STS check in Disc 9

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
On your mark, get set, POST! I'll be doing this workout late morning early afternoon again. Be back when I'm done....Good Luck Everyone!

Hi Cathe and Everyone!
I did Disc 9 today. Besides loving this series, I love these leg workouts! The biggest challenge for me today was the double leg hamstring work with the paper plates in the bonus section! Oh my! I did these sort of...I'm feeling tight tonight. I'm diong much better with the paper plates in general, and I'm much better with the wall squats! I got all the way down with my dumb bells on about 4 of the reps where I was having to put my dumb bells on end before. Progress is definitely being made! I'm doing the 6 month rotation so I'll be doing this weeks set again next week.

I'm really loving this series Cathe - thank you from my hurting butt! :D

Jo :D:D

STS Disc 9 Check-in

Cathe:

Thanks for starting this check-in! I have been waiting for this thread so I can check-in and wrap up this day. I am super tired again. I experienced STS Disc 9 for the first time this morning, and it was not intimidating like I expected it to be after seeing the workout card. I almost fell out of my chair when I printed the workout card last night and saw a one-leg sliding move in the warm-up! I am delighted to share that the one-leg sit and slide in the warm-up is fun and not as challenging as the one-leg sit and stand in STS Disc 6. I enjoyed the plie squats alternating the weight from hand to hand too. Going all the way down to the floor is much more challenging than the 4-Day Split version! I have a feeling that my inner thighs will be talking to me in the morning! I love this workout from the squat lunge sequence in the warm-up to the final one-leg deadlifts. I am saving the bonus burn for next week. I missed my beloved firewalkers! I love firewalkers and walking lunges! I am glad you included side lunges onto the high step and 45 degree lunges for me to enjoy instead!

I am very pleased with the variety in this series. Each workout feels like a whole new workout instead of a premix. Thank you for the Cathe TV form pointers too. Because I was tired this morning and not able to go all the way down to the floor with good form during the one-leg slide back lunges, I substituted one of the intermediate modifications you demonstrated and held my weights the whole time.

I am so glad Daylight Savings Time is just around the bend! Spring is my favorite season of the year, and I feel so alive and free when the bluebonnets are in full bloom. I am looking forward to giving this workout my all next week when I hopefully have more energy. It is time for a warm bubble bath and a restful night of sleep. I am looking forward to my Friday rest day.

Have a blessed weekend! You will be leaving me behind next week, and I will miss checking in with you. I will be reading your updates for inspiration as you move forward to the “eat your veggies” mesocycles. LOL! Have fun! Hugs! :)

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Hi Cathe,

I have just discovered how much I love circuit training workouts (I love heavy weight lifting too). I have STS, but haven't started it yet. Is there any place for adding in a circuit training workout into an STS rotation, other than maybe the rest week? For instance, could a circuit training workout with light weights be used as a cardio day, or are there other ways to incorporate it?

Would this be a reasonable week's rotation?:

Monday: STS
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: Circuit training
Thursday: STS
Friday: Cardio
Saturday: STS
Sunday: Cardio or rest

Thanks so much!!!

Cathe,

I found some problems (pixalating) with disc #9 and so did a few people over at VF (videofitness). Hubby and I are in week 5 of our 6 month rotation and I don't want to send back all of Meso 1 for this disc issue. Any ideas?

Onto the workout, I loved it! The addition of the weighted plie work still has my inner thighs screaming! (and I did the workout Wednesday night :D) For some reason, thus far week 3 has the best sequences in my personal opinion. I'm loving my results! If you haven't seen my other post, in 4 weeks time I've lost 6 inches all due to STS! Plus my upper body definition, especially in the upper back region, is looking great! Hubby was truly disappointed we missed the road trip! He wanted to meet you! :)

Thanks for making such a wonderful product! (as always)

Denise

disc 9

Hi all,

This will be my last disc to check in on because I'm on the 6 month rotation:(

I am loving the leg workouts:D Due to some past injuries (2 herniated discs 2 years ago), I'm not able to go quite to failure, but it's close. The leg workouts are so comprehensive that I'm really feeling quite good in the lower body and back. Anyway, since I'm a little light on my weights, I've been doing an extra day of plyo each week. That seems to be working very nicely. I'm wondering, do you have any other suggestions or should I just keep plugging along as is?

