STS 3 months versus 6 months

Silvercat

Hi Cathe, I read in one of the posts that STS was originally to be done as a 6-month program instead of a 3-month program and I just want to make sure that is correct. I couldn't find the link for the entire discussion which is why I'm asking, so I apologize if this is a repeat question for you. If your recommendation is really to do STS for 6 months instead of 3 then I certainly would prefer to do it that way. I plan on still working out after the 3 months anyway! If 6 months is truly what you recommend, then I guess what I would need clarification on is how to stretch it to the 6 months. Would I do every DVD two days in a row or do one week's worth and then start the week for the second time or would I do a whole month's worth then start the month over again? As I stated, I apologize if this has already been addressed, I just want to be clear and make sure I get the most out of this program. Looking forward to starting. Thanks for all your hard work, Gwen

Would I do every DVD two days in a row or do one week's worth and then start the week for the second time or would I do a whole month's worth then start the month over again?

Hi Gwen, not Cathe here. I don't remember where the discussion is, but Cathe did say she prefers it as a 6 month program, where you do 2 weeks of each DVD instead of 1 or as you said, one week's worth and then repeat that again the next week.

I wonder if that means

Do dvd 1. then dvd 2. then dvd 3.
Then in wk 2, do it again or does she mean do it like this

dvd 1
dvd 1
dvd 2
dvd 2

Which way?

Hi Gwen, not Cathe here. I don't remember where the discussion is, but Cathe did say she prefers it as a 6 month program, where you do 2 weeks of each DVD instead of 1 or as you said, one week's worth and then repeat that again the next week.
I don't recall her saying she 'prefers' it as a 6-month program (but I could be wrong), but more than you CAN do it as a 6-month program, repeating each weak as you go along (it wouldn't make sense to do workout 1 twice before going on to workout 2, as it wouldn't allow for sufficient rest of the muscles used in workout 1).

You can also do it as designed (a 3-month program), then take a break for a week or two, then repeat the program.

Or, I would add, after the initial 3-month rotation, pick-and-choose the mesocycle that you do at any particular time.

Or mix it up even more, and do week 1 from Meso 1, then week 1 from Meso 2, then week 1 From Meso 3, etc.

Here's what Cathe says re: STS 6 months!

Hi girls! Funny that this thread has started now. Here's what Cathe said just this week, coincidentally, in a "come chat if you're around" thread, about using STS as a 6-month program. The question she was answering is first and her answer is below. HTH! :)

Originally Posted by zellybelly
Little nervous about doing ALL the new STS workouts. I am a "routine person" (i.e. a nerdy accountant) and I like knowing, ok here is the break where I need to add another riser or I am doing this DVD today make sure the step is point this way etc. Any suggestions on how to tackle all the new workouts? Honestly I like the idea of the 6 month rotation (doing each one twice) to feel familiar with the workouts.

Thanks!

Cathe said:

You are too cute Zellybelly! I think you would actually do great on the 6 month plan by doing each of the weekly DVD's for two weeks in a row instead of just for one week. That's actually how I prefer it but I know the sound of 6 months sounds way too long for many. Go for it!
:)

I believe I read the same thing Erin mentioned ~ Cathe prefers the 6 month version. (I found that conversation a few days ago while searching the STS forum, but I'd have to go digging again to get the link.)

I think the idea was:

Week 1
Week 1 again

Week 2
Week 2 again

and so on...

Perhaps Cathe will chime in. :)

Edited to add: Another Kathy straightened us out. Thanks!

I'm hoping to hear Cathe's take on this as well. Personally, I am seriously considering doing it as a 6 month rotation by repeating weeks. Doing week 1, repeat week 1. Move onto week 2, repeat week 2. ETC.

I'd love to hear her take on this, but as somebody else mentioned, there are tons of ways to use this program, and I'm sure we'll hear all about them as time goes on.

Gayle

If one does a 6-month rotation with STS (week 1, week 1, week 2, week 2), should the recovery weeks still be every 4 weeks or every 8 weeks?

April

Great question, April. I hope we hear an answer soon, as I plan on doing a six month rotation with STS!!

Oh wow, six months sounds fun! (No sarcasm, I swear.) I have convinced DH to do the program with me (so we have something else to discuss other than our wee people) but I don't know if I could convince him to do a six month workout program. I guess I'll stick with three months. Le sigh. What I do for love. :)

Now I'm also wondering about the six month rotation. I hadn't thought of doing each week twice in a row, was thinking of doing the whole three-month cycle and then repeating it. Not sure which is better though...also hoping Cathe weighs in :)

Thanks!
Jolene

The one that is better is always the one that you, as an individual, will stick with. You know yourself. Do you have immense patience and like following orders/instructions, being told what to do? The do a 6 month. Or are you restless, get bored easily, not enamoured of taking orders from anyone? If so, limit yourself to the 3 month because any more could lead to failure to persist!

Personally, since I know myself, I shall be starting out with just the 3 months, thanks.....

As to the rest weeks/recovery weeks, I think if you double up and do the 6 month program, then it makes sense to take recovery weeks every 8 weeks rather than every 4.

