Yoga or Pilates

Hi Ladies.
Does anyone have advice about adding yoga or pilates to a strenth training/running routine. I lift 3x per week and power walk or run 4-6 days a week (4-10 miles). I'd be willing to trade out one or two of those workouts for the variety and benefit of yoga/pilates. I need to improve my flexibility. I gather there are different types of yoga. I'm not into chanting or putting my ankle behind my neck. I've tried Denise Austin fat burning yoga--it's OK, but boy is she irritating as an instructor. I know you ladies are experts on just about everything fitness, so I'm looking for your advice.
Thanks a bunch.
Sherie

Sherie, this should probably be posted on the "Other Videos" or the "Open" forum since Cathe doesn't sell any pilates or yoga workouts. Her 2 stretching DVD's might be the ticket if you're only focusing on flexibility.

There are tons of threads asking for pilates or yoga workout suggestions. At least one per month; sometimes more than 1 a week. So a search would bring up a lot of information.

Once you look through the threads, post again on one of the other forums to get specific advice on your needs & what you're looking for.

Because of all your power walking & running, there are 2 yoga workouts that you might like. They are both called "Yoga for Athletes". One is a Rodney Yee workout, one is a Bodywisdom workout. They both have sport specific premixes.

Debra

Gaiam (www.gaiam.com) produces high quality DVDs for both yoga and pilates. If you've never done either in a live class format you might find it very helpful. The instructors can help you with positions and allignment then once you have it you can do it at home with confidence. Also, I enjoy live classes because they vary so you aren't doing the same routine over and over. I do both live classes and DVDs.

Yoga, depending on the type is going to be more for flexibility and/or relaxation. Some types are aerobic and/or strength (power yoga), but since you already have those areas covered you may want to look for more of the gentle stretch type.

Pilates is Core strength and flexibility oriented. It focuses on how you hold your core (neutral spine) and a lot on breath (yoga focuses on breath too but differently). I know very little about pilates and only do it occasionally so maybe someone else can help you more.

Sherie --

I would recommend a book and not a DVD. (There are plenty of DVD recommendations elsewhere.) The book is not currently in print but it's easy to get used on Amazon.com for a few bucks. It's by Jean Couch and called "Runner's World Yoga Book". It's very approachable, Western, clear, and form-oriented. There are lots of photographs of three models of varying degrees of flexibility (one woman, two men) dressed in running gear. At the end are programs to follow to get you started. Especially valuable are the warm up and cool-down stretches for runners.

I've done yoga for many years and often return to this book for tips and sequences.

I have added yoga to my fitness routine and it has done wonders.

May I suggest the Bodywisdom DVD - Yoga for Everybody? It is non-mystical. It has 35 sep. workouts - beginner/interm/adv. -varying in length of time.

It is one instructor with a voice over. The poses are taught slowly and I find that this DVD works well as a substitute for a stretch after a workout. For example, after an aerobic workout or leg workout, instead of the usual athletic stretch, go to one of the practices concentrating in feet/legs/ankles, or has lunge series etc. etc. I use the DVD the most of all my yoga media.

Hi Sherie,

I don't have much experience with yoga but I've done pilates with a certified trainer using the reformer. You can do full body work outs on the reformer but the emphasis is on your core. It gives your muscles a lean, long appearance, like a dancer. I saw results very quickly--it does wonders for core strength, posture, and flexibility.

Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.