New Runners Check-In; All Runners Welcome! August 10, 2009

Its Thursday already?

This evening its 4-DS Back/Chest. Tomorrow is BC and Saturday is KB.

Janis- I have about 52 pounds do lose. Its an adventure, the last time I was 130 pounds I was in the 4th grade. :eek: I'm getting better about vigilance. This plateau has been 8 months now. It began because of antibiotics and a kidney/bladder infection. I'm really back in the game now. One of the tricks I'm using is adding more healthy oils, that seems to be helping because I err on the side of too few calories.

I don't do alcohol either, I don't like the way it makes me feel and I put on weight with that yuck, I would rather have ice cream if I'm going to be putting on weight anyway.

Syzygy- Lucky Hubby!

MStar- Yeah, the chili recipe takes forever but its tasty.

I forget who asked but my weight rotation is a combination of intense yoga and circuits. I will post a link to my blog/rotation. http://edhdiet.blogspot.com/

Hey guys!

I need help mentally preparing myself for tomorrow's 20 minute run!! :eek: I've been reading some posts on the C25K forums and most people there say that it's a mental block, but physically this program really prepares you for it and should be able to do it. I guess I will do what I always do, start running (jogging ;)) and see how far my feet take me!

Janis, I'm not sure the best way to learn step. I've been stepping for like 15 years and I can't remember how or when I learned it! It's probably because I started with other instructors. Maybe you can find a non-Cathe step DVD to start with because she seems to have the most complicated routines I've ever come across. I have to admit it's really easy for me to catch on to though. I really don't know why! I've heard others say to take one segment at a time and just keep doing it over and over until you get it, then move on. Oh, I can relate to being so hungry that I get frantic! Especially if my sugar is low, I'm like a mad woman until I eat, LOL.

Tricia, were you able to get outside for a run? It was raining here today too, most of the day. Sounds like you had a really nice time for your hubby's birthday!

Alicia, I feel for you! I get frequent bladder infections and they are not fun!! Thank God it's actually been a while since I've had one, but those antibiotics can really mess you up. I don't like taking them, especially not often. Drinking tons of water should keep your bladder nice and flushed! They also recommend cranberry juice, but I don't like the way it tastes!

MStar, how is your foot?? Your new rotation looks nice and balanced!

No run for me today. I did an old workout on VHS called "Your Personal Best" with Karen Voight. A friend of mine from the forums gave it to me when I was looking for some easier workouts. It's definitely for a beginner, but I liked it. It's a circuit workout with cardio & weights. I wasn't up for anything challenging today, so this was perfect!

Have a great night everyone! :D

Ahhhh! No one has been on the forums to encourage me?? :p I'm heading out in about 15 minutes to attempt my 20 min run! I went back and forth with the idea of bringing my dog (she's been running with me for every run up until today), and my husband convinced me that she'll be fine. Our vet said it's fine too. I really want to keep running with her! She's an australian cattle dog, made for endurance work, so I know she'll be fine, maybe just bored because she'd much prefer chasing something (frisbee, balls, etc), rather than running a straight line, LOL.

BBL to let you know how I do! :)

Christine: Sorry I missed helping you out on your 20 minute run for this morning! I'm cheering you on right now! Although, you're probably already done and doing your Rocky dance! I'm sure it went fine!

I also didn't get out for my run! :mad: It didn't stop raining until I had been home for abut 45 minutes and I was in the midst of domestic hell! I hate housework! I need a Roomba that does everything!

I'm definitely getting out there today! It is sunny and beautiful! Tomorrow might be a problem. Have to take my car in for it's oil change and since we have to be way "down south" in the State, we're going to the beach so my DH can surf (waves allowing) or to the park so he can get some diving in. Then, tomorrow evening it's Shakespeare in the Vineyard. Hope I can squeeze a run in! If not, I'm out there again on Sunday!

