Your age/your workout pace??

fitatfifty

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I'm not far away from turning 55. I owe all of my fitness health and gains to Cathe. She is simply the best IMO. I have noticed that although I can still do my Cathe WO but at a slower pace. I'm making the assumption that Cathe will slow down as well when she gets into her 50's. Does the new series move to fast for anyone? Thanks for your feedback!

I just turned 51 and have been using Cathe for about 5 years. I just got the new DVDs on 10.31.11 and so far have done Athletic Training and Step Challenge. These were tough but totally awesome workouts - I included the bonus challenge with the step workout and I was absolutely spent, but I felt like I had really accomplished something when I was done. Fabulous new choreography, too. I can't wait to try the rest of the series. In the two DVDs I've done an 8-inch step height has been used - I figure as I age I can always drop the step height, even to the point where I'm just using the platform if I have to, and use lighter weights if needed. Frankly, I think these DVDs are going to be perfect as I (we) age because of the minimal impact to joints, but talk about a phenomenal workout. I absolutely love, love, love this series!!

I'm going to be 57 in December. I was getting to the point that even though I like workouts like Imax 2, etc., & I'm able to keep up (mostly...), I was exhausted after the workouts. I have to admit that my diet is not all that "clean", & they say that affects one's energy level. But, with the new workouts, even though the pace is hard, & I still have to do a few modifications, I don't feel exhausted after the workouts.

I'm 26 and in the past year or so I got to thinking about my pace now and how it compares to a few years ago -- I feel like I had way more stamina then...no workout was too challenging for me, and I had an endless supply of energy...but now...I'm still advanced, but now and then I'll do a workout and find myself tiring out. I don't know if it's age (just a few years!) or grad school, but something's slowing me down!

I will be turning 50 in 6 weeks, yuck!!, but my issue is from not actively working out this past summer. I walked but ONLY when it was good for me. During STS, I didn't do much cardio b/c there wasnt much low impact that I owned one year ago so it was hard to start up again.

I am 50 and have found my body to be pretty cranky and creakier over the last year as I power into menopause. I had a hamstring injury in the spring that was aggravated by my group fitness teaching schedule- but once I stopped teaching high impact and concentrated on my rehab routine the injury seems to be healing- although at an excruciatingly slow pace!

I do 3 strength, 4 cardio and 3 yoga/pilates workouts a week- each about an hour long. Currently I am doing the STS Strength/cardio rotation pyramid style and have found I can do all the reps, but have had to pause the dvd to catch up on a couple of exercises (pushups and chest presses come to mind)

I have done Afterburn, Athletic training, Barre and the Step workout and had no trouble keeping up. I had to modify some stuff in Athletic training due to my injury but found I could keep up. What a great series!! These will be my "go to" workouts for sure.

I have found over the past few years that diet and sleep HUGELY impact my workouts. The better I am about eating the right stuff and getting 8 hours of sleep- the stronger I am in the workouts

I'll be 55 next week!

I really don't find that I've slowed down any, or find myself less able to do the difficult workouts.

I have discovered, in the last few years, a few things that I feel help me to work out "smarter" though. I used to think that if a workout called for ankle weights (Firm Vol 1 for example) that heavier was better. I prided myself on being able to do that workout with 5 lbs on each ankle. I figured out along the way that 5 lbs on each ankle just makes the workout harder, not more effective. I now use 2.5 lbs on each ankle with that workout, and get the exact same benefit. It's the same with other workouts in other ways.

I have the time and the energy because of my age I think. I am at a point in my life where I don't work, my child is grown, I get lots of sleep and eat correctly and exercise is a priority for me every day. That's what I do... exercise. I think some of you may be seeing a difference as you age because of outside pressures... caring for ailing parents (I've already done that and mine are gone now), caring for children, working full time, etc. It's amazing what a difference it makes to have a lifestyle that is condusive to working out. It makes a lot more difference than how old you are!

I am 48 and find the main difference for me is how often I can do high impact. I try not to do high impact more than twice a week so my knees and wonky SI joint stay happy. In other areas I just keep getting stronger and stronger - push-ups come to mind. As we age, maintaining muscle mass is a priority so I try to lift 3 days a week!

