Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: SNM - a follow-up question

>If the settings are off on my equipment, why do all other
>Cathe DVD's & non-Cathe DVD's sound fine? Using the same
>set-up, the Hardcore music is muted. I do not use the music
>louder option on the older workouts.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't have my Hardcores yet, but all of my other Cathe dvds sound great on my player, as do my non Cathe dvds. If I adjust my settings to accomodate just the Hardcore series, are my other dvds going to have the music blaring and drowning out the instructor's voice? Will I have to adjust the sound setting each time I change dvds?

Do you all think the problem could possibly be that the music soundtrack themselves are more fluid, watery as opposed to crisp hard rock and roll (using this genre just for an example)?
I used to have my own recording studio and my DH and I have played with the Hardcores on our system and compared it to IS and BB. The only thing we have come up with is, the music being more newageish (80's)with lots of synthesizers, and Cathe's voice is a tad bit louder over this music. I know synthesizers gets watered down at times with too mixing, I used to have 4, but only 2 Korgs at present. We have tweaked our system everywhich way but loose...these are just our thoughts. ?????

Just wanted to add that (at least) one of my new Hardcore dvd's has noticable fluctuations in volume. During GS Legs, I believe it is at the end of the glute roll outs the volume drops several times and stays that way. Don't think that's anything to do with the audio settings on my dvd player.

>If the settings are off on my equipment, why do all other
>Cathe DVD's & non-Cathe DVD's sound fine? Using the same
>set-up, the Hardcore music is muted. I do not use the music
>louder option on the older workouts.
>
>Debra

This is my question too. My DVD is set to "PCM" and my TV is in stereo mode, like it always has been. I can hear their feet on the steps in IMAX3 and Low Max over the music, but I can't in any other of Cathe's step DVDs.

I reply to my post because I hadn't listened all the way through on Imax 3. I have to agree with the poster below that I hear the steps on the box louder than the music in places. So my solution above (the mix of the original soundtrack) would not be the answer as to why the stepups are louder than the music or why the music is in the background; in places mushy kind of running together--with very audible little Cathe in the forefront).

I have to agree with the posters that need a driving beat to their workouts and I have to say that extra stereo speakers help, but...the music is definately more laid back (in the background)and Cathe's voice is louder than previous workouts.

If the solution is to put the DVD's on the computer with stereo speakers, I am afaid that the majority of people do not have that option.:) Other than that, I would not know what the solution could be. ;(

Are you guys set up for surround sound? I am having no problems at all with the music, etc. And I played the DVD on both the family room setup and my workout room setup (which has surround as the family room). Now I can see that it may happen for a TV that is just hooked up to the DVD player with no speakers. Have you tried the setup SNM suggested for the DVD and TV?

I must admit, that if I heard tapping of feet and not the music it would drive me nuts.

Hey Debbie with a space H

Ha! I couldn't for the life of me remember posting to this thread! I read it like 3X and thought weird. Duuuuh, the space between "Debbie" and the "H" and of COURSE the amount of posts you have gave it away! Got anymore of my PM's or E-mails over your way again? Ha!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

>Are you guys set up for surround sound? I am having no
>problems at all with the music, etc. And I played the DVD on
>both the family room setup and my workout room setup (which
>has surround as the family room). Now I can see that it may
>happen for a TV that is just hooked up to the DVD player with
>no speakers. Have you tried the setup SNM suggested for the
>DVD and TV?
>
>I must admit, that if I heard tapping of feet and not the
>music it would drive me nuts.

We're supposed to have surround sound in order to hear the music??

No to your question, my workout room is not set up for home theater.

Debra

Like some of you, after adjusting my DVD player to PCM, I can now hear them stepping on the step and even background chatter, but the music is still low.

The sound is definitely low on Low Max - I've had to spend literally ages fiddling with my dvd and home surround set up to get the music to an acceptable level - the Intensities certainly weren't like that as the music was booming from the word go! I must admit, I am a little disappointed.
Josie

I won't receive mine until Monday but I hope that I don't have to "fiddle" with the sound. I don't with any of Cathe's other workouts so I really hope these are the same as those. Do you have to change back to the way it was when you play other workouts then?

Rachelle

RE: Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this l...

I checked with my son, the sound man. He said either somebody was lazy or in too much of a hurry, and, ultimately, the sound isn't right. We played the LowMax DVD on every piece of equipment in the house (and that selection is considerable). We PCM'd and stereoed and cranked up the volume. Even on the newest equipment, the music is difficult to discern unless all five speakers are engaged and the equalizers engaged and the bass full-on. How many of you have that kind of equipment? Do we need to buy new equipment to use this series? This shouldn't be the case. All of the other series are great.

I say its too bad and you don't deserve this. When you put in such an enormous amount of love and effort into choreography, teaching, and performing this outstanding series, it is just plain wrong to have it dealt with so sloppily by vendors. You absolutely don't deserve this. I'm so sorry. Kick some butt, Cathe! Somebody done you wrong!

RE: Hey Debbie with a space H

>Ha! I couldn't for the life of me remember posting to this
>thread! I read it like 3X and thought weird. Duuuuh, the space
>between "Debbie" and the "H" and of COURSE the amount of posts
>you have gave it away! Got anymore of my PM's or E-mails over
>your way again? Ha!
>
>Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother
>Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img]
>If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You
>DANCE!!!

I thought that was you at first too Debbie! :) Then I saw the number of posts and no flag smiley face. :p

For the record, I have now listened to all my DVD's and the only two that the music is way lower on MY system is Low Max and Imax 3. These aren't so horrible that I find it intolerable, because all these new workouts are awesome, but these two stand out as being different in sound quality from the rest of the series.

I actually did Hardcore Max premix #1 today, and there you can notice the change in sound between Imax 3 and HighStep Max. This tells me that it is not merely a setting change on the DVD player or adding or taking away stereo speakers.

It is not so annoying as to keep one from doing this workout (though louder music, not so loud studio sounds would be nice) or from purchasing these workouts, I merely say this to let the other girls know they are not going crazy. There is definately a sound difference in the mix (at somebody's end) on two of the workouts that I can hear on my DVDs.

I wonder if the problem DVD's were done in the New York or California facility? I remember Cathe said they were using two different places for this series.
Beth

I am generally a lurker as well. But, on this issue, I can not remain silent (unlike the music). I do not have an equalizer on my TV, can't find the PCM? setting under my DVD audio, but do have a computer with surround sound, have played with the audio extensively there, and the music level is not "just fine" as I've read in someone's post. Rather it may qualify for "just adequate." A big problem is, no matter what I do, Cathe just sounds too loud. Even when I was in a different part of the house, with the water running, I could distinctly hear Cathe's instruction, but the water completely drowned the music.

I also own nearly all of Cathe's workouts, thought the last two series set and broke records for innovative quality audio and other options. NOBODY could come close to their sound/music quality, except maybe a good gym. I will otherwise love the workouts, but for what it's worth, I would gladly wait a few more months next time if that is what it takes to get a better product.
Michele

After paying all that money for the series, why do I have to go through all these changes to hear the music in these workouts. I don't have to do that for my P90X dvds or any others for that matter.

Cathe or SMN can someone cxplain why it is that all other Cathe DVD's sound fine and only this series we have to do all the changing around of the "sound" to hear the music ? What did you do differnet from the othe DVD's I have that sound fine? I think it really is a little much to say we now have to have alot of "fancy" DVD players and Audio players to enjoy the workouts.... Very disapointed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.