would just like to vent

pixie9

Cathlete
Hi ladies-

I just wanted to vent a little about my recent house guest. I keep thinking about it so I thought I'd share. Anyway, I had someone visiting last week who is a very dominating personality type. The kind of person who tells you how to do everything!!! I was trying not to let it bother me but when we exercised together, it became quite annoying.

First, let me tell you that she fashions herself a dancer and does not believe in doing any sort of exercise without making it look really dancy(like ballerina arms, pointed toes, etc).
So, I choose to do RS with her and she couldn't pick up the routines. I kept having to stop and teach stuff to her which was fine, but she kept complaining that the moves were "stupid" and "didn't make sense". And she kept making everything look like a cheerleading or ballerina move stating that she just couldn't bring herself to make her moves look ugly like Cathe was doing!! We didn't get through all of it which dissapointed me but we did most of it. Then the next day, she wanted to work out with me again. I told her that I'd pick something easier but she stated that what we did the previous day was really easy for her and she wanted something challenging(even thought she couldn't finish it). So, I put in the Gauntlet.

Of course, this was probably mean of me looking back but she wanted something challenging right? Anyway, this time she kept saying that Cathe and her crew were too masculine looking and they were lifting too much weight. She said that she wasn't going to life ANYTHING over 5 pounds (even when she squated!!!) because anything more than that and she would turn into a man or something. I noticed while I was lifting my barbell she kept rolling her eyes like I was doing something ridiculous or crazy. She also said that although I was still feminine looking, if I wasn't careful, I could easily start looking like them!!! Like that would be a bad thing???!!!

We were set up so she was sort of behind me but I could still watch her to make sure she was ok. Anyway, I caught her cheating on almost all of the blast sections which I thought was a good idea because she wasn't conditioned to do high intensity stuff, but after each one she kept saying how easy they were!!!x( x( x(
Towards the end, we ended up more next to eachother so when an intense blast came along(like the terminator thrusters and jump kicks) she just stood there and stared at me(I guess she didn't want to modify in front of me or something). She said that those moves were just ridiculous and too diffucult for no reason. At the end, she said that workouts that were that diffucult were too intense and lifting heavy weights was a waste of time for women.

Ok, let me tell you I was angry and of course defensive!! I consider Cathe to be my teacher and the gold standard of home exercise. I tried to explain to her why I thought heavy weights and high intensity was beneficial but she would have none of it. She actually laughed me off!! Now, I'm used to people blowing me off about exercise stuff (even on this board sometimes) but man was I pi$$ed !! I tried to be logical and set up arguments as to why challenging yourself is important for fitness gains but all I really wanted to do is give her the major smackdown with some KPC moves!! I didn't of course, I just let her say what she wanted and carried on as if it didn't bother me but it really did! This person is married to my cousin so it's not like I'm not going to see her again. I suppose by that time I'll have gotten over it.

Thanks for letting me vent and go on and on. I just wanted to share somthing that I know many of you can empathize with. I guess I just wanted to get some support from my fellow Catheites!
Thanks ladies
Carolyn

Thank goodness she was just a temporary house guest. We all know what a GOOD workout is sooo keep at it. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said she didn't want to "modify" in front of you. You gooo Carolyn!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Carolyn, she's jealous because she couldn't keep up with you. ;)

I'm always amazed by how rude and unkind people can be.

Michele

I just started laughing when I saw that you put her through the Gauntlet! Good for you! She's probably at home suffering through major DOMS, which serves her right.

She is just afraid, that is all. Trust me. She can't hang! She is trying to cop out by making a ton of excuses and then trying to glorify herself with her so-called moves so she seems like she is better than you.
I have had others workout with me and offer lame excuses as to why they/he/she could not finish. Just can't hang, that is all it is! She isn't tough, and lifting just 5 pounds is not going to do much good. What a wimp! She won't have to worry though, she will never ever look fit with that attitude! As if looking fit/buff is masculine?

Charlotte~~

Should I post her address so we can all show up at her doorstep and force her to do IMAX3(on an 8 inch step of course) with no modifying??? I'd love that!!}(
Carolyn

She ripped the work outs apart to make herself feel better because she was not in good enough shape to complete them the way you can. She was embarrassed of this and was trying to save face IMO. This does not excuse her behavior...it's just what I feel was the cause for it...

I can feel your pain! I am really pissed for you. She was a guest in your house, she should not have been insulting you! How was the rest of your time with her? Was it only the workouts that she complained about or was it everything??? I am so sorry! I can relate and I hope that you feel better now!!!

Missy

I know for a fact that I would not be inviting her to work out with me again if I were in your position! I agree with everyone who said that she was your guest, and she certainly had no right to insult you. I don't think I'd be inviting her back anytime soon! Maybe they could stay at a hotel and she could come over AFTER you'd worked out!
Just Do It! :)

As I was reading your post, I was suddenly remember the steps I learned last night in Low Max. I think Cathe called it a smash kick?

I hope you are feeling better. Remember, you can't help people who don't want to be helped. It's a law of nature unfortunately.

Carolyn-
I bet you bucks she owns a Cathe workout before the year is up.:) She was just trying to cover up because she couldn't handle it.}(

Too funny....It's like Barbie meeting G.I. Jane:
G.I.Jane: "Drop down and give me 20!"
Barbie: "20 what?"

ROTFLMAO! I personally do not think I would have dealt w/ her. But like you said, she's a family member. Just try not to laugh when she comes to you in the future for form tips.}(

WOW! what an evil bi... .oops... probably can't say that on here!

anyways.. you know what i mean! you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Well, the rest of our time with her was similar. She just takes over everything. She cooked every night which is fine if you're doing it to be nice, but she did it because I think she thinks she's the only person in the world who can cook!

I was giving my DH a haircut one day(which I do every 2 weeks or so) and she came over and started telling me all of the parts I was missing. Eventually, she took the haircut over. This was early on in the visit so even though I thought it was really weird, I let it slide because she actually has more haircutting experience than I do. But after the haircut, my DH looked in the mirror, and stated that he liked it, but that he liked my haircuts better. What a guy!

The absolute strangest thing she did was take over when I was giving my husband a neck massage. He slept on his neck weird and asked me to rub it. She came right over and started pressing all of her fingers against his neck. She started a story (while she was doing this!!) about how she massages all of her friends necks because they only trust her to do it!!! I actually just gave her a blank/bewildered stare(like what the fu@# do you think you are doing???) and she walked off. It was really just one thing after another with her. And to top it off, both of them smoked!! Now that I'm reading this, they sound like the houseguests from hell don't they?

Needless to say, we won't be having them back anytime soon! Maybe never! It was just too stressful for me being around someone like that! There are actually more stories from the visit but these are just the fun highlights!!

And thanks for the support ladies! It just feels better to vent to people who understand!!
C

Ugh! I am so sorry! I am happy for you that it is over! Good riddance!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel sorry for your cousin. :-(

Missy

Always know the heart and soul of a person before you welcome them into your home.

As far as loving Cathe and her workouts...it's like batter, you either love to lick the batter or you don't, I find that people either are into Cathe or they've never heard of her and don't care.

It's the way of the world.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.