Those against a modifier in high impact workouts, what's the downside?

To me the workouts are advanced so that is what I expect to see. If I wanted an intermediate workout then I'd buy an intermediate or beginner workout.
"Modifier" doesn't mean "change from advanced to intermediate." If you look at the thread where people are requesting a modifier, we all want modifications that keep the intensity up.

"Modifier" doesn't mean "change from advanced to intermediate." If you look at the thread where people are requesting a modifier, we all want modifications that keep the intensity up.

Hmm maybe I didn't read through all the posts carefully enough. I thought most people were saying that they wanted to avoid injury to joints or felt that some of the moves were to intense. Which if a modifier was showing a less advanced move wouldn't that change the labeling of the workout to intermediate/advanced? Even if the modifier is to show more intenisty I still perfer everyone in unison. I just personally like to buy advanced workouts where everyone is doing the same advanced moves. I like to modify on my own on days when I'm not feeling it. Maybe its the neurotic type A personality in me where I want things to be the same? :(

I have never been distracted by the low-impact modifier when I've done other workouts that have them. And, I found it helpful to follow along with them after I had an injury where I could only do low-impact work. Prior to that, I had never had to modify, so I found it helpful that they were there.

There is a difference between someone who is demonstarting "beginner" modifications (and I still wouldn't care if they had one of those) and someone who is showing "low-impact" modifications for an advanced workout. Plus, Cathe already does occassionally have one of the crew members performing a move in a modified way.

Why wouldn't we want Cathe's workouts to be accessible to more people? I don't understand the debate at all; I have never ever giving the modifier in a workout a second thought, and I am one of the most uptight people I know.
Ultimately, it is up to Cathe and crew if they want to have the modifier, but I certainly wouldn't be against it, even if it is not useful to me at the time.

Which if a modifier was showing a less advanced move wouldn't that change the labeling of the workout to intermediate/advanced? Even if the modifier is to show more intenisty I still perfer everyone in unison. I just personally like to buy advanced workouts where everyone is doing the same advanced moves. I like to modify on my own on days when I'm not feeling it. Maybe its the neurotic type A personality in me where I want things to be the same? :(

I'm wondering if you find STS Back/tricep (meso one) workout less advanced because Cathe shows 4 different chin-up styles?
I don't find the different lifting styles distracting at all. I have a pull up bar, a lat pull down, and a cage similar to Cathe's pull up tower, so I switch my chin/pull up style weekly just for variation. Change is good:D

I also have to agree with the poster who said they are not always looking at the screen. If I know the cardio routine, I'm listening to Cathe's voice and the music. It's a good thing too, because she has us do many moves with our backs to the TV!

Exactly, want the intensity without the impact.

Exactly, want the intensity without the impact.

Actually, that's the problem many of us now have modifying Cathe on our own.

We can't keep the intensity high enough using our own modifications, so we want better (more intense) ones from Cathe's evil mental list of brutal yet joint friendly moves. :D

For all who are bothered by the lack of uniformity if a modifier is used - these are my observations.

Thanks Fit44 for your observations. I totally agree with your statement below. In STS everyone is not uniform. Some crew members are using a bench others are using a step. Some are using barbells and others are using dumbbells. In Meso three legs- some are using vest, some are using a squat rack and others are using Cathe's power tower. The men use the bikes to warm up and the women do Cathe's warmup. I was not bothered or distracted in the least by the variety! In fact i did not give it much thought until others began to discuss the need or want for uniformity.

Modifications do not mean that a particular move is not advanced or intense! While I can always think of my own modifications if and when I want them, I respect those who want a modifier.

I'm wondering if you find STS Back/tricep (meso one) workout less advanced because Cathe shows 4 different chin-up styles?
I don't find the different lifting styles distracting at all. I have a pull up bar, a lat pull down, and a cage similar to Cathe's pull up tower, so I switch my chin/pull up style weekly just for variation. Change is good:D

I also have to agree with the poster who said they are not always looking at the screen. If I know the cardio routine, I'm listening to Cathe's voice and the music. It's a good thing too, because she has us do many moves with our backs to the TV!

Thanks for posting the link! Brenda is awesome! Never noticed her slacking & am in awe to have read that right after her injury, she was already planning to do another triatholon once she recovered!

And she did in 2008. (It is in a podcast on the same site as the above link)And beat a PR at Lake Placid. And is going to do another at the same place she broke her hip. Un-freaking-belivable. She's a fighter and then some. I am in awe.