Janis: If you want to learn step, try finding some old Reebok beginner's dvds. What you want are the basic steps. I'll look around and see if I have anything. They might be in VHS, but don't laugh! Yes, I was around for the beginning! :eek::p

Hey guys!

I need help mentally preparing myself for tomorrow's 20 minute run!! :eek: I've been reading some posts on the C25K forums and most people there say that it's a mental block, but physically this program really prepares you for it and should be able to do it. I guess I will do what I always do, start running (jogging ;)) and see how far my feet take me!

Janis, I'm not sure the best way to learn step. I've been stepping for like 15 years and I can't remember how or when I learned it! It's probably because I started with other instructors. Maybe you can find a non-Cathe step DVD to start with because she seems to have the most complicated routines I've ever come across. I have to admit it's really easy for me to catch on to though. I really don't know why! I've heard others say to take one segment at a time and just keep doing it over and over until you get it, then move on. Oh, I can relate to being so hungry that I get frantic! Especially if my sugar is low, I'm like a mad woman until I eat, LOL.

Tricia, were you able to get outside for a run? It was raining here today too, most of the day. Sounds like you had a really nice time for your hubby's birthday!

Alicia, I feel for you! I get frequent bladder infections and they are not fun!! Thank God it's actually been a while since I've had one, but those antibiotics can really mess you up. I don't like taking them, especially not often. Drinking tons of water should keep your bladder nice and flushed! They also recommend cranberry juice, but I don't like the way it tastes!

MStar, how is your foot?? Your new rotation looks nice and balanced!

No run for me today. I did an old workout on VHS called "Your Personal Best" with Karen Voight. A friend of mine from the forums gave it to me when I was looking for some easier workouts. It's definitely for a beginner, but I liked it. It's a circuit workout with cardio & weights. I wasn't up for anything challenging today, so this was perfect!

Have a great night everyone! :D

We did it!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D :)

I had to fight the self defeating thoughts in the beginning and just kept one foot in front of the other. Once the podcast guy said "You just finished half the run!!" something inside me was like "I can do this!!!" and I had no worries from that moment until we finished! My dog held up very well too. I feel like I can do anything today! Is that cheesy? HA!

Tricia - I was laughing at your "rocky dance" comment, I should have totally done that when I was done!! ha ha :) Hey, if we live close to each other, I'll come clean your home! I am one of those weird people who enjoy housework, ha ha. Although I wouldn't mind a Roomba either!! Everyday the floors are covered in hair from the pets, but it comes with the territory! I just hate how it looks like I didn't even vacuum like 10 minutes after I'm done, LOL. Have a great run today!

Hellos to everyone!!

I had to fight the self defeating thoughts in the beginning and just kept one foot in front of the other. Once the podcast guy said "You just finished half the run!!" something inside me was like "I can do this!!!" and I had no worries from that moment until we finished! My dog held up very well too. I feel like I can do anything today! Is that cheesy? HA!

Tricia - I was laughing at your "rocky dance" comment, I should have totally done that when I was done!! ha ha :) Hey, if we live close to each other, I'll come clean your home! I am one of those weird people who enjoy housework, ha ha. Although I wouldn't mind a Roomba either!! Everyday the floors are covered in hair from the pets, but it comes with the territory! I just hate how it looks like I didn't even vacuum like 10 minutes after I'm done, LOL. Have a great run today!

Hellos to everyone!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! job well done! You did it! you did it! you did it!

Wish I had been on sooner to encourage you before your run! Know that you are never alone!!!

I wish I had a dog to run with (and a garmin forerunner). Right now I am trying to convince myself to run the forest/fire road loop....but I am{{{ skeerd,}}}}, so I'll probably just use the boring ol' treadmill.

Man oh man, I know what you mean by 10 minutes after you finish vacuuming it needs to be done again! Lol. I live with four guys and two long hair cats.

Hey, thanks for you tips on acclimating to step routines. :):):)

Enjoy your top-of-the-world endorphin-infused lung expanding energy high today!

Hi Ladies!

