WW and Cathe (again)

runner2

Cathlete
HI everyone,
I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.I know that this topic as been kicked around here before I tried to find it but must admit that I didn't try very hard.
I started WW today.Just the points, not the flex points.I am suppose to have 18-23 points.
1) How many points is a Cathe cardio worth?
2) How many points is a Cathe Weights worth?
3) If the nutrtional value in the book v.s whats on the label says something different what do you go by? EX-Oatmel in the book 3 points,on the label 2 points.
4) What results have you guys gotten with doing this?
5) Do you always eat your activity points or do you save them for another day?

I think that may be it.I appreciate your guys help very much!
:)

Hi there!
Just curious as to why you aren't doing the flex points. That makes the program so much more doable to me. I usually ate some of my activity points as I was hungry if I did not. It has to do with what you are eating too. I dropped 23 pounds with WW & Cathe, but now struggle with 5 to 8 pounds that I gain, lose, gain, lose. When I took a look at WW Jump Start program and what they considered high intensity exercise I realized Cathe is a lot of activity points but I think that varies per person. I have a hard time knowing how to figure out activity points for weight tapes. Hopefully more people will jump in here with advice. Carol is Fit knows a lot about WW so hopefully she will see this and offer some advice. I think pretty much any diet with Cathe for exercise will be successful but the thing is to make sure you eat enough since even Cathe's "easiest" workouts seem to be higher intensity than what was demonstrated in the WW Jump Start kit. Good luck!
Angela:7

This is the formula I use for AP's:

Body Weight/124 X time/intensity level

Low intensity = 35 (50 - 65% maximum heartrate)
Moderate = 25 (65 - 75%)
High = 10 (75 - 90%)

I used this one when I was doing WW instead of using their AP's calculator because this one takes into account your own personal intensity. For example, if you weighed 100 pounds and worked at high intensity for 60 minutes, you would take 100 and divide it by 124, then multiply that number by 60, then divide that number by 10 to get your AP's. Using the example, the workout would give you 4.84 AP's, which you would round up to 5.

For points, this is the formula used to calculate them:

Calories + (Fat X 4) - (Fiber X 10) divide by 50

I always used the nutrional labels from the food to figure things out if I had a question, and I was told more than once on the WW message boards that the fiber has to be capped out at 4 in order for the points to be correct.

I was on WW for six months, and I lost 6 complete sizes, going from an 18 to my current 6! I lost over 40 pounds, but I had lost about 20 previous to starting WW using Atkins. I was on WW for six months.

AP's are supposed to be used only on the day you earn them, but they might have changed that. The way I figure it though, it's kind of "cheating" to use them on another day, since whatever you burned using them can't really "carry over" to the next day, from a physiological standpoint. I'm sure someone else will have another theory though, so as with any program, you have to experiment a bit and see what works for you.

Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps!!

Carol
:)

> 1) How many points is a Cathe cardio worth?
> 2) How many points is a Cathe Weights worth?
> 3) If the nutrtional value in the book v.s whats on the label
>says something different what do you go by? EX-Oatmel in the
>book 3 points,on the label 2 points.
> 4) What results have you guys gotten with doing this?
> 5) Do you always eat your activity points or do you save them
>for another day?

Hello! I have been a WW online member since July 2003. I have lost 51.5 lbs. (20 before WW and 31.5 since joining). Here is my best stab at answering your questions below. We have A Cathe Challenge Group on www.weightwatchers.com > Fitness Challenge forum. It's a group of us who are on WW AND big Cathe fans. We motivate each other. You do NOT have to be a WW online member to get to the message boards so please join us we'd love to have you chat. :)

1) Depends on your weight and the intensity level you maintain during the workout. Use your activity slider or you can go to caloriesperhour.com and enter your info and find out how many calories burned. 1AP = 100 cal roughly.
2) See 1.
3) Go by the label. WW book always gives WORST case (highest points) since they can't see your label.
4) Not sure if you are asking about WW or Cathe. I have gotten excellent results from both plus other exercise and also nutritional counseling (from a dietician).
5) I listen to my body and use them if and when I need them. I did not do well on the flex plan and I've gone back to winning points so I'm on the same plan you are following.

Hope some of this helps!

Hi runner2!

Another WW lifetime member here.

You've already gotton good advice here from the replies above. I just wanted to reinforce what was said.

Carol's formula seems to be similar to my Palm hand held program for determining AP. Mine says a 130 pound person will use 6 points for a high intensity 60" workout. A 140 poiund person will use 7 AP for the same workout.

I always recommend using the label, not the book, to calculate points.

Whether or not I use AP depends on how hungry I get. I just try to be honest with my hunger LOL!

Have you ever gone to DottiesWeightlosszone.com ? This is a useful site for WW followers.

Also there is another site something like Wendypoints. I don't remember it for certain, but it uses the old WW points system, and has you vary the points day by day, but you eat in your range for the week. By varying the points you are constantly challenging your metabolism. Kind of like a high intensity exercise day followed by a lower intensity day. You also vary how many AP points you eat. And one day per week you get to eat very high points. You may find a link to it at Dotties site.

Good luck!
Judy
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

ALL of the above advice is AWESOME, I can't think of anything to add. I'm on WW and have been doing Cathe workouts and running. I use Carol's formula for doing my activity and it works out great. It seems much more accurate.

GOOD LUCK,

Marcia.

RE: Activity Points & Strength work

Hey guys,
How do you figure out points for say PLB or an all weight tape such as ME or PH? Any ideas? Would intense weight work be considered high intensity? Thanks!
Angela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.