Lurker's Invitation

Finished Meso 1 yesterday--yeah! Boy these 4 weeks have gone by fast. I have to admit that I am looking forward to a week of active recovery. I feel like my body needs a break. Today was a cardio day and I did Step Jam--not as intense as Step Blast but not too easy. It was just the right level of intensity for the end of the week. Tomorrow is sister's and my break day.

Laura: being new to STS, I'm afraid I don't have any pearls of wisdom on your vacation dilemma. Shadowpup and Janie are the experienced ones in the group, and Shadowpup already gave you some good feedback. It will be interesting to hear from Janie.

Shoegal: bummer on the truck issue. Darn your luck with the heat and we are a bit on the colder side for the next few days. I've got to tell you that the leg disks on STS really hit me the hardest. It's not that they are not doable--they certainly are. But, I feel my muscles talking to me usually within 2 hours of the workout. With the upper body workouts, it's usually DOMs later in the day.

Like sister, I also am looking forward to warmer weather. I figure by the time we get through meso 3 at the end of March/early April, spring should be popping out all over here in Virginia.

Time to bundle up and walk my pup.
~michelle

Shoegal, you wanted to know how Legs went today?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm happy to report that I am utterly and entirely exhausted from Legs and Meso 1 - if I weren't so curious as to what everyone had done today, I'd be writing this post tomorrow ;)

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to practice a few pullups in the middle of Legs, three sets of five. Why did I write that down on the workout card??? That was a commitment. And who was it who decided I ought to live ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS fifteen times in a row? Three times??? That's just silly. I must have made a mistake when I entered in my 1RM numbers. But that is what it said on my workout card, so I did them, and now it's time to rest from weights for awhile :D

On the other hand, it is really fun to do pullups fewer times, and focus on form rather than reps; I really feel I'm beginning to get the lower end of the 'pull' to flow smoothly into the 'up' part, and to use my whole back much more effectively.

The deadlifts and the squats and so on were both harder and easier today, because of a new fitness thing I found. It's called a VersaGrip http://www.versagripps.com/ . Have any of you looked in to these? I was trying to figure out how to handle the grip problem. My legs are getting stronger at a much faster rate than my forearms. Still, I didn't want to use hooks or wraps. These VersaGrips are a nice alternative and after using them today, I am extremely enthusiastic! I snagged them on sale, and fortunately they came earlier this week. It is hard to explain how they work - you kind of have to try them out - but it means you can shift some of the 'grip' further up your arms, and that was just enough that my legs were exhausted before my arms, for a change.

It's probably because the VersaGrip let me work my legs into utter exhaustion that I'm much more worn than even the usual STS tiredness :)

Now I've earned the right to read what everyone has been up to!

Laura, Shadowpup gave you fantastic ideas what to do during Spring Break. I can't think of anything better.;) Be sure to have fun with your girls.

Shoegal, I did Step Moves yesterday, did not modify and went through it just like a pro. I love this DVD. YEAH! What I do is watch it the day before I do it. It really helps me see the moves and what I might be doing wrong. Third time is a charm.

So sorry you had the burden of the truck. Yuck. Is everything OK now?

Michelle, Congratulations on finishing Meso 1. Enjoy your break day tomorrow.

Deborah, WOW! Adding in pull ups with STS? You are a brave and strong (118 pounds for legs and pull ups) lady, that's all I have to say. Very impressed with your successes.:)

I looked up Versagripps, and at first I couldn't understand it. When I read about it, and saw the pictures, then I understood. I have to agree, when the forearms are not as strong as the other muscles to get the job done, then I'm so grateful that there is a device that can help with that and continue your gains in lifting heavier weight. Were they expensive? My forearms also are weaker than I'd like them to be, maybe I need them too.

Janie

Last edited:
I did Muscle Max last night - Ugg - not good. It wore me out. The leg presses had an odd effect upon my back - some discomfort - I wanted them to be over and I didn't want to do them again. I'm upset this went so poorly - but that is what a new workout day is for - I will do this again - and I'll become stronger and this will go better next time. Yep - I hope. I have been eating quite a bit better - and I feel good about that at least. Now for the weekend - and this is where things get harder.

