Xtrain Bis and Tris Review (and general xtrain comments)

Trixoo

Cathlete
Hi everybody -

Wow, I can't believe I get to submit the very first review of an Xtrain workout! :). Obviously I got the downloads.

I did a spin session earlier this evening, but was so excited to get Xtrain, I figured I could squeeze in some upper body work. My legs are toast, and even the warm up seemed challenging to my jello legs! :). My upper body was nice and rested, though.

I had intended to do Burn Sets Bis and Tris, but I guess it's a testament to my excitement that I accidentally selected the Xtrain Bis and Tris instead. I was well not the workout before I realized what I'd done.

First, the set and filming are GORGEOUS...the pictures we've seen are great, but you won't believe how these workouts look in motion. I'm not sure if they've added different cameras, trolleys or what (I don't know anything about filming), but it looks so cinematic. Cathe's workouts have always looked good, but this takes it to a new level!

Everybody look gorgeous/handsome, as you know from the photos. It was fun to see Greg again (I know Cathe would never do anything so unprofessional, but can I just say I wish Greg did these workouts shirtless....I mean that studio must be so hot...I'd hate for him to be uncomfortable). I think Al's a great addition...he is INTENSE. I've only seen him in this one workout, so he may be different in the others, but he's clearly concentrating on what he's doing. No smiles (but not at all unfriendly,..just focused, like somebody you'd want work

Thanks so much for posting. I have been checking the forums and Facebook every two seconds today to see if anyone had any info about the workouts! Keep it coming!

Dang I wish that the Cathe app was fixed....is so hard to type any message, and it's nuts trying to make any corrections, plus you can only type so far down the page and you can't see what you're typing anymore....you should see me twisting and turning my iPad as I'm trying to type this!

Okay, to complete my thought about Al, I was trying to say he's intense like somebody you'd like to have as a workout partner, which is why I like him as part of the crew.

I love, love, love the feature that shows you what weights Cathe is using. Since the workout cards aren't available in the workout manager (I already have most of my 1RMs done from STS), I just used Cathe's weights. Ummm...I got a dang good workout! She got me on tricep extensions and concentration curls....I went to failure on both of those using her weights, but was able to hold my own on pretty much everything else, barely!

I liked not repeating any move more than once. I don't mind repetition, especially in weight workouts, but this was nice for those moves I despise (triceps extensions top that list).

Cathe's cuing is fantastic as always. I love it when she gives lots of form pointers, which she does. There are new moves and some old favorites (and old favorites with twists...anybody for doing triceps kickbacks in plank pose? NOT EASY!). For those of you who don't have the tubing, it is used in this workout, but I think you could easily substitute a band (not sure why she's not using the band for these...although the handles on the tubing is more comfortable in my opinion).

Bottom line: Cathe fried my arms! I'm pretty sure I'll have DOMS tomorrow. :)

Oh, one last thought. I normally don't notice music unless I don't care for it, but since I figured I'd be doing a review, I tired to pay attention. Is music only, no vocals...some of it sounds familiar (e.g., a hint of Black Eyed Peas I've Got a Feeling, Rhianna's We Found Love...these are more extrapolated than Cathe uses for her cardio workouts).

Oh, almost forgot on of my favorite things! The stretch at the end was specific to bis and tris...does this mean each weight workout will have a stretch specific to the body parts used? If so, hurrah! That was the only thing I would have changed about STS.

I think you'll all love this workout, get pretty good DOMS from it, and be doing it for years to come. I can't wait to see how repeated use affects my bis and tris!

Okay, I'm finishing my protein shake, so I'm going to make a big bowl of popcorn and watch some of the other Xtrain workouts (yeah, it seems wrong as I'm typing it, but that's what's going to happen). Can't wait to read all of your reviews!

Sorry for the interrupted review...darned Cathe app! I'm grateful for it, but just can't wait for it to be fixed!