Tracy

Just finished Disc 9 (no problem with pixalating) and can't say I enjoyed it but it got the job done. I really thought I would be doing some sort of lunges forever! I am still having paper plate problems (I am on berber carpet, have tried furniture sliders also) so have to make some adjustments and substitutions. The bonus segment was great. I love it and actually could do all the paper plate work on the mat including the double leg slide outs. I am really enjoying STS. Cathe I really think you outdid yourself on this series. What could you possibly do for an encore?!

Cathe- I did this workout last week. Just wanted to say it kicked my butt into the following week. After 30 minutes into this workout I was so fatigued, I didn't think I would be able to get up during lunges. It wasn't a burn I was feeling at this point, it was 'Oh crap, I don't think I'll be able to stand up once I go down!' feeling! :confused: This workout I finally got the sliders down so I was able to go down far enough to put the weight down. Same with the wall squats. I also decided it would be 'fun' ;) to add the vest while doing squats. I was sore for 4 days. That same night, a guy in one of my classes asked why I was walking down the stairs like I was pregnant! (just slightly embarrassing-:eek:)

While yes I was way too sore- I think this was my favorite disc so far. I love love love this series. I truly look foward to each workout.

Thanks chrissy

I'm doing the legs 2x a week since I can't use much weight due to knee issues :mad:. I have to modify a lot but I get the job done :p

I missed the firewalkers, love the paper plate exercises, and I love the bonuses at the end. I skip some of the lunges because my knees don't like them - a few are OK. These darn knees!! I want to trade them in for a newer version.

I do what works for me and I'm loving the leg series. I am seeing definition and I'm :D with that!!! I am loving, loving, loving STS so far!!!

Congratulations, Cathe, you have finally done what I thought was no longer possible: turned my quads to jelly. I did Disc 9 yesterday morning, and had jelly legs when I walked up the basement steps. The last time I felt that was way back in the day when Meaner Legs was new to me. My right quad, today, is full of DOMS from hip to knee. My left quad only has it near the knee. I think I was able to lunge deeper with the right leg because my left hamstring is tighter than the right, preventing me from lunging as deep.

I also did IMAX the day before, and taught a total body resistance training class...(enough said).

I found this workout to be quite friendly until about the half way mark, then you seemed to sock it to us. I liked the one-leg sit 'n slide at the start, and wonder if it would be an acceptable substitute move for people who find the one-leg sit 'n stand impossible?

In the first two weeks, I found the ball wall squats to be an intense but doable move. In Disc 9, you've placed them near the end, and my quads were obviously tired, because this week I found them to be brutal! LOL! I made it through all 8 reps, but was counting to 8 faster than you were!

Thanks to your CatheTV segment on how to do the paper plate lunges, I think my form improved on those. I really focused on keeping my upper body from leaning too far forward, and to maintain as upright a posture as possible when I slid my foot back in. I found them tougher than in weeks 1 & 2, even though my db weight was the same, so I think that's good.

I hope your lower body workout goes well today!
Cheers,
Sandra

Cathe,

I started STS two weeks before you did. I decided to do weeks three and four over to be going along with you.

I have a question. When doing the bonus burn with the plates, I did fine up until we did the out and in move. My calves were totally on fire, as in totally cramped. I must confess I did better this time than the last tiem I did the workout. I have really strong calves, too.

Is it normal to feel it so much in the calves?

Just to add, this STS is an answer to prayers! I am absolutely loving it. This is why I am staying with Meso 1 a bit longer.

Cheryl

Cathe - I must tell you that STS has done an amazing thing for me :). I have had problems with my hip flexors for years. They get sore/tight to the point that I can barely walk. However, with STS, the only time my hip flexors have hurt is after the weekly kickboxing workout. I don't know if it's because I feel I'm using my quads more now or because of having fewer lunges, etc. But whatever it is, I'm loving it :D.

Having said that, I did modify the wall squats to no weights. I found my form to be much better & felt it in the quads a lot more since I could hold them at a lower level. I am also not sliding my leg straight back on the paper plate lunges - keeping a bent knee in back as well as not going down too far (I just hold the weights the whole time) helped me feel more in control. But even with modifications here and there, I still felt the burn ;)!

