Those against a modifier in high impact workouts, what's the downside?

Showing a modifier would bother me. Most people who learns Cathe style will begin to modify for themselves. It would distract me from it because, I have a mindset that if I can concentrate on Cathe alone, I will do more by her visible instructions, if I saw a modifier, then I might not push myself as hard.

I hope she continues the way she has been all these years. It simply doesn't need to be fixed.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
I totaly agree with you!
Krasy

It would distract me from it because, I have a mindset that if I can concentrate on Cathe alone, I will do more by her visible instructions, if I saw a modifier, then I might not push myself as hard.

So by that rationale, if you saw someone sitting on the couch, you might not even do the workout?

I've never had a problem tuning out background exercisers (or even the lead instructor) to focus on the person I was following

...if I saw a modifier, then I might not push myself as hard.

Seriously?? That would be the fault of all of us who need to modify safely?? Either push yourself, or don't push yourself, but don't push the blame for what YOU do (or don't do) during a workout on anybody else! We call that "personal responsibility." For me, that means making sure my workouts are as safe as possible, thus the request for modifiers. Now I'm off to find an exercise support forum that's a little less snobbish than this one!

Cathe alone, I will do more by her visible instructions, if I saw a modifier, then I might not push myself as hard.

I'm the opposite. I can push myself. When know a routine where Cathe first demonstrates the move which in low impact fashion, I jump straight to the higher impact move because I already know it.

Yea, I've never understood people's resistance to modifiers. I mean, they're exercisers not, as a previous poster stated, The Rocketts. And they're fitness dvd's not Scorsese films. Every time Cathe talks about doing new cardio workouts this, frankly, snobby attitude shows up among Cathe's cardio die-hards.

In regards to cardio, there is a real void between what Cathe does (which is often too complex and difficult for most) and everything everyone else does (usually far too easy). Those of us who (used to be) in-betweens used Cathe for her superior weight training dvd's but when it came to cardio many of us had to look elsewhere. This is where Cathe lost a lot of people (paying customers) to Amy Bento and Cardio Coach. Thanks to cleaner eating, Cathe weight training and cardio from AB/CC I am now 55 pounds lighter and able to keep up with Cathe. She has her competitors to thank for much of my (and I'm guessing many others) weight loss success. A simple modifier and I wouldn't have been forced to turn elsewhere for my cardio needs. In the end, it's a business decision not an exclusive country club thing.

Also, if you're so easily distracted by modifiers how advanced are you, really?
BINGO!!! Well said, Stacy! If it weren't for Cardio Coach I wouldn't DO cardio. The only thing I would say is that I don't view Cardio Coach as a direct competitor of Cathe's because they do totally different things. CC is for those of us who prefer machine cardio, and walkers/runners. ETA that I can handle intensity, it's the impact and complex choreography that I have a problem with. ;)

Stacy, YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Congratulations on your success!!!! You ROCK!! :D

Last edited:
Here's the bottom line from a business perspective:

People that don't need or want low impact modifiers will most likely still purchase STS Shock Cardio if modifiers are included.

However, people that do need low impact modifiers may be less likely to purchase the program if modifiers are not included.

Therefore, including low-impact modifiers is a sound business decision for Cathe, leading to a program designed to appeal to the broadest range of people without excluding anyone that can handle intense-level cardio.

Including modifiers also increases the lifespan of each workout DVD for each purchaser, so that the workout can be used as the purchaser gets older, gets injured, etc. Someone who does not need a low-impact modifier today may need one in five years- or even tomorrow.

It is important to again reiterate, my original request was to show only ONE background exerciser demonstrating low-impact modification options, NOT lower-intensity modification options.

Morningstar I agree with what you just said. Somehow I can't get my mind around objections to a modifier. Everyone will most likely get to the point or age where they will appreciate having one. And then there are the days when you are just tired or recovering form something and could use a modifier. I know it is making the difference for me in whether or not I order STS Cardio. For years I never needed a modifier and now I do. Sure I can modify for myself but I would like to see some other choices perhaps.

Morningstar I agree with your statement below.

"Including modifiers also increases the lifespan of each workout DVD for each purchaser, so that the workout can be used as the purchaser gets older, gets injured, etc. Someone who does not need a low-impact modifier today may need one in five years- or even tomorrow.