BRRRRR!!! Cold, Cold, Cold, Cold ride home. 17 degrees outside and unfortunatley not much warmer in the truck. I gave the heater a fair shot - I figured after 10 minutes or so - it had to have warmed up - right? Did I tell you it was cold? It was blowing cold air at me - I gave up and shut if off - I couldn't take it. DH came home and told me that the heater was turned off - that is why I had no heat. He is just so helpful. :rolleyes: I told him if you had cold air blowing on you what would you do???

Shadowpup: Pull ups in the middle of that tough workout??? That is incredible - you are so strong - it must be absolutely thrilling. I looked up the Versagrips - they look like good things to have around - there is just so much out there - I had no idea these existed!!!! STS just opens up a whole new world. So does this forum - I already have problems with buying way too many videos and equipment as it is.

Michelle & Renee - congrats on completing Meso 1!!!! Great work. Those four weeks flew by for me too - and I wasn't even doing it!!!! Hope you guys enjoy your well earned break.

Janie - you are certainly giving Step Moves a good test - got it all down too - that is great!!!! I love doing getting it all perfect - now you can just enjoy the moves - and not concentrate so much.

Started a new Sherlock Holmes story - it is proving to be quite interesting from the get go!! Ohh - I have the boys (Howie & Harold) my sister's pups this weekend to babysit while she is off on a trip. Howie isn't as trustworthy as Harold is - and I'm worried about how things will go. Plus Scout isn't a big fan of either of them but she has issues with most other dogs that aren't Dot.

Laura - What are your plans for the weekend?? Let us know what to decide with your break and STS - I admit that I can have no input on that either - but I wouldn't worry alot about it. You have to think that life will sometimes get in the way - otherwise it would be a bit boring - don't ya think? You should plan that it isn't going to go exactly according to plan - right? :confused:

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

Happy Friday to all!

I have been extremely busy these past few days. And extremely tired. I am so glad to be done with Meso 1! AND I plan on lots of fun cardio, abs and stretches for the active recovery week. Last night I did a quick preview of Low Impact Circuits cardio blast premix. That looks like lots of fun and its only 48 minutes! LIS, LIC cardio blast, Low Max cardio only without the intervals, even Basic are some of the things I plan on this coming week. Throw in some abs and stretches too. Hopefully it will be just what I need because my poor body is mega tired and sore. Soreness, I am sure is mainly from being tired and just so dang busy. But I would rather be busy then not have something to do.

I teach music to K-5 children. And yes, the younger ones (K and 1) are the most needy and demanding. They are so young and know nothing (imagine that) that it does tend to wear a person out. With every age/grade there is always something. But I love them all and feel I have the greatest job in the world.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

~Renee

Hi gals!

Today is my rest day but thought I would check-in! We are such an active group! :D:D:D:D

Shadowpup: I have decided that you, like Cathe, aren't REALLY human. You guys are a cyborg created to whip our mere human @SSES into shape! You ROCK!

Shoegal: UGH! :( What a terrible truck event! Why in the world would the heat be turned off in the middle of winter????

Janie: unfortunately I didn't get to ski with my girls because Sophia slipped on the ice and hit her head pretty hard, she vomited afterwards. She is ok now but it was scary. We watched for all the head injury signs and I stayed home from work Wed. night to be with her. It was scary....but she is fine now THANK GOD! And I was so looking forward to a nice fun family ski!:(

Michelle: WOOHOO!! Way to go on STS! I am enjoying the winter, which has been relatively mild for us with beautiful sunny days and little wind. Wish we had more snow though! Only 2 more months to enjoy the winter activities skiing, ice skating, snow-shoeing, x-country! But it will be nice when spring comes and we can show off our STS bodies!!:eek:

Catchicks: sounds like a fun week of cardio ahead! I am definitely being pushed with STS and the last 5% increase on weights was tough for me on some of the exercises! I was looking at some of the weights and thinking to myself you must be kidding me! I was definitely not lifting any where near my capacity before this! I am also sleeping much more soundly and a lot more! Guess my body is plumb wore out!!

I put out a thread on the STS about my upcoming vacation, I haven' checked it yet but will when I get a chance. I still have time to decide but will let ya'll know when I do...no one else will really care!:confused:;):rolleyes:

Break day for me today, along with sister. I slept an extra hour because I could. Then Ripken and I took our long walk and it was cold, cold, cold. Halfway through the walk, I looked at Ripken and wondered who's bright idea it was to go on our long walk this morning. He seemed pretty happy, so I decided it must have been his idea.

