Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this l...

You will find if you listen to all of our DVDs a range in volume levels. Put in Imax 1 and you hear a music level lower than any of our DVDs, including the Hardcores. This is also true of other DVDs we sell.

FYI: duplication has nothing to with sound volume levels. The ratio of music to vocals is determined when the workouts are edited, not when they're duplicated. We always choose the highest music level we can without causing distortion in Cathe's vocals. You can push this limit just a little, like we did in the Body Blast series, but you run the risk of distorting the vocals and not being able to understand Cathe's voice.
This, in my opinion, happens just slightly in Body blast series. If you remember, we had to eat an entire truck load of videos with Body Blast series because the music was so loud that you could not hear Cathe Clearly. We only pushed the limit just a little past the safe zone, but the result was disastrous and caused a major delay in releasing this series. We have learned to always listen to our audio engineers and never push past the safe zone.

Usually, if a song has vocals we have to decrease the music loudness level even more because vocals will cause spikes in the audio levels. This is why you will notice that the overall music loudness level for songs with vocals are usually lower than songs with just instrumentals (this may not always be true as some music by design has low and high points).

To be honest, we always think the music in all of our DVDs and videos sound too low when played on just a regular TV with a mono speaker. However, when you play the same DVD on a TV that is hooked up to a stereo correctly, you will hear a huge difference and will find the audio levels to be right on. I know several of you have complained about the music on Low Max being too low. I tried playing Low Max on a small 12 inch TV with mono only and I agree that the music is just slightly low, but not really too different from our other DVDs. But when I took Low Max and played it on my Computer and home stereo, it sounded perfect. With a mono speaker you are missing the stereo sound plus you are not hearing a large percentage of the music frequencies.

I’m sorry some of you are disappointed, but audio levels are what they are. Some music can be played louder than others, while some has to be toned down. We too understand how important it is for the music to be at the appropriate levels, but we must stay in the safe zone (and we always push the audio engineers to the limit of this zone) or the result would be you would not understand Cathe and the distortion would be unbearable. I only hope some of you that are complaining will try the workouts on a computer or DVD player that has stereo speakers and a subwoofer.

Also, please make sure you don’t have your player set to “enhanced mode” and make sure your audio settings are set for stereo and PCM.

:)

SNM, thank you for stating this. On mono TV's you get just that MONO, but on a stereo hook up it is greatly different.

JMHO

That's all fine, but some of us cannot afford to have the best system for our workout area, I don't do my workouts in my living room where my good TV and stereo are. I guess we have no choice but to deal with it!

If your tv or dvd player has ANY kind of output, you can buy some cheap stereo speakers for around $10. Most any DVD player has audio output options.

I too am one of the disappointed ones. I've been reading all the posts here and at VF and have been waffling on my feelings about the music. That is, until reading SNM's post that they hope we try the workouts on a "computer or DVD player that has stereo speakers and a subwoofer". I find that unacceptable.

I have neither of those. If I knew prior to the purchase that I'd need stereo speakers and a subwoofer (whatever that is - being the low-tech person I am) to get an acceptable level of music volume, then I could have appropriately made my decision on pre-ordering. I expected the same quality as before, not a different quality that requires additional purchases.

I have to agree with FirmDancer! Also, besides the music being MUCH lower than any other Cathe dvd I own, (and I have tried all the adjustments you recommended) there are many sound fluctuations throughout at least one (GS Legs) of my workouts. Different places throughout the workout where the volume suddenly drops and then drops again.

Last night (and I have all of Cathe's DVD's except Ab Hits) I sampled all of Cathe's DVDs on my older TV with no speakers, etc. The sound does not sound that great. When I sampled all the DVD's on my TV hooked up with speakers, etc. the sound was immensely different.

Even on some of Cathe's older DVD's that were VHS's, you can definately tell the sound quality vs her more recent DVD's in the past couple of years.

We are living in a technology age. If you have a older TV, especially from the 90's the sound is mono and terrible, compared to the newer TV's out in the 2000's where the sound is better. When you get a chance, try the DVD's on an older TV (mono) vs one with the speaker hook up. It is drastically different.

I know that Cathe or SNM are not trying to make it a requirement that people have to make additional purchases, but it is like when you go to the movies. The sound quality is wonderful. When you purchase that movie on a DVD or VHS and don't have all the speakers, etc. the sound you get from your television is altered.

JMHO

This sounds like a good reason to go with instrumental-only music in the future! (That's what I prefer anyway!;-) )

My DVD player does not have PCM mode but it has COmpression instead. Does anyone else have this, if so, do you know what the setting for compession should be?

