Jogglers August 2010 (aka New Runners)

Lisa- I could go with the cereal/coconut milk or GF toast (I do have some in the freezer) and a scrambled egg. I just like to change it up. There is a diet coach on iTunes named Sandra Ahten, she does the Reasonable Diet, and she said that some people lose weight when they have a different breakfast everyday even if its the same calories. So, I change it up. I don't know if that would work all the time or if the body would adapt to it. My fat cels are clever, I bet they would catch on.:p Corn chex is GF. But, its not terribly clean and the GF cereals like buckwheat tend to be really high in carbs. I watch my carbs because of my PCOS.

Tricia- I prefer AM workouts. Lately, I've just not had the oomph when I wake up and I convince myself its ok, I will do it later, and I usually do. This week I've gotten both workouts in the AM, I do like it better, that way its not hanging over my head. That said, I don't like to joggle in the dark, coyotes and bears and mountain lions oh my! I think your Nike+ is bogus, wear your hrm.

Cindi- I hear you, I would rather stay in bed also I hate feeling bloated. When I was a kid and my Dad would say, " Eat all your food" I didn't realize the man had compromised vision (wears glasses.) and now I understand he was just trying to be encouraging and to make sure we weren't underfed, unfortunately at the time I learned the habit of eating too much and over time that has made a problem (fat, yep, thats me.). I don't do that anymore. I didn't really like it. Now, I'm more likely to choose being a little hungry or not full. Its funny how the combination of an adult's disability in conjunction with kid think can create a lifetime of issues.

Jane- How was your swim?

forgot about myself lol

Yesterday did not go as planned. In the afternoon, my brother and I headed into town to meet with my Dad at this new location for our seminar (supposed to it on in two weeks.) to check out the gear etc. So, we go there and then my Dad has a bubble on his tire. So instead of dropping my brother off and picking mom up from work I had to sit in the back seat of the car (hate that, I get a bit nauseous but I'm the short one so :( ) for an hour while they worked on the gear. Then, we went back to pick up his car at the tire place, they changed out the spare and we will get new tires today. I went over to pick mom up from work, but she had to finish something. So, over 1/2 hour later I am famished and not really that smart. We stopped for dinner. I got a big steak. And then, they got dessert. Mind you I didnt! But, I did have a bite of ice cream.

dagnabit. I was trying to go for the whole month of August without ice cream. At least it wasn't mine. It wasn't at home out of the freezer in the morning before breakfast. Im improving. And I didnt even have enough to figure out how much to put in the fitday. but. it is a violation of my August challenge. drat.

I did get my workout in yesterday. I'm taking today off. I am so sore. My calves and legs from all those drills yesterday are fried. Tomorrow I'm doing a mish mosh of CTX All Step/Step with Intervals.

I have to go spend time at the tire place today. I will take my cherries and a baggie of nuts. I will be smart this time. No more assuming that I will have access to my preferred foods.

Good morning ladies!

Wow Alisha, what a day!

Tricia - The rule of thumb is about 100-120 calories per mile regardless of pace. It's just that the calorie burn takes longer the slower you go. It seems like the Nike+ underestimated - but it doesn't track HR right? So what is the calorie burn based on?

Spin last night was hard - I wore my HRM to see what my HR zones looked like. I averaged 150 for the hour with my peak at 175. I burned 632 calories which is what I would burn (or less even) if I were to run for an hour - so that makes me happy.

Hi Jane and Lisa!

Quick update and I'll respond to personals later. I did a fun ride this morning. I met up with the ride halfway through so I took Beau for his first canter with a large group of horses and I did it bareback. Woo hoo!! He pitched a little hissy fit but did fine and was really very good considering how exciting it was. That counted for my inner thigh workout. I did High and Tight, minus the inner thigh part ;) I'm packing to head to the beach. Catch up with you all later!! Summer's winding down and I have a lot of things to do!!

Lisa

Hello Ladies!

Lisa - PUB yesterday and riding today, plus the beach! Sounds like my kind of workout! I hope Beau had fun!

Alisha - Interesting about changing your breakfast meal. I eat the same thing every day during the week! LOL! It would take me forever to come up with different things for breakfast that I 1) like, 2) don't take forever to fix, 3) are clean. When I first got it, my Nike+ was within 10 cals. of my HRM. That was over a year ago, though and I'm lighter than I used to be, which I'm sure doesn't help! I'm going to wear both tomorrow for my run and compare the numbers. I can see why you wouldn't run in the a.m. Yikes! Me, I'm in the city so the only animal I really have to worry about is a stray cat, dog or homeless person, but I stay away from the bridges!