Sister: I might have to piggy-back your cardios. They look interesting. We'll have to discuss on the phone this weekend.

Laura: glad your Sophia is okay. That sounded scary.

Shoegal: don't you hate when husband's don't get the basic message, in this case: the truck heater is not functioning when you do turn it on. Hmmm, problem with the leg presses. Have you had problems with your back doing leg presses before? Maybe it was the number of risers that you were using or the weight amount? I can't remember you having a problem on these previously. Stick with Muscle Max--it's a fun workout.

Janie: I'm not surprised that you enjoy Step Moves too. We consistently seem to have the same favorites.

Shadowpup: wow--118 pounds--that's incredible. Is that on squats, deadrows, deadlifts, or what? It's incredibly amazing regardless of what move you are doing, but I am curious.

Okay--I've just gotten into a work conversation, need to run.
~michelle

Okay, so I've been gone for awhile...

and I have really missed you guys! Hope I can still be a part of the group!Hopefully now my internet problems are a thing of the past. Along with my gallbladder which was removed Monday! I still can't workout for another 5 weeks or so and then will have to do so at a beginner level but, will start over again!

Looks like everyone else has been doing well. Hope everyone had Great Holidays! Will be back later!

Got the dreaded cold. It's a doozie. Yuck. Will not workout with this. I'll see how I feel in a week. In the mean time, I'll watch what you gals do.

Shoegal, Even though you might not have liked Muscle Max this time around, I'm proud of you for doing it. Give it some time and I bet you'll learn to love it.

That darn truck!

Yep, I love that I know Step Moves. Now for the fun part. Yippee!

Renee, Enjoy your recovery week. You deserve it. I like your plan for the week.

You sound like a great teacher.

Laura, Hope you had a good rest day. OMG! Your poor daughter! I would have been scared too. Thank goodness she is OK. WHeW!

People care. They will also give you good advice. You'll see.

Michelle, Enjoy your rest day. Ripkin and his bright ideas. It was good!
I bet you enjoyed the walk in spite of the cold.

I have to agree, we do like many of the same workouts. Coo.l:cool:

Ironlady, Long time no see. So glad you decided to come back here. We need you!

Don't know much about gallbladders, but why was it removed, and please tell me your symptoms. I'm getting mine checked out.

A little set back, and in no time at all (after you can exercise) you'll be doing what you want and more.

You take care and rest up. Will be looking forward to your posts.

Janie

Hi all,

As much as I like STS, it was fun to know that I will be doing other things for ten days or so. Echoing Michelle, my body is happy for the rest. But Ripkin got his walk and my poor pups didn't ... silly me, I didn't listen to them, and ended up working. Tonight I did TRX Back Biometrics again (a flexibility/mobility dvd) and thoroughly enjoyed the slower motions.

Michelle, Cathe's program really deserves credit for all these strength gains. Last year even my predicted 1RM was not at the level of these 15RM lifts! The 118x15 for three sets was deadlifts. My PR for deadlifts is right around 139, I think, but that was 7RMs not 15RMs. No way could I have done that much without the versa grips since anything over 100 pounds taxes my forearms/grip too much. Just as Laura said in her note, it is obvious that pre STS last year I was nowhere near working to capacity.

Laura, Shoegal, Janie, you have me blushing. In this group, everyone has something they do really really well and that's part of what makes this so fun! The step choreography the rest of you handle so well gets my feet in knots. Perhaps once I expand my exercise floor and can practice again that will improve, but for now, I just listen in awe when I hear about how fast you pick up a new routine.

Now that I know I don't have to do it again for awhile, it actually does make sense to throw some extra pullups in the Legs workout. No kidding! For once you get to do them when your arms aren't frazzled, and since I'm doing it for form and not reps, I don't feel exhausted at the end of them. It reduces the dread factor. But I might not feel the same in Meso 2 so this is not a commitment to keep doing it :rolleyes:

Ironlady, of course you are still part of the group! We missed you - glad you're back. And, it's great that the surgery was a success, though it's a shame it was necessary. We will be glad to have you working out with us again, and will be cheering you on in your recovery. Your timing is perfect, too, since we're about to rename ourselves and it would have been harder to reconnect ... BTW, hope your DD is doing well. Best wishes to you both.

