New Runners Check-In; All Runners Welcome! August 10, 2009

Janis - Your run sounds like my ideal! I would love to have access to a place like that to run! I could really get into a forest run! I'd take my chances with the wildlife!

Do you have any problems throwing your sneaks into the wash? I'm always afraid to do that. Maybe I should just throw in the liner on bottom?

You can swing to my house first, clean for me, then we can pile into the car and head up to Toronto! How's that for a plan? ;)

Not much help on the book. I don't know Lyle McDonald's work. Let us know what you think if you end up reading it!

As for my run with DH -

1. Woke up tired - not a good start!
2. It was hot as you-know-what out today and quite humid!

Not a good start, but I used my inhaler before we left the house. We went to a different spot today. There's a great tree covered area in the East side of Providence that has a walking/running track right down the middle so you don't have to worry about cars. It's all grass on both sides and runs down between the four lanes of the street. It's really nice!

I did my customary stretching first and warm-up walk. Then, it began. We started running and I knew right away I was in trouble. He's a speed demon! I was able to stay modestly behind him and he kept circling the benches and tress to come back to me, grinning all the way, the show off! :p

By the time I had even made it half a mile, I was wheezing and huffing and puffing, but I kept on going! I made it to the end of the street and started walking from there to catch my breath and get my HR down just a bit. That was only at the 2.2 km mark! He was killing me! After about another 8/10 of a km, I started running again. I had to take one more break and finished the last 1.25 km running. His pace was just too fast for me! :eek: Gives me something to work towards!

Of course, he said that wasn't even his actual running speed! Yeah, just rubbed it right in! That's okay. I've only been doing this for a few months and as for a steady state run, only probably a few weeks!

The sensor did great! We compared notes. DH uses a gps program on his iPhone and we were very, very close to the same measurements. I downloaded my results when I got home. I love it! It hooks right up to iTunes and automatically downloads directly to Nike+ - I can then immediately go there and check my stats. I've only used it twice now, but I would certainly not have a problem recommending the Nike Sport Kit! The calorie count was a little bit lower, but I don't start the Nike receiver until after my warm-up so I can measure just my actual run distance with that, so I have to add my warm-up and cool down cals to the Nike cals to see where it lands and it's only about 20-30 cals lower than what my HRM measures. Not too bad!

So, that's my story for today. I obviously have a long way to go! Now, to find a training program that will help me increase my pace!

No running for me its smokey. :( Bummer. I will try tomorrow. Maybe super early. I might do an easy yoga dvd with Leslie Sansone.

Yikes, paw prints! No thanks! I don't want to tangle with a big cat, thats why I carry my baton.

Hi Ladies,

May I join your group? I have been lurking around here since you guys first began. :eek:

My name is Jennifer or Jenn, I live in upstate NY in the Hudson Valley. I am trying to incorporate running into my routine and I am wanting to lose 35+ pounds.

I have been slowly doing the couch to 5k program. I am in week 3 and with my work schedule I have only 2 days a week that I can run, Tuesdays and Sundays.

Tricia how is your golf game doing?

Jenn;)

Hi Ladies,

May I join your group? I have been lurking around here since you guys first began. :eek:

My name is Jennifer or Jenn, I live in upstate NY in the Hudson Valley. I am trying to incorporate running into my routine and I am wanting to lose 35+ pounds.

I have been slowly doing the couch to 5k program. I am in week 3 and with my work schedule I have only 2 days a week that I can run, Tuesdays and Sundays.

Jenn;)

Welcome Jenn!

We would love to have you join us! Congrats on making it to week 3! Life is busy and none of us is perfect, so we all miss days, me, mostly due to weather! We've had lots of rain this summer!

Hope to hear more about your progress as you go!

Thanks for asking about my golf game! I just finished my beginner's class last Monday, but we went diving and to a play this weekend, so I haven't played since last week. I need A LOT of practice, but I'm sure it will get better as I go!

Again, welcome to the group!

Welcome Jenn!

We would love to have you join us! Congrats on making it to week 3! Life is busy and none of us is perfect, so we all miss days, me, mostly due to weather! We've had lots of rain this summer!

Hope to hear more about your progress as you go!

Thanks for asking about my golf game! I just finished my beginner's class last Monday, but we went diving and to a play this weekend, so I haven't played since last week. I need A LOT of practice, but I'm sure it will get better as I go!

Again, welcome to the group!

Golf is a game of patience. I need lots of practice also. The last time I played was July 4th and before that I hadn't picked up club in about a year. I don't like the driving range it bores me to tears. But I like playing on the course. Maybe I will have to have DH take me out soon.

