You favorite paper workouts

rhbrand

Cathlete
Just wondering what some of your favorite paper lifting workouts are. I liked New Rule of Lifting for Women, until the later stages when it took forever to get a workout done. I quit.

I've got Beautiful Badass from Nia Shanks, but sadly, never done it. Also have the original Turbulence Training which was ok.
I'd like to find a few paper workouts I could do at home, and then alternate a video rotation with a paper rotation to mix things up. Someday I will be investing in some more gym equipment like squat stands and such so I can lift heavy at home, unless a gym opens up in my town someday.

Thanks in advance!

Just wondering what some of your favorite paper lifting workouts are. I liked New Rule of Lifting for Women, until the later stages when it took forever to get a workout done. I quit.

I've got Beautiful Badass from Nia Shanks, but sadly, never done it. Also have the original Turbulence Training which was ok.
I'd like to find a few paper workouts I could do at home, and then alternate a video rotation with a paper rotation to mix things up. Someday I will be investing in some more gym equipment like squat stands and such so I can lift heavy at home, unless a gym opens up in my town someday.

Thanks in advance!

Jen Sinkler's Lift Weights Faster 2, is another good one. Right up there with Nia. Jen's husband has a great program. MominVT (Roz) has been using it. She's been posting on Nia Shanks thread. She's enjoying it and getting great results. Hope she posts, she will be able to give you a better idea of what it's about. I hate to speak for her, but, I believe she is loving it.

Bikini Body Guide by Kayla Itsines, if you can ignore all the you tube hype it is actually a very good and streamline 28 minute circuit workout that builds progressively within 12 weeks. Lots of step ups and plyos but very good workout. Simple and to the point. You need a gym boss timer, a box to do step ups and a jump rope.
Sadly, it does have burpees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to nia's stuff, lift weights faster and get stronger faster, I also have Mark Lauren's book You Are Your Own Gym. It's full of great ideas for exercise progressions, but I've not actually followed any of the programmes in it.
I'm doing paper programmes for the first time - and loving them.

I am going back to paper programs which is where I started. I couldn't find anything that I really liked so I am going old school. Rachel McLish. I just ordered her 2 books.

I would second the Lift Weights Faster 2 mentioned above though I haven't done it as a program- just plugging them in here and there. I have also done two programs by Matt Wiggens of Workingclassfitness.com. The first, a 16 week program called Working Class Cardio designed to build work capacity and another 8 week program called #Torch. Both designed to be done at home using mainly dumbells (you also need a timer and some sort of bench for step-up and jumps). Both are circuit based programs with very specific progressions. So much so that by the end of the 16 week Working Class Cario program I had built capacity to the point of doing 175 Medicine Ball Burpees. Workouts typically took between 45-60 minutes to complete depending on how much break I took between circuits.

I've been eyeing Tactical barbell II as having heard only really good things about it. Anyone try that one out?
I generally find paper programs a real challenge to commit to. It's my personality I suppose not finding it motivating enough. Also, I don't exactly have my own workout space so I always feel like I am taking over the living room. Somehow by putting a video on, other people get that.
I am definitely watching this thread!! :)

dmerz- I like the sound of building work capacity. Is Working Class Cardio a complete programme? How many days per week, and how long is each workout? I know I need to work on endurance....

Jen Sinkler's Lift Weights Faster 2, is another good one. Right up there with Nia. Jen's husband has a great program. MominVT (Roz) has been using it. She's been posting on Nia Shanks thread. She's enjoying it and getting great results. Hope she posts, she will be able to give you a better idea of what it's about. I hate to speak for her, but, I believe she is loving it.
Just reading this thread now!
Karen, you can definitely speak for me. :)
Yes, I'm loving Get Stronger Faster 2 (written by Jen Sinkler's husband, Dave Dellanave). You implement biofeedback testing to see which variation of a given movement tests best (so if it's squat day, you test goblet squats, barbell back squats, and barbell front squats and go with the one that tests best). I can't recommend it enough; however, if you already have Nia's BBA program, I'd recommend doing a BBA program first. There's a lot of new info to implement with GSF2 about biofeedback, so I was glad that I already had a feel for appropriate weight selections, technique, etc. from the two BBA programs I'd just completed.
Also, I really can't say enough good things about Lift Weights Faster 2. It's outstanding, and so fun. I think it's a great complement to a heavy lifting program like Nia's or Dave's. Of course, you could do it as a stand-alone and get plenty of strength work in, too. If you buy LWF2, you can add on GSF2 for fairly cheap, so you can play with it when you choose to.
Hope that helps!
Roz

dmerz- I like the sound of building work capacity. Is Working Class Cardio a complete programme? How many days per week, and how long is each workout? I know I need to work on endurance....

Justinef -

It is a 16 week program, 5 days per week. There are 4 phases. Each phase has 3-5 different workouts that you rotate though building in volume each week for 3 weeks and then a back off/active recovery week. Each phase has a slightly different feel some more cardio driven some more weight driven. Its a lot of bodyweight moves (mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc) lots of explosive power moves (DB clean & press, DB snatch, swings, plyo jumping) and a lot of burpees (the first phase I think I counted that I did over 1,100 burpees). Weight sets are low- typically 6 or 8 reps but designed to be followed by a cardio move. Workouts took me between 30 and 50 minutes to complete. (This particular program isn't on the market - I emailed him directly and that was what he recommended to start with.) Some of the shorter days I added in some Cathe step workouts just for fun. He tells you what to do for warm-up but you are on your own for cool-down - which is pretty typical of a paper program I think.

He's got another program out that looks really good but I don't have the equipment to do (need a squat rack or tower) called Torch your Barbells that does strength circuits, cardio building days and a day called "Mad Science" that might be right up your alley since you've been doing Nia's programs.

I really like his "no-nonsense" approach, his programs are challenging and progressive and he's been very responsive to emails/questions with the programs. However, in the interest of full disclosure he comes from a background of training MMA fighters and mainly markets to guys so his language can get pretty "sailor". If that bothers you I would stay away!

dmerz - thank you for the review. I think I may have to try one of his (I can ignore the language!) I'm committed to very specific strength goals at the moment, but when (?) I reach those I'll be wanting to do something different for a little while. Torch your Barbells sounds great, if only for the Mad Science workout. Who can resist a name like that? So now I have another series to add to my list of things to try...

dmerz - thank you for the review. I think I may have to try one of his (I can ignore the language!) I'm committed to very specific strength goals at the moment, but when (?) I reach those I'll be wanting to do something different for a little while. Torch your Barbells sounds great, if only for the Mad Science workout. Who can resist a name like that? So now I have another series to add to my list of things to try...

That does sound like a good one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.