Lifting like girls

This morning was a Pilates workout by Jules Benson. I'm trying to incorporate workouts that I usually wouldn't do. Seems like all I have done for years, is lifting. So now, I want to try pilates, if for no other reason, than to balance out my musculature. Balancing dominant and non-dominant muscles, so they work together. I definitely have a dominant side, that usually does all the work. I want it to balance. I also want to work on my balance. So, I will be incorporating pilates and yoga into my work.
Hope you are well Lisa. Let us know when it happens.
Like I stated above Tom, the older I get the less sleep I seem to get. Kids are gone, nothing to keep me awake, but, there you go. Three in the morning, and I'm staring at the clock. Advil PM, works like a charm, and I don't feel hung-over like I do with Tylenol PM. Glad you got your workout in. Don't stress over an email. Life is too short. Have a good one, guys!

Karen, I hear ya on the sleep thing! I used to sleep like a rock. DW said we could have an axe murder in the house and it wouldn't have awakened me ! That was then and this is now. Ugh! Today was arm day and it was hard to rise...even for that! Ended up hitting it hard, 5 sets pushdowns/ ez bar curls, 2 sets skullcrushers/ hammercurls, 2 sets weighted bench dips/conc curls and finished with a set of cable crunches. It's finally Friday...yay! Lisa, take care of your new, upcoming addition (as well as the past arrivals)! Rest is probably hard to come by at your house! Enjoy your Friday friends!

Tom, sorry about the terrible sleep. Whatever the reason for insomnia, it is awful. But I do imagine that what you thought was a harsh email was probably nothing. Like Karen said, don't beat yourself up about it. Glad you got a good workout in today. Glad you listened to your body the other day and got more rest. It's all about balance!

Karen, July's Benson is not a Firm workout person, right? I think that's Anna Benson? Not that it matters, just curious. ITA with you about balancing muscles and moving your body in different ways. The body lengthening effect of Pilates sounds like a great compliment to the brawn of STS.

Baby is not here yet but it won't be long. I am officially in the "term" range...weeks 37 to 40...so phew! The past few days my DH has been home, working remotely on his laptop , to keep an eye on the girls while I have either literally sat on my butt or lay on the couch. I am feeling somewhat better today but have been couch bound the whole day. I anticipate easing back into gentle movement this weekend. My last 2 pregnancies I was doing Cathe to the bitter end but this time is just physically different. Ugh.

Have a great weekend friends. I will try to keep you posted.

Hang in there Lisa. Don't know what it is with number three babies, but, I was the same. First two, working it until they were born, number three different story altogether. Slept in a sitting position. Couldn't breathe lying down, last four weeks. Good vibes coming your way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think complaining to you guys did the trick, because yesterday after I posted I felt well enough to do Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body but I subbed in Leah Sarago Prenatal Core instead for the PUB core.

I was on a roll and, despite having a bad night of sleep, I woke up early and knocked out Cathe's Pyramid Lower Body! And this ain't no April Fool's joke. I had to go lower than normal on some of the weights...again, thanks to my pregnancy weight vest, lol...but it felt great to move my body. Just taking it day by day, even hour by hour in terms of how I am feeling.

Tom, did you get in leg day today? Gotta keep you in check!!!

Karen, any fun weekend workout plans?

Have a fantastic weekend my buddies!

Tom, your DW's bday is wayyyyy more important than leg day. Treat her like a queen today and enjoy the day!

PS don't even ask me about that time when my DH was deep in the swamp of writing his PhD dissertation and he totally forgot my bday. In fairness to him he didn't know what time or day or year it was or probably even who was Pres of US at the time...his brain was all about graduating. ..but still. Let me tell you that I have gotten a LOT of mileage on that one over the years. Bahahaha!

Not yet Lisa, had good intentions but it's DW's Birthday and we are gonna take off and do something! Still shooting for later....Sunday at least!! Congrats on your endeavors...the new found energy May mean something??? ...we will see lol!

Another April baby!!! April definitely rocks as a month. April baby, you can have your body back by Summer. Your turn Lisa!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karen, my DD2 was born in April as well, and it's way better to have a newborn in Springtime than in Winter. Plus, like you said, I can be back to feeling like my old self by Summertime. Whoo hoo!