I am back from my run. When I went out to the treadmill I was still struggling with boredom and apathy. After running outside in DC I feel really motivated to find a safe place to do a steady state run outside, but since I haven't found that place yet, I was in a quandary. What to do, what to do. I started running and decided to do CCv7, then when the first challenge started I decided that I would make this an interval run day instead of a recovery run day. The treadmill is perfect for intervals, and intervals make treadmills less boring!

57:46 minutes, 6.336 miles hrm -"372k", tm "1039k", actual k burn is somewhere in between (I'm hoping:)). The actual run time of ccv7 is 60minutes, but I stop the treadmill whenever I have a drink of water or a quick towel off, that way my numbers are based solely on run time.

Hey Morningstar, did you run today? How is your pf foot? How's work??

Alisha, thanks for the link to your blog. I 'heard' your frustration about breaking through your plateau. I know you are well read on diet/fitness/exercise, but I thought I would add that one thing Tom and his group at the Burn the Fat Inner Circle recommend is to eat at maintenance calories for a week, and then dig back into calorie deficit. You've probably already had your hormones, thyroid etc.. checked....right? BTW your rotation looks interesting and fun. Oh and one question if you don't mind, do you happen to know anyone who is interested in b/w darkroom equipment? I am packing up mine.

Tricia - nice weather sure makes the world a better place!!! How did your run go? Your weekend plans sound fun! Thanks for the Reebok step video tip. Maybe I should just do some noodling around on the internet, perhaps I'll find a primer of sorts.

Christine - congratulations again!!!!!

Ok, I am off to do Gym Style legs. :D Should be interesting!

Last edited:

Hellos to everyone!!

You enjoy housework???? Well, baby, do I have a treat for you! I hate housework with the passion of a soap opera diva. And my house shows it! Feel free to show up on my doorstep with a mop and bucket!

Guys, my HIIT run today SUCKED! I just had so little energy. Even getting out of bed was hard - I just told myself, "do what you intended to do" and got my butt off the mattress and went and did it anyway.

I don't know what was wrong, except that I had major issues with my blood sugar yesterday (I had to have a business lunch at a restaurant that only had one vegetarian meal available- and it was white rice, no healthy fats or protein. Reactive hypoglycemia hit hard, but not as hard as I think it would have done without the L-Glutamine). However, I did complete the run, just at a lower, more excrutiating level. My back hurts now, but I don't think it's serious.

The low energy continued on to work, except that I got slammed very quickly and had to use my brain insanely hard right off, so I couldn't even think about being low energy.

The foot is a bit better. I changed my walking shoes, and that may have done the trick. I will incorporate PF exercises and stretches into my routine to ward it off in the future.

Christine, truly, congrats on your 20 minute run! That's such a dream for me right now and your progress inspires me. As for encouragement, you learned that you could encourage yourself when no one was there for you- that's a very valuable lesson, and much more important than anything we could have said!

SUCKED! I just had so little energy. Even getting out of bed was hard - I just told myself, "do what you intended to do" and got my butt off the mattress and went and did it anyway.

The low energy continued on to work, except that I got slammed very quickly and had to use my brain insanely hard right off, so I couldn't even think about being low energy.

Low energy days are such an impediment! I know how you feel. I really do, sort of like a vampire has sucked all your blood out, and some witch has cast a gloomy spell.

Well - I found this this morning and it made me smile, huge, I played it five times before ds19 snapped at me. LOL. :D Too bad it is only a minute long, I'm looking for a longer version. Watch (if you can at work) the facial expressions/eyes of the hippo! love it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1811233136844420765&hl=en

Congratulations Christine! I knew you could do it! {Rocky Dance} There, a Rocky Dance for you! :D

I didn't accomplish much tonight. It was a beautiful day, but I just got the Nike+ Sport Kit and I spent my workout calibrating it to my stride, then I did a 10 minute practice run with it to see how it did. I love it! Plus, it didn't interfere with my HRM, so I can wear both - yes, the Nike kit does calculate calories also, but not HR. Can't wait to do a full run and compare the calorie calculation.

