mamas check in here! 2/23---->

jen, i only have a sec but def call the hosp's lac consultant or lll. both will see you no charge. lll - no charge if you show up at their mtgs. you can get infection.
change nursing positions.....football if youve been doing cradle. even sidelying.
in the meantime....youre doing the right thing - air dry, lotsa lanolin. i got badly cracked w/ julia. i put on TONS of this homeopathic goo & i went around topless....was better in a couple days.
good luck!

thank you, i only have a minute
but is it normal for newborns to sleep pretty much all day?
also at the hops. she was nursing 30-45 min per breast but now its like 10. i had to wake her up most of the day just to eat and then after 5-10mins she falls back asleep. finally i had to keep waking her and we got one good long section in and then later this evenin on the other side i managed to get 15 min out of her by waking her to finish.

so is it normal to sleep that much?
and is it normal to nurse a lot less? My breast got harder and firmer and bigger last nite so im assuming my milk came in. do they eat less with milk than they did with colustrum?

i may be worrying too much but i dont want to do anything wrong with the baby and i want to make sure she is getting all she needs..tia

Hi Jen
It is totally normal for Eva to be sleeping a lot. A good trick to keep her sucking is to stroke her cheek when she starts to fall asleep. Welcome to mommyhood you will be worrying about every move she makes;)

Candra

LOL thanks Candra
Is it normal for her nursing time to be less tho?
I have tried stroking her cheek changing positions etc and it works for a while but she doesnt nurse near as long as at the hospital. im wondering if its becuase my milk came in and it fills her up quicker?

jen
your milk is more filling. as long as she has wet diapers you will know she is getting enough milk. i know it's stressful not knowing how much she is getting but trust me if she is hungry she will let you know:D

candra

Jen--Try tickling her feet. Whenever my boys fell asleep feeding, I'd tickle their feet and it would wake them right up. Hope the nursing is going well! And yes, sleeping all the time is a normal (and wonderful) part about newborns! Enjoy her restime!! I have found that as soon as they start sleeping through the night, their daytime naps become much shorter and spaced out.

Hi to everyone else!! I had a non-workout/not wonderful eating weekend, so I'm back on the wagon today. I"m having some issues with AF, which just came last week and seems to want to come back today. UGH!! I go to the doc March 11 so I plan on asking what's up. Oh, have any of you ever had a mamogram? I'm due for my first one this year (age 35) and don't know what to expect.

Have a great Monday, gals!

stephanie, no mammos here! cant say id be looking forward to that appt!:eek:
are you excited for spring break coming up? i am!!!

howdy! sorry to be a slacker friend the last week or so. I have been busy busy.. we are going to be moving sooner than later now so it could be 6 weeks or so and dh leaves in 8 weeks SO just trying to get things done. Once he's gone I'll be around a lot for sure!

Jen~it is normal for her to nurse less because in the hospital she was getting very little and all the nursing helps bring your milk in. Now that the milk is coming in she is getting much mroe milk in less time so she shouldn't eat as long. Very normal! I agree w/ Kate try diffrent positions. I found the football hold would make me less sore and if I was sore I could nurse in that position and it hurt less. Hang in there it gets way better!

Maggie~looks like you have been getting some great workouts in! I have had that happen with weight loss. The same for a bit then drop some fast then stay the same for a week or two.. you are doing awesome!

Stephanie~ick about AF.. I bet your body is just trying to get back into the swing of things. I have never had a mammogram yet.. not looking forward to it when I need one though..

Hiya Candra, Kate, and Wendy..

I am back on track now and DH is in the field all week so eating should be good. I swear he makes me eat bad.. lol We are flying home to VA on the 23rd to visit famiy before DH leaves. I want to try to lose 4-5 lbs before then so I am big time motivated for the next 3 weeks it's all good eating and working out for me. : )

Jen - Just make sure you're feeding her at least every 2 hrs and she's having wet diapers and her pee is clear. Dark pee is a sign of dehydration. Like others said, tickle her feet and do whatever to wake her up more. If her latch is good and you can hear her swallowing, 10-15 min on each breast is good.

I promise to be back for personals! Busy here!

Lisa

Hi ladies. I'm back. My company left. It was my husband's cousin. She's nice and all (a bit older and single...not by choice) but since we aren't as close as say I am with my brothers or siblings-in-law, I sort of had to entertain her the whole time. When our siblings are here, we feel like we can take naps and stuff and they can entertain themselves (we have lots of entertainment options here at the house even) but that wasn't the case. Also, closer family members make themselves more at home and cook their own breakfast/lunch (I mean, bagels, cereals, and sandwiches...and even snacks) but she had me cook/prepare all her stuff. I told her to make herself at home and that I'm a bad hostess, but oh well. At least she got her own drinks. Half the time I have DH running around the house getting drinks for me with the nursing and all and it would have REALLY annoyed me to get her drinks. She held Zoey a lot, which was okay, but wouldn't change a single diaper! Not a biggie. I guess what bothered me was she kept waking Z up to talk to her and Zoey got quite over-stimulated, leading to some difficult bedtimes. That, and I AM NOW SICK!