Clare

IMHO, I didn't read Cathe's response to ZellyBelly as she prefered the 6 month rotation, only that if you WERE going to do it as a 6 month program that she 'prefer' that the progression be week 1, repeat, week 2, repeat... etc rather than workout 1, repeat, workout 2 repeat, as like others have said above, doing these workouts back to back would not provide for the appropriate recovery... I could be totally way off base, but I believe that her original recommendation was to do the complete 3 month system as is, wait a week or two and then start over again, and re-evaluate your weight selection...

But again, this is just how I read her comment... Would love to see how Cathe and/or SNM will respond as well :)

ETA: maybe post this in the STS forum and SNM might respond a bit quicker... they seem to be keeping an eagle eye on the STS forum for questions lately :)

Last edited:
Hi Silvercat and Everyone!

Yes, it is true that I originally intended STS to be a 6 month rotation but after realizing that most people wouldn't be able to commit to something that long I changed it to 3 months. But I do recommend the 6 month plan most especially if you are new to weight training, or don't currently weight train more than 2 times per week. That being said, if you want to do it as a 6 month rotation feel free to. You might even want to do it as a 5 month plan, as Mesocycle 3 is pretty straightforward and doesn't fluctuate the way the others do.

So if you were going to do the 5 or 6 month plan, here is what to do:

Mesocycle One:
All of week one from Mesocycle One and repeat week one
All of week two from Mesocycle One and repeat week two
All of week three from Mesocycle One and repeat week three
All of week four from Mesocycle One and repeat week four

Take one week off after you have completed these 8 weeks of Meso One.

If for some reason you feel fatigue sooner, or have unexpected schedule change or have gotten sick, etc, then take off a few days accordingly but get right back on the program.

Mesocycle Two:
All of week one from Mesocycle Two and repeat week one
All of week two from Mesocycle Two and repeat week two
All of week three from Mesocycle Two and repeat week three
All of week four from Mesocycle Two and repeat week four

Take one week off after you have completed these 8 weeks of Meso Two.

If for some reason you feel fatigue sooner, or have unexpected schedule change or have gotten sick, etc, then take off a few days accordingly but get right back on the program.

Mesocycle Three: optional to do 4 weeks or 8 weeks of this mesocycle

All of week one from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week one optional)
All of week two from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week two optional)
All of week three from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week three optional)
All of week four from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week four optional)

Take one week off after you have completed these 4 or 8 weeks of Meso Three.

Congratulations....You are done :eek: :D:D:D

Repeat again if desired (only as 3 month rotation if you did 5 or 6 months previously, since now you are acclimated to the workouts)....or feel free to do other rotations/workouts and pick up STS down the road again.

Hi Cathe, I read in one of the posts that STS was originally to be done as a 6-month program instead of a 3-month program and I just want to make sure that is correct. I couldn't find the link for the entire discussion which is why I'm asking, so I apologize if this is a repeat question for you. If your recommendation is really to do STS for 6 months instead of 3 then I certainly would prefer to do it that way. I plan on still working out after the 3 months anyway! If 6 months is truly what you recommend, then I guess what I would need clarification on is how to stretch it to the 6 months. Would I do every DVD two days in a row or do one week's worth and then start the week for the second time or would I do a whole month's worth then start the month over again? As I stated, I apologize if this has already been addressed, I just want to be clear and make sure I get the most out of this program. Looking forward to starting. Thanks for all your hard work, Gwen

Hi Silvercat and Everyone!

Yes, it is true that I originally intended STS to be a 6 month rotation but after realizing that most people wouldn't be able to commit to something that long I changed it to 3 months. But I do recommend the 6 month plan most especially if you are new to weight training, or don't currently weight train more than 2 times per week. That being said, if you want to do it as a 6 month rotation feel free to. You might even want to do it as a 5 month plan, as Mesocycle 3 is pretty straightforward and doesn't fluctuate the way the others do.

So if you were going to do the 5 or 6 month plan, here is what to do:

Mesocycle One:
All of week one from Mesocycle One and repeat week one
All of week two from Mesocycle One and repeat week two
All of week three from Mesocycle One and repeat week three
All of week four from Mesocycle One and repeat week four

Take one week off after you have completed these 8 weeks of Meso One.

Mesocycle Two:
All of week one from Mesocycle Two and repeat week one
All of week two from Mesocycle Two and repeat week two
All of week three from Mesocycle Two and repeat week three
All of week four from Mesocycle Two and repeat week four

Take one week off after you have completed these 8 weeks of Meso Two.

Mesocycle Three: optional to do 4 weeks or 8 weeks of this mesocycle

All of week one from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week one optional)
All of week two from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week two optional)
All of week three from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week three optional)
All of week four from Mesocycle Three (and repeat week four optional)

Take one week off after you have completed these 4 or 8 weeks of Meso Three.

Congratulations....You are done :eek: :D:D:D

Repeat again if desired (only as 3 month rotation if you did 5 or 6 months previously, since now you are acclimated to the workouts)....or feel free to do other rotations/workouts and pick up STS down the road again.
Bumping this to the thread monster as I just started STS today with this plan (and Cathe’s recommended cardio from another thread) in mind. I personally like this approach as just one pass with a DVD feels incomplete. I like two tries in order to get the mechanics and the weight right. It also puts me on auto pilot for the following week, not having to program anything or learn anything new. It gives my brain a break — definitely not my body, though. It‘s less to think about until late summer. Follow STS, get results. Boom. (Hopefully, my hard work will have paid off by then. :D)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.