Would you work out?

melimcn

Cathlete
Hi ladies,
Really on the fence here. I came down with the stomach flu on Sunday and spent most of the day worshipping the porcelain god, if you will. I've spent the last 2 days in bed resting, and yesterday was finally able to eat again.

Today I feel like I should work out, since I'm already down 2 days this week. But I'm still a little tired. Basically, my mind is telling me to at least do some lifting with GSs or something, and that I'm fine, to push through it. My body is telling me to take an unplanned rest week.

What would you do? I'm 13 weeks along at this point.

Thanks!

Melissa - If it was me, I would probably just do some yoga and maybe a stretch workout. I would take it easy because your body has taken a beating and your resistance is probably still pretty low.

Thanks Liann!
I think that sounds good. I'm always warring between what is "me being lazy" and "me taking care of myself".

Melissa,
I can relate.It hard to rest when you are used to pushing and getting things done. I usually workout 6 days a week. Well this week I haven't exercised at all. So 4 days without a workout. I've had terrible hemorrhoids. Today I am feeling better. I feel like I should at least hit the floor and do a few push-ups or something.

hi ladies. my son is 8 weeks old and I struggled with the idea of not working out some days when I was pregnant, and I am glad that I took some lazy days. It is hard when you are used to be at the top of fitness, but you should listen to your body. you will be able to go crazy when baby arrives! And I promise you bounce right back. I was doing cathe and runnign within a week. Good luck!

hi ladies. my son is 8 weeks old and I struggled with the idea of not working out some days when I was pregnant, and I am glad that I took some lazy days. It is hard when you are used to be at the top of fitness, but you should listen to your body. you will be able to go crazy when baby arrives! And I promise you bounce right back. I was doing cathe and runnign within a week. Good luck!

Good to hear you bounced back so quickly. I want to get right back to working out again too.

Feel free to mesage me anytime. I am already back in my old clothes, running 10 miles pushing two kids and doing insanity. it was important that I rested when I needed it while pregnant. I am happy to offer any insight that you need or motivation! I love the postpartum forum, lots of good peeps!

Thanks 23jimbeam!
Part of my problem is that this is my second child, and my experience after the first was just like yours. I bounced back very quickly, started working out 4 days after birth, etc...
So I know how critical it is to stay in shape during pregnancy so you don't lose that.
I'm hoping to have the same experience and quick return this time around as well. So that's always in the back of my mind when I take more than an extra day off. :(

I chose to lift with the gym styles this week, and take cardio off. I'm feeling back to normal now, so a good strength series was the right choice for me, I think.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Okay, 23jimbeam, how did you do that?! (Bounce back so quickly after baby) I'm hoping for my next pregnancy to work out at a higher intensity so I can jump back faster postpartum. Did you jog during your pregnancy? I'm thinking of doing a half marathon in September--I figure if I can get used to jogging, that would be a great workout for at least the first half of my next pregnancy (if not longer).

:DI did run through my pregnancy, at least 4 days a week and did videos on other days. I did listen to my body and took some chunks of time off to let my body rest. I also ate better this time around, I was a whale with my first. My doctor was fine with me exercising as long as I kept things safe. It really did help with bouncing back, but I think chasing around a kid and moving across the state at 36 weeks had something to do with it, too! Feel free to PM me any time. Congratulations!

Thanks for the info--I really think I will take up running since it is a great workout to do while pregnant. (I was always nervous of toppling over doing step workouts during my pregnancy.) I'm not pregnant again just yet, but I'm planning for the next one. I've been so happy with #1 (born in August) and my husband and I hope to have two more. I just hope to stay in great shape the next time around.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.