others) go....

Last edited:
Point taken, Amy. :)

Thanks, Wendy! :)

There have also been snarky comments about those who partake in animal products (not by you Amy) that are not appreciated as well. Frankly, I like most vegans, at least those who know how to cook :p, knowing they are unlikley to show up at my house for some "dead animal" meals (although I do make a popular chickpea sweet potato curry dish of vegan persuasion). ;)

I see your point Beavs. Maybe what I wanted to say was "but they started it!" That's not immature right? :)

Vegan chickpea sweet potato curry? Uh, recipe please?

Amy

I certainly was NOT referring to a discussion of vegan ethics as mean-spirited. I was simply referring to the fact that I feel that perhaps the OP's concerns would have been better off being aired in a private email to SNM/Cathe or in another fitness/nutrtion forum. Anywhere other then THIS forum. I just don't think this was the place for it. To me, it just came across as ridiculing and judgmental of Cathe.

Vegans/vegetarians don't want to be ridiculed/attacked for their beliefs (and I agree that they shouldn't be) but then what makes it okay to ridicule Cathe this way???

Again, I mean no disrespect to ANYONE here. Just airing my feelings/thoughts like everyone else has been doing....:)

Wow I didn't expect to see this! As the posters that have defended me have said (and thank you by the way) I really just was interested in the opinion of like minded women. The smart insightful women that come to THIS board. I know the reaction I would get if I posted this on a vegan board. I just wondered how Cathe followers feel!

I have never said OK all you vegans boycott Cathe. I never have said I will no longer buy her products. There are alot of things I struggle with day in and day out with trying to stay on the cruelty free path that I am on. Believe me it is much easier to just look the other way! I did that for a long time and decided I now have to stand up for what I believe in. I posted this in the open discussion area because that is just what it is, open discussion.

I have learned alot from this thread. Thank-you Kathryn for opening my eyes to the wool abuses, I had no idea. And I even have a new dog food to try! And not to mention maybe a new mineral cosmetic that can save me money over bare minerals!

I can go to veg/vegan boards anytime to get advice but I have really appreciated the advice I have gotten here. This board is awesome since so many of us are the same age range and have alot of the same goals. I'm hoping I can post advice from fellow veggies/vegans on this board without problem just like I would any other question in the open discussion forum! I don't post alot on this forum but have been a part of it for a long time I certainly didn't know one of my posts would get so large...go figure! :p

So I will end saying thanks to everyone that has given such good advice and things to think about as we live our daily lives. You "chicks" (sorry ha ha) ROCK!!!

Shellie

Oh and Beavs I hope you would like me as a vegan....I never make others uncomfortable at dinner parties etc. I have learned to eat alot of sides..and that's ok! I even go to steak houses with my husband. You would be amazed what you can piece together with salad side etc! Believe me I love to eat and I will figure something out!!

also my join date is new but I was around on the old board as shel4kids. I couldn't figure the whole thing out when the board moved so I just started over!!

Oh and Beavs I hope you would like me as a vegan....I never make others uncomfortable at dinner parties etc. I have learned to eat alot of sides..and that's ok! I even go to steak houses with my husband. You would be amazed what you can piece together with salad side etc! Believe me I love to eat and I will figure something out!!

Of course I would! I often feel sorry for vegans and vegetarians when it come to dining out. Pasta primavera smothered in cheese gets old...quick. And vegan? What's that?! That's why I like Middle Eastern food...so much variety to suite every taste.

Wow I didn't expect to see this! As the posters that have defended me have said (and thank you by the way) I really just was interested in the opinion of like minded women.

So what you are saying is that you didn't want those who didn't agree with your way of thinking to post in this thread? That's a wee bit unrealistic, don't you think??

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here and apologize if it happened inadvertently. I have my opinion though and have just as much right to post it as anyone. It's not even an opinion on veganism directly so I really don't see what the big deal is.

I must also add that I find it funny how the only folks who got any guff in this whole thread were the few meat eaters in the crowd. The rest said anything they wanted and it was okay....

Beavs, I LOVE eating out in the United States. I find it hard to find vegetarian/vegan food in some parts of the far east / Europe but the parts of USA that I have visited are divine for food.

