Those against a modifier in high impact workouts, what's the downside?

I'm wondering if you find STS Back/tricep (meso one) workout less advanced because Cathe shows 4 different chin-up styles?
I don't find the different lifting styles distracting at all. I have a pull up bar, a lat pull down, and a cage similar to Cathe's pull up tower, so I switch my chin/pull up style weekly just for variation. Change is good:D

I also have to agree with the poster who said they are not always looking at the screen. If I know the cardio routine, I'm listening to Cathe's voice and the music. It's a good thing too, because she has us do many moves with our backs to the TV!

I'm not saying that I'm against a modifier -- it just depends on how well it's done. But I do think there is a big difference between showing different ways of doing things in the STS weight workouts and in something that is choreographed as with a step workout.

I too like the overall look of eneryone in unison. I find a modifier to be very distracting. To me the workouts are advanced so that is what I expect to see. If I wanted an intermediate workout then I'd buy an intermediate or beginner workout. This is one of the things I love about Cathe's workouts is that you don't see a modifier.

I think the idea of a modifier isn't to make the workout less intense (to an intermediate or beginner level), but less impactful. I was reading between the lines of Cathe's workout descriptions of drills, athletic moves, etc. as having a lot of high impact. That's why I didn't pre-order.

Sure, many of us could (and would) think of things to do to modify moves that would cause problems to our knees or whatever, but at least for me, when I do that, I end up with less intensity and not as great of a workout. However, with Cathe's expertise, she could find some alternatives that could also be advanced, but not so jarring to the joints.

I liked the idea posted earlier of Cathe starting out with the lower impact moves, then moving into the higher impact (and you could choose to continue to stay where you were). Or just have a modifier. I don't use them them often in many workouts and am not distracted or bothered by them.

If there isn't a modifier, I'll probably just order the step dvd and the travel one. But if there is, that would make the other workouts much more doable for me and my right knee.

I'm not saying that I'm against a modifier -- it just depends on how well it's done. But I do think there is a big difference between showing different ways of doing things in the STS weight workouts and in something that is choreographed as with a step workout.

I agree, Nancy. As much as I like the idea of having a modifier for drills and high impact intervals, I think that with intricately choreographed moves, it's better to do what Cathe has done so well before. She usually shows a more basic pattern first and tells us to just stick with that one if the next is too much. (I even do that when she has me doing certain turns that make me dizzy -- I do the turn every other time).

I would prefer to have a modifier, but I have placed my order and will do my own modifications if necessary. Like many of you, I've be doing Cathe's DVDs for many years ... some of the high intensity moves are hard on my knees.

Linda

Many of us Cathe fans NEED modifications. Some other Cathe fans WANT visual uniformity. I see it as 'need' vs. 'want'. It's great that your joints can take it, but based on the poll there seems to be a sizable majority of Cathe fans who lack those bionic joints :(. We love Cathe's intensity just as much as you and hope to keep working out w/ her for the next decade (or 2 or 3!) but we can't do that unless we modify.

C'mon, let us have a modifier in these. You lucky bionic types :p already have all 3 Imaxes, MIC, Drill Max, 4ds BC, original BC, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I would need a modifier! My joints ain't what they use to be... I did not order because I won't be able to do all the workouts! Have fun everyone!

I fail to see the difference. Whether it is cardio or weight lifting, they are are working the same body part but using different form.
I own several Beachbody workouts that all include a modifier in the background. If I need to modify a move, I look at the modifier. If I want to do the more advanced move, I follow the lead instructor. I usually focus on one person.

I just did Cathe's Kick Max this morning. Someone mentioned bloopers from Lorraine in that particular workout. I can honestly say that I've never noticed them because I am always looking at Cathe. I love Cathe's kick box style:D I still haven't found the blooper!!

Oh, one more thing: Have you ever thought why Cathe does Kick Box only with Jai and Lorraine?
That would explain the modifiers question!
Krasy

I take it you don't own, or have never seen, Cardio Kicks ? :confused:

Brenda is inspiring & amazing--Cathe's workouts wouldn't be nearly as fun without her smiling face (and excellent form, and great bod.........).

I agree, Nancy. As much as I like the idea of having a modifier for drills and high impact intervals, I think that with intricately choreographed moves, it's better to do what Cathe has done so well before. She usually shows a more basic pattern first and tells us to just stick with that one if the next is too much. (I even do that when she has me doing certain turns that make me dizzy -- I do the turn every other time).

Have you done P90X Plyometrics? I would consider that high intensity/high impact cardio workout. There are 2 modifiers in that workout. One, has a prosthetic leg. Tony jokes and says, "If you're tired.....or only have one leg, do this move!" It's funny, but not distracting.
Sometimes I do the higher impact move along with Tony and another backgrounder, and sometimes I feel like I only have one leg :p and do the lower impact. Having a choice is nice and it's easy to focus on one person.
As long as Cathe is doing the high impact move, I don't see how a modifier in the background will take away from the workout.

Last edited:
I take it you don't own, or have never seen, Cardio Kicks ? :confused:

Brenda is inspiring & amazing--Cathe's workouts wouldn't be nearly as fun without her smiling face (and excellent form, and great bod.........).

