Wow - First Elliptical Experience

tygra

Cathlete
Wow! So, I had my first experience on one yesterday. I did an interval and hill program and it said I was in my zone for 55 minutes, traveled 8.7 miles and burned @ 765 calories?!??!! Wow! Could that be? My knees felt awesome afterwards, too!!!

Could this be as effective as running? Wow!!

Please share your experience!!

Jane

I don't know about the calories burned, but I too love my elliptical. I can go and go, with no problem to my hips and knees. I think if you really focus on form and giving it all you have, it can be just as good as running. I take it you have multiple resistance levels? I find if I alternate forward and backward pedaling I can focus on different areas of my lower body. You don't get that with running. (unless you run backwards?)

Sally

I would be a bit skeptical of those numbers, Going for 8.7 miles in 55 minutes gives you about a 6:20 min/mile pace which is in the league of the elite professional runners. Also running, even at a faster pace tends to burn at the maximum 100 cal per mile for an average woman, depending on your fitness level.
However, ellipticals do give you an awesome workout regardless, and are an excellent addition to anyone's routine. Keep up the good work!!!
ShellyC

Hi Jane,

I love that ellipticals are so easy on the knees, but can give a really great cardio workout.

However, I'm also a little skeptical about the accuracy of the numbers you got. I know when I do a Cardio Coach on the elliptical for that length of time, the distance is in the 5-6 mile range, and I maintain a challenging pace throughout. This is on different machines in a gym, same model, but different actual machine.

Hi - any way then to check the accuracy of the numbers? It was a combo of the intervals and hills and the time did not include the warm up and cool down - just said "time in zone". Hmmm - wondering if I'm reading the display right (darn, it sounded good). I'll have to check the book out. Thanks for the advise all otherwise I may be thinking I'm getting this wonderful workout and I'm not...

Overall, would you say it is or should be close to running?

I have cardio coach on the way. What is the average numbers to expect for an advance exerciser?

Thanks all!
Jane

Do you have a HRM? Did you have to enter your weight & age? I usually burn approximately 200 cals in 20 minutes (sometimes a little more if I'm feeling extra energetic).

The cal counters on those things are pretty much useless without an age/weight factor.

Nothing is close to running in my book. I hate it but I must admit I've never been more cut except when I incorporate it into my routine.

<<Nothing is close to running in my book. I hate it but I must admit I've never been more cut except when I incorporate it into my routine.>>

Agreed. Running is definitely harder.

I usually work to 3 miles and that is in 45 mins. I do steady state! I usually burn 300+ calories. I sometimes think it is wrong in calculations but hey I will take it. Running is definately harder than elliptical. Not quite sure why because it feels like the same motion when you get goin on the elliptical. I love mine!! So the numbers may not be right but the workout is beneficial!! YAY keep going...

Hi,

Yes I entered my age and weight. I don't have a separate heart rate monitor (only the one that came with elliptical and the contact bars on the elliptical). Wondering now (course I'm at work and it's not here) if I was reading the disply wrong. Will have to check it out.

For those runners, did you start on an elliptical or do you think by starting there, if I start to incorporate outdoor runs if the elliptical would help condition me?

TIA!

>
>Agreed. Running is definitely harder.
>

I don't know. There are many, many different ways to utilize an elliptical machine. I've gotten better, harder workouts and burned many more calories on an elliptical than I have running--and saved my knees. I have a whole host of knee and joint problems so running is just out for me. When I use the elliptical I don't just go easy, though. I go hard and for me, find the elliptical to be much more challenging both on my heart and my muscles.

Allison

I doubt the numbers are accurate but that doesn't mean you didn't get a great workout just the same. I have an elliptical and I love it and it kicks my butt! I use it with audio guided workouts like Cardio Coach and, like others have said, it's a fantastic cardio workout without the wear and tear on your joints. A lot of runners use it for cross training.

I love my elliptical! The hills are harder on it than my treadmill. I still run on the treadmill, but the elliptical gives me another way to get a great cardio workout without the pounding. I think it is an excellent piece of equipment.:)

And Cardio Coach is awesome, too!:) Enjoy!

Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.