Laura, how frightening about your daughter! You must have been horribly worried. Poor Sophia - best wishes to her for a full recovery, and hoping that it does not affect her enjoyment of winter sports. Such a shame to have that happen in the middle of a fun activity. You are a brave woman, though, and sounds like you handled things quite well.

Shoegal, freezing to death in a truck is no good. And the heater was off??? You were supposed to know this somehow??? Arggggghhhhhh!!!! Hate when that happens to me. On a happier topic, which Sherlock Holmes are you reading now? One of the longer ones, or a short story? Of course I have a fondness for Silver Blaze, but my favorites are the longer ones, like Sign of Four, Hound of the Baskervilles, and the one involving the Pinkertons. Makes me want to pick up my own volume of the tales and indulge in a read-fest this weekend.

Janie, very sensible to take some time off when you are unwell. Smart lady! I hope you have not got the dreaded swine flu!!!! Stay warm, chicken soup, all of that ... stop in and let us know you're okay when you can.

Renee, neat that you teach music! My favorite memories of K12 and through highschool are of playing in the band. We started before the recorder was popular, but later grades had them, and it really does seem to help keep people interested. It's more achievable and affordable for kids and parents. So important especially with the budget cutbacks ...

Renee and Michelle are inspiring me to think about my own cardio list ... it's really tempting to do either an Insanity or Cardio Core or Staehle's CKC ... and I haven't done STS Kickbox or Fusion yet either. :eek::eek::eek: So many terrific workouts! Oops, that's five or six right there, if I do two Insanities, isn't it ... maybe it's a good thing I'm looking at a longer active rest week :eek:

BTW all, this time the unexpected change is that I can be at home this next week. After that, I'm headed to DC - maybe long enough to get together, Michelle? - and then a longish sequence for two weeks. I'm still figuring out how to get Meso 2 off to a good start; may have to take my suggestion to Laura and insert a week with two full body workouts to keep from losing ground.

Last edited:
Just came in from round 1 of shoveling snow. Ripken was playing while I was shoveling. This snow is very light and failry easy to shovel. I'm trying to stay on top of it and shovel in rounds so it is more manageable. Good exercise too. After taking off the layers from snow shoveling, I finished vacuuming upstairs and put clean sheets on the bed. Now, I'm thinking it is time to exercise. I was hoping sister had logged in for the day so I could see what she did today. I'm leaning toward trying that LIC cardio blast premix. Something familiar but still new.

Shadowpup: good news: my workload is a bit on the light side the next month so hopefully when you come to D.C., we can meet. Do you know the dates? It helps if I can block days out on my calendar.

Janie: sorry to hear that you have caught a cold. Ick. Get plenty of rest. I think after the past couple of months that you have had, you deserve a week or two of good solid rest and me time.

Ironlady: welcome back. Gallbladder surgury does not sound like any fun, but if it gets you feeling better in the long run, then it's all for the best, right? We are migrating our check-in to a new name next month: Getting our Licks In. So, starting on Monday, February 1, be sure to join us under our new name.

I'll be back later, time to go workout.
~michelle

Will be in hot tub as much as I can stand today. This cold is very funny, first time with no sinus congestion. But, soar throat and coughing. Seems a little mucus from throat running down to lungs that make me cough. Very different. Pretty sure it is not the swine flu.

Sid and Tina are now separated. This withdrawal thing is hitting them hard. Joey and I suggested they do it, so they can heal apart, they were definitely not healing by being together. After some time, when things are better for them individually, they will come back and see where they stand from there. Poor kids! Dang.

Debroah, Since I won't be exercising for awhile, I need to think what I can do other than STS too. When feeling better, thinking of doing a variety of DVD's with a mixture of Shock Cardio and circuits and weight training. I'm gaining weight, geesh! I've put on about 15 pounds! YUCK! And still climbing up on the scale. Can't wait until I have normal days, then I can do what needs to be done for my body, without interruptions.

What a nice way of looking at our differences. And LOVE our differences, it awe inspires me to do better. And if I can't do the DVD's the way I want, then I make up for it on the ones I can. You made a very good point.