So PROUD of you all...I agree 100%

It all comes down to how we take care of ourselves on a daily basis. Personally I have been a self-confessed health nut for 20+ years. Sleep and the right foods are non-negotiable for me for my energy level. Exercise changes everything on how I feel afterward. Amazing & full of energy.
And when my mind/body connection is unified I feel as if I could soar!! Lately I have struggled with the quickness of any workouts, and find myself hitting the pause button. I hope this passes. I know listening to our bodies is crucial and we are encouraged to push ourselves a little each time during a WO. Cathe keeps me focused & motivated.

I'm 30 and in the best shape of my life thanks to Cathe. I have much more stamina than I ever had as a teenager or during my 20's.

I'm 50. I find that as long as I push myself hard (but not to the point of injury of course), I'm not slowing down, either in terms of capacity or pace. A couple of rounds of STS have helped, as well as workouts like INSANITY and INSANITY: The Asylum. For myself, I believe that the older you get, the harder you need to work to get the same results as when you were younger, but it can be done. You need to be smart about your workouts (cross-train, take scheduled rest days) but that's true at any age.

Stebby

I'll be 55 next week!

I have the time and the energy because of my age I think. I am at a point in my life where I don't work, my child is grown, I get lots of sleep and eat correctly and exercise is a priority for me every day. That's what I do... exercise. I think some of you may be seeing a difference as you age because of outside pressures... caring for ailing parents (I've already done that and mine are gone now), caring for children, working full time, etc. It's amazing what a difference it makes to have a lifestyle that is condusive to working out. It makes a lot more difference than how old you are!

ITA with this. I'm 55 and haven't needed to make any changes in my workouts, but the outside pressures of long distance care for ailing parents (now just my mother since I lost my dad last year), working full time, etc etc really saps my energy. I always feel better after I've worked out and really haven't done much in the way of modification but it's sometimes tough to get started after an exhausting day.

I'm glad that I have 20 years of Cathe experience along with other video instructors for several years prior to that who have kept me in pretty good shape and are continuing to do so. I hope to be able to keep up for 10, 20 or who knows how many years in the future before I have to slow down my workouts!

I'm 60, and although I can keep up kinda sorta, sometimes, I find this series very fast. Faster than any of Cathe's other workouts so far.

I don't think Cathe will ever slow down. :rolleyes: She's really a robot in disguise.:D

Janie

I will be 52 in a couple weeks.:eek::eek: Due to a change in my financial/job situation, I did not pre-order LIS, though I think I will be downloading several of the workouts in the coming weeks.

I've recently incorporated bicycling into my routine (it's a passion of my fiance) and have found that I'm getting really good results from doing mostly that as my cardio. I can't believe how much my waistline has shrunk!:rolleyes:

Yesterday, I did Kickmax for the first time in a while and was surprised by the cardio blast section, because I'd forgotten how seriously high impact it is, with lots of tuck jumps, jumping jacks etc. My knees were complaining, and I modified here and there, but got through most of it. I felt great afterward. :D However, I find that it's not the kind of thing I want to do on a regular basis, which is why I look forward to LIS. :D

I've been doing yoga for years and find that I reach for that more and more to help balance out the "hardcore" stuff.

I'm 59 and had been wondering after the last series how long I could/should be doing such hi impact so I'm glad for this new low impact series. I started Low Impact Challenge on a 6" step in order to learn the footwork. It does get complicated at time. When I got the footwork down I went back to 8" My biggest challenge is balance work in the Yoga positions.

I am 52 and have done Cathes workouts for 20 years. I have also been a runner for 30+ years. What can usually slow me down is weight gain and menopause added some of that besides the lack of sleeping! Injuries can slow me down too. I do avoid most high impact workouts if my weight is up or if I am injured. I have to say though that I LOVE this new series. I have done every workout except for Cardio Supersets, Yogamax and Slide & Glide. I have waited so long for Cathe to put out a Yoga DVD and I am not disappointed...:)...The 1st time I did TriSets Lower I was amazed at the DOMS. Those dixie cups are deadly....This whole LIS series really seems to work your core which menopause can mess with. My running has for sure gotten slower over the years....but I am still out there. And as long as Cathe produces awesome DVDs and I can still run, I will try not to slow down too much...

Great feedback!

I'm aware of the physical changes so this new low Impact series could not come at a better time. We are all very active and that's a huge plus at any age.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.