I have SOOOO turned into a running geek! Now, I want Nike sneaks so I can just put my sensor in the bottom of my shoe. Right now I have a strap that has a pocket that the sensor goes in and it velcros to my shoelaces. It works like a charm, but, well, you know . . . :eek: Gotta have the whole set! I also want the wrist remote! That's a little more expensive, so have to wait. Maybe Santa will bring it!

Anyway, it was hot and I got a bit of a run in between calibrating and my last km at the end! It was still an over 500 calorie burn workout, so I'm not too upset! Tomorrow or Sunday, it's a full 3 miles with my DH and trying to keep up with him! Wish me luck! ;)

Hellos to everyone!!

Morningstar:

Sorry you had such an off day. It's got to really stink to have so much out of balance so easily.

I'm a believer in holistic treatments! Wish I were close enough to give some reflexology treatments to all of you! I love doing it and it's great not just for the feet, but for the whole energy system and the mind!

Hello runners! Thanks for the congrats on my run (jog ;)) everyone! :D

Janis, I know what you mean about finding a safe place to run. I'm fortunate that the park I go to is only about 7 minutes from my house (I could probably jog there, HA!). I feel safe there because it's quite open and public. The maintenance people are always mowing the lawn or working the grounds, there are golfers, and other runners and people walking their dogs. I'd like to do it at a trail about 15 minutes from our house, but it's more private and wooded, so I don't feel too safe there, even with my dog. It's too bad because there is SO MUCH more shade there!!!

MStar, if we live close to each other I WILL come and clean for you!! :) I got laid off in January and I've become quite a top notch housewife if I do say so myself, hee! But seriously, I'm always looking for productive things to do to keep myself busy and since I enjoy cleaning I figure, why not help others out! How is your energy level today? Sorry you were feeling that bad!

Tricia, did you run with your hubby today? I'm hoping Santa brings me lots of little exercise related toys myself! :p I'd like a HRM and I'm also hoping for some power blocks for women that increase in 1lb incriments. >> Did I spell that word right?

No workouts or runs for me today, I actually like to take the weekends off to do stuff around the house with my hubby. We're working on finishing up our dining room project. We remodeled the whole thing, it's coming along nicely!

Have a great weekend!

Hi Everyone!

Today is a recovery day for me. I am planning on doing Rodney Yee, Power Yoga, but as the morning wears on - I can feel the tendrils of lethargy grabbing hold. Must fight those off! I know I will feel much looser and more limber after wards, it is that first 5 or 10 minutes - yawn - slow - boring. :D

Hi Christine, my safety issues with running are more to do with large hairy things. Mountain Lions and mexican cartel marijuana growers. LOL:D I know people who carry a sidearm when they go hiking! YIKES! A gun might hamper my ability to sprint. I picked up a map yesterday and studied the fire road loop. I think I can do a 7 mile loop around the perimeter that looks pretty safe. I am trying to convince dh to walk it with me. If that doesn't work out, I am going to talk to the CDF guys at the heliport. (California Dept of Forestry.)

Morningstar, how are you doing today? :)

Tricia, I so want that NIKE sensor, I didn't realize you could use it with any shoes! Please report back your results!!!

Alisha, in your reading/research about insulin and fat storage, what have you learned about cycling carbs, trigger foods, how to mobilize and burn off stored fat etc??? I have pockets of stubborn fat, I am busily trying to sort out an acton plan and I could use your input.

Have a great day one and all!

Hey ladies,

I slept about 9 hours last night, and man did I need it! Today was Max Intensity Strength. Now that I'm feeling back in the swing of lifting, I lifted heavier and quite enjoyed it.

That Nike sensor sounds intriguing, but I think I would skip the shoes. I have a hard time finding the right shoes, and I would rather have the perfect shoes with an accessory.