Really like the way you put in the pull ups with Meso 1. Haven't done Meso 2 for awhile, but I do know it is even more intense. Bet you still will be able to throw those extra pull ups in there. ;) You go girl! Yummmm, chicken soup sounds mighty good about now.

Will drop by everyday! Can't get enough of you guys. You all are full of ideas and inspirations. Won't miss that. LOL:D

You have a whole week off? Yeah! Do enjoy yourself. Yes, I would work in some full body workouts when you are in DC. It makes sense.

Michelle, So glad there isn't snow like that here this year. Been very lucky around Puget Sound with mild weather.

From reading about cleaning makes me look around for all the things I need to do to. I'll wait a few days for that though. LOL:rolleyes:

Hi to Laura, Renee, Sherry and Shoegal.

Janie

Last edited:
Good Saturday afternoon to all of you "lurkers"!

After a much needed rest, I opted for Low Impact Step and AC/yoga based today. Something easy and fun. I felt great afterwards! First time in a week that I actually felt good after exercsing.

Lots of snow in central Virginia. I know its just Saturday, but school will be closed on Monday for sure, and probably Tuesday too!

I missed sisters call earlier. I was in the shower. I knew that was gonna happen. lol

I will probably do LIC cardio blast premix tomorrow. And some more abs/stretches.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday.

~Renee
aka Catchick65
aka sister

Well I got through Disc #6 legs, which I didn't like as much as the first Leg Disc. I am feeling my low back a little more than I would like to be...It was with the leg sliding back on the plate and lifting 15 #'s which I guess was ok for my legs but to much for my low back!:( It isn't to bad just a little tweaky feeling so I am going to baby it...

So I had an idea about my upcoming vacation and was thinking I might just repeat the 1st 3 weeks of Meso Cycle 1 again, instead of leaping straight into Meso Cycle #2, than have two weeks active rest and then continue on to Meso Cycle #2. Everyone I have read that didn't take adequate rest really seemed to regret it and many even had to stop an add a rest week in...the only question than would be about my weights. Do I go back to the 60% on the first week?

Shoegal: MM is a tough workout! Sorry you had a hard time with it...if memory serves me right it has been sometime since you have done a Cathe lifting DVD? I think the last one I remember was someone else....can't recall who without going back to look. Cathe really goes hard on those legs in MM!;)

Catchick: sounds like Cathe really knows what she was doing with STS everyone seem really ready for a break by the time one is scheduled!

Michelle: brrr! you are one dedicated doggie momma to walk Ripken in the cold! Hope he knows how lucky he is! Enjoy your rest week!

Ironlady: long time! Hope you have a quick recovery from your surgery!

Janie: a boo! a cold! Hugs! I know how frustrating it can be to watch that scale climb up! Just know that you can get back on track as soon as you feel better. Goodness knows you have been through a lot the last 6 months and be gentle on your self. I think that the separation might be the best thing for your DD and your GS, at least until Sid gets his head back on straight! Sending you love and support!

Shadowpup: Sophia actually slipped on ice at school during recess so no bad associations with skiing! Thank goodness! I took the girls ice skating on Friday, secretly to get her back in the saddle again or should I say back on the ice! She was totally fine...I think I am going to need those vise grips for Meso Cycle 3 if not earlier? What do think about me keeping going with Meso Cycle 1 for 3 extra weeks?

So I have to share a little story with ya'll. I have a good friend here, who I would consider in pretty good shape. As you guys know I teach a class at the Rec Center on Monday nights that is basically a toning/weight lifting class. She has been saying forever that she wanted to come to my class and never does but last Monday she shows up. So I teach my class, which I would consider a lighter class and I can tell she is really, really struggling with it. She starts dropping reps and going shallow on the leg lunges. Anyway the next day she calls me and tells me she can barley walk, I think she is exaggerating but I stop by later and she CAN BARELY walk down the stairs she is hobbling like an old lady!! I felt so bad for her! I didn't mean to hurt her but it goes to show you how in shape we really are! Unfortunately she won't be coming back to my class she says you have to BE in shape to take my class, and the weird thing is that I would have said she was at least fairly fit...

Today I ended up doing All Step. It's been a while since I've done one of the cross train express workouts and All Step is one of my favorites. I didn't do the shoulder work but continued to do a cardio cool down instead. Enjoyed the ab work and the stretch at the end. Ripken enjoyed the stretching too. I also managed to work on taxes a bit this afternoon, then Ripken and I took another walk and I took up the shovel again for round 2. Now, I'm ready to just relax for the evening.