Sorry your day got screwed up! One bite of ice cream isn't bad! I know what you mean about staying on goal though! At least you made it halfway through! You can make it the rest of the way!

Cindi - Great spin class! I can't remember what all the stats were than I had to enter into my Nike+, but this mainframe is going out with ALL her plug-ins tomorrow! LOL!

I think it's another 3 miler tomorrow morning. I'm off work for 4 days, so at least I won't have to get up quite as early to run!

Have a great night everyone!

Good Evening!

I went on a 35 minute run tonight. It was hot but there was a really nice breeze so it wasn't too bad.

I'll be back tomorrow with personals.

I joggled most of CC V4 today. I skipped 2 minutes in each of the two steady states and skipped the last interval due to time constraints. It was very hot and humid so I left the pups at home. Now I'm feeling wiped out and don't want to lift. I had planned to do Push-Push or the full-body Pyramid premix. We'll see.

Alisha - That's an interesting study. Breakfast is one of the easiest meals for me to blow it on and it sets the tone for the rest of the day for me so I just stick to routine and what works I guess. I can't think too hard before I have to go to work. :D

Tricia - I think Beau had fun. I know I did.

Jane - Hope you had a good run. It was so hot and humid today that I melted a little bit.

Cindi - I've always wondered about that. I can walk 2-3 miles daily much more consistently than I can run it. So I guess if its a question between walking and running my mileage, it doesn't really matter in terms of calorie burn since I tend to walk/run for a certain distance rather than time (unless I'm Cardio Coaching).

Lisa

Lisa - that's what I've read - that the calories burned per minute are of course higher for running but if you compare equal distances, there's not much difference. I would think, though that if you are running intervals - you'll get more calorie burn. But a steady state run of 1 mile is going to burn about as many calories as walk for 1 mile.

Tricia - how did you manage with all your equipment today?

I like to eat the same thing for breakfast too. In fact I like to eat the same thing all the time. I tend to get into ruts with my eating.

Hi Alisha and Jane!

I did CTX All Step and Step/Intervals this morning. It was a 500 cal. burn according to my hrm. I have a mish mosh for tomorrow of CTX 10-10-10 Hi/Lo and Kick box and the CTX Kick Box cardio. I will be spending the day on the computer editing video.

Catch ya later!

Hi Everyone!

Here is my workout for today:

4 Rounds
10 Kettlebell Squat Thrust Deadlifts
20 Push ups
30 Med Ball Overhead Walking Lunges
40 Swings
50 Squats

Cindi ~ I eat the same foods all the time. It can be boring but it works for me.

Tricia ~ Enjoy your run today and your day off.

Lisa ~ We've been getting some showers from the lasting effects of the tropical depression that has fallen apart. I live about 100 miles from the Gulf. Last night it looked like it was going to rain but never did. It was warm but the breeze was heavenly. Today feels really nice so far, just off and on showers.

Alisha ~ Have fun with your editing. Hope all goes well today.

Evening Ladies!

Lisa - The heat and humidity really does wipe you out! At least you got your runs in last night and today!

Cindi - Now you're depressing me even more! I thought the higher intensity of the run would burn more calories than the lower intensity walk? Hmmm, now i may have to conduct a field test!

Alisha - You are kicking it with those CTX workouts! Hope you had fun editing!

Jane - Another great workout I see!

Well, my scheduled changed a bit. Didn't run today. We went to Walden Pond instead. Unfortunately, they don't allow dogs, so the pups had to stay home! They would have loved it! We hiked all the way around the pond 2-3 miles I'm guessing and climbed to Emerson's Cliff which was a little bit steep, but not too high. I'm counting that as my workout today. Didn't wear my HRM. I thought about it, but changed my mind. DH posted the pics on FB, so if you have access, you should be able to see them.

We had fun!

Tomorrow, we run, then DH wants to go to the beach and surf. I'll make like a whale and beach myself while he battles the waves with his surfboard!

I did Bum Bum Rapido (only 10 minutes long) and did it twice. It wasn't great but it was moving and doing something. I had to work at the coffeeshop this afternoon. Riding doubles tomorrow.

Good Morning and TGIF!!

I'm resting today. I have a couple of errands to run after work and my legs are KILLING ME! That workout yesterday was HARD! It had just rained and it was so humid outside.

Tricia ~ I saw your post about HIIT workouts. I do agree that with HIIT you continue the burn after the workout. I have been told that by at least 2 personal trainers. Unfortunately I can't really say if it's true or not. I stay away from the numbers because it tends to drive me crazy.

Your trip to Walden Pond sounded nice. You got a good workout in as well.
Have fun on your run and trip to the beach!