I have always liked Brenda for her positive energy. She even got me through the first disc in STS. Just as I was starting to doubt (oh my goodness, I'm gonna die, what have I got myself into, this is so beyond my level ect.) the camera pans to Brenda who is obviously working and feeling it, but she is pushing through it, with a smile on her face and determination in her eyes. That was my ah ha moment.

Wisp

lower impact doesn't mean lower intensity. just look at low max! i dont' see why ppl have to be so negative and most of all insulting. if cathe didn't think brenda(or any cast member for that matter) was strong enough or could keep up in the videos then she wouldn't put them in there. and to say brenda can't keep up is only a slap in the face to cathe's decisions but also to all those athletes that compete alongside brenda in those iron man competitions. i dont' find modifiers distracting in any other video i have b/c/ i really don't pay attention that much.

but to each their own it was just a suggestion and nothing was ever said by cathe or snm about modifiers being shown so all this back and forth is really for nothing at the moment. it won't change my decision any b/c i think by now we all now its a quality workout that will be given to us modifier or no modifier. and not everybody looks the same doing the same movements either. our bodies are just to varied and different from each other to look the same doing it. i know my hooks look nothing like amy bento's b/c of her long arms while i am the same height roughly as cathe we both look different doing jumps b/c of her built while mine is different. can we keep that in mind as well.

kassia

My this has gotten rude fast.

Actually, that's the problem many of us now have modifying Cathe on our own.

We can't keep the intensity high enough using our own modifications, so we want better (more intense) ones from Cathe's evil mental list of brutal yet joint friendly moves. :D

Exactly. I can rarely think of good modifications to keep the intensity up so suggestions are welcome. A modifier would be nice, but at least I'd like her to layer the moves (here's teh low impact option, here's the high impact option)

Modifiers are not distracting to me unless they are doing something totally different and I dont pay attention to them unless I need to.

Modify due to age

I have used Cathe for about 10 years. I never modified back then. Now I have to because my joints are feeling the strain. Even though I have been working out rather consistently, I'm finding at the ripe old age of 55, I DO need some modifcations. My muscles and joints are now feeling the strain and it takes me longer to recover between workouts....I would welcome modifications.

I would love to see a modifier. That could open up the door to those of us that cannot do the full versions!!

Gin Miller successfully employed multiple modifications in her Intense Moves video - an oldie but a goodie....since it was an interval workout, she illustrated the options during the rest period. She also suggested you choose your option and focus on that person .... It worked for me and I don't think it detracted from the quality of the video at all.

This is exactly the DVD that comes to mind when I think of "modifications"...

Gin uses the lower intensity & lower impact options as the "rest interval" period...Then you can crank it up with her if you choose. Its a fantastic way to use the DVd at all fitness levels I think. Also there are just some day you dont have 150% to give..It reminds all the type A personalities that there is another way to get in a great workout;)

Whatever Cathe decides is fine by me..I already modify to lower impact but high intensity when I need to.

I see no downside to having a modifier for high impact moves. It seems that a lot of the people requesting the modifier have been working out with Cathe for years (myself included). As many of Cathe's loyal fans age, they find that high impact is no longer a feasible option for them. (And "hats off" to those of you who have been able to avoid injury or aging joints; that's awesome!). But for the rest of us, it's sad for us to realize that we may no longer be able to fully participate in the workouts we love the best. I for one am not great at making up my own modifications, so I just don't do or purchase anymore those workouts where lots of self-made modifications are necessary. If all it would take is a modifier to keep this group of people (and it does seem like it's a fairly large group of people) purchasing Cathe's DVDs and working out with her, how can that be bad?

Thanks,
Shelbygirl

Last edited:
I agree Shelbygirl. People who are decrying a modifier now might be wishing for one in the future. I too have worked out with Cathe for years and now need to bring down the impact.

Oh, one more thing: Have you ever thought why Cathe does Kick Box only with Jai and Lorraine?
That would explain the modifiers question!
Krasy

Actually I believe Cathe had said both Jai and Loarraine are certified kick box instructors and love kick boxing versus Brenda and Cedi don't like kickboxing so much. That's why Jai and Lorraine were in kick boxing DVDs without Brenda and Cedi. Not because Brenda and Cedi could not keep up. You only have to look at Imax 3 to know that Brenda and Cedi are capable of high intensity/high impact workout.

Having said that, having a modifier would not be a bother at all. As Cindy, Fit44, had said Beachbody workouts have modifier. So do Amy Bento, Kelly Coffey Meyer and Tracey Staehle.

Penny

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.