Plus she is such a super-nice person!! (Actually, all 4 crew members are, but I think I've spent the most time talking to Brenda.)

Modifiers don't bother me. I feel fortunate that at this time I don't need to use them, but who knows what may happen that would change that? Injury, overuse... Hope not! I've found that I only watch Cathe anyway. When I read posts about various crew members during workouts, I have no idea what they're talking about, cause I wasn't watching them. So for me, it doesn't really matter what the others are doing - my eyes and ears are on Cathe!

I find it surprising and a little bit selfish that some of you don't want modifiers because of the visual distraction. Just because my knees are 51 years old and worn out doesn't mean I don't want to work at the intensity that Cathe provides. To expect that your need for visual conformity among the crew is more important than anyone else's need to treat their joints more gently seems a bit unreasonable. With a step workout, I just leave the risers off and I'm good to go. But with other types of workouts, it's just not that simple...

yep, i gotta modify now, too. don't want to, but don't have a choice.

so, after all this, what does cathe say, i wonder?
cathy

I find it surprising and a little bit selfish that some of you don't want modifiers because of the visual distraction. Just because my knees are 51 years old and worn out doesn't mean I don't want to work at the intensity that Cathe provides. To expect that your need for visual conformity among the crew is more important than anyone else's need to treat their joints more gently seems a bit unreasonable. With a step workout, I just leave the risers off and I'm good to go. But with other types of workouts, it's just not that simple...

Wow. As I stated, I'm not against a modifier if it is done well. And I certainly don't consider myself being selfish about wanting uniformity and a clean look to choreographed workouts. That is my preference and I'm pretty sure I have a right to that opinion. It would be unfair for SNM to hear only one set of opinions on the subject.

I have very-nearly 52-year-old joints, and while I aspire to, and work to achieve, the level of athleticism of Cathe and crew I am realistic enough to know that is not going to happen in many circumstances. I have yet to manage hopping over the step at the end of HIS from 4-Day Split, but create my own modifications. Tuck jumps are still but a dream. One of the reasons I no longer do TheFIRM workouts is because I was frustrated with having to work to make them more challenging. I prefer workouts that challenge me rather than having to create the challenge on my own. That's not what I pay for.

Those are my preferences and why I started with one Cathe workout and now have all but just a few.

That is my preference and I'm pretty sure I have a right to that opinion.

Actually, I wasn't speaking to you personally, it was about the general tone of the "we don't want a modifier" posts. But yes, you do have a right to your opinion. Isn't that the whole point of posting here--to share our opinions? If we all agreed, these would be the dullest forums EVER!

With a modifier, these workouts could challenge ALL of us, not just those whose joints are up to the impact. I am not expert enough by a long shot to provide my own modifications to those workouts, so without them, I won't buy these. And that's ok. But with them (and I agree that they would have to be done well), more of us could do this, and you would still get the challenge that you pay for.

Last edited:
Yea, I've never understood people's resistance to modifiers. I mean, they're exercisers not, as a previous poster stated, The Rocketts. And they're fitness dvd's not Scorsese films. Every time Cathe talks about doing new cardio workouts this, frankly, snobby attitude shows up among Cathe's cardio die-hards.

In regards to cardio, there is a real void between what Cathe does (which is often too complex and difficult for most) and everything everyone else does (usually far too easy). Those of us who (used to be) in-betweens used Cathe for her superior weight training dvd's but when it came to cardio many of us had to look elsewhere. This is where Cathe lost a lot of people (paying customers) to Amy Bento and Cardio Coach. Thanks to cleaner eating, Cathe weight training and cardio from AB/CC I am now 55 pounds lighter and able to keep up with Cathe. She has her competitors to thank for much of my (and I'm guessing many others) weight loss success. A simple modifier and I wouldn't have been forced to turn elsewhere for my cardio needs. In the end, it's a business decision not an exclusive country club thing.

Also, if you're so easily distracted by modifiers how advanced are you, really?

Showing a modifier would bother me. Most people who learns Cathe style will begin to modify for themselves. It would distract me from it because, I have a mindset that if I can concentrate on Cathe alone, I will do more by her visible instructions, if I saw a modifier, then I might not push myself as hard.

I hope she continues the way she has been all these years. It simply doesn't need to be fixed.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Well, said Stacey D!!!

The attitude of some people blows my mind. When Cathe messed up her knee and had to stop doing some of her cardio (remember - it delayed her filming the last video series - people complained about that, too) - anyway, did she suddenly become an intermediate exerciser when her knee blew!?!?!? Does the professional athlete suddenly become intermediate when he/she is injured? I don't think so!!!
I did Bootcamp this weekend - a workout I've done many times before and love - this time however, I was having extreme, shooting knee pain. Probably I'm now a beginner sor something rational like that.
I'd be fine with a modifier or with a modifications chapter, but you get people whining about the chapter issue, too. Some people just need to get over themselves.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. That said, not having a modifier won't affect my decision to purchase. I have done alot of research on modifications over the past couple of years I have done Cathe's workouts, so I'm used to figuring out what works for me when needed.

If Cathe decides a modifier in her workouts is the way to go, I'm all for it. If she decides to keep things as is, I'm still all for it.

Well said....Ditto! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.