Well, I didn't make it to leg day! Yesterday I did chest and tri in the morning and was going to do legs at the same time but had to rush to take DW out to lunch...kinda delayed Birthday lunch. I thought I would do legs in the afternoon, but cleaned out my car instead and got into a movie in the evening! So this morning I did what any Commando would do and did back and bi's! I have dental meetings Fri-Sunday and needed to start the week early (although they have a great gym and I am going to hit it). Today was 3 sets of chins, 3 sets pullovers, 3 sets Pendlay rows and 3 sets 1 arm cable pulls. For bi's I did 4 sets ez bar curls, 2 sets conc curls and a set of 21's. I finished with a set of cable crunches. TOMMOROW IS LEG DAY!!! PROMISE!! Make Monday all it can be my friends!

Tom, you got it done and sometimes that's all that matters. You'll get those legs when you are good and ready! I had to look up Pendlay rows. Never done those. Learned something new that I gotta try!

Karen, how was your weekend? Starting Meso 2 Week 2 today?

I took yesterday as a rest day and today felt like doing Cathe's ICE Chiseled Lower Body. No jumping and followed Cathe by using the lower weights. I seem to be okay with weights but the high energy cardio is NOT happening anymore, which makes me sad cuz I love my cardio, but it will be waiting for me when I am ready again

Happy Monday!

Hey all!! I guess it's about time I posted my "stuff." This morning was STS Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. I tried to bench my old usual, 135 lbs. Got one rep. Decided I better take it down a notch, or two. This getting old stuff is for the birds. So, did push myself through the workout. My biceps are still sore from Friday. Told DH that I probably will need to be rolled out of bed in the morning. Have a feeling that everything will hurt. Had a great workout. Friday was Back and Biceps. The whole posterior chain was sore from that one. Tomorrow will be Pilates or Yoga, haven't decided. That is, if I can move. Tom, it's OK if you didn't make it to leg day. It will get done, when it gets done, right? Yes Lisa, your cardio will be waiting for you. Still sending good vibes. Well, today is kickoff day for the two weeks of birthdays. So, I need to take the cake out of the oven. Talk later FRIENDS!!

I would like to report a mugging...I am both the victim and the perp!! Got in a pretty good one at least I was winded and pooped! I did 4 sets bench squats, not real heavy but longer sets. 3 sets gob squats with a powerblock. (This works pretty well once you figure out how to hold it and I am able to go heavier than the 50# kb). 3 sets of reverse lunges, and 3 sets of kb swings. For calves, 3 sets of barbell calf raises and 3 sets of 1 leg calf raises and I finished with a set of crunches and a set of seated knee ins. Karen, if you look around you won't find many women of OUR age group that can come close to 135! The fact you usually do it for reps is impressive! I know Lisa, a world without cardio is no world at all, but you'll be back! Great work Commandos!!

Tom, I have reported you to ICE for your leg day shenanigans because after that leg work you are gonna need some ice packs to walk, ha! Nice work! Lol on a world without cardio is no world at all! I sm happy to report that I was able to do a couple YouTube prenatal cardio workouts today. Each workout was 20 mins so with stretch it was about 45 mins. I will take it!

Karen, what Tom said...135lbs is incredible, as is anything in that range IMHO. You are so strong, girl, don't you forget it. And I know you will appreciate this...my daily highlight the past couple rough weeks has been my decaf iced Americanos with cashew milk. So heavenly. My other pregnancies would have been much better with this stuff in my life!

Good Morning Ladies. Woke up with a bad case of acute buttitis! Wow, but it did loosen up. Shoulder day. 9 sets strict press. 3 sets of side laterals, rear delt flys and front raises and I raised the weight 5# on these 3 lifts. next were 3 long sets of dumbbell shrugs to finish me off. A lot of reps and it felt good! Karen, I checked the killustrated site and your 135 is way past elite, even if you are over 200 pounds and those are 1rm's! Making us 60 plusers proud!! Lisa, way to go on cardio! (my attempt at poetry!) Have a great hump day friends!

Well, I must say, this morning was a leg workout. Disk #17 of STS. It is a killer, if you go heavy. Right now, I feel like I have lead hanging from my legs, and my butt is a half inch off the floor. Tom, you must pull this disk out and give it a go. I know how you love legs, and this will seal the deal. Nice job on the shoulders. Yes, make us 60 plusers proud. Nice job Lisa, kick that cardio can. Do you make your own cashew milk? It sounds delicious. I make my own Almond milk, so much better than store stuff.
Well, today will definitely be in slo mo. Make it a great day friends.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.