You guys all have such interesting places to run in. I run early in the morning in Toronto, so it's all big buildings and sidewalks for me. I love Toronto and I really appreciate all its greenery, but sometimes it doesn't feel like enough wilderness- except for the big parks, of course.

Oh, Christine, you have no idea what you are offering! :eek: Don't worry, I won't hold you to that- it wouldn't be fair to make anyone clean this place that wasn't being paid large sums of money (which, of course, is my excuse for not cleaning it myself!)

Tricia, tell me more about reflexology; it has something to do with massaging feet or hands, and it has an effect elsewhere in the body, right?

Tomorrow's a rest day (read: errand day!) so have fun and I'll see ya on Monday!

DH and I are running tomorrow. We ended up trying to go out for a dive day today (see thread in Open Discussion "Is it just me - or are people REALLY that stupid" for more details).

Janis: Just enjoy your recovery day whether you do your yoga or not!

Morningstar: I'm glad you got a good night's sleep! I think it was the night for it, as I, too, had the best night's sleep I've had in quite a while!

As to the Nike sensor - I picked up a strap that has a pocket for it on Amazon for $8 and change and it's sturdy, protective and fits tightly on my laces. Now, my DH wants one, too! Luckily for him, with his 3rd gen iPhone, the receiver is built in, so all he needs is the sensor. I set up my Nike account and downloaded my test run from last night on it. It's so cool! Technology is so wonderful! I love techno tools! Especially the ones that aid my workouts!

DH and I will go out tomorrow to run together! Wish me lots of luck on that one! I'm going to try to keep up with him! I'll let you know how that goes and how the sensor does.

I said I like techno tools, right? Then, why can't I get my weight tracker to show up in my signature? Wah! :( (Hee, hee - guess I'll get it figured out eventually! :eek:)

and yep, you did figure it out, Tricia!

Woo-Hoo!

Also, I realized on my way home from our Shakespeare outing that I forgot to talk to you about reflexology. My memory gets proportionately worse with each year I age! ;)

It's a holistic treatment that uses gentle pressure on the feet to stimulate the nervous system, lymphatic system, some pressure points and the energy system of the body to create relaxation, balance of mind, body and energy. Some people even find that it helps them with sleep issues. I am a reflexologist and a Reiki practitioner and firmly believe in the use of these systems to aid and compliment regular medical treatment to help the body help itself.

You should really check it out, do some research, try a treatment and see if you like it! Be sure to check out the reflexologist. I have heard some horror stories! Only because there are several methods out there and some are more forceful than others. Korean methods and some other Asian methods are painful due to the fact that most of the people in those countries have very thick soles on their feet from the work they do and shoes or lack thereof, so the pressure to treat the feet must be considerable. So, unless you like that kind of pain, you should ask your reflexologist about their method or what school the were trained at.

Any other questions, just PM me!

Sunday

Good morning!

I went for my steady state/recovery run in the forest, maybe 2.5 -3 miles, lots and lots of hill climbs and descents, which I had to run serpentine style. I'll have to do the 7 mile forest road loop another day. My dh was concerned for my safety, so he came with me. He walked the last half behind me, and became even more concerned when he saw huge feline paw prints along the ROAD!:eek:

Some of the paths were like deep piles of reddish brown cake flour, my Asics went directly into the washing machine when I came home.

Hey Tricia - how did the nike+ sensor work out??? Was it accurate? I am dying to know! And how was your run with DH?

Morningstar, between Tricia, Christine and me - you'd have a pretty good thing going! Tricia could do healing/bodywork on you, Christine could clean your house, and I could cook/bake vegetarian meals for you. Toronto here we come! lol.:D

I am thinking about buying an ebook download from Lyle McDonald, Stubborn Fat, he outlines programs to follow for targeting the fat that is difficult to mobilize and burn off. Has anyone read his stuff? I'm not sure I am the reader he is targeting with his book, I am NOT heading towards fitness/figure competition.

Now to do vacuuming and mopping. Happy happy joy joy.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.