Oops sorry... U posted when i was typing. Lol lov the review! Great idea, popcorn n xtrain. ..nice! Thats what id do... Air popped of course : )

Hah...it is air popped, but with some butter flavored cooking spray sprayed on it to help the salt stick....tastes great that way, although you can't use Pam....that spray tastes awful!

Hah...it is air popped, but with some butter flavored cooking spray sprayed on it to help the salt stick....tastes great that way, although you can't use Pam....that spray tastes awful!

Yumm where do i get the butter flavored spray? I want some now..

The one I'm currently using is Our Family brand...I get it at a local supermarket and it may be their house brand...I haven't seen it anywhere else. Spectrum Naturals has an great coconut oil spray (not butter flavored) that is GREAT sprayed on popcorn, but its expensive. You just have to try a few to see what you like. :)

Thank you very much for your review! :D I am stoked!! New workouts motivate me. So glad that Cathe keeps them coming! :D

Really enjoyed your review, thank you! And great tip about the coconut oil spray from Spectrum, I use a butter flavored spray from Kernel Seasons, but it bothers me how unhealthy it must be.

Update - I have DOMS, especially in my biceps. Probably not helped in the short term by doing Hard Strikes this morning. :). It makes me wonder how Cathe and crew could film multiple workouts in one day. I think I could do that for cardio, but strength? Uh uh.

Didn't get my popcorn last night after all, so I think I'll have it for lunch and watch Supercuts. ;-)

Trixoo,
I loved reading your review! LOL about Greg:D:D I love that he is a part of this series too..:)

I'm not very good with reviews....I did chest/back/shoulders this morning and thoroughly enjoyed the workout. It was challenging and I know I'm going to have DOMS tomorrow. :cool:I can't wait to try all the other workouts!

The user guide

So, how is the user guide? Lots of pictures? Also, how many days a week are the 30 and 90 day programs?

Thanks!!

So, how is the user guide? Lots of pictures? Also, how many days a week are the 30 and 90 day programs?

Thanks!!

The users guide is really nice. It's all color with lots of photos. The rotations are 6 days a week. Here's a sample of he Xtrain 90 day rotation:

Week one

Mon - chest, Back & Shoulders

Tues - cardio leg Blast

Weds - hard Strikes: Premix 16 • Timesaver (No Conditioning)

Thurs a Bi’s & Tri’s: Premix 2 • Bi’s & Tri’s + Core #2

Fri- legs: Premix 3 • Legs All Sections (Standing + Barre + Ball & Chair + Floor) + Rear Delts

Sat - all out low impact hiiT: Premix 1 • Low Impact HiiT + Core #1

Sun - Off

WEek 2:

Mon - Burn Sets: Chest, Back & Shoulders

Tues - cardio leg Blast: Premix 1 • Cardio Leg Blast + Core #2

Weds - Burn Sets: Bi’s & Tri’s

Thurs - legs: Premix 3 • Legs All Sections (Standing + Barre + Ball & Chair + Floor) + Rear Delts

Fri - hard Strikes: Premix 16 • Timesaver (No Conditioning)

Sat - all out low impact hiiT: Premix 1 • Low Impact HiiT + Core #1

FYI, tabatacise and Supercuts don't show p until week 4.

In a minute I'll post a sample of the 90 day combined Xtrain/LIS rotation...

Here's the first 2 weeks of the 90 day Xtrain/LIS rotation:

Monday -Burn Sets: Chest, Back & Shoulders

Tuesday - cardio Supersets

Wednesday -Total Body Trisets: Lower Body

Thursday -Bi’s & Tri’s

Friday - low impact challenge

Saturday -Slide & glide

Sunday. - yoga relax or Day Off

WEEK 2

Monday - chest, Back & Shoulders

Tuesday-Turbo Barre

Wednesday-low impact challenge

Thursday-Burn Sets: Premix 2 • Bi’s & Tri’s + Core #1

Friday-all out low impact hiiT: Premix 1 • Low Impact HiiT + Core #1

Saturday-afterBurn

Sunday-yoga max or Day Off

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.