Younger looking skin, facial fillers, any recommendations?

BAM

Cathlete
I've been taking care of my skin for many years. With lots of life stuff happening recently, the toll of it has effected my skin. I like using chemical free products but I'm considering finding anything that really works that would make a difference. Have you found any facial serums or creams that really added a youthful look to your skin? I'd also like to find a facial filler for the deep set nasolabial fold lines (nose to lips) but don't know if there are any good ones out there? Have you discovered one? Please let me know if you have found any miracle products.:) I'm in need of finding something good that works to lift my spirits........along with the sagging skin. :D

Thanks!
Bam

Bam,

My favorite source for information and products for anti-aging is Paula's Choice. To me she's the Cathe of skin care. Of course, YMMV but I love her products and have used them for years. They really work.

RESIST Anti-Aging System: Paula's Choice Skin Care & Cosmetics

That being said, I've also recently seen a cosmetic dermatologist and am considering some laser treatments in the future - both for redness and brown spots so that'll mean two different lasers for me, I'm not quite ready for fraxel.

I also got a prescription for Retin A and I can already see a reduction in my "elevens" between my eyes. I have the wonderful combination of acne prone skin with wrinkles coming on....I'm 44 now so....the baby-oil years in southern California are catching up with me... :eek:

It all depends on your risk/benefit ratio feelings, and if you're willing to be obsessively diligent with sunscreen use.

Good luck, I know you'll get plenty of interesting responses from the educated crowd!

Thanks Suzanne for the great info! I know a lot of people here like Paula's Choice and Retin-A which I wouldn't be able to get a prescription for right now. I love hearing what works for everyone. I will be perusing the link for Paula's site. Glad you're finding results with Retin-A.

Thanks again!
Bam

Skinactives sells high quality products at reasonable prices. They cater to DIY skincare fanatics like me but they also sell premade products that have much more potent ingredients than your standard drugstore/dept store products. They sell a Vitamin A cream that is a gentler alternative to Retin A.
SkinActives.com

Another company with great products is NCN Skincare. You can contact Nanci, the owner, directly with questions - she's really helpful and sweet. They sell some Vit A products as well.
Skin Care, Anti-Aging, NCN Professional Skin Care

Try to use a good sunscreen to protect your skin - everyone should anyway, but it's especially necessary when you're using a Vitamin A derivative.

Hope this helps! I'm usually pretty quiet on forums but I could talk about skincare all day :p

My derm has said if you do one thing only for anti-aging - retinoids are the gold standard. For what it's worth :D OTC retinols are a great way to slowwwwly (especially if you have sensitive skin like me :confused:) build up to a prescription retinoid.

Personally... I like botox for my 11 ... I only do it about once a year - makes an amazing difference - especially when I'm tired and stressed... keeps me from looking tired and stressed LOL :eek: I had a friend who did botox for her crows toes... wouldn't recommend that. It changed her smile and whole look of her face and not in a good way. Luckily, it wears off :D

Crows toes - the little fine lines we start to get under the eyes (or smile lines)

Skincare and Beauty Blog: Beauty Products Reviews, Advice and Tips from Dermstore - lots of articles and Q&A about skincare. You can search around on the site for whatever specific issue you're targeting - i.e. hyperpigmentation. Dermstore also carries a lot of products you traditionally could only get in a derms office.

I like Skin-CareMD.com because they carry a lot of the same high quality derm brands and offer 25-30% off discounts regularly through their newsletter. I don't buy unless there's a coupon. :p

Both sites have free shipping

A good retinol and sunscreen are my go to products

For topical treatment of wrinkles and skin discoloration, tretinoin (Retin-A, Tazorac) is the best, but requires a prescription. Hydorquinone is good for discoloration, but it also requires an rx.

Microdermabrasion treatments are quite effective for both, as well, but can be expensive and require a number of sessions.

Botox and Rejuvederm (a filler) are good for deeper wrinkles, as is laser therapy, but $$$!!!

Good luck!

Retinol products contain the same active ingredient as rx tretionoin - it's just in a form that has to be broken down by the skin. You will receive the same results - but it will take longer than if you used a rx formulation - it's all Vitamin A.

Hydroquinone is also available without a prescription in lower doses. There is some controversy surrounding the strength and it's effectiveness vs. risk of side effects.

Above all - I feel the overriding advice to any anti-aging routine is sunscreen. There's no point spending small or big $$ on products if you aren't going to protect your skin from the sun.

There's no substitute for knowledge - it's important to research and know what you're working with. Opinions obviously vary widely but ultimately...it's your own face....gotta do what works for you! :)

Thanks everyone for the great info! Someday, when I start making $$$ again, I know I will be in the dermatologist's office doing my maintenance ;). Has anyone used any of the temporary fillers that they sell over the counter for the deeper set lines? I know HSN and QVC sell stuff as well. Do any of them work?

Thanks again!
Bam

Vitamin C in powder form...mix 1/4 teaspoon, mix with water, apply with cotton ball, allow to dry, then rinse...Keep extra SEALED in the fridge...Fights free radicals and takes care of many skin boo-boo's on you face, from age spots, to preventing (and correcting) wrinkles...

story1267 said:

Above all - I feel the overriding advice to any anti-aging routine is sunscreen. There's no point spending small or big $$ on products if you aren't going to protect your skin from the sun.

There's no substitute for knowledge - it's important to research and know what you're working with. Opinions obviously vary widely but ultimately...it's your own face....gotta do what works for you! :)

Yep. Wish I had known how bad the sun is when I was a teen. All those years of baby oil out in the sun:(. Back then I didn't give wrinkles or skin cancer a second thought. I really slather on the sun block now and hope it will prevent more damage.

At least my girls know about protecting themselves from the sun. I can't wait to see their skin when they are my age. I bet it will be so much nicer than mine is now. I hope it is.

Love that Vitamin C powder tip. Why didn't I think of that? :confused: I've got some in my vitamin drawer and will be trying that today.

Thank you!

Bam

vitamin c- can you use the vitamin tablets?

and now I'm reminded to start up using my retin-a again. I use it off and on trying different things, but it's one thing I've used pretty much consistently since my teenage acne years and I think it has helped with preventing wrinkles. most people think I'm much younger than I actually am :) I've also been pretty good with the sunscreen... some days I skip it, but most of the time it's on.

I've also recently started trying dermarolling/skin needling, mostly for acne scars and stretch marks but I'm starting to get the 11 between my brows and it seems to be helping to make it less noticeable. it involves using a little gadget with a bunch of small needles so it's not everyone's cup of tea though since the needles can look scary!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.