DH got sick last week and he tried so hard to stay away from me. He stayed in his computer room most of the time and even went in a separate room to blow his nose. He did still sleep with me, but faced the other direction (we have a tempurpedic mattress and he really needs that for his back and neck) But Thursday night while I was sitting up in bed nursing Z in the middle of the night, he accidentally sneezed all over my face! I started feeling off the next day...which could also be why I was not so thrilled with having company and not being able to take naps. So here we are, DH starting to get over this bug and me getting it, having to take care of Z and try not to get her sick and entertain his cousin. UGH! Then she thought she wouldn't be able to go home yesterday because of all the snow up north, but she made it. Thank God!

I felt a bit better yesterday and after DH got home and company left, I did STS disc 1 followed by no equiptment abs. This morning I woke up with a head that feels like it is going to explode and tons of mucus in my chest. Today was supposed to be IMAX2, but I don't think I'll get around to that. Way too intense. I may skip a workout today or just take Z for a walk later if I feel up to it. I have a feeling I'll just stay in and try to rest though. I'm keeping her in her bouncy chair as much as possible to try and not get her sick. I did break down and take pseudophed, which is okay with nursing, but may lower supply, but may not.,...but I just couldn't take it any longer! DH is going to Target after work to pick up a humidifier, more tissues, and some fenugreek tea (which I know helps supply but kellymom.com also says can help head and chest congestion) so hopefully I won't have a lowered milk supply. I don't want Z to get sick!

Hopefully resting today will allow me to do STS disc 2 tomorrow. I loved disc 1 although I suck at pushups and ended up doing most of them on my knees...oh well, something to work on.

Jen, congrats on the baby. As the second most recent mommy here (compared to you) I can tell you that the first 2 weeks were the worst pain wise and then it got much better. I applied lanolin after every feeding and let my nips air dry. I also applied it before a shower. DH wasn't allowed to go near them and they were so tender and bright pink. I think I kept up the lanolin for another week or two, but now at 7 weeks I haven't needed it for the past few weeks. Oh, and Z has gone back and forth with longer nursings and shorter sessions. Right now she's onto much shorter sessions, sometimes as short as 5-6 minutes, but as they get more efficient, sometimes thats all it takes. Trying to force her to eat more just makes her mad. I have noticed that as it gets later in the day she nurses for longer periods of time, but I think that has more to do with comfort than food. Also, up until just last week, she seemed to get really irritable at night like I wasn't giving her enough food. I learned that late evening is usually the time of day when the milk supply is the least and middle of the night it is the highest. Now it has evened out and she seems to get all she needs, but I did end up supplementing like 2oz of formula for about 3 nights at about week 4 or 5. She was trying to nurse every 15 minutes then but I just wasn't making enough.

Sorry for the novel. With Z in her bouncy (and asleep...maybe she if fighting off this bug...she's slept all morning with wakings just for feeding and diaper changes...or maybe she's catching up since our cousin kept her up so much this weekend) I can type with both hands.

Oh, will try to get back for more personals later. I need to get some work done. I started a med school rotation yesterday...fluffy and from home, but still need to do work. It is called "Creativity in Medicine" and is basically a writing workshop led by a doc who quit practicing to write exclusively. My project this month will be to prepare a Grand Rounds presentation (for April 2nd) about a patient experience I had (I can tell ya'll about it later if your interested) that posed an ethical delimma/I had to overstep my med student bounds to get her proper treatment. I'm also going to write an essay about it and enter it in a contest. ($5000 prize)

Becky

busymomtrish:D, wow!!
enjoy your time w/ dh....

becky, evryone heres been sick too...except for me. j got a snotty nose over the w/e but its clearing up now. i hate that...makes it so hard for them to nurse
i suck at pushups too...have them tonight in disk10.

gosh i feel so out of the loop not doing STS along with ya'll!

jen, i hope you are spending lots of time topless lol and healing quickly.

becky - sorry things were not so relaxed with your company and you are not feeling well.

we are also fighting colds. my jj has the full on snotty nose but at least i suck it out with the bulb thingy. boy does he hate that! i've been ok enough to work out though. this was going to be my rest day but i am in the mood for yoga...

howdy to all the other ladies

wendy

Been really busy and have not even worked out in a week. Starting to feel depressed! Anyway, Target is opening tomorrow - yes we had none prior!

Hoping to do some workout tonight.

Steph - Thought 40 was the mammo age?

Kate - I used to be good at push ups.

Oh I was thrilled to not see AF in Feb!!

Hi everyone!!

Lisa

wendy, I dont bother w/ the bulb....doesnt seem to get out enough to make it worht the hassle. maybe I'm just really bad at it!

Lisa, You are gonna LUUUUUV Target!:cool:
And THAT STINKS about af!!!

did sts10 tonight. I'm looking forward to a rest week next week. lOts of Classical Stretch!