Jenn

Morningstar, between Tricia, Christine and me - you'd have a pretty good thing going! Tricia could do healing/bodywork on you, Christine could clean your house, and I could cook/bake vegetarian meals for you. Toronto here we come! lol.:D

It's a Morningstar intervention! :eek: In case I've never mentioned it, this check-in group has quickly become a highlight of my days. My life has been kinda rough the last couple of years and I really appreciate all of the support and friendship you guys offer- seriously, it sometimes is what is getting me through the day, and I'm not exaggerating.

Low energy days are such an impediment! I know how you feel. I really do, sort of like a vampire has sucked all your blood out, and some witch has cast a gloomy spell.

Well - I found this this morning and it made me smile, huge, I played it five times before ds19 snapped at me. LOL. :D Too bad it is only a minute long, I'm looking for a longer version. Watch (if you can at work) the facial expressions/eyes of the hippo! love it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1811233136844420765&hl=en

Very good description of a bleak day, Janis. And I loved the video!

I am thinking about buying an ebook download from Lyle McDonald, Stubborn Fat, he outlines programs to follow for targeting the fat that is difficult to mobilize and burn off. Has anyone read his stuff? I'm not sure I am the reader he is targeting with his book, I am NOT heading towards fitness/figure competition.

And why not, I ask? I know you are 1 freakin' pound from your target weight, you kick ass in cardio and you're working on your strength, why not aim for fitness/figure competing? By the way, are you still doing all that activity on 1500 calories a day?

Hi Ladies,

Hey look, ladies, we have our own stalker! What a compliment! Jenn, of COURSE you can join us! Sounds like you and me are in about the same place with C25K- the rest of them all act as inspiration for me, who was a little late to the game.

Guys, I'm so embarrassed! :eek: Today was C25K, week 4, first time doing it. I just couldn't finish the final 5-minute run. I gave up after about 2 minutes. I walked for a few minutes, and tried again. I gave up again after about 20 seconds. I had a really restless night last night, and felt really really foggy and tired in the morning. I woke up an hour late, which meant that the only way I was getting my run in was to run to work, which I haven't done it a while. That means that I had to run with a pack, which I also haven't done in a while. I think the combination of a humid day, lack of good sleep and running with a pack did me in. This is the first C25K workout this has happened with. Now I'm feeling like maybe I can't finish this program and maybe I won't be successful with C25K.

Okay, deep breath: I'm going to keep doing this week's workout until I've done it three times all the way through, successfully, before moving on. This was my first time in my whole life running 5 minutes in a row- at least I did it once all the way through. Next time I'll get through it, no problem.

I hope you guys have a better workout today than I did! And Janis, keep an eye out for those cougars (and I'm not talking about one of the real housewives of Orange County, either!)

Last edited:
Guys, I'm so embarrassed! :eek: Today was C25K, week 4, first time doing it. I just couldn't finish the final 5-minute run. I gave up after about 2 minutes. I walked for a few minutes, and tried again. I gave up again after about 20 seconds. I had a really restless night last night, and felt really really foggy and tired in the morning. I woke up an hour late, which meant that the only way I was getting my run in was to run to work, which I haven't done it a while. That means that I had to run with a pack, which I also haven't done in a while. I think the combination of a humid day, lack of good sleep and running with a pack did me in. This is the first C25K workout this has happened with. Now I'm feeling like maybe I can't finish this program and maybe I won't be successful with C25K.

Okay, deep breath: I'm going to keep doing this week's workout until I've done it three times all the way through, successfully, before moving on. This was my first time in my whole life running 5 minutes in a row- at least I did it once all the way through. Next time I'll get through it, no problem.

I hope you guys have a better workout today than I did! And Janis, keep an eye out for those cougars (and I'm not talking about one of the real housewives of Orange County, either!)

Morningstar, cut yourself some slack! :D:D You have accomplished soooo much! More than most people are capable of plus you persist with your fitness goals. Burning off 100 pounds is AWESOME! Having a rough couple of days every month is a small blip compared to the big picture. :) Besides we ALL occasionally have not so great workouts and feel like wimps - even Sean O confesses to having mediocre runs/workouts. (wish you slept better though:(.)

Love the positive self talk in the second paragraph! Keep that dialogue going!

Yikes - me doing fitness figure...yikes...(like you said "on stage in my skivvies!") I did see a pic of a girl who looks similar to me, yet she doesn't have a layer of fat along inner thigh/knee. And here's a question - what about stretch marks!? My first pregnancy I went from 105 to 180#:eek: my stretch marks have stretch marks. Right now the ones on my butt have collected into folds bwtn the glutes and thighs, you know the area right below the cheek. I look like a shar pei, or an accordian, or a polka skirt!!:eek::eek:;) (how many conflicting emoticons can I throw in there?) Besides dh would absolutely die if I went 'public'. (but it is my private goal to "look as if I could compete".)