Laura: Your story about your friend was interesting. It just goes to show that you really are in shape and your classes are tougher than you think. I'm impressed that you are doing the sliding leg exercises on the plate with a 15 pound dumb bell. WOW! I use only a 5 pound dumb bell and my glutes just scream by the time the reps are over.

Janie: sorry to hear that your DD and Sid have separated. Hopefully, the time apart will allow them to heal and then they can try again. It definitely sounds like you've got a cold going. The hot tub can be great medicine and help clear out those sinuses. Makes me wish we'd gotten water in our tub for the winter. Even if we had, with all the snow, we wouldn't have been able to use it much, so maybe it's better that it's empty.

Hi to Shadowpup, Shoegal, sister, and Ironlady.
~michelle

Thanks for the welcome back! I will be sure and check ot the new thread on Monday! Of course I opened my mouth about the internet and have struggled staying connected since! :mad:

Michelle, your workouts sound fun! And this is your rest week?

Janie, sorry you are under the weather! Get well soon! It all began with what I thought was just heartburn then I had some bilary colic attacks... due to stones, felt something like I was having a heart attack! 3 all together, one that lasted for 11 hours! The only way to describe it is the worst pain I've ever felt! A burning under the ribs and up between the shoulder blades. Those ended and the pain became constant just under my ribcage on the right side and under my right shoulderblade. Finally, made an appointment with the gastroenterologist and she walked in and said it looked like I was in trouble had an ultrsound the next am and an appt with the surgeon the next Wed, surgery scheduled for this past Monday! Unfortunately, they had to cut me open rather than doing it laprascopically due to some scar tissue from previous surgeries. I do hope it is NOT your gallballder! But, usually they do not have to do open procedure and recovery is much quicker!

Laura, I'm sure your friend is fit bacause you think she is but, you do workout with Cathe consistently and that puts you somewhere above fit!

Shadowpup, I'm glad I got back before everyone migrated to the new thread! Would have been stuck in Lurkdom forever then! Thank you for asking about DD, yes she is well!

Thank-you all for the recovery wishes! Would be easier if they had not had to cut me open! :(

I suppose that's it for now! No workout to report! Unless you count pushing myself to a sitting position from a lying one as a w/o! haha

Good morning, all!

My legs are feeling STS, in a tired pushed-to-the-edge way as opposed to a painful way, so I've been taking it rather easy. Friday was TRX Back biometrics, which nicely loosened things up. Yesterday, I went with Reach! That one feels like a wonderful dynamic stretch, about half an hour. Today I think it will be one of the Shock Cardios, either Kickbox of Fusion.

Ironlady, if rolling over self propelled is an improvement, then we'll celebrate that :) And also that you are not feeling that terrible pain. I've heard others say the same thing. One of our neighbors, a guy who ran rock crushers for a living out in the lonliest and most dangerous conditions you'd care to mention, and who once was gored by *steer* and lived through it - he said the same. Horrible. Not something I want to learn first hand ... brrrr! Very sorry you had to go through it. Do you know how long you need to stay roughly horizontal?

Janie, it sounds like you and Joey gave good advice. As usual, you two are the solid rocks in your family circle. Hopefully Sid will make progress on his recovery, and they can attempt to move on together again. What a sad situation. ((hugs)). And how are you feeling today - better, I hope? Maybe enjoying a lavender bath as well as that hot tub Michelle suggested ... ?

Michelle, Renee, Looks like ShovelMax is on the list today here as well. We had quite the snowfall last night; it is the fluffy style you see in postcards. Very pretty. But ... it's still coming down ... the dogs are hoping it won't interfere with their walk (it shouldn't).

You know, Michelle, out of CTX I always seem to end up at Meaner Legs or a premix, and I don't think I've ever done the steps on that one, as long as I've had it. Shovelling definitely counts against shoulder work :) Do you find that your endurance with the shovel is better after Meso 1? BTW, I do have rough dates for my trip. We're scheduling meetings, and it's kind of up to my hosts as to when those will be; my best guess is that I'll have the most flexibility on either Feb 10 or 11. How does that fit your week?

