Jogglers August 2010 (aka New Runners)

Good Morning!

I was suppose to do a 5K race last night but the weather was crappy. My sister and left but got 30 minutes into the drive and decided to turn around. The sky in front of us was BLACK and it just seemed like the best decision. We had another 40 minutes to go and didn't want to drive there and back in rain so I ended up taking a rest day.

I was up early this morning though for my 8+ mile run. It was a nice foggy morning but the humidity was about 90%.

Alisha and Tricia ~ I hope you are both feeling better this morning.

Lisa ~ I hope you get to go fishing today.

Hi Cindi!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Rest day

Its ttotm and I take extra rest days. Also, last night's cardio core circuit was a killer workout. Oh, my calves! For a core workout that was a lot of lunges! Tomorrow is 4DS Double Cardio Premix.

Jane- I am feeling better. Not 100% but a lot better, I woke up at 6:15 this morning without the alarm.:)

Tricia- I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa- Riding a horse or fishing both count as workouts.

Cindi- Hi!!

Alisha - Glad you're feeling better! Good workout yesterday!

Jane - I think you made the right decision too! Rain is one thing, but if it was that black, there was probably lightening as well and that's not so good! Enjoy your run this morning!

Still feeling the sore throat today, but not as badly as it started yesterday. We haven't gone for our run yet. DH wanted his birthday presents first, so he opened those. One of them was a new set of earphones for his shuffle/iPhone. Hope these last a bit longer than all the others! I got him some Jaybirds. At least they'll replace them if they die! Made omelets and biscuits for breakfast. Still have his birthday cake to bake! We're going to run a little bit later. It's pretty nice here and overcast so not too hot.

Lisa - Enjoy your rides/fishing today! One's a lower body workout and the other, upper body, so you're covered either way!

Have a great Sunday everyone! Hello Cindi!

Hi ladies,
I'm not fishing or riding today afterall but I did work out. Shocking, I know! :eek: I walked the dogs this morning, then did Namaste yoga and BBL Sculpt. I think I'm going to take my book to the beach next.

Tricia - Sounds like great birthday plans! I hope he enjoys his day and you enjoy your baking and your run.

Jane - Sorry you got rained out.

Alisha - Hope you are feeling better soon.

Cindi - Hi!

Lisa

Well, the run was kind of a bust. It was my first run in my training program and we took both pups. Peanut was herself - made it about a mile, I dragged her for half a mile, then had to walk and jog in place with her for the rest of it! LOL! She wasn't going any faster than she was going! We did check out Pierce Field! It is huge! Unfortunately, even though it's a community field, they have gates and locks around the stadium where the track is. Not sure how early they open the gates, but I doubt they're open at 5 a.m. I'm going to check it out online and see if they have a web page with hours. Unfortunately, the track isn't marked for distances in meters, so I'd still have to measure it out on my own for sprints.

Oh! Question: what is meant by a tempo run? One of my training runs calls for 5 x 1 min. tempo runs with easy jogs for 3 mins. in between each. I'm at a loss.

Either way, I still did just over 3 miles and burned 300 cals., so I'm not complaining too much. Tomorrow is Extreme Fat Fighter Workout, a timed workout with 8 exercises done with set reps x 3 rounds. If you don't see a post from me by 7 a.m. after this one, call 911! Just kidding! Looks like a toughie!

Enjoy the beach today Lisa!

Its a Monday

This morning will be 4DS Double Step Premix. That always seems like I'm working with two steps but really its just the one.:p Its ttotm and I'm tired. But, I'm being vigilant! I'm counting, weighing (not myself, that would be ridiculous, no I mean the eats.) and doing my workouts. I had spinach and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Tricia- I hope you are alive, that does look like a hard workout. I hope you are feeling better.

Lisa- I am feeling better. Not perfect, but not as bad.

Jane- I don't think I would run in black weather, that sounds risky.

Cindi- Hi !

Hi everyone - this weekend was really fun. Paul and I enjoyed our Amtrak ride and Pete picked us up when we got to MI. We saw Honor perform a musical theater number on Saturday then got to see both kids perform on Sunday (David in Jazz Band, Honor in Symphony Orchestra).

