Yeast Infections

You can get gentian violet from the pharmacy counter. They don't keep it on the shelves. When I was breast feeding I passed my yeast on to my baby who then passed it back to me...viscous cycle! I had to paint his mouth with Nystatin and gentian violet three times a day. His mouth was always purple and so were my breasts from him nursing. It was pretty funny. :) Gentian violet is wonderful stuff!

Here's my son with his purple mouth...and hands and forehead! :) He's almost 11 now!

Attachments

• joseph.jpg
    joseph.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 27
Another chronic yeast infectioner over here (is that even the right term? LOL). I suffered for about 15 years on/off with the usual symptoms of itchiness, redness, discharge, HELL ON EARTH. I found Monistate 3-Day ovules to be the most helpful, and that includes trying prescription oral dose medication, which NEVER worked. Out of desperation while I was pregnant (I was SO scared to get a yeast infection) I took my doctors advice, which I was hesitant to do, and stopped wearing underwear. It took me a long time to get accustomed to this, but I was willing to try anything at that point. I also started shaving the private area entirely. It's been 4 years and NO yeast infection. Sorry if this was TMI.

Don't forget to wipe front to back after #2. My aunt was wiping back to front and would get yeast infections all the time and it never occurred to her that the bacteria was entering her vagina.

Another suggestion, be sure to urinate before and after sexual intercourse, just as others have mentioned.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Very helpful suggestions here.

Good luck & take care,
Natasha

Last edited:
Here's my son with his purple mouth...and hands and forehead! :) He's almost 11 now!

Both of my kiddos had oral thrush when they were infants and we had the same issue with breastfeeding! We did the purple paint too!:D My son's cleared up after the second dose of genetian violet but my poor poor daughter kept getting it over and over. Then we struggled with the most horrendous yeast diaper rashes I've ever seen. She was in so much pain and it was constant. She'd get it so bad the rash would turn into ulcers that would bleed!:( We finally had to have a standing RX for nystatin cream since the OTC products stopped working. She still to this day has problems (she's almost 5). She gets yeast infections every time she gets sick, even if it's just a cold. I think it has something to do with her immune system being compromised so she can't fight off the yeast that is still apparently present in her body. We try probiotics but aren't always consistent and sometimes she won't take them even though they're chewables and are supposed to taste okay. She just likes to be stubborn sometimes, though.;)

I so worry about my poor baby and what kind of problems she may have to struggle with regarding the yeast problem. I have a feeling she may have issues like you guys are talking about. I've asked the doctor about Diflucan for her but they seem reluctant and won't prescribe it. I suppose they don't want to give it to someone so young?

Well, I just got done at the doctor's. Yep--it's yeast. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and helpful suggestions. As this is obviously something I'll have to deal with my whole life, I really appreciate any and all advice.

I've got a scrip for a triple treatment of Diflucan and I'll be off to grab a good probiotic. Teach me to let that lag. The health food store isn't particularly convenient. Everything else I get on Amazon because it's much less expensive, but the stuff that needs to be refrigerated I can't do that with.:(

I blame overuse of antibiotics growing up. My mother and the doctors didn't know any better back then. But we had a doctor who was a family friend and whenever one of us kids so much as sneezed, she'd call up the doctor and he'd prescribe an antibiotic. Plus, I'd get strep throat a couple times a year. Not good. Now I get to live with the result. Oh, the countless joys of being female.

The plus is that all you female Catheletes can relate. Thanks again for your support!

I don't suffer from this myself but a friend of mine had yeast so badly that she would get a rash on her whole body. She followed the Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates (it's a book) and had great success. The diet is very strict while you are ridding your body of yeast but it seemed healthy to me (although I didn't research it well).

I too had purple mouthed babies and purple boobs.

I also figured out that when I used certain cleaners like kaboom for the shower stall that I would get a yeast infection about 2-3 days later. I know it sounds weird, but I would clean the shower stall naked because I always got soaking wet when I rinsed the shower stall anyway. The fumes from the cleaner killed of the good stuff and created the lovely imbalance.

The bottle brush made me LOL. I would dig myself raw. Now I am a commando girl also and I have my back-up meds just in case.

Sarah

I'm journaling my treatment just in case it helps anyone.

My skin is all itchy/crawly. But I'm glad for the die-off symptoms because at least it means that SOMETHING is happening. Plus, I dropped 4 pounds--yay! The other 2 times I had fluconazole, I dropped 5 pounds during the treatment but it piled right back on, despite my best efforts. Hopefully this treatment will do the job and I can keep it off.

I've always struggled with yeast. I've done cleanses and yeast-control diets in the past. I can trace this current episode back 2 years this June. I was in the best shape of my life. I had just completed my first found of STS and had run a marathon. I was feeling on top of the world. Then our family got hit with a killer sickness that lasted 6 weeks. It was awful. Despite my reluctance to take antibiotics, I was willing at the time to do just about anything to feel better. I tried to take probiotics as a preventative, but I guess it wasn't enough. Anyway, 15 pounds piled on at an alarming rate! I've been struggling to lose them ever since. Interestingly, whenever I'd manage to lose a few pounds (I could never lose more than 5 and that was a HUGE struggle), my yeast symptoms would worsen and within 2 days the pounds would be back on.:(

In addition to the prescription anti-fungal, I'm taking an intensive 10-day probiotic. And, while I eat very clean, I'm avoiding all foods on the "no" list for yeast control. I really hope this can do the trick. I'll keep you posted, if anyone is interested.

Interestingly, it looks like the Paleo diet fits nicely with yeast control.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.