Renee, I hear you about feeling tired after the workout. I admit, I was pretty tired going into the TRX workout Friday, and even yesterday! But that's what's supposed to happen, just as it did last year and my Meso 3 modified rotations in summer and fall. Today I'm more normally tired, and looking forward to a more active workout.

Shoegal, MM is not an easy one! No, not at all! Good for you, finishing it out. And I am also feeling relieved on behalf of the missing-now-found ornaments, because it also seemed to me that they deserved to be on display! So you do have decorating going up for Valentine's Day already :) I left out one large Christmas heart with gold trim, in your honor and in honor of the upcoming day. It's hung by a pothos with heart leaves. That's probably the limit for me :) Have to share with you also that I have succumbed to a desire to try out the vibram five finger shoes, and ordered a pair. It likely means something odd that they are the only non-equine-oriented shoes that have drawn me in for some time; it's probably because of that Born To Run book. Also PS, I have begun hunting for my Conan Doyle collection ...

Laura, I loved your story. You need to give yourself credit for being as fit as you are! There's fit, there's Cathe-fit, and there's super-Cathe-fit, which is where you are!!! How many people could handle even half your workload??? Or a quarter??? Hopefully your friend will be back, perhaps taking it easier for awhile, as she gets used to the moves. And it does remind me that I haven't written up the story of the Cardio Bunny and Testosterone Twins in Hawaii, who I "met" in Hawaii :) Perhaps once we start the new Ripkin-named thread. Glad to know that Sylvia is okay,and not worried about ice. In your climate, that would be a real shame.

Nothing wrong with continuing on with Meso 1! It's an endurance workout, and more endurance won't hurt for Meso 2, that's for sure. But I bet you could restart with week 3 or two even after an extra long active break and still feel a little stronger than when you left off. You can always add on a few pounds if the weights on the card feel too light, or even print out workout cards for disks 1, 4, 7, 10 so as to make it easy to switch if the disk you try first seems too hard/easy.

Last edited:
I am loving the active recovery week. Today I did LIC, premix cardio blast. It was so much fun! I want to do it again and again and again. I also added segment 1 of Total Body Stretching and that even felt good. And I, as Sister will attest to, am not a stretching fan at all.

I look at the foot of snow we got here in central Virginia, knowing I need to get outside and shovel a bit. Especially if I want to get out tomorrow. I know there won't be any school, but I had the day "off" for some oral surgery...ick! Hope I make it there and back, or will I have to reschedule?

"The greatest results in life are usually attained by simple means and the exercise of ordinary qualities. These may for the most part be summed in these two: common-sense and perseverance." Keep on keepin' on everybody!!!

~Renee

While sister was doing the LIC cardio blast premix, I popped Stretch Max in the dvd player and did all 3 stretch routines. Boy, they felt so super good. My muscles really needed a good long relaxing stretch and the hour of stretch max was just the trick.

I stayed on top of the snow shoveling yesterday, so today I don't have anything left to do in that department. What little bit of a dusting fell after round 2 yesterday early evening has melted from the sun today. The snow plows have come through as well and there is plenty of black pavement showing. We might have some black ice in the morning and I'm sure the slush left on the roads will refreeze, but my neighbors are going in and out of the neighborhood with ease.

Sister: Maybe I will do the LIC cardio blast premix tomorrow morning. Be sure to get some good stretches in this week because I know you will avoid those if at all possible.

Shadowpup: I will mark Feb 10 and 11 on my calendar. Feb 11 is a Thursday and I tend to be at Quantico on Thursdays, so the better day for me will most likely be the 10th. Your rest week sounds pretty high energy to me, but you've got that energizer bunny thing going in your dna. Ya'll got snow in Idaho too? I was watching a show on the weather channel about British Columbia and the upcoming Olympics. They're concerned because the weather has been more temperate than usual and at least one mountain they are using for competitions will have man-made snow slopes/venues. Go figure.

Ironlady: Sounds like you had a bit of a scare before the docs nailed down a diagnosis. I'm glad it wasn't heart-related. You take your time and heal up--there will be plenty of time to exercise once your incision heals.

My plan right now is to post the Getting Our Licks In forum tonight before I go to bed that way I won't have to worry about it in the morning.

Hope everyone is enjoying this Sunday.
~michelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.