My calories - gosh - for a week I was eating around 1700 - 2000 and LOST weight. For the last few days, lower activity days, I have been eating around 1400. I am going to switcheroo my meals and go from there. I do need to tweak the numbers again based on lean body mass, but since I still have large pockets of visible fat I think I still need a deficit. Upping my cardio has really made a difference. And like I have said before - I am the sort of person who thrives on cardio for energy.

Now I gotta go work up a sweat! :)

Toronto or Bust,

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Jenn;)

Welcome Jenn!

I am a newbie golfer - patience is right! Patience so I don't yell at the pushy folks coming up behind me on the green! Can't they see I need to think!. LOL!

I am looking forward to hearing more about your life, your goals, and the Hudson Valley. :)

Janis - Your run sounds like my ideal! I would love to have access to a place like that to run! I could really get into a forest run! I'd take my chances with the wildlife!

Do you have any problems throwing your sneaks into the wash? I'm always afraid to do that. Maybe I should just throw in the liner on bottom?

You can swing to my house first, clean for me, then we can pile into the car and head up to Toronto! How's that for a plan? ;)

As for my run with DH -

1. Woke up tired - not a good start!
2. It was hot as you-know-what out today and quite humid!

Not a good start, but I used my inhaler before we left the house. We went to a different spot today. There's a great tree covered area in the East side of Providence that has a walking/running track right down the middle so you don't have to worry about cars. It's all grass on both sides and runs down between the four lanes of the street. It's really nice!

I did my customary stretching first and warm-up walk. Then, it began. We started running and I knew right away I was in trouble. He's a speed demon! I was able to stay modestly behind him and he kept circling the benches and tress to come back to me, grinning all the way, the show off! :p

By the time I had even made it half a mile, I was wheezing and huffing and puffing, but I kept on going! I made it to the end of the street and started walking from there to catch my breath and get my HR down just a bit. That was only at the 2.2 km mark! He was killing me! After about another 8/10 of a km, I started running again. I had to take one more break and finished the last 1.25 km running. His pace was just too fast for me! :eek: Gives me something to work towards!

Of course, he said that wasn't even his actual running speed! Yeah, just rubbed it right in! That's okay. I've only been doing this for a few months and as for a steady state run, only probably a few weeks!

The sensor did great! We compared notes. DH uses a gps program on his iPhone and we were very, very close to the same measurements. I downloaded my results when I got home. I love it! It hooks right up to iTunes and automatically downloads directly to Nike+ - I can then immediately go there and check my stats. I've only used it twice now, but I would certainly not have a problem recommending the Nike Sport Kit! The calorie count was a little bit lower, but I don't start the Nike receiver until after my warm-up so I can measure just my actual run distance with that, so I have to add my warm-up and cool down cals to the Nike cals to see where it lands and it's only about 20-30 cals lower than what my HRM measures. Not too bad!

So, that's my story for today. I obviously have a long way to go! Now, to find a training program that will help me increase my pace!

NOPE! I just take the insoles out. Asics are mesh so they dry quickly.

LOL! We'll sit around while we watch Christine clean, then off to pick up Jenn and next stop, running with drunks in downtown Toronto! LOL!

Your run sounded great! I loved reading about it! Maybe running with dh isn't such a morale building idea though! LOL!

And thanks for the review on the Nike+ sensor. Sounds great and so affordable.

Everyone is welcome no matter when they start up with us, so Jenn Welcome!!!!

This morning was sort of a mix match of jumping jacks and a little step (front step to be exact) and lateral jogging up and down the drive way. It was too dark to really use my dirt track so I just stayed close to the house. I did a 5 min warmup and then 20 minutes of 1 min of jogging 30 seconds of jumping jacks and then walk to bring the HR back to 150. It was fun. All of this at 5 am. Oh my. Still, I got up at 4:30 and it was ok. The only problem was I kept waking up all night thinking I was going to miss the alarm. lol. Broken sleep for no reason.

Thats good to know about the iPhone. There are two iPhones in the house that I can borrow.

Alisha

Everyone is welcome no matter when they start up with us, so Jenn Welcome!!!!