We are all home now a family of 5 again. Now it's the mad dash to the first day of school and getting ready, Dr. appointments, dentist, eye check ups, school supplies.

Alisha - glad you are feeling better.

Jane - good call on turning around I would say. At least it was 'just' a 5K.

Lisa - WOOHOO a workout! :)

Tricia - are you feeling ok today, fended off the sore throat? What kind of cake did you make?

Is that 5x1minute? or 5x1 mile? Usually a tempo run is running at race pace for a distance or time. I think of a tempo run more like 1 mile warm up 3 miles tempo, 1 mile cool down. The tricky part for me is figuring out and maintaining the tempo pace. Some programs will tell you exactly how fast to run, others just say 5K pace, or 10K pace and you have to guess based on recent races you've run or what you hope to do.

Hi ladies,
I have three days off in a row (yesterday was the first) so I'm trying to keep on a roll. This morning I did Namaste yoga and CC V3. I'm going to do Bum Bum or High and Tight too.

I posted my question about the BBL replacement bands on the video fitness forum too and was very pleasantly suprised when someone said they had an extra and offered to send it off in the mail to me! I thought that was so nice. That forum has its own personality, just like this one, but I thought it was great that someone would just offer to help someone else they don't know out like that.

Cindi - Yes, woo hoo! :) Sounds like you had a great weekend.

Alisha - Glad you are feeling a little better anyway. That's progress.

Tricia - Poor Peanut! She thought you were going out to have fun! I've learned to leave Nellie home if I really want to get quality intervals in and don't have the option of letting her offleash. This morning I ran alone because it was hot and humid and I wanted to get some good pace in on my intervals. The dogs are still upset about it. Ben's new place to sleep is right on top of the AC vent. It's right next to my chair so everytime he lifts his head, I get a little blast of cold air.

Jane - Hi!

Lisa

Alisha - I remember double step workouts! I took a workshop on those once way back in the day when I was an instructor. It was fun, but difficult. Never took off and I can understand why!

Cindi - Thanks for the additional info! I read the article Jane sent me and I need to read it again. I also need to look back at my schedule and double check if it's 5x1 minute or 5x1 mile. The article talked about doing the tempo run for a few miles, so I'm thinking I read my plan wrong.

Lisa - Good for you! I hope you are successful in working out all three days! Enjoy some of your time off too! Hit the beach, hit the beach, go fishing, did I say, hit the beach? It's nice that someone offered you a spare band! I like nice surprises like that! Too funny that your pup lays on the vent! A ride? I thought you were off today?

I did survive my workout! Whew! The sore throat resolved itself yesterday afternoon and I have not had a recurrence, yet. I'm hoping not to.

I promised Peanut I'd take her for walks instead. Tomorrow is another 3 mile run. I'll run the same route we did on Sunday but alone. I'm carrying my phone and pocketknife just in case. I'm a little bit paranoid about getting out in the dark by myself. I've never done it before, so I'm a little nervy about it. I'm going to try to push my pace since it's a short run even though the plan says "easy jog." I just want to do it in under 30 minutes.

An elderly woman at the Post Office saw me struggling to get the mail in the box. The band had come off and it was everywhere! Bless her! She had a hard time getting down the steps, but still came over and helped me get all the mail in. She had a back brace on and moved very slowly. What a wonderful woman! It made my day! Every now and then someone around here surprises me and shows me that there are one or two nice people in RI!

Have a great night! 1 day down and 2 to go until I'm off again for a 4 day weekend! Yippee!

ETA: Yep. The training program calls for 5x1 minute intervals with 3 minutes easy jog between. So, not a true tempo run, just intervals AT tempo.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I had a busy day. Here is what I did tonight.

50 Swings, 10 Sit ups, 50 Ball Slams
40 Swings, 20 Sit ups, 40 Ball Slams
30 Swings, 30 Sit ups, 30 Ball Slams
20 Swings, 40 Sit ups, 20 Ball Slams
10 Swings, 50 Sit ups, 10 Ball Slams

I'll be back tomorrow when I have more time.