It is important to again reiterate, my original request was to show only ONE background exerciser demonstrating low-impact modification options, NOT lower-intensity modification options.[/QUOTE]"

I've read this thread with great interest and amusement.

Not sure why Brenda was singled out, That annoyed me. Shes bouncy, happy and fit. Clearly that poster has no idea about fit happy people.

I admit I was one who could never understand the "modifier" UNTIL...........injury. BUT.....

The modifier, in Cathes workouts is usually placed at the back and I can't see what they are doing anyway! Especially, in abs or weight moves. So really if you can't see them clearly whats the point? Visual distraction? Huh? You can't see em, nothing distracting about it.

Loving life and Nancy have got it right. Cathe always shows the easy pattern first then bumps it up. You choose which one is right for you. Cathe has got it right for many years, she doesn't need to change anything.

Last edited:
Here's the bottom line from a business perspective:

People that don't need or want low impact modifiers will most likely still purchase STS Shock Cardio if modifiers are included.

However, people that do need low impact modifiers may be less likely to purchase the program if modifiers are not included.

Therefore, including low-impact modifiers is a sound business decision for Cathe, leading to a program designed to appeal to the broadest range of people without excluding anyone that can handle intense-level cardio.

Including modifiers also increases the lifespan of each workout DVD for each purchaser, so that the workout can be used as the purchaser gets older, gets injured, etc. Someone who does not need a low-impact modifier today may need one in five years- or even tomorrow.

It is important to again reiterate, my original request was to show only ONE background exerciser demonstrating low-impact modification options, NOT lower-intensity modification options.

Bingo. It's good business sense.

I've been waiting for SNM to respond to this thread like they have others in this forum. I can't imagine that they're not following this discussion.

There are probably a million considerations of which consumers are not aware that SNM has to undertake before making a statement.

Plus, any time SNM does say something people start treating it like an iron-clad contract.

Still, as a long-time consumer I would appreciate a basic statement along the lines of "Even though we're not prepared to make any determinations, we're listening because we care what our consumers think."

"...Still, as a long-time consumer I would appreciate a basic statement along the lines of "Even though we're not prepared to make any determinations, we're listening because we care what our consumers think.'"

Cathe has responded exactly that in another thread:

Cathe Friedrich
user_offline.gif

Hi Denise and Everyone! Thank you for your enthusiasm and suggestions. Everyone's suggestions and feedback are always welcome and appreciated. Even though we may not comment or be able to consider your suggestions, please know that we do read them. Also, please be sure to post them in our suggestions forum too. Thanks All :D

"...Still, as a long-time consumer I would appreciate a basic statement along the lines of "Even though we're not prepared to make any determinations, we're listening because we care what our consumers think.'"

Cathe has responded exactly that in another thread:

Cathe Friedrich
user_offline.gif

Hi Denise and Everyone! Thank you for your enthusiasm and suggestions. Everyone's suggestions and feedback are always welcome and appreciated. Even though we may not comment or be able to consider your suggestions, please know that we do read them. Also, please be sure to post them in our suggestions forum too. Thanks All :D

Thanks for posting Nancy. :)

However, it's easy to read that as a specific answer to another thread. Not a general statement that applies to all threads. Especially since there's been no SNM response to this thread or the other exceedingly long one on the same topic.

Just another POV.

FWIW, I think Cathe is completely open to questions and suggestions. I'm not sure why there's tension over certain kinds of discussions here.

Downside - my .02

Other than ending up with injuries like Cathe and Brenda have had and feeling guilty because you "can't keep up" and Cathe herself saying how after 40 a person must slow down and then making a series that contradicts every thing she quoted in her newspaper article, well nothing.

Yes or you play "hero" and try to do as Cathe is doing.

I feel inadequate when I can't negotiate the moves as demonstrated.

In essence, I am very disappointed to see such extreme moves being promoted in this series.

I love STS, but it is safe done as Cathe advises. It is not for the beginner to weight training, but is perfect for those of us who want more intense strength training.

And although a loyal Cathe fan over the years, I don't care WHO does the workouts, I feel the moves are unsafe. Cathe usually puts emphasis on safety.

Even at the presale of $100, I bet I will be selling some of these workout to someone who loves to go all out until they end up with serious orthopedic injuries.

