Yoga/Pilates Suggestions

mabdoo

Cathlete
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on a good, SHORT yoga or pilates DVD. I don't like doing these activities as I find them incredibly boring. I know that I get a good workout in but my mind can't help but wander to how I am not running or moving a lot and I get antsy. I am also not very flexible which explains my need for more of this. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. Thanks so much.

My favorite new find is Kathryn Ross-Nash's New York Pilates. It's hard! There are two 20-minutes workouts: one is tummy & tush; the other is legs & arms. I usually do them both, but sometimes just the tummy & tush.

I also like Hilary Burnett's Pilates Advanced, which is a 20-minute workout that moves very quickly through a whole Pilates routine, with a minimum of repetitions.

Jonathan Urla's got some good stuff too (Yogilates), but I haven't actually done them yet.

Hope you find something you like!

Try Baron Baptiste - Unlocking Athletic Power. It's around 25 minutes long & it's especially good for hamstrings & glutes.

Lily

Check out Shiva Rea's Daily Energy. There are seven short practices (20 minutes) that you can do on their own or mix and match. There is also a 7 minute core routine, a 5 minute forward bend routine, and 2 mediatations that you can add on if you like. You get a lot of options on one DVD and can modify the practices to suit your level or make it more challenging as you progress.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Shiva's Daily Energy. This was my most used DVD of 2010. I wish she'd make another one just like it (with different poses of course).

Also, Elle Yoga has two 20-minute workouts which are led by Tara Stiles.

Also agree with Hilary Burnett's Advanced Mat Pilates. Another good one is 10MS Quick Sculpt Pilates (50 minutes in total but you can pick and choose which parts you want to do). Four out of five workouts use the ball which adds more of a challenge. The last one is standing pilates without the ball which is great for balance. The core segment is challenging. These workouts are fast-paced.

Other good pilates DVDs: Kristin McGee's Weight Loss Pilates (two 30-minute workouts) and MTV Pilates Mix (also two 30-minute workouts and a 12-minute bonus leg workout).

Marcy

Don't confuse constant movement or the lack of movement with progress. Flexibility training is a slow and steady process. Yoga is also a practice for the mind. Keep in mind that when you feel that 'heat' that many people feel with yoga that you are indeed in fat burning mode. So, what I'm saying is that you don't need to worry that it isn't helping, it is, just not in the same way.

I recommend the YogaToday.com workouts. They are free and stream to your computer. Many of them are shorter, 30 min. practices.

i got a good one for Christmas, Sara Ivanhoe's Body Makeover - it's 2 discs w/ 3 workouts on each, each workout is 20 mins. i like it because it's short, there is good variety (one has light hand weights, one has the stability ball) and it's very easy to follow.

Rodney Yee's 'AM Yoga' for your week has five short (approx 20 minute) good workouts. His' Ultimate Power Yoga' also has five short workouts.

Some of Shiva Rea's dvds have a matrix that allow you to program your own workout to the desired length or sequence that you desire. I lke her 'Daily Energy' and her 'Fluid Power' workouts.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will read through the descriptions online later today and make a decision.

Shiva Rea

Love any of her stuff. I have Yoga Flow. I love that it has a matrix and is easy to customize a workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.