Suggestions? - Upper Body Split

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-02 AT 00:51AM (Est)[/font][p]I also forgot to add that I prefer a full pyramid or a pyramid down uproach. I really dislike pyramiding up, it just doesn't seem as effective.
Also please include rotator cuff exercises.
Thanks for listening! :)

Hey Cathe, Thanks for asking!

Would LOVE:

-the full pyramid
-slower reps (yes, I'm jumpin' on the bandwagon!)
-60 minutes length

In all fairness I think it is a tall order for you to fit it all in in that time frame...How about a 2-day upper body split? (Hee hee just kidding.) I have faith in you :) !!!

Thank you thank you thank you!
Kathy

A 60 minute full pyramid approach sounds great as does the oft-repeated 2-2 count, midrange speed of the reps. I'd be interested in hearing about the sequence of the exercises--supersets?--will we work each muscle group to fatigue, alternate opposing muscle groups, or rotate, vary, and repeat (Can anybody say "Firm"?)It would be easier to divide the tape over a couple of days when time restraints rule if the exercises were based on muscle grouping, but sometimes variety really is the spice of life.

Additionally...Yes, it's true....I'm sorta slow...as befits someone of my advanced age...Please help me by explaining what weights are suggested/required for the set---BEFORE the set---so I can get myself ready. I really like the way form pointer segments are used in Power Hour--perfect for that all important rest AND mental preparation!

However it's done, it'll be great. I'm so excited!!!

Hi Cathe!

I am very excited about your up coming videos, they sound great! My suggestion is for the ab portion of the workouts. If you could use the Swiss ball, an incline bench and possibly some type of resistance that would be great. I love the feel of the Swiss ball, and you get such a *good* burn. I think the incline bench (maybe w/ some weights) would be a nice change of pace also.

Thanks,

Lollie

I would like to see about 45 minutes for the actual upper body weight section and the other 15 devoted to abs, core and stretching. I like the full pyramid idea with plenty of time in the count to lift heavy when the reps are low, and a full one minute rest between sets, at least when doing the heavier weight sections. Also a 2/2 count is generally enough but as the weights get heavier for the lower reps you may want to give us more time than 2/2 allows.

Thanks for asking!

I like to do the pyramid approach from heavy to lighter so to exhast the muscle. I love doing upper body and lower body on different days and at the end of the wk, the whole body (such as power hour). So I love the idea of spitting upper and lower. Upper Body Split say's it all. Please make it 60 minutes with lots of bicep work, I never feel like I exhast that muscle (I guess I'll keep going up in weight). Thanks for making new tapes. Will this be on DVD also right away? That would be great.
Faythe

Hi,

My wishes for the new tapes:

1) Slower speed than PS

2) Core work (please show some modifications)

3) NO CRUNCHES

4) Rotator cuff exercises

5) Please tell us the weights you use for each exercise.

Thanks,

Helen

Full pryamid- 60 minutes. I like the idea of shorter workouts but think it would be much to try to fit all the upper body muscles plus abs into a 45 minute workout. Am sure it will be great whatever route you go.

Full pyramid or Body For Life method. I love super-sets!

I also would not mind seeing the core work moved to the Lower Body Split or have it at the beginning of the Upper Body workout. I have found that my arms are so tired from upper body training that it makes holding planks really difficult and I feel it more in my arms than anywhere else - not the right place! I would also like a slower pace than Pure Strength, but faster than Slow & Heavy.

All that being said though, I will love whatever you decide to do and I'm looking forward to each and every workout!

If you do a full pyramid-- would this mean you'd just do one exercise per body group?... I'd prefer to do at least two different exercises per body group... Curious about the rest time you'll use?

As far as pyramiding goes, I'd love to start with light weights and go heavier... this feels more natural for me... as the first set of higher reps, lower weights serves as an excellent warm-up. (That's if you do half pyramids)

I'd prefer a slower pace than Pure Strength, but faster than Slow & Heavy... seems like a common request-- a 2-2 count sounds good to me.

Also, would love to have options of a shorter workout by chaptering what I need. (DVD)

For the Ab work... I'd love to see non-traditional moves... using a medicine ball, or stability ball for instance-- or maybe even pilates. (or perhaps all three) ;-)

Thanks Cathe, you're the best for allowing us to give you some input in your new workouts!

I would like it to be 60 minutes long. I can always split it into two days if time is an issue. The superset method moving slower than PS and faster than S&H sounds great! I'd also like to see a medicine ball incorportated into your ab sections on any of the videos. It really adds intensity to the workout for me. Thanks!

I'd like to see a light warm-up set at the beginning of each body part (like you did for shoulders on Slow and Heavy), then each body part done with three sets: moderate, heavy, moderate.

I'd also like to use medicine balls in the upper body and ab work, and use some pilates-like moves and a stability ball for ab work.

Another "yea" for rotator cuff exercises.

And if you can come up with some alternatives for push-ups and triceps dips (preferably omitting the latter), my wrists and shoulder would appreciate it!

You mention that you will move from larger muscle groups to smaller muscle groups in the workout. I take this to mean you will focus on the back and chest first and then focus on the shoulders and arms. This is the format I would like to see in a sixty minute or longer tape, with abs/core work after the chest work and a longer stretch at the end. Or, as others have suggested, the abs/core work could be put on the legs tape. This would make the tape usable in a one or two day upper body split.

I like a diverse cast, and men are welcome. Your other tapes are all so good, I am sure this one will be too.

I would love to see a 45 minute pyramid workout! I've been desperately waiting for her to do a pyramid workout and shorter workouts. I can't wait. I have had great results with the pyramid system and I've always wanted to see Cathe do that type of tape because I think as always she would make a better one than anyone else. Also I think there's a large number of people that would love shorter advanced, challenging workouts in 45 minutes due to time constraints and I think if anyone can make a shorter workout really get the job done it's Cathe. IMHO there's no one that can come close to what Cathe achieves in her workouts! No offense to the other instructors out there but she has won the Gold Medal in my book.

Hi Cathe! I too would prefer to see 45 min. full pyramid with slower reps than in PS series. I hope I survive these 6 tapes!! Oh My!LOL Thanks Cathe your the best, Kathy

Dear Cathe~

I think SUPERSETS and PYRAMIDING is a great addition to the styles you offer and a good compliment to the PS and SH series.

My suggestions are simply:

1. Please consider making the Lower/Upper body split workouts at a mid-tempo or mixed tempo slower than PS and faster that SH.

2. Also, adequate stretching inbetween exercises.

3. And a couple of men to show just how challenging it would be for them as well!

Thanks, dmd

Can you design the routine so it could be done over two days? I do not plan to do one hour of weighted leg works so I like the way you are designing Lower Body Split. I would like to be able to do the same with Upper Body Split since I would probably do part of each tape on the same day. This would make a more efficient workout for those of us who have limited time to do body sculpting tapes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.