Its a Tuesday

Later today will be 4DS Bootcamp/KB premix. I had roast beef and 3 pot stickers for breakfast. Yesterday's eats were unexpectedly Panda Express. I ended up there cause my brother wanted lunch and I was famished. Oh my was I hungry. I was good, I had the string bean chicken, walnut shrimp with the vegetables as a side dish (no rice/noodles). I woke up at 3 am really hungry but I just rolled over and went back to sleep, the idea of getting up was too much like work. I'm all set up for work and my workout. I will be spending my day on the computer editing footage and listening to podcasts.

Jane- I'm always impressed with your workouts.

Tricia- I hope your throat stays healthy!

Lisa- Thats great that you got a free band on that other forum. I like reading about when someone is actually nice.

Cindi- Hows it going? I hope you are well.

Hi Everyone!

I am going for a swim today. I've made a mental note to bring my ear plugs so I can actually put my head underwater. I am going to do the Tabata sprints in the shallow water too because I liked doing those.

Lisa ~ Keep up the good work in getting your workouts in. How nice that someone is giving you a free band. I post in a check-in over there but I met the people over here.

Tricia ~ I'm glad the sore throat resolved itself. I get little sore throats every once in a while. Usually it's due to sinus or just the stuff that floats in the air down here.

Alisha ~ Have fun with 4DS Bootcamp/Kickbox. That's a good workout. Lunch yesterday sounded good! Enjoy your day editing footage.

Hi Cindi!

Hi ladies - work is insane today. Did STS Disk 4 last night and going to spin in a little while.

Tricia - glad you are feeling better. That 5X1min is definitely not a tempo run, but still reapeats are always good.

Jane - how did the water workout uh.. work out for you?

Alisha - I never get out of bed to eat, no matter how hungry. I can usually get to sleep when hungry anyway. I have a harder time getting to sleep if I feel overly full or bloated. I never understood the people who get out of bed for a mid-night snack. I guess I'm too lazy to get out of bed until I have to. :)

Lisa - That forum is kind of a mystery to me. Sometimes it seems very helpful and friendly, but certain topics just always take a turn for the worst. Same here I think.

Hi Ladies!

Alisha - I would have had your breakfast with just a couple of eggs added on! How did 4DS BC/KB go today?

Jane - Hope you remembered your ear plugs today! Have a great swim/tabata workout!

Cindi - Hope STS was good for you last night! Spin a little for me today!

I did my run this morning - 3 miles in the rain, in the dark, well, not quite dark. It was starting to get lightish when I left the house. I tried to push my time a bit and ended up with average of 9:26 per mile. I managed it for a total of 28 minutes and change. It was weird to run in the morning, especially that early. I almost didn't go, but I knew I wouldn't do it after work. Funny how I used to always get it done after work and now, I can't get myself motivated to do much of anything in the evening anymore!

Tomorrow is a workout from FitMiss (or Miss Fit? I can never remember!). I'll let you know how that goes!

Oh, almost forgot, whine time: My caloric burn this morning was only 280 cals according to my Nike+. Sunday, we did 3.22 miles and Peanut forced me to walk most of it and I burned 302 cals with an average pace of 11:05 per mile. What's up with that? I worked harder today and ran much faster. I'm going to have to start wearing my HRM again to see if my Nike+ is freaking out!

Hi Lisa!

Hi ladies,
Today I did PUB Up Premix. I skipped the abs and did two rounds of abs from CC Pump. I also walked the dogs and took a short fun ride.

Tricia - That's so frustrating. I love numbers even though I realize that they aren't terribly accurate a lot of the time.

Cindi - Yeah, it's an interesting group of people but I guess every website group has it's own particular culture.

Jane - I was so pleasantly suprised!

Alisha - As a staunch cereal/soymilk or eggs/toast eater, your breakfasts all sound very non-traditional to me! I guess if you are living gluten-free that really changes your breakfast options though.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.