Did disc 9 on Tuesday, continuing with my consecutive days, but alternating upper body workouts.
Seriously, these leg workouts, while enjoyable, are definitely getting harder :) I could barely finish the paper plate lunges this go around.
Similar to disc 8, I felt like there was a prominent exercise in this disc = dead lifts (though not as much as the pushups). Maybe if I don't want to do something I feel like it stands out more :) Although typically I enjoy deadlifts.
The burners at the end were very challenging - I could barely lift my legs during the ankle weights section, but somehow I trudged through. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the plate work.
Question for Cathe - is it best to keep your heels up when doing this plate work? I noticed some of you did in the dvd and some of you had flat foot on the plate. Should I alternate heels up if I am feeling strong and flat foot if I want an easier day?

Done with Disc 9. The One Leg Slide back lunges with paper plate is just brutal. :mad: I was doing excellent until this one. I am getting wrinkes on my face by grunting and screaming too much. DH looked at me and trying to see who pissed me off.:eek: :eek:.

Why, Why, Why do I live in a two-story house on a day of completing Disc 9 Legs following yesterdays Kick Max?!?:p

I thoroughly enjoyed this workout. Legs used to scare me the most. Obviously my endurance had increased tremendously...woo hoo! Wall squats are my fav. Was looking forward to firewalkers...hope to see them again. I found the CatheTv tips SO helpful especially during the one leg slide back lunge w paper plate...(thank you)

Question: Seems like you suggest using a light weight on some exercises when my card calls for a heavy one. I hear you say "you don't have to go too heavy". Should I try to stick to what my card says or maybe take it down a notch?

Also, thanks for the bonus...that was so much fun.

I did Disc 9 this morning and loved it but then leg day has always been my favorite day. These workouts just keep getting better. I wore my Cathe weighted vest which was a great investment. The paper plate moves for hamstrings and glutes were a challenge but I LOVE a challenge. I have to tell you that my DH saw the paper plates in my workout room and asked what I was doing with them. He looked at me like he thinks I'm having a picnic instead of working out like I'm always telling him that I'm doing!! Oh, little does he know that it's no picnic using those to work out!!

Have a good day and a good weekend everyone.

Hi Cathe,

I've been following along just haven't posted here yet. I love the legs workouts. The wide stance deadlift and the paper plate slide side lunge are great! I feel it in my inner thighs. Yippee!!

One question. I just purchased your non latex bands at my local Olympia sports store. My old one broke in two places on Wed. What kind of care do these new bands need? I use to put baby powder on my old one to keep it from getting stickey.

I am loving STS.:D

Question on holding dumbells during squats or lunges

I'm finding that in order to keep up with the weight increase as the workouts progress, I have to modify how I hold the weights. For example, I'm holding the dumbbells on my shoulders for squats and lunges. Although if feel more of a downward pull and it's harder to get back up when I hold the weights down like you do in the video. Am I compromising building endurance by changing how I hold the weight?

Thanks again for another great workout, and more thanks to you because I have been feeling great all over since I started STS.

Hi Everyone!

Did this on Thursday evening. I found that exercises that repeated from Disc 3 & 6 were easier for me in Disc 9, but the new exericses--whoa! I can see how you can never get cocky with STS--the new exercises added each week keep you challenged. The deadlifts in this workout really worked me hard as well--at one point I thought this should be renamed "Legs & lower back" :) But overall, it was great! I'm seeing results--legs feel more toned & again each week, certain exercises become less challenging.
My legs were fried by the end, though. I tried to do bonus legs, but just couldn't defy gravity after the the leg lifts with ankle weights. My hips just refused to move for the hamstring & glute work!

Cathe, I really love STS! It's so nice to be doing STS with you. Thanks for the time you take to share your STS experience as well as all the valuable info you provide on Cathe TV. I'm loving it! It's amazing that there is only 1 week left in Meso 1--the first 3 wks have flown by so quickly. Looking foward to week 4! :)

Disk 9 Legs

Disk 9 was, dare I say, enjoyable! :D After and during last week's legs, I was exhausted and barely got through. I have felt so much stronger in general this week with all the workouts. But for me to get through legs and walk away, well, walking, is a major accomplishment for me. I added weights to the side and back lunges with plates this week too which was impossible last time around. My favorite has to be the one-legged deadlift. Really felt those. ;) Thanks for a great program!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.