Hi ladies--

I'm fighting off a cold/flu. It hit ds 14 really hard, but I'm hoping and praying I don't get it. I was feeling a little weak this morning when I did disk 4 (2nd time round), but I was able to complete it just fine.

I saw the gyn today for my yearly and he says everything looks fine. I need to have the dreaded mammogram, but it's not great to do it whilst nursing. He wants me to do it anyway because I nurse for 18 months on average and that would mean waiting another year.

Trish--where are you moving? didn't you just move to Louisiana? Oh it must be so hard to have your dh leave. I'd be eating for comfort. (((hugs)))

Lisa--bummer about af--enjoy Target:D

Becky--I hope little Zoe stays well. Gwen got a cold at 2 days old (hard to keep the siblings from kissing her--2 year olds don't really understand the concept of "germs") Anyway, hang in there!

Kate--it's disk 7 that I'll start next week that scares me--over 180 pushups of various types:eek::eek::eek:.

Wendy--the bulb thingy--they hate that thing, but it's a life saver when they can't breathe out of their poor little noses to nurse.

Hi everyone else!

Maggie:)

Kate - I'm super excited to check out our Target. I've been to others in California and Arizona, but I heard the one store here is like the largest Target in the nation!!

Maggie - You reminded me that I have to go for the yearly also. Hope you feel better. My kids are getting over a cold.

Wendy - I'm a non-STSer, but these ladies are making me want to get it.

Sorry ladies, I meant I didn't get AF in February and was absolutely thrilled about it!!! Hope it stays away as long as I'm EBFing. I need some suggestions on fun workouts...or fave Cathe dvds...I'm lagging. Anyone?

Lisa

maggie, sending you healing vibes!!!
those pushups are brutal, no?!
i would so pass on the mamm for now - youve nursed 7 babies!! your risk for cancer is pretty dang low id say! and why on earth would you radiate your breasts while you're nursing/?

lisa, i wanna come visit you and we can go to target!!!
what wo's do you have?

Hi ladies! Hope everyone is having a good hump day! Halfway through the week --YAY!

Maggie--I'm hoping you don't get your son's flu. But I know that it's probably inevitable. If things get passed around my house with just three kids, I can't imagine how your family deals with illnesses! Must be a never-ending cycle! Last time I was feeling puny, I bought some of those dannon immunity shots in the yogurt aisle, and they really seemed to work and boost my energy.

Kate--I *heart* the bulb. I always get a boatload of snot out of Charlie. But he's the first of the three to LET me suck snot out of his nose. Maybe that's why it works. I also *heart* Target. And YES I'm looking forward to spring break. I have no idea what we'll all do, so I better get to planning some fun stuff!

Trish--You are SO busy! Like Maggie said, didn't you JUST move? I hope that you get to enjoy some down time!

Lisa--You'll love Target! SuperTarget is the best! As for AF, I think she's parked her patooty at my "house" and isn't leaving. Hooray for me! As for the mammogram, I think 40 is the age you start getting them each year. 35 is the baseline. So if all goes well, I think I'll just get one this year and not again till 40. Just dreading the squish of it all. :confused:

Hi to Candra, Becky and Jen!! Hope you all are doing well!

-----
Well, I'm a little sore from my run last night. Though it was just 20 minutes, my hips hurt. I'm getting OLD! Tonight it's Butts and Guts sans the abs portion (did that last night). Hopefully eating will be good today too. I gave up weighing myself for Lent, so I'll just be going by the looseness of my clothes to determine if I lose this next month. I feel so much better not weighing myself every morning. That can set such an ugly tone for the day. It had gotten to be an obsession.

Anyway, enjoy your day, ladies!! :)

Good morning ladies. DH went out and bought a humidifier and last night was much better for me. Today I feel rested and better...but still a tad congested.

But...Zoey is now sick. Her little cough breaks my heart. She's a bit more whiney before I get her to sleep, but she does sleep really well if she's upright in her bouncy chair. We ended up putting her in it at around 3 am today after she woke up for her nighttime feeding. She doesn't have a fever just head congestion and a cough. Hopefully the antibodies she's getting from my milk will shorten and lessen her illness.

I did STS disc 2 today. Love it! I love working tris and back. Then I got in 20 min on the mini stepper. I'm going to try to do more on that throughout the day today.

Wendy, hope the yoga was fun.

Lisa, I saw you recommend fertilityfriend on another post. I used that site to help get pregnant. I am a member of the forums there too...are you?

Maggie, hope you feel better soon too.

Kate, how was disc 10? Lots of pushups?

Stephanie, you have your first mammo at 35? I thought it was supposed to be 40.

Fitmomma (sorry I don't know your real name), have fun in VA!

Becky

becky, glad youre on the mend...but poor zoey! i hatethat!
howd the pulls/chins go?? "sthing to work towrds!":D

got sweaty 40 min on the ellip this a.m.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.