Some of my favorite things to eat at popular chains:
Baja Fresh - a bare burrito without cheese and sour cream. I top on extra salsa, some gaucamole and lots of cilantro.
Fresh Choice - I love a mile-high self assembled salad with chick peas, sweet corn, nuts, fruit, veggies and tofu fighting for dominance over lettuce and spinach
P F Changs - So many yummy vegan choices. Their lettuce wraps are wow
Any Thai place - Vegan bliss - so many options usually.
Olive Garden - Vegetarian Minestrone and the salad with low fat italian dressing

If I go to a steak place because I am with someone, I get a baked potato and top it with mustard and fresh ground pepper and a side of salad. I could eat a baked potato happily every day.

I must also add that I find it funny how the only folks who got any guff in this whole thread were the few meat eaters in the crowd. The rest said anything they wanted and it was okay....

Wendy, I understand what you are saying but I disagree with some of it. I don't want to tell people what to eat, I would hope that people look into any information they get and then make their decisions. Whatever their decision, I may not agree with it but it's fine by me.

Personally, I got a little annoyed (well, it's maybe too strong a word, but you I hope you know what I mean) hearing that those of us who are vegan, almost vegan or vegetarian are doing this for reasons that it is fashionable. I found this quite dismissive and I was a little insulted by it.

I probably wouldn't boycott Cathe's products based on her affiliation with Eggland's Best. It is her (business) decision and I have no real say in that. But I think everyone has the right to voice an opinion or raise a concern about that. If I were Cathe and I'd be losing customers over this I'd rather know instead of people just walking away. What Cathe does with those opinions is again her choice but as a business I would want to know. I am not sure why it is such a big deal to have this discussed on the forum?

I got a little annoyed (well, it's maybe too strong a word, but you I hope you know what I mean) hearing that those of us who are vegan, almost vegan or vegetarian are doing this for reasons that it is fashionable.

And fashion usually doesn't last as long as I've been a vegetarian (33+ years) or a vegan (17ish years)!;) (If it did, I could still wear the clothes I wore in high school in 1975...what a money saver!)

fit mommy I was surprised to see that you thought I shouldn't have posted it in the first place. That was what I was surprised at. I don't care if you agree with me on veganism or not. That is what I meant by if I posted on a vegan board of course eveyone would agree. I wanted actual opinions, and I got them!

I am rescpectful of how anyone eats. As I said earlier my husband and kids all eat meat. My daughter and I do not. I cook for all of them, I do not impose my thoughts on them. (although I do wish they would change!:))

With that said I just wanted to say I didn't start this thread to champion veganism that is why I was surprised you got in a huff saying the post shouldn't be on the forum or that the OP, me, was implying things about Cathe that I did not. Also everyone on this thread that has been respectful has been treated the same way back. That is what has been so great about it that we can give different opinions and respect eachother for it!

Carola,

My original post was not meant as an insult to vegans in any way shape or form. I have no issue there. I actually admire both vegans and vegetarians for how they eat/live even though I will honestly never follow suit.

I totally understand the POV of wanting Cathe to know how you feel as customers but again, I just thought that in this particular case, it may have been better off expressed to her in a private setting. That's all. I'm not flaming the OP for her opinion nor anyone else. As I stated in my original post...to each his own. :)

fit mommy I was surprised to see that you thought I shouldn't have posted it in the first place. That was what I was surprised at. I don't care if you agree with me on veganism or not. That is what I meant by if I posted on a vegan board of course eveyone would agree. I wanted actual opinions, and I got them!

I am rescpectful of how anyone eats. As I said earlier my husband and kids all eat meat. My daughter and I do not. I cook for all of them, I do not impose my thoughts on them. (although I do wish they would change!:))

With that said I just wanted to say I didn't start this thread to champion veganism that is why I was surprised you got in a huff saying the post shouldn't be on the forum or that the OP, me, was implying things about Cathe that I did not. Also everyone on this thread that has been respectful has been treated the same way back. That is what has been so great about it that we can give different opinions and respect eachother for it!

I was not "in a huff". I was simply stating my opinion like every other person in this thread. This type of reaction is why I was hesitant to post in the first place. No hard feelings and I'll be moving along now...:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.