I agree as well. On the BB I after the first preview, I only selected the Music Louder option. As this is not available on this series, I wish the sound was consistent.

I love Cathe but this blame it on the consumer responses from SNM really trouble me and it is not the first time. Last series it was our DVDs that were at fault. Now it is the lack of stereo system hook up to our television and no surround sound. Yikes!

I just followed these instructions for the Sony DVD player and the sound of the music was definitely better! I'm very happy now! Try this! It definitely helps!

Mystery solved! :)

Sanchia

After reading this entire thread I was really worried about previewing my Low Max DVD. I just previewed it and mine is fine. I tried it three different ways:

1) On my newest TV in our workout room -- nothing fancy, just a Walmart-bought stereo TV -- I could hear the music throughout the workout. The quality of sound is what I would expect from TV speakers. Doable.

2) Same TV, but hooked up to our Bose stereo speakers (how I normally workout), and TV volume off. There is no surround sound on this set up -- just a TV and 2 additional speakers. This sounded GREAT!

3) Hooked up to our TV in the livingroom with Bose surround system, we tried it two ways. On "stereo" setting, it's great. When we go to Dolby ProLogic, the dialogue channel (Cathe) is definitely louder than the music. But with the regular stereo setting, it sounds great.

The only music fluctuations I noticed in Low Max were natural -- maybe the bass line drops out while percussion only is playing, then the bass comes back in, etc. Just normal musical stuff.

I'm wondering if some of the Low Max DVDs are fine and others are not???

I just want to add my .02 - on my old player the music is lower but I can hear the music just fine. On our living room player with speakers, etc., the music is perfect. I'm not having any issues and loving this series!

Thank you Cathe!

Jo

I want to chime in and say that I'm not having any problems with the sound at all. The music is fine, and the series is incredible!

Shari

My experience has been the same as Marla and Jo. I am also fortunate to have a DH who is into the whole widescreen television/surround sound gadgetry. Today's audio and video media do not present well on yesterday's players. That being said, I believe most people need to hear Cathe's cues and would be at a great disadvantage to have her voice drowned out by louder music or, even worse, to have it distorted! A "music only" feature would have been GREAT! But I believe that subject was addressed prior to Cathe going into production for HC. People who place a high importance on that feature should have taken the lack of it on this series into consideration before ordering. And of course, if anyone feels they've received defective DVD's, they should return them for replacement. While I sympathize with those of you who are dissatisfied with the balance between vocal and music levels, the bottom line IMHO is that the product marketed and produced are EXERCISE VIDEOS not CONCERT VIDEOS. I, for one, got exactly what I paid for and am 100% satified.

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Kim -- I've been meaning to add that same signature to my posts. Love it! And, love the workout, too. Hope you don't mind if I copy. :)

Well, one thing to keep in mind- EVERY company in multi-media production has customer feedback regarding technical issues and variations. SNM just allows theirs to be public.

Marla ~

I don't at all that you've copied it. I love it, too, on MM (I think it's after pushups), when Cathe says, "This workout kicks come butt. I hope you're ready to breathe. I hope you're ready to work 'cuz you are gonna." and later, when they're changing the weight plates on the barbells, "C'mon hustle. This workout moves." I have a 65" widescreen television and I feel like I'm in an actual class. The only thing bigger than the TV in the room is Cathe's winning personality. I consider her to be my "personal trainer". I hope you enjoy and are challenged by all the HC vids. Here's to health, fitness and Cathe! Have a great weekend!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

> Cathe says, "This workout
>kicks come butt. I hope you're ready to breathe. I hope
>you're ready to work 'cuz you are gonna."

Kim -- Yes! I love that, too (from High Step Challenge I think). And I absolutely do consider her my personal trainer, too. I've had local personal trainers before, and they've not done for me what she has. She's the best! :)

BTW, I did Low Max today. Wow!!! Excellent workout. I love the music (especially "Pump up the Volume"). I almost chickened out by using a 6-inch step, but Cathe has toughened me up and I didn't allow myself to wimp out. Awesome workout.

Have a wonderful weekend. :D

I don't have mine yet and sure hope mine work well with my dvd player set-up> But I just want to add that maybe this could encourage SNM to make sure you include the "Music Louder" option in future dvd series.

I used the "Music Louder" option as often as possible with the Body Blasts and wished it were possible with the pre-mixes too. I could always hear Cathe's cuing just fine, but was able to enjoy the beat of the music even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.