This morning was sort of a mix match of jumping jacks and a little step (front step to be exact) and lateral jogging up and down the drive way. It was too dark to really use my dirt track so I just stayed close to the house. I did a 5 min warmup and then 20 minutes of 1 min of jogging 30 seconds of jumping jacks and then walk to bring the HR back to 150. It was fun. All of this at 5 am. Oh my. Still, I got up at 4:30 and it was ok. The only problem was I kept waking up all night thinking I was going to miss the alarm. lol. Broken sleep for no reason.

Thats good to know about the iPhone. There are two iPhones in the house that I can borrow.

Alisha

Excellent drill workout Alisha! Are you still getting smoke from the Santa Cruz behemoth?

Hey - please instruct me on insulin triggering foods and fat storage. I remember a while back you responded to an OD item I posted and you mentioned carrots being a trigger food for localized storage...and other estrogenic foods. Pretty please share more of your knowledge with us insulin sensitive girls.:)

Hey Ladies

I am back from my sweat filled morning. My workout schedule for this week is a little scrambled as my sister is coming up here for a day visit and then Friday she wants me to meet her for a spa day.

So, today I did 4dsplit kickbox, I ate, then I did gym styles. Tomorrow, before she arrives, I am going to do an interval run, (aiming for 6miles since my run yesterday was curtailed.) We are going to go wild blackberry picking, then I am going to teach her to make blackberry peach pie.

Christine did you run today? I just love your avatar! So sweet. That is you, right?

And a shout out to any runners I have neglected in my posts today, last week and beyond! Would love to hear from each and all! Remember to check in! :)

DO NOT give up on yourself after one bad run. It was hot, humid, you were carrying something and you didn't sleep well. You did what you could and the next time you will do better.

Jenn

Don't get discouraged!

#1 - You had a tough night, which made your morning kind of laggy (is that a word?)

#2 - Today was an unbelievably horrible day for breathing, much less running with the humidity AND the heat so bad!

#3 - Remember - This is about where I had a hard time! I ran week 4 twice through before going on to week 5, so don't feel badly about having a difficult time of it for all of these reasons.

Take your time. You don't have to finish in exactly the 9 weeks the program is for. It took me at least 10 weeks! Keep working week 4 until you are comfortable with it, then move on. I think once we get past this heat wave, you'll find it to be much easier to get through! Especially once you've had a good night's rest!

Don't give up! I know you can do it! Go back and stick one day of week 3 in there if you have to just to give yourself a good run day, then go back to week 4. Whatever works! You'll be fine, just take your time and don't beat yourself up so much! You're doing great! :D

Hello runners!

Welcome, Jenn!! I got excited when I read your post because I live in the Hudson Valley, NY area too! I wonder if we are neighbors! ;) I actually DO have a neighbor named Jenn!!

MStar, I see the great advice you've gotten already and I'm not surprised with how great the gals in this check-in are :)D), but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I agree with the others, don't be so hard on yourself! I know that is much easier said than done, but you are already running out of your comfort zone by doing these intervals to begin with, and then add to that the weight pack, lack of sleep, and humidity (which does just about anyone in)! Sounds like your circumstances would make for a less than stellar run for any of us! Look at the positive side, you made it through the first 5 minute run! I came to a point where I felt like quitting too because I never thought I could do it, but it can be done! Just keep trying and you WILL make it! You cannot quit! I forbid it! I will not come and clean your house if you do! ;) Oh yeah, about that, since you live in Canada, that is going to be one expensive house-cleaning for me to make the trip! :p :p Seriously though, I hope you are feeling better tonight!

Janis, thanks for the compliment! That is me and my hubby on our wedding day! :D We got married in April 2008. Ooooh, spa day!!! That sounds like so much fun, I love that type of stuff!

Tricia, how nice that your run with your hubby! My hubby always gloats that he can run faster than me, but then I always remind him that even so - I can run farther! I'm the tortiose (sp?) and he's the hare! :p

Today's workout was Week 6, Day 1 of C25K. I ran 5 minutes, walked a few (forget how many), ran 8 minutes, walked a few, ran 5 minutes, then cool down. I struggled today because I've been battling a sore throat. I feel okay, just a bit sluggish. I also did GS Chest/Triceps (timesaver premix), Ab Jam Floor Abs, and a good long stretch with Slim & Limber.

:D

Sounds like everyone got in some great workouts today! I pooped out today. :eek::( It was the whole too much to do thing again! Not to mention the H&H (heat and humidity).

I ended up going to the grocery store for salad makings and fruit, then it was off to pick up some prescriptions for me and my beagle, Milo. He has to be on anti-seizure medication. Stopped at the post office to drop off the office mail, then home, put up groceries let my babies inside, set the trash out for tomorrow, (whew!) came back inside, changed clothes and collapsed on the couch!

I'll get back on it tomorrow! Promise!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.