Cathlete
I've read on the blog that the following is needed for XTrain:

step
dumbbells
firewalker loop
resistence tubing
discs
chair

Is this correct? Also the reviews I read on the firewalker loop was not good. Something about cancerous materials and it breaks easily? What experience do you all have with them? I don't have the loop but I have the bands. Are they made of the same material? I also don't have the discs or tubing. I've tried using paper plates and they only work so so on carpet.

Thanks,
Allison

Hi Allison -

The fire walker bands are made of the same stuff as the bands, so I don't think they'll give you cancer. My guess is there's something in them that runs afoul of California's labeling laws, which is why that warning is included, otherwise they couldn't e sold in California. If you buy a pair of earbuds, they will also have a little label on them that says they contain materials that can cause cancer (in California). I love the firewater bands....they're way more convenient than tying the band, but if you don't mind tying and untying the bands, no need to buy the firewater loops.

Regarding the sliding discs, I really like them, but before they came out, I used a set of "moving men" furniture sliding discs that I already had in the house. They worked great on carpet and wood floors (wood floors I don't mind being junked up...I would not use them on nice wood floors....for that I would definitely use Cathe's with the covers).

Hope that helps!

XTrain equipment

I didn't want to be paranoid, but had to ask. :) thanks for the response. I'm a Philly girl so I don't care to keep up with the CA laws too much. But I was wondering about the reviews. What about the breaking of the loops? I've had no problems with the bands.

So are there other pieces of equipment that I would need than those that I listed at first?

Thanks,
Allison

I've read on the blog that the following is needed for XTrain:

step
dumbbells
firewalker loop
resistence tubing
discs
chair

Is this correct? Also the reviews I read on the firewalker loop was not good. Something about cancerous materials and it breaks easily? What experience do you all have with them? I don't have the loop but I have the bands. Are they made of the same material? I also don't have the discs or tubing. I've tried using paper plates and they only work so so on carpet.

Thanks,
Allison

The warining label you see on most of the Fitness By Cathe products (Including DVDs included with all products) are because of a California law which requires us to either to put the warning label on the package or prove that a product does not cause Cancer. Since it is virtually impossible to prove that a product doesn't cause cancer and to avoid a lawsuit from California the warning label is added to most of the products we sell. Most other companies that sell in California do the same. By the way... nearly all stretch bands regardless of who you purchase from are made from the same ingredients as ours . The Federal Government and every other state does not require the warning label, only CA does. I'm sure this was a well meaning law, but it has had some unintended consequences.

As far as breaking goes we have never had a firewalker loop break in any rehearsal or in the filming of any of our videos in all the years we've been doing them. Bands will not last forever, but they really don't break from stretching. The way a band breaks is from slight tears along the edge which usually happens if you're not careful pulling your band over your shoes. The slightest tear along the edge of the band will cause it to completely tear in half, so you have to be careful when putting them on.

Last edited:
LadyLep said:
I didn't want to be paranoid, but had to ask. :) thanks for the response. I'm a Philly girl so I don't care to keep up with the CA laws too much. But I was wondering about the reviews. What about the breaking of the loops? I've had no problems with the bands.

So are there other pieces of equipment that I would need than those that I listed at first?

Thanks,
Allison

I have used the fire walker bands a lot and did have one snap. It just fell to the floor...and it was the first time I used it. None of the other bands have failed on me, so I don't know what the deal was. I think if they were snapping left and right, there would be a lot more chatter on these boards, it's just that yes, the can and do snap, but I think that's the exception, not the rule.

I've had Cathe's firewalker loops for a while now and did not have any break yet, but they are starting to get streched out because I do use them a lot. The same goes for my regular bands. Eventually, they all do break. I just always keep spares around just in case. But I do love Cathe's firewalker compared to a different brand I bought online. Cathe's are more comfortable around the ankle, so I'll keep buying these from Cathe.

My green firewalker band did break on me. I was only using it for Butts & Gutts, so it was not getting a lot of use, and I always untied it before taking if off, so I don't think I caused any tears. It is probably a fluke.

My complaint would be that I have been unable to find just the green band. You have to buy the set of three again (I'm not using the other two (pink/blue) to begin with so why do I want another set?).

I ended up buying a different type of band that were sold as singles and they are not as good :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.