Yoga recommendations for neck/spine issues and for a GUY?

MCunningham

Cathlete
Hello!

My husband has been suffering with pretty debilitating neck pain of undetermined source for several years (MRIs, Xrays, and nerve conduction tests are inconclusive).... he's tried physical therapy and acupuncture in addition to his pain management medications over the last 3 or so years and neither one has helped. However, his new pain management doctor suggested that he try swimming and yoga (neither of which we have much experience with). I'd like to get him to try yoga because we don't have easy access to a kid-free pool where he might be able to swim laps in peace.

So my question is for all you yoga practitioners-- can you recommend a few yoga DVDs that might be good but not too "spiritual" (i.e. nothing that would turn off a guy used to weight lifting and playing soccer) for us to try?

Thank you in advance!

MC

I wish I could. Unfortunately, the only yoga DVDs I have are of the "power" variety, and it sounds like your husband would benefit more from a "restorative" practice.

Here are Amazon's hits for "Restorative Yoga."

* I would look for a yoga studio in your area first. See if someone near you offers a restorative class or a class for chronic pain.

You mentioned that he has tried physical therapy. Did this include massage therapy? The reason I ask is because I had chronic (years!) shoulder pain that didn't respond to anything except massage. I started seeing a massage therapist last November and went from the kind of pain that was limiting my workouts (had to stop STS...grrr) and affecting my daily life to -----> pain free 99% of the time. When I do experience pain now, it's localized and fleeting, and it doesn't affect my lifestyle at all.

Viniyoga. There are two DVDs. One for neck, and upper back and the other for lower back and sacrum. The delivery is dry but factual and completely devoid of philosophy or mysticism.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.