Lisa ~ Good job on keeping it moving.

Hi Cindi and Alisha!

Its a Friday

What a week. om kitties stuck in dryer vents. Dad going to LA. His boss is being a total jerk, and taking every Monday/Friday off but won't let Dad have a day off. But, you know what, I bet that my Dad's boss is undergoing health issues because he keeps getting fussier and crankier. Its like he had a family member in chemo or radiation. Just a guess on my part. I get to feed the kittens lunch today. I am taking the morning off. I might do that CTX KB/Hi/Lo mish mosh later today. I stabbed myself in the mouth with a fork yesterday and it really hurts, I don't even know how it happened. Its just a longer fork than I'm used to and well, ouchie!

Hi everybody!

Lisa - Have fun riding today!

Jane - Enjoy your rest day! Get some stretching in, too! Well, I know the science and I intellectually know what it all means. It's that translation to the rest of me that I'm having a hard time with! That's why I'm trying this to see what happens. I just can't seem to get my BF down, so I'm working really hard to attack that problem. I'm hoping Cathe can give me some info on how to accept it and use that to my advantage.

I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but I hope you guys are getting what I'm trying to say!

Alisha - I'm sorry your dad is having such a time with his boss! I hope things get better.
Sorry you stabbed yourself! I know how much that had to hurt! I don't usually stab myself in the mouth, but I do tend to bite the inside of my mouth a lot when I eat often drawing blood. I think my bite has shifted and my jaw is not lining up any more. It's so painful!

Hello Cindi!

HI guys!

Yesterday I went to the gym and rode the stationary bike for an hour. It had a fancy screen and programming so for 30 minutes I rode around some imaginary Chinese land chasing coins and dragons for points. Then I spent 30 minutes in a race on some mountain with snow, goats, and yeti. It really did make the time go fast and my average HR was decent - 150.

Tricia - I do believe that interval workouts have a longer burn after they are over - I thought I've read posts from women who have bodybuggs or fitbits saying they see their calorie burn go up after exercise. I thought I read somewhere too that the calorie burn effect after weights goes on for 24 hours (?) but for steady state cardio, you lose the effect relatively quickly.

Alisha - that stinks for your dad - maybe his boss will open up and share what's going on soon. Hope you mouth feels better.

Have a great weekend Lisa, Jane, lurkers. :)

Tricia - I should amend my earlier comments...

1. Equal distance covered either by running or walking results in equal (roughly) calorie burn. But I found an article that shows there is some differnce - I think they do a better job explaining it than I can. Calorie burn DOES vary by walking and running speed so you have to compare your walking pace to your running pace. For the speeds I run and walk - we are talking about 20-30 calories difference per mile.

http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm

2. Interval workouts - I googled around and found most articles reference EPOC differences between steady state and HIIT workouts to be 7% vs. 14%. So if you burn 100 calories doing steady state, your total burn is 107 if you burn 100 calories doing HIIT, total burn is 114. Most articles said it's not enough to worry about and just do what you can to fit cardio your schedule. So now I'm not sure - but what I do know is that if I have 30-60 minutes, I burn more calories when I work harder and intervals can help get my calorie burn up higher than steady state DURING the actual workout time.

Hi Cindi!

That stationary bike ride sounds like it was a lot of fun! I could do that for a while as long as my mind is engaged!

Thanks for the added information. I think part of my problem is that I haven't really considered my cals. burned in a while - actually since before I hit goal weight - and I think I'm seeing the difference between when I was heavier and now that I'm in maintenance. At least that's part of it.

I also think that, now since I've maintained for almost a year (Sept. was when I hit goal), I'm freaking out a bit that I might start slacking. Basically, I'm thinking too much. I've just got to keep "doing" and stop thinking and I should be alright! Hopefully!

I also think that, now since I've maintained for almost a year (Sept. was when I hit goal), I'm freaking out a bit that I might start slacking. Basically, I'm thinking too much. I've just got to keep "doing" and stop thinking and I should be alright! Hopefully!

Tricia ~ We won't let you start slacking!! ;) Thinking too much gets me in lots of trouble sometimes!!

Cindi ~ I like your bike workout. Sounds like lots of fun!

Saturday

I'm taking a rest day, my hams are hurtin me. I will be doing some editing, and lots of watching the TIVO:p I did get the kitchen clean this morning.

Tricia- No slacking! Work work!!!

Cindi- I've done stationary bike workouts, but my butt is too much for little bike seats:eek: Interesting info about distance/calorie burn.

Jane- How are you doing?

Lisa- Caught any fish lately?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.