Even the most bionic type ends up injured at some point.

I have done every workout Cathe has done except for the beginner ones.

This series has me shocked at what she is doing.

So I don't want a series just because it has Cathe's name on it if the workout is so extreme it is made for a person training for the Olympics.

That leaves the vast majority of us out of the picture.

If no modifier, the moves need to be changed prior to filming, IMO.

From what I've seen in the rehearsal photos, I am very disappointed.....

Last edited:
May I ask which pictures and unsafe moves you're referring to? I reexamined our Shock Cardio pictures I would say 95% of the pictures that we have shown so far are moves Cathe has used in past workouts, so I'm confused by your concerns and statements. If you're referring to Box Jumps, this is an exercise that is used by nearly every athletic and personal trainer in the country and I've never heard of it as being described as unsafe. You can easily modify the movement by lowering your step height just as you would do in step aerobics.

Shock Cardio is not designed for Olympic Athletes, but has been designed for the same advanced exercisers just like most of our workouts we have done in the past are. Shock Cardio is about offering different types of Cardio Workouts and intensities while also keeping the fun factor.

If there is one word that I feel describes Cathe it is "Professionalism". She is not about to damage her reputation by including unsafe moves in a workout. One of things that make Cathe special in my opinion is the "feel" she has for an exercise. She knows just when to push and also when to ease up. Yes, the workouts will be advanced, but they will be safe too and that should be expected from Cathe.

Last edited:
I have never been hurt doing a Cathe cardio because after 58 years I know what I can't do. I bought Shock Cardio knowing I can't do a lot of it. I modify most of the cardio dvds but they are still more intense than any other dvds I have. I would like modifications but don't expect them.

As an alternative I would be very happy to pay for a dvd that explained each move and showed a low impact substitution. I love the intensity of the low impact series Cathe has done. With my own modifications I know the intensity suffers.

Joan

I don't mind a modifier being in thw workout. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. What does bother me is asking someone to do it. We're not just asking for modifications (which Cathe typically offers anyway). We're asking for Jai, Lorraine, Brenda or Cedie to do those modifications. I have no idea if they feel comfortable doing a different routine than everyone else. It's a lot of perssure to put onto someone: not only do you have to perform, but you have to do slightly different exercises from everyone else AND keep up. Some background exercisers can do it just fine. I'm not saying they can't modify. I just think we should take them into consideration when asking for something like this. I know some of them have modified in weight workouts, but this is different and harder to do.

If Cathe and crew are willing to have a modifier, fine with me. If not, fine with me.

I'm one who cannot do high impact...I know my body. I also trust Cathe and believe that she would never promote unsafe moves. I alone am responsible for knowing my own limitations and working with those. There are times when I do have to modify and I don't have a problem doing it. Just my .02 :)

Having a modifier in the new series or any series wouldn't bother me at all. I think it would be a great thing to have especially when people have asked Cathe in the past if her workouts can be performed by a beginner as long as they modify. Having a modifier wouldn't prevent me from purchasing.

This is a good point. You put in a modifier, but then someone wants a different one because their reason for needing a modifier is different from everyone else's reason.

I see the need for modifiers in beginner to intermediate routines. If you are experienced enough to be doing advanced workouts, you should either a) not need modifiers or b) already know the ones that work for you and don't need someone telling/showing you what to do to modify.

In conclusion, beginner to intermediate workouts - yes, use modifiers to help people learn what works best for them and their particular issues (back, knees, shoulders, etc.), BUT when it comes to advanced workouts, I don't think there should be modifiers unless it's put in a separate section as a preview or tutorial as someone else mentioned.

Just MHO.

I would rather not have modifiers. One of the problems I see is that there are so many ways to modify a move, which one would she use? Low impact, no impact, turns, no turns??

For example Over-The-Top: No impact -walk across; moderate impact - hop across; higher impact - hitch kick across; Cathe impact - leap over the stinkin' top ;)

Some moves of course are just a matter of not jumping; other moves may not be able to be modified and a "modifier" would be doing something completely different and as others have said, that could be distracting.

Just my take; I bought STS without even reading the details. Shrek could be in the background modifying and I will still be tickled